GliderCENTRAL

POM ON OR OFF?

Posted By: Anonymous

POM ON OR OFF? - 08/18/08 08:07 AM

What is everybody's opinions....

When neuter would you rather leave pom on or have it removed?

does it make a difference in the behaviour of the suggie (smellyness etc)
Posted By: Mel2mdl

Re: POM ON OR OFF? - 08/18/08 11:00 AM

Originally Posted By: natalia305
When neuter would you rather leave pom on or have it removed?

I think it is a matter of aesthetics. I've had both done and have been pleased with both. From what I've heard, gliders are less likely to mess with it if it is Pom off, plus it is easier surgery, meaning less time under.

Nope - either way, the testicles are gone. So no hormones, no smell, less aggressiveness - same as dogs. (Oddly enough, cat and dog neuters are now leaving the 'poms' as well! Neither one of my cats looks neutered, but they are!)

Re: POM ON OR OFF? - 08/18/08 11:06 AM

Well my vet says he can either castrate or vasectomize (excuse my spelling?) and he said that with vasectomy he just ties the tubes (???hope i'm wording this right???) and that it is less invasive but that it wont change his behavious or smell, only that he cant make babies?
Posted By: Mel2mdl

Re: POM ON OR OFF? - 08/18/08 11:18 AM

I know with people, that's what they do, but I've never heard it done with animals? I mean, part of the reason for neutering is to decrease the risk of testicular cancer - why leave them in? Plus, the tubes are so tiny, how could you be sure? I would definitely opt for removing them!
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: POM ON OR OFF? - 08/18/08 12:10 PM

I prefer pom on. I feel the opposite, that they are less likely to mess with it if the pom is still there. My vet normally takes it off, but when I had my first one done with it on, she said 'that is easier, just like a cat neuter.' I have never had a problem with leaving it on.
Posted By: morksmom

Re: POM ON OR OFF? - 08/18/08 01:37 PM

My vet said there is no reason to remove.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: POM ON OR OFF? - 08/18/08 04:23 PM

It is going to depend on what your vet is most comfortable with also, although some vets will do it either way, if asked. I like poms on, because there is no glue or sutures, and all 3 of my boys have gone back in with their cage mates the same night.

BUT, my vet also said that regardless of how the procedure is done, every neuter she has ever done on a SG, the boy has woken up and gone straight for the incision site like a crazy man. She (personally, because she doesn't trust a vet tech to do it) watches them as they wake up and holds a tongue depressor over the incision site as they wake. She says they go after the tongue depressor and once they are completely out of the anesthesia, they snap out of it and are fine. dunno
Posted By: Xfilefan

Re: POM ON OR OFF? - 08/18/08 05:30 PM

Quote:
gliders are less likely to mess with it if it is Pom off

Actually, gliders are more likely to leave it alone pom ON and no glue or stitches.

I recommend pom on unless the reason for the neuter is hormonal and Self Mutilation.

That doesn't mean the glider won't SM, just less likely. With proper pain management, the odds drop considerably either way.
Posted By: Gossamer

Re: POM ON OR OFF? - 08/18/08 10:28 PM

My male is neutered and he still scent marks like crazy. They do smell still. I can't even imagine what it would smell like if he wasn't neutered.
Posted By: Their_mommy

Re: POM ON OR OFF? - 08/18/08 10:38 PM

Gosh I am confused now. Mickey will be going in the end of this week for his little clip and have been reading all there is here for what is best.
I would like to get rid of the smell but he isn't real bad as I clean the cage every 2 days so it never gets built up.
But it would be nice to not have to deal with it.
I think however, I will go with pom on and hope for the best.
Thanks for everyones input.

Re: POM ON OR OFF? - 08/18/08 10:44 PM

Both my boys had a pom on neuter. One was neutered before I got him, the other was neutered recently after he started to get his man odor and his bald spot was coming in.

It's been over two weeks now since the latest boy had the neuter and he no longer has the musky smell or the appearance of an emerging bald spot. Nor does he vigorously mark me anymore and he isn't as fussy with his cage mate.
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: POM ON OR OFF? - 08/18/08 10:46 PM

What diet do you feed? My males don't smell at all. (Timmy is getting there....lol)
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL