GliderCENTRAL

Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions

Posted By: Dalysugar

Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/19/09 05:34 PM

I'm on the phone with Connie and her little Roo has his penis stuck in his fur and the very tip is black. He won't hold still. He is licking it and she is holding him as best as she can. She tried KY to release it from the fur, and finally got it.
She is on her way to the vet now.
He will not leave it alone.
No swelling.
Any advice and prayers would be appreciated.
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/19/09 05:36 PM

She's doing exactly what needs to be done! Thank you for being there to help!
Let us know how Roo is doing.

Moving this to Health & Hygiene.
Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/19/09 05:39 PM

If it is necrotic, it has to be surgically removed. It is a simple procedure and most gliders heal well from it.

remind her to have him tested for UTI, bladder infection, etc.

Wishing her luck!
Posted By: chattrbabe

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/19/09 05:39 PM

Oh goodnss Roo! Look what you're up to now! I hope you pull through this and you too Connie! hug2

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/19/09 05:53 PM

Thanks for getting back to us guys!!!
I'm still on the phone with Connie.
She just got to the vet.
She and Roo are in with the vet right now.
The tip is still black.
I was hoping that once she got it unstuck from the fur, it would return to normal. Has not yet.
It is still hanging out.
The vet says it is not neucrotic. But that she is going to put him under to put the penis back.
Getting fecal and urinalisis done too.
Posted By: LabNGliderMom

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/19/09 05:58 PM

prayers for Connie & Roo!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/19/09 06:01 PM

If the tip is black then it is already dead and will nto turn pink again. The vet will determine if it will slough off on its own, or if it needs to be surgically removed. Either way Roo will need to be in an e-collar until it is healed as it sounds like he is grooming it and that will only slow healing.

Feel better Roo! And good luck Connie! We're allpulling for both of you!!!!!

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/19/09 06:41 PM

Roo is in surgery right now...
Posted By: gliderma

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/19/09 06:58 PM

Please let Her know we have her & Roo in our thoughts & prayers!

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/19/09 08:52 PM

:gluck: feel better ROO!!! i would start trying to make one of those collars for when he gets out from under the needle thumb
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/19/09 09:43 PM

We're back home. Thank you, Rainey, for staying on the phone with me! Your moral support was great and I needed the reminder to stay calm for my baby!!! mlove hug2 heart Thanks to everyone who sent prayers for Roo and me, but esp for Roo! thanks thanks thanks

He was fine at 8 this morning when I did my furry body inspections. Five hours later, we're flying to the vet.

The vet took him as soon as she got done with another animal that was under anesthesia. She put Roo under and put his penis back in. She said this was the first time she had seen one that was completely prolapsed and had a difficult time getting it back in. There was swelling but it wasn't too bad. The tip was just swollen and was still viable at this point. Hopefully, with the meds and treatment, he will be fine.

Because she had so much trouble getting his penis to go back in and stay in, she elected to put in a purse string. That didn't work. The first time we started to leave the vet, I hadn't even gotten buckled in my seat yet, when I looked and his penis had come out about 1/2"! Sigh. I took him back inside and they had to put him under again and put in a second purse string. Thankfully, he did very well. It seems to be ok, with just a 1/4" sticking out, which I have covered with KY jelly.

She gave Roo sub-q fluids, which I have to repeat 3x tomorrow, torb for pain, with instructions to give metacam at home for 3 days and Bactrim for five days. The stitches come out Friday at 2:30. I also had her do a snap fecal, which was negative. He didn't co-operate on the urinalysis but since he's going to be on antibiotics, I won't try again for a urinalysis, unless he has this problem again. Roo has always been an over-zealous flosser, so it may. There's no point in doing a urinalysis now, since he's going to be on antibiotics.

He's in my hand sleeping now. Whew! I love all my gliders very much, but Roo is my BABY!

I want to point out something very important here.....

Today's visit was $120. This didn't include metacam, which I have in my emergency kit. It didn't include the antibiotic, which I also have in my emergency kit. It didn't include sub-q supplies, also in my emergency kit. Those items would have added another $53.75 to my bill.

At NO time, did the thought/worry EVER cross my mind of, "How am I going to pay for this and/or can I find a glider experienced vet to care for him???"

I have a generous emergency vet fund that I do NOT touch except for my gliders' vet care. Period. I have THREE glider experienced vets lined up for regular and emergency care.

Roo got the immediate help he needed and deserved, because I was prepared, as a responsible pet owner needs to be. I could concentrate completely on him and his care and nothing else.

Please, if you haven't gotten around to finding a vet for regular care and emergencies; if you haven't started an emergency vet fund.....do so NOW. Your gliders' health and life, depends on you, because they can't take care of themselves.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/19/09 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: oOcornflakeOo
:gluck: feel better ROO!!! i would start trying to make one of those collars for when he gets out from under the needle thumb

Already have several ecollars in my emergency kit! LOL!
Posted By: gliderma

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/19/09 09:50 PM

The time is now to have e collars and emergency supplies, including $$$ & a vet ready to use at a moments notice! Get a bag or box and stock it with the necessary supplies or get one of them already made up from TGI. You may never have to use it, but when you do need it, it's there!!!!

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/19/09 09:59 PM

hug2 I'm glad to hear that Roo is safe and back home Connie! Thank goodness you were prepared on all levels (except emotionally) which I don't think any of us can be in a moment of crisis with our babies. I'm happy that Raine was on the phone with you for support!
Keep little Roo in my thoughts and prayers. hug2
Posted By: Cora

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/19/09 10:52 PM

hoping for a speedy recovery for Roo!!! (((((HUGS))))

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/20/09 02:51 AM

Well, Roo is in the pouting stage of ecollar wearing. First, he hung upside down by his back feet for about 15 minutes, not moving, until I got worried and took him down. He immediately began fighting it, even tho I tried to distract him with every forbidden treat possible, including Fruit Loops. Those who know me well, know how rarely I give any treats at all, let alone Fruit Loops! At first, I was thrilled when he chowed down on yoggies, mealies and a Fruit Loop.......till I realized, he was only chomping down because it was something he could BITE, not cause he was hungry. I put him back in the hosp cage and now he's sitting in one position...with his back to me...plotting his revenge should I doze off for a split second tonight and happen to leave the cage open. I've doctored his bottom with Neosporin w/pain relief and Emu oil, forced meds and fluids into him and am now letting him pout and plot, under my close observation. I tried petting and talking to him. It's very plain to see, I'm absolutely, quite deliberately, being snubbed. Possibly even shunned. It's not funny to me now, but I'm sure it will be, once this is over. Please, time, go very fast so I know he'll be ok! It's breaking my heart with worry right now. And I hope he'll forgive me when this is all over. Did I mention, he's my BABY? upset cry worried upset cry worried upset cry worried upset cry worried

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/20/09 03:15 AM

Mr. Roo, what have you done!?!?

He will get over himself lol

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/20/09 03:25 AM

He let me hold him and snuggle under my chin for all of two minutes, then tried to bite me, so I tried again to feed him or give him a drink. Needless to say, he's back in the cage, hanging by his feet, upside down, worrying the bejeebers out of his mamma!!!

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/20/09 03:39 AM

shakehead Poor guy! I guess he's trying to OM (owner mutilate) since he can't SM with that e-collar on. dunno I'm sorry you guys are going to have a not fun night. I'm glad the e collar is working though! dance agree

I'm sending hug2 your way and you guys will be in my thoughts! mlove I'm so glad that it's looking like you caught this early on!

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/20/09 04:27 AM

OK. Maybe I'm checking too much. I don't know. He has poohed but as far as I know, not peed. Here are some pics I took of his bottom. The large circle is shows the cloaca while the smaller circle shows the penis and tip. I hope you can see it well enough. It's rather difficult to take a good pic of an uncooperative, pouting glider.

The first two pics are close-ups of cloaca 4 and 5. In one of the other pics, it looks like the tip of his penis is black, but if you look close, you'll see it's really his fur. He is eating and drinking. Pouting while doing it, but at least getting something in his tummy.

Roo cloaca pics
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/20/09 04:30 AM

Ok, I admit I only skimmed this because I came to the "purse string" part and got very worried. The cloaca is a does everything opening. It can not be safely stitched shut. How is he going to pass stools?

Please call Boubon.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/20/09 04:39 AM

Originally Posted By: suggiemom_1980
OK. Maybe I'm checking too much. I don't know. He has poohed but as far as I know, not peed. Here are some pics I took of his bottom. The large circle is shows the cloaca while the smaller circle shows the penis and tip. I hope you can see it well enough. It's rather difficult to take a good pic of an uncooperative, pouting glider.

The first two pics are close-ups of cloaca 4 and 5. In one of the other pics, it looks like the tip of his penis is black, but if you look close, you'll see it's really his fur. He is eating and drinking. Pouting while doing it, but at least getting something in his tummy.

Roo cloaca pics

She said he did poop

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/20/09 04:40 AM

It isn't a tight purse string. He can and has passed stool of normal size. The purse string is at the very top and the very bottom, making the opening just a bit smaller, to hopefully keep the penis in. The vet wasn't sure what else to do since it kept coming back out each time she put it in. I can't tell for sure but it looks like the tip may be sticking out, just the tip, and it looks black to me. That's why I took and shared the pics. He's not trying to bother with it, but I don't know if he needs to go back to the vet tonight, if I need to give it time for the swelling to go back down or if everything is ok and I'm just worrying needlessly. He's had his pain med and antibiotic. I've got the cloaca covered in Emu oil and Neosporin w/pain relief. If I need to get him back to the vet, I'll leave right now. This is a first for me so I will definitely defer to experienced advice!

The tip didn't look black to me till he poohed. Could the pooh have discolored it? It was red before he poohed and it wasn't protruding from the opening, but right at it.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/20/09 04:57 AM

OK. I called my vet & emailed her the pics. She said as long as he didn't seem in pain, hissing or agitated, is eating and drinking, has meds inside and out, he would prob be ok till morning, so I guess I'll be at her door when she opens.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/20/09 05:16 AM

I'm going to have to buy stock in Clairol because it's going to take a lot of hair dye to cover the gray hairs I'm getting from this.

I just checked his bottom again. He was not amused. The black thing I thought was the tip of his penis was actually a tiny bit of stool that just hadn't come all the way out. I did indeed see the tip and it is a normal red color and normal size. He also happily peed all over my shirt as I was looking. I'm sure he got some small measure of revenge considering I was looking at, and medicating, his bottom yet again.

He ate more and even played a few seconds with a toy in the cage, till he realized he couldn't play with it like he wanted to. Now, he's back to the upside down pouting. If he wasn't so miserable, I'd be laughing my buns off.

OK. I'll promise to stop panicking over every single strand of fur movement and let you all go to sleep. :-)

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/20/09 05:34 AM

Connie, if you feel the need, I sleep with my phone beside me. I don't mind be woken up (not that I sleep much anyway). If there is anything I can do to help, just give me a call. Even if you think it is something silly.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questions - 08/20/09 05:42 AM

Thank you, Teresa! I appreciate your offer! I'm trying to calm down so Roo won't pick up on my anxiety. I do feel much better now that I know the 'black tip' was just pooh and his penis isn't worse and actually looks a tiny bit better. I promise tho, I will definitely call if something doesn't look or feel right. For now, my gut is telling me he's going to be ok and when it comes to my babies, my gut has been pretty right on.
Posted By: KattyM

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/20/09 07:06 AM

Wow, poor Roo (and you!). hug2 Sending prayers he continues to heal. Make sure that e-collar stays on, because the Neosporin with pain relief is not good if he licks it. wink

That's great you caught him in time before he self mutilated, were prepared with emergency funds and supplies, and especially that you have glider-knowledgeable vets. If they're not all in our Vet Directory, please add their information for others. thumb

If he isn't neutered, you may want to consider that as a long-term option to keep him not only sweet but reduce the chance of this happening again. None of my neutered boys floss, although I had to take Hiroshi to the vet because his penis wouldn't retract one time while he was intact. I also caught it in time, but it sure was scary!

:gluck:

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/20/09 07:50 AM

I'm watching him like a clock. The ecollar seems to be a good fit. He got out of it the first try so I had to tighten it up a notch. I know he can't lick the neo w/pain, so I'm making sure the collar stays put!

I added my vets last week I believe. My favorite is the one who isn't an exotic but is glider experienced and eager to learn and research more about them!

I had Roo neutered the week he finally reached 75 grams. I think that was back in March. He has always been a flosser and worried me because his penis always hung out half an inch when he slept. I was able to post several pics showing what a bifurcated penis looked like, because of this. I carried KY with me any time I took him with me and used it every time he fell asleep. He seemed to be doing better during his sleep, but apparently not good enough, so I'm going to be checking several times a day as before.

It is extremely scary! I keep thinking of how bad it can turn out, in an instant and it makes my heart race with fear. I am so thankful I had emergency supplies, vet funds and a good vet who took care of him right away. He was in surgery an hour after I discovered the problem and my vet apologized for making me wait because she had a dog under anesthesia! I love my vet! She's awesome!

Roo has decided to forgive me. He's drunk quite a bit of HPW mixed with Ensure, a bit of pedialyte and a little bit of pureed fruits & veggies, plus some water. I'm still taking him back in the morning....well, later TODAY......and talk about having at least one stitch removed. He's peeing ok but I'm concerned about the pooh not coming all the way out on it's own. I don't think that's a good thing. The second stitch may be hindering it. I check his bottom about every 20-30 minutes and keep it coated with Emu oil because there's still about 1/4" of the penis tip hanging out. He did fall asleep under my chin for half an hour, which made me feel really good that I was able to comfort him enough so he could sleep. Still five hours before my vet opens. Gonna be a long, worrisome night.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/20/09 01:08 PM

Poor Roo is Dr Jecky/Mr Hyde. One minute he wants to cuddle under my chin, the next minute, he wants to bite it off.

He's been able to potty just fine, the cloaca has gone down in size, he doesn't seem to be in pain, is eating and drinking good. But I'm taking him back to the vet in an hour when she opens. My gut is telling me to. It's not a sense of urgency, but definitely a need to take him. Just don't know why. I'll update when I get back.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/20/09 01:56 PM

It's always best to follow your gut feeling. Hopefully, this time is just the combination of everything that's happened over the past 18 hours and your uncertain about his progress.
Will be praying that everything is alright! hug2
Posted By: ozzi

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/20/09 02:42 PM

My heart was racing just reading all of this. Poor Roo, and Poor you tant
angel Praying that Roo gets all better quick angel

Pat

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/20/09 03:17 PM

I'm on the phone with Connie and she is at the vet again with Roo.

They need some prayers!!!
She is really scared for him.

Roo's penis went necrotic overnight and the vet is going to have to remove about 1/2 inch.

She asked me to get on here and update everyone.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/20/09 03:50 PM

Oh no... poor little Roo!
Posted By: mommawannabe

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/20/09 04:19 PM

Oh no...poor Roo. Hang in there buddy we're all pulling for you. Connie, keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers. hug2 hug2

Anna

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/20/09 04:20 PM

Let her know that there have been many gliders do just fine with a partial penis amputation. While we don't like our babies having to go through this, it isn't as bad as it first seems.

My questions are these. Is he neutered? And if so, was it pom on or off? In most cases, pom on is the way to go but with him now having penis issues, pom off is the better choice as it further reduces the hormones (the scrotal sac produces low levels of hormones too). If he is already neutered but pom on, it might be in his best interest to have the pom removed at this point since he is under anesthsia anyway and will have to be in an ecollar.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/20/09 04:39 PM

Still on the phone with Connie.
She says thanks for the thoughts and prayers... please keep them coming!
Her vet is waiting for a call back from Dr. Bradly for a consultation.
Roo is currently on her chest under her chin and they are still at the vets. He is sleeping comfortably.
Roo is neutered with pom on.
She will talk to her vet about removing the pom.
Posted By: SugareeErin

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/20/09 04:56 PM

Connie many prayers for Roo on the way! I hope all goes well with the surgery. hug2 hug2

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/20/09 05:01 PM

Dr. Bradley is great. She did a penis amputation on a glider for me and he did fantastic. He had previously been neutered but got over zealous with flossing and irritated his penis so it wouldn't retract all the way. Surgery went well and he didn't even need an ecollar post surgery. He was on pain meds and an antibiotic post surgery. He was under my constant 24 hour observation for about 3 days to make sure all was healing fine.

Hang in there Connie!

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/20/09 05:10 PM

Connie and Roo just went back to start his surgery.
She gets to stay in there with him, so we have hung up so she can use her phone to take a few pictures.
She is going to call back in a little bit when they are done.
I've been reading her your posts. Thanks everyone!

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/20/09 07:16 PM

I talked to Connie again.
They are headed home!
I'm sure she will be on later to update further.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/20/09 08:31 PM

Raine, thanks for keep us updated.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/20/09 09:16 PM

Thank you again, Rainey, for being my life line! I was so scared but having you on the phone and knowing you were on GC, made a world of difference!!!

We're home and Roo is doing pretty good! Trying desperately to get the ecollar off (thankfully without success). He's quite flexible, is trying several positions I didn't know he could get in to! He did have to have about 1/2" of his penis amputated. I talked to my vet about removing the pom. She left the decision up to me. Teresa, thank you for the advice! I did choose to have the pom removed, for Roo only. I will still have my last two neuters done as I have before.....pom on, no stitches, no glue, local given.

My vet decided to use stitches and glue on the pom removal site, since he was going to be in an ecollar for a week anyway. I did have her give a local in the pom area. Due to the nature of the surgery, a local couldn't be given at the second site.

As Rainey stated, my vet did a consult with Dr Bradley. Her (Bradley) main concern was Roo's pain management after surgery. Per her instructions, my vet gave Roo fluids and pain meds (torb and metacam) before surgery, plus Roo had also been given a dose of metacam less than 24 hours before surgery. He is to be given metacam 1-2 x per 24 hrs (12 hrs between doses), per 3 days (Dr Bradley said 7 days but my vet and I were not comfortable with that length of time. If anyone thinks differently, please let me know), butorphanal every 6-8 hours for 2-3 days and tramadol, 2 x per 24 hrs (12 hrs between doses) for 2-3 days.

Roo goes back tomorrow afternoon to remove one purse stitch. He goes back next Thursday to have all remaining stitches removed. He is to remain in an ecollar till all stitches are removed.

The surgery and meds for today came to $160. Again the amount was NOT something I had to worry about, nor where to find an emergency glider vet to care for my Roo. If you don't have an emergency fund or a glider vet, PLEASE, do it now BEFORE you have a glider emergency in your house! If I didn't have both for Roo, what do you think would have been the outcome of his situation???

Right now, he's sitting in the hosp cage, switching between pouting and trying to wrangle the ecollar off.

If anyone has any suggestions, please don't keep them to yourself! Roo and I would LOVE to hear any and all of them!

I took pics of both surgeries and I'll upload them later.

Thank you to everyone for your prayers and advice!!!

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/20/09 10:21 PM

No problem, glad I could help!!!
Posted By: Kacy

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/20/09 10:50 PM

I am sooo glad it sounds like everything is going to work out for this little guy!

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/20/09 11:46 PM

Sending lots of prayers your way! I'm sorry that Roo is having such a difficult time adjusting to the e collar, usually it takes a day or two before they realize that it's on for the duration and will give up on trying to take it off. Other than what your already doing, there isn't much else that you can do to ease his frustration with it.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 02:11 AM

I am glad Roo is ok and on his road to recovery!

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 02:18 AM

I finally got a chance to upload and describe the pictures of Roo's surgeries today.

They are the first 16 photos. I wasn't thinking when I took him to the vet and didn't take my camera. Please excuse the quality of these pics. I used my cell phone.

WARNING: VERY GRAPHIC PHOTOS OF SURGICAL PROCEDURES!!!!

Roo's surgeries

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 02:46 AM

Connie, good for you sticking by Roo the way you have. It takes a strong heart to watch surgery on your own family/animals, much less to take photos.

I understand about the pom off just for Roo. I feel that pom on neutering is best MOST of the time but when there is another issue going on that may be hormone related (such as with Roo) the best is to remove as many sources of those hormones as posible. This is one of the things the SM group (Bourbon, Mary, Jen etc) have learned over the years of helping gliders. In Roo's case, he was already neutered but having issues that could be hormone related. I think you made the right choice even though it meant an extra proceedure for him.

Thank you for keeping us updated and know you and Roo are in my thoughts. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

Oh, and on the metacam...my personal opinion is no more than three days because of the risk of liver damage.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 03:03 AM

Thank you, Teresa. I took photos to hopefully help others. It may be hard to watch his surgeries and take photos, but there's no place I wanted to be, and needed to be, than by his side, to comfort him when he awoke. It's much better than watching/photographing his necropsy!

My vet thought he would be ok with having the extra procedure done today. I don't want to ever have to go thru this again, so it wasn't a hard decision to make. Thank you again, for pointing out the positives of removing his pom!

Thank you all for being here for me! I can't begin to say how important this support is and how much it means to me. Roo is my baby and I've made decisions the last two days, that had my heart in my throat, but having "back-up" from here has helped immensely!!! I am so grateful!!!

thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 03:11 AM

Roo's little pee pee got snipped and his "fuzzy heart" removved all in one day! Good bye manhood haha I am glad he is on his way to getting over this! Glad he has a mommy like you!
Posted By: DirtyPaws

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 03:18 AM

Awwww Connie, I've been in Oklahoma and haven't been surfing the boards much so I just got here. God sure does keep you busy! I will be thinking of you and your little man. (His upsidedown pouting is killing me though! What a stinker!) Much heart to ya!

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 01:06 PM

Roo had a very good night!!! Much better than the night before, which lets me know how much pain he had been in!

He isn't exactly pleased with the taste of the medicines. My vet suggested mixing it with yogurt or Ensure, but there's such a small amount (less than .02 cc total) and most are given every 12 hours, so I just put it all in one syringe and follow it with a straight Ensure 'chaser'. Thankfully, he does like the med that's given every 6-8 hours.

He's not particularly hungry, which I anticipated due to the pain meds, and won't eat enough on his own to make me happy, so I gently insist on helping him eat, with a syringe. He absolutely refuses to eat his fruit/veggie puree` and I've discovered it's impossible to 'gently insist' a solid food, so he gets HPW and Ensure mixed together. He grudgingly drank most of it. He didn't want water either so I 'helped' him with that too. Not sure, but I suspect he's not totally pleased with all my help. He's still kinda on the grumpy (nippy) side but that's totally fine with me. I don't blame him one single bit and I have no problems with taking all the nips he wants to give me!

He finally went to sleep about 45 min ago and seems to be very comfortable. I've checked his bottom with a magnifying glass (literally) and it looks great! Not too much swelling, no redness, fever, bleeding or infection. BTW, he fell asleep in my hand this morning as I was using a baby wipe to gently clean his bottom. He must have thought he was being groomed (which I guess he was, now that I think about it) because he totally relaxed, head hanging back, mouth gaped open and tongue hanging out! Next thing I knew, he was sound asleep! I thought he was going to start snoring! Didn't even budge when I put him back in the hosp cage!

Abeje misses him terribly!!! She's been barking and nyitching for him both nights, even tho they can see each other. I put her in with him last night, keeping my hands in the cage, and she immediately wanted to 'fix' his surgical sites. Sadly, I had to take her back out. I'm going to try later today, when both are in a deep sleepy state, to let them sleep together in my hands.

I'll be so glad when it's this time next week so I'll know for sure he's going to be ok! Thank you again, all of you, for your prayers, advice and support!
Posted By: Feather

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 01:54 PM

Poor Roo,

I am gone out of state for a day and missed all of the surgeries the little guy had to have.

I hope he heals fast, poor little guy.

Hang in there Connie.
Posted By: ozzi

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 02:49 PM

angel Awe Sweet Roo angel
He has sure been through it the poor boy. I am wishing, and praying for him a real speedy recovery so he can get back with Abeje ASAP angel
Pat, Boo-Boo, and BJ wave

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 03:11 PM

Hello everyone -
I'm back on the phone with Connie.
She and Roo are headed back to the vet.
He can't poop or pee and is hissing!
She asked me to post for her.
She asks for prayers please.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 03:26 PM

Oh no! frown
Posted By: mommawannabe

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 03:56 PM

Oh no!! I am so sorry to hear this. Connie, keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers!!!

Anna
Posted By: Kacy

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 03:57 PM

ow poor boy!!!!! Right when we tought it was all going to turn out ok, hopefully its just the meds blocking him up a bit. Get better roo baby!

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 04:51 PM

Hi everyone -
Though you would all like an update.
Good news...
They did not have to put Roo back under sedation.
The vet took out the purse stitches and Roo imediately got to relieve himself! YEAH!!!
Roo is doing good!
Connie sounds less worried now too!

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 04:56 PM

Sheesh one problem after another Mr. Roo!!
Posted By: LabNGliderMom

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 05:03 PM

issues and issues and more issues... jeez! Hope all turns out okay

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 05:09 PM

Thank Goodness! hug2

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 05:49 PM

Thank God that Roo has Connie. A less attentive owner might not have noticed he couldn't relieve himself. This is why I had concerns over the "purse stitch" to begin with. I'm so happy that Connie was quick acting.

I've not yet heard of any glider with a "purse stitch" that didn't have problems relieving themselves.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 05:51 PM

Ok, what is a purse stitch? I keep reading it, and I just do not get it lol

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 06:03 PM

We're back home.......again.

Roo started huffing and I could see him straining to potty. I tried to help him as I did the day before but he came unglued because it hurt so much. I managed to get out only about an 1/8th tsp of pooh. So I stuck him in his pouch, grabbed my keys, purse and shoes, got in the car, called the vet to let her know I was on the way and then called Rainey.

My vet removed one purse string and another 1/8th tsp of pooh came out, but he was still huffing and straining. We discussed it and I made the decision to remove the other purse string. I figured at worst, he would have to have it put back in but at best, it would work and everything would be ok and my vet agreed with me. Immediately, he poohed TWICE and with NO huffing! AND....his penis STAYED IN!!! Whew! He was slightly dehydrated, had lost 2 grams overnight (3% of his body weight) so I had my vet sub-q him right then and there. I can sub-q but it's a lot harder at home with an ecollar involved and no one to help. I didn't want to wait until my grand-kids got home this afternoon, to help me.

In case his penis prolapses again, my vet told me how to try to get it back in at home. Of course, if it doesn't work, I will rush him back to the vet, just like I have for the last three days. My car now knows the way by heart and I've discovered I'm able to make a 25 min drive in 17 min! LOL!

He's eaten 2.6 cc of HPW/Ensure. Not exactly willingly but......if he won't eat enough on his own......... shakehead ohwell

He's now in my shirt, hanging onto the front of my bra, irritated because he can't climb in, and holding onto my fingers.

Thanks once more, for your support and prayers! Hopefully this is the end of all the excitement and it'll be smooth sailing from here!

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Dancing
Thank God that Roo has Connie. A less attentive owner might not have noticed he couldn't relieve himself. This is why I had concerns over the "purse stitch" to begin with. I'm so happy that Connie was quick acting.

I've not yet heard of any glider with a "purse stitch" that didn't have problems relieving themselves.

Teresa, having the purse stitches is exactly why I've had very little sleep the last two nights/days. I knew I had to watch him very carefully but I also knew, he had to have the purse stitches because his penis wouldn't stay in. It was kinda like being stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea.

I was able to help him relieve himself, with minimal discomfort, with the purse stitches in, until he had the amputation. Then it became too painful and we had to remove the purse stitches. Until then, tho, they did the job long enough for him to heal to where his penis isn't prolapsing anymore.

I don't mean to pat myself on the back, but had it been another client, I doubt my vet would have let him go home with the purse stitches in. I think she would have either kept him there or probably have elected to do the amputation the first visit. But, she knows I'll watch him and that I know what to watch for. I have an awesome relationship and understanding with my vet. I trust her experience/knowledge/skills and she values my experience/knowledge/opinions.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: monluvspagen
Ok, what is a purse stitch? I keep reading it, and I just do not get it lol

A purse stitch is a continuous circular suture that is pulled together to invert an opening.

Roo's cloaca was inverted, instead of closed, because it needed to remain open for things to come out. There were two "purse stitches", one at the bottom and one at the top, to minimize the opening in hopes of letting pee and pooh out while keeping the penis in. Regular stitches would have simply closed the opening, which of course, could not be done.

I'm not that medically informed so hopefully someone with medical knowledge can come along and explain it better.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 06:40 PM

Ok I get it!!! I had no idea that gliders penises came out of the same hole! I knew they peed and pooped out of the same hole, but I think there was another hole for the peepee. Maybe if Jack ever discovered his little weenie, I would have known! He never went through the flossing stage lol

Learned something new!!!

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 06:40 PM

That is a very good description.

I'm glad things have worked out well. I understand about having a good relationship with the vet. The vet that neuters for me, trusts me like that as well. He said because I not only know gliders but KNOW my gliders, I am better equipped at noticing when something subtle is wrong.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 07:52 PM

That is a very good description.

I'm glad things have worked out well. I understand about having a good relationship with the vet. The vet that neuters for me, trusts me like that as well. He said because I not only know gliders but KNOW my gliders, I am better equipped at noticing when something subtle is wrong.

Thank you! It took me forever to figure out how to word my explanation so it made sense to me! LOL!

That's exactly what my vet says! I'm so glad I found her!

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 07:56 PM

A good vet is priceless for sure. A good slave even more so.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 08:51 PM

Glad to hear that all he needed was those stitches removed.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 08:54 PM

A good vet is priceless for sure. A good slave even more so.

(Raises hand) Guilty! LOL!

Originally Posted By: Feather
Glad to hear that all he needed was those stitches removed.

Me too!!!

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 09:07 PM

Did you get some Clarol while you were out, you should have a few more grey hairs after rushing him back to the vet. shakehead

Just glad that he didn't have to have more surgery.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/21/09 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Feather
Did you get some Clarol while you were out, you should have a few more grey hairs after rushing him back to the vet. shakehead

Just glad that he didn't have to have more surgery.

I'll put it like this......if anyone wants a stock tip, buy Clairol! LOL! There just here ain't enough Calgon either! I was really scared he'd have to be put under again and that would have been 4 times in 3 days!

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/22/09 01:09 PM

4x in 3 days? BRUTAL! lol not you but on him.. poor fella.. hopefully he wont have to go back to see the "sleep fairy" other than for follow ups :fall:

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/22/09 01:25 PM

The first day, when he was put under twice to try to put his penis back in, it took him a very long time to get over the effects of being put under. I literally didn't take my eyes off him for prob half an hour til he woke up! I had to keep telling myself, as long as his nose and hands were pink, he was ok but boy, it sure was scary!!!

He's a bit dehydrated this morning, but I'm not surprised, considering I've had to fight him all night long to get liquids and food into him. At this point, all he will accept on his own is HPW and not much of that. I know that's due to the pain meds so I'm pushing fluids every couple of hours. I'll be backing off on the pain meds today so hopefully, that will help his appetite.

His bottom looks great! Still a bit swollen and he huffs a tiny bit when he goes to potty but he is peeing great. No pooh yet but with his low intake of solid food, I'm not surprised. I've taken the ecollar off a few times to clean his neck and give him a break. He's getting around great and doing good on the grooming without me having to stop him. I've learned to keep my thumb over his belly and my thumbnail pointed down to cover his cloaca. He's been pretty content to groom elsewhere. I really think had it not been for the stitches and glue from the pom removal, he would be fine with no ecollar! He really seems to be more interested in exploring his surroundings than his surgical sites! Except for the dehydration, I'm very encouraged and pleased by his progress!

He's sure keeping me on my toes!
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/22/09 02:35 PM

Connie, I'm so glad to hear that Roo is making forward progress now. hug2 I know you feel like you've been through the Dark Forest the past few days...hopefully things will continue to at least hold steady.

I also know the hard decision of the purse stitches and the "between a rock & a hard spot" dilema you feel like you're in...been there myself not long ago, for the same reason (prolapsed penis). When nothing else would help, I chose the same route you did. But I'm going to echo what Teresa said: THIS IS NOT A PROCEDURE YOU CHOOSE AS A "FIRST OPTION"...IT'S A LAST RESORT AND ALL OTHER POSSIBILITIES SHOULD BE TRIED AND EXHAUSTED FIRST. (the most amusing of which I heard from my vet was to sprinkle sugar on a penis...PLAIN TABLE SUGAR...to help reduce the swelling. And no, it didn't work either)

I'll keep you in my prayers through the weekend...hopefully Roo will behave himself & he can get OUT of the e-collar for good.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/22/09 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: minkasmom
(the most amusing of which I heard from my vet was to sprinkle sugar on a penis...PLAIN TABLE SUGAR...to help reduce the swelling. And no, it didn't work either)

My vet told me to make up a thick paste of sugar and water right before application, in case his penis came back out, here at home after surgery. Thank goodness, it hasn't done so! She tried a strong dextrose solution prior to trying to put his penis back in but obviously, it didn't work.

He's in my bra right now, with vet wrap around his tummy to keep him from getting to his stitches. That's the only thing bothering him now. I'm really pleased with how well he's healing! My vet said the stitches would stay in one week but I'm wondering if she'll take them out sooner since he looks so good. I've not been thru stitches so if anyone knows how long they have to stay in, I'd be interested to hear.

P.S. I'm wanting to get the ecollar off as soon as is safe because he's tipped over onto his face so much, his nose is bruised. worried

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/22/09 06:02 PM

Vet wrap didn't work. Sigh. Back in the ecollar. worried
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/22/09 06:20 PM

Sorry that you are going through all of this. frown

It depends on the type of stitches they used. I know that the disolveble stitches stays in for about 10 to 13 days.

Hope this helps and good luck! hug2

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/22/09 09:46 PM

They used silk, saying it would be gentler on him. He's supposed to have them taken out in one week from surgery.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/23/09 01:55 AM

Well, here's my final update for the day.

Roo is doing well enough that I haven't called my vet today........yet. LOL!

I did, however call Teresa because Roo isn't eating as well as I think he should be. She told me to let him have anything he'll eat unless it's toxic. So for dinner, he had organic peanut butter, corn, gliderade and HPW. Not much of each but I'll keep pushing. I did sub-q him again because he's still moderately dehydrated. I weighed him after and he was between 78-79 grams. Hard to get an accurate weight when they wiggle. I was pleased to see he hadn't gone down in weight. The sub-q weighed 2 grams so at the very least, he maintained his weight from yesterday and may have gained 1 gram.

I've given him his torb but am waiting to see how he does before giving him the tramadol. He reached his max on metacam with this morning's dose. He doesn't seem to be in any pain and is very active, climbing and exploring. The only thing that seems to bother him is the glue and stitches. His cloaca is nearly normal size now and a very healthy looking pink. He is peeing with ease. He is poohing too, smaller than normal but regular in consistency and color. He did a very slight huffing this morning but when I watched, he didn't strain to potty and hasn't huffed since then.

I'm cautiously optimistic at this point but still very guarded and ever watchful. He is in his hosp cage which is literally on my bed beside me!
Posted By: glidrz5

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/23/09 01:57 AM

I know that pain meds and antibiotics can cause loss of appetite. I know with my Bailey that he liked to eat sweet corn cassarole (baby food), yogurt, and HPW. He also liked chicken babyfood, but it is harder to get them to lap it from a syringe. Best of luck to you and Roo. ((((HUGS))))

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/23/09 02:06 AM

I didn't realize antibiotics could decrease the appetite too! I have several jars of baby food in my emergency kit. I'll bring them out tomorrow and see if I can't tempt him!

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/23/09 02:19 AM

Roo just huffed again, but seriously meant it this time! I watched and saw him straining so I took him out of the hosp cage to see if I could assist him as I did before surgery.

To my horror and shock, I discovered the collasate gel I had used earlier to help him heal, had DRIED into a HARD SHELL, completely blocking his cloaca opening!!! I grabbed a baby wipe and cleaned it off and he promptly peed all over me!

I had no idea the collasate gel would do this! If you ever plan to use collasate gel on your glider in an area like the cloaca, check it first by putting a bit on your finger, to make sure it does not dry into a hard shell!!!

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/23/09 02:23 AM

Oh my Connie! I had no idea it would do that. I have only used the collasate spray, not the gel. Again, nice watching on your end! Poor baby.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/23/09 02:25 AM

WOW!!! I was scared to see what you wrote... I was thinking another vet visit! I am glad you caught this!

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/23/09 02:33 AM

Oh my Connie! I had no idea it would do that. I have only used the collasate spray, not the gel. Again, nice watching on your end! Poor baby.

I was afraid if I used the spray, I wouldn't be able to apply it as accurately as the gel. I'm still shaking!!! My poor baby! cry
Posted By: Tish84

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/23/09 03:17 AM

Yea, I stocked up on the baby food right before I got my girls.
I hope Roo gets better quickly and thank you for the advice regarding my girls. thanks

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/23/09 04:09 AM

You're welcome, Tish!

Roo just ate 1/2 teaspoon of chicken baby food w/chicken gravy! He was quite impressed! And I am quite pleased! dance

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/23/09 12:46 PM

Roo's nose is become quite bruised from tipping over face first in the ecollar! worried I have fleece in his hosp cage and no hard toys and the walls are very soft. Any suggestions???

He ate very well last night and wasn't dehydrated at all this morning. dance His cloaca looks great and no huffing. jump I just don't know what to do about his poor little nose! I can't trim the collar because even with it on, he's too close to reaching his down-unders. The ecollar is snap-on and weighs 13 grams.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/23/09 12:52 PM

Don't know if they make something like this in his size?

But I figured I'd post it anyway

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/23/09 02:21 PM

idea just an idea and i really dont know how effective it would be but if you can make an extra e collar in case you ruin this one.. heres my idea idea

you said it weighs 13g right? well find a hole puncher and punch out holes on the side that is behind his head.. i've never used one so i dont know if the collar has enough slack to rotate around his neck so maybe mark the collar at the 12 o'clock position [at top of head] and compare it later to see if the mark has moved to the left or right [10 or 11 o'clock/1 or 2 o'clock]. if the collar doesn't move much, you could probably punch out holes all around the e collar with out having to worry he'll be able to reach his down unders through those holes. just dont punch out too many holes as it would diminish the integrity/durability of the collar. this might reduce the weight of the collar a couple grams and maybe make little Roo's down time less stressful/strenuous.

i hope this works for your baby and i can truly see how much you care about Roo. He has to be one of the luckiest suggies i know to have a such watchful eye over him.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/23/09 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Tish84

That might work but I need it now. By the time it got here, he'd be out of the ecollar. But thank you for the idea! I may just order one to see if it might be workable in the future.
Originally Posted By: oOcornflakeOo
idea just an idea and i really dont know how effective it would be but if you can make an extra e collar in case you ruin this one.. heres my idea idea

you said it weighs 13g right? well find a hole puncher and punch out holes on the side that is behind his head.. i've never used one so i dont know if the collar has enough slack to rotate around his neck so maybe mark the collar at the 12 o'clock position [at top of head] and compare it later to see if the mark has moved to the left or right [10 or 11 o'clock/1 or 2 o'clock]. if the collar doesn't move much, you could probably punch out holes all around the e collar with out having to worry he'll be able to reach his down unders through those holes. just dont punch out too many holes as it would diminish the integrity/durability of the collar. this might reduce the weight of the collar a couple grams and maybe make little Roo's down time less stressful/strenuous.

i hope this works for your baby and i can truly see how much you care about Roo. He has to be one of the luckiest suggies i know to have a such watchful eye over him.

It does move all the way around his neck so I'm not sure punching holes in it would work. His reach is literally from his neck to the very edge of the collar.

I've just come from Walmart, looking all over for something that might work. I found a wrist brace I'm going to try to modify. Cross your fingers that I can make it work!

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/23/09 05:07 PM

What about just punching holes closest to the inside of the collar and not at the middle/ edge area. And not too many holes either so as not to compromise the integrity of the shape (don't want it to crumple).
Another thought: When i had a dog for a while (fostered until she got better from demodectic mange) we used a BiteNot collar. I'm wondering if you could possibly rig something similar for Roo using cutting board plastic (or whatever you used for your e collars) line it with the moles skin and secure with some velcro. I don't thinnk it could be as wide as they make it for the dogs and cats as gliders have a different anatomy and it needs to fit snugly so he can't push it off.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/23/09 05:12 PM

Connie, you might want to try 'pipe insulation' I have used it and found that it really works great! You can purchase it in several sizes at Lowes or Home Depot.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/23/09 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: suggiemom_1980
I've just come from Walmart, looking all over for something that might work. I found a wrist brace I'm going to try to modify. Cross your fingers that I can make it work!

If it works out for you, please post a picture.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/23/09 05:29 PM

Linda, I think the pipe insulation might work for me. I think it might be on the same line as the wrist brace I tried to modify. I think that would have worked had it been made of different material. This is slippery material and of course, he slides right out of it.

He's dehydrated again so I'll have to sub-q him, then head to Lowes. It's amazing how fast they can dehydrate. worried

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/23/09 05:44 PM

Keeping my fingers crossed that it does!
How often are you sub-qing him? Until his system starts to retain, I would do it at least 1cc every 4-6 hours. If the 'bubble' goes down within seconds after giving him a dose, this means that he needs another dose a few hours later. Once the bubble retains itself and slowly dissipates, you can cut back because this means his body has reached the max.

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/23/09 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: LSardou
Keeping my fingers crossed that it does!
How often are you sub-qing him? Until his system starts to retain, I would do it at least 1cc every 4-6 hours. If the 'bubble' goes down within seconds after giving him a dose, this means that he needs another dose a few hours later. Once the bubble retains itself and slowly dissipates, you can cut back because this means his body has reached the max.

I've been doing 2cc's, 2 x a day. The bubble does go down within seconds! I'll bump that up to every 4-6 hrs. God, I HATE to sub-q most of all, out of everything I'm doing to him! I know it hurts him and it breaks my heart. He's on my chest now, sleeping, sans ecollar. I'll send someone to get the pipe insulation. He's resting comfortably and is comforted by my warmth, skin, heartbeat and lack of movement. I think he needs that right now. He did eat some for me. He picked up a piece of corn, put it down; same for pine nut; same for sunflower seed; sniffed yogurt; took a few licks of HPW; ate 1/2 tsp avocado and about 1/4th of a small grape. I think he's doing great with his appetite now. Doesn't want to drink but now that he's accepting grapes, that should help.

I do have to share a light-hearted moment from this morning. I stirred the oil back into the organic peanut butter because there is a LOT of oil. While the oil is good for him, I also want him to eat the peanut butter for the protein. Yesterday. I was concerned about him getting more oil, to help lubricate his system, making it easier for when he had to pooh. Well, this morning, he actually got a bite of thick peanut butter. (Pausing to laugh all over again) Have you ever seen a dog try to eat peanut butter? You know how it gets stuck to the roof of their mouth? Ever see them work to eat it? Yeppers....a glider does the same thing! You never heard so much smackin going on in your entire life!!! Lick, smack, nom-nom, lick, smack, nom-nom, lick, smack, nom-nom, lick, smack, nom-nom! Do you know how hard it is to feed a glider peanut butter, watch & listen to it and try to hold still while laughing out loud??? Definitely a priceless moment!

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/23/09 07:48 PM

I'm giggling just from your description of Roo eating the peanut butter, Connie...
Makes my heart happy that he's doing better!

Re: Roo has black penis tip and Connie has questio - 08/23/09 10:06 PM

See Part 2
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL