GliderCENTRAL

Aflatoxicity

Posted By: Anonymous

Aflatoxicity - 05/28/07 01:01 AM

What are the symptoms of aflatoxicity in gliders?

Re: Aflatoxicity - 05/28/07 01:44 AM

There are NUMEROUS different symptoms that could be symptoms of aflatoxosis, but then again, there may be none at all. Jorn and Lily both had seizures/convulsions, lethargy, loss of motor skills, dehydration, and more I can't think of at the moment, however Trinity really didn't show any signs at all before she passed. The only real way to know if a glider has aflatoxosis is to have a necropsy done after they have passed on. The test is done on the liver.

Re: Aflatoxicity - 05/28/07 01:49 AM

Thank you Laura_Leigh and I'm so sorry that you had to learn about the symptoms the hard way. cry hug2

Re: Aflatoxicity - 05/28/07 02:04 AM

Thank you Reenie. It actually eases the pain a bit to know that I can help others with what I have learned over the past week. We are learning more and more about this horrible toxin, and hopefully one day we will be able to prevent it all together with the knowledge we are gaining.

Many people don't understand how hard it is to watch a glider go through the symptoms that mine did, and know that there is nothing you can really do for them. It was a miracle that Lily did not lose her life to this horrible episode. We did the best we could and saved the ones we were able to save. Now we are looking to the future to help save many more gliders from the same fate as Jorn and Trinity. That really helps me deal with the loss of my babies.

Re: Aflatoxicity - 05/28/07 02:14 AM

Thanks Laura I'm sure this is very difficult for you.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL