GliderCENTRAL

Severe mating wound

Posted By: Anonymous

Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 06:52 PM

My Mollie has a large mating wound...this is my first experience with a wound of this size. She also as a 3 1/2 week old joey. I removed her from them and am going to the vet soon.

What should I be sure to request from the vet?

Will I need to keep the joey away from her, too, and start hand-feeding the joey(experienced with this part)?

I'll upload some pics...just want to hurry and get replies.

Attached picture 7938-Moliiewound1.JPG
Attached picture 7939-Molliewound2.JPG

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 06:57 PM

They will probably clean the wound and get you on some antibiotics. I would not seperate joey and mom, but i do suggest seperating them from the mate

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 06:59 PM

The vet may stitch the wound if its very large. If shes irratating it you may need an ecollar too.

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 07:10 PM

She is not irratating the area, so far. I have removed her from her mate.

What's the pain med that is recommended, if needed. Also, isn't there a med called Silvadene or something? Should this be used?

I'm sorry...I'm so scared! Thank you, Bdeese!
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 07:15 PM

The vet will need to debride the wound (clean the edges) and then will probably stitch it closed. If he does stitch it, he will need to put in a drainage tube so that the infection can drain out of it. Otherwise, it will not heal internally and will be prone to being reopened in the future. Pain meds (Torb or Metacam), antibiotics (Baytril or SMZ/TMP or Clavamox) and SSD (Silvadine) ointment will need to be prescribed. IF the wound is not stitched closed, the vet should give you sterile saline solution so that the wound can be flushed 2-3 times daily.

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 07:17 PM

The joey can remain with the mother, but they should be separated from all other cage mates for at least one month in order to allow the wound to completely heal. It may actually even take longer than a month for it to heal up. My DaisyMae's mating wound actually took almost 3 months to completely heal internally. Externally, it appeared to be healed after only 3-4 weeks.

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 07:18 PM

At first, the vet used regular stitches on DaisyMae, but after multiple times of her pulling them out, the vet resorted to the type of stitch that disintegrates on its own after 3-4 weeks (I forget what that type of suture is called, sorry).
Posted By: Xglider

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 07:19 PM

I feel for you and Mollie… I went through this a few times with my Sage …

The thing I am not sure about is the joey … ?????????? I hade to keep Sage separated form her (neutered) brother and Mango so that she could heal and they would not groom it and prevent it form healing … ultimately I have had to permanently separate Mango and Sage as he continues to try to reopen the same spot.

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 07:20 PM

I'm trying to submit small batches of information at a time so that you can read as I go along... sorry if it seems disjointed at all...

Here's a picture of DaisyMae's back after the last round of suturing was performed:

Attached picture 7944-Daisy'sBackrdc.JPG

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 07:21 PM

As you can see, even with the stronger sutures, she still managed to remove most of them on her own.
Unfortunately, for this type of wound, an e-collar is basically ineffectual because the glider isn't gnawing on it with their teeth - they are grooming it with their hind feet. There's really no way to prevent this from occuring.

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 07:22 PM

The most important aspect of caring for a severe mating wound like this is to check the wound 4-6 times daily to ensure that it has not been seriously reopened needing further suturing.
Please get her to a vet asap and let us know the outcome. We'll be praying for you. hug2
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 07:23 PM

Make sure you clip her nails so she can't scratch at the wound. An ecollar won't help in this situation as she can't reach it with her mouth anyway. Silvadine ointment will help with the healing as will vit E oil. Torb for pain management. (do not use metacam). Probably Baytril for antibiotic (given orally). Watch for it to get oozy, stinky, black (necrotic) tissue or generally infected looking. If any of those happen, take her back to the vet as they will have to reclean the wound.

Keep her seperated from her mate as he will "groom" it and make it worse. She will have to be kept seperate from him until she is completely healed and hair starts to regrow.

The down side is IF the joey seems to be irritating the wound, you may have to seperate the joey too. So be prepared to finish raising the joey if necessary.

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 07:25 PM

John has brought up an excellent point about mates continually reopening the same wound once a severe wound like this has been incurred. That is why I said that she will need to be kept separate from her cage mates for at least one month but it may be longer. If the wound has not completely healed internally, other gliders will detect the infection and will try to "help" by grooming the area and reopening it. In some cases, the glider who continues to try to "help" has to be permanently separated from the wounded glider (as in John's scenario with Mango & Sage)...

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 07:27 PM

Wonderful, Suz...Thank you!

John, thank you, too!!

I want to be prepared at the vet...is their an Dr available in the PM that he can consult if needed??

AND you, too, Teresa!! hug2

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 07:28 PM

In DaisyMae's case, her daughter Mareki continued to reopen the wound a total of 3 times after the original wound was inflicted by their then-mate Coobah. Coobah was separated from them after the original wound occured (for other reasons as well) but I finally had to permanently separate Mareki from DaisyMae. After about 6 months of total separation, I was able to introduce DaisyMae to another single female, Luna. They have been successful cage mates with each other since last September and Luna has not aggravated the original wound site at all.

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 07:29 PM

I don't know his hours, but Srlb's vet, Dr. Tim Tristan is willing to do consultations via the phone. His number is 361-994-1145. Unfortunately, the vet that I used has changed practices and I don't know where she is located now frown Otherwise, I'd give you her number, too.

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 07:31 PM

Teresa has brought up another excellent point - do keep an eye on the joey. If the joey starts to groom or aggravate the mother, then you may need to separate it and start to hand-raise it. If that happens, feel free to call me at 440-953-0904 (home) or 440-520-4799 (cell). In the meantime, once you get the mother treated by the vet, you should get the supplies for hand-raising, if you don't already have them, in case you do need to separate the joey.

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 07:33 PM

Suz, I know you mentioned it would be impossible to prevent the scratching with the hind legs, but I'm curious about the mittens used for Scrat (MrsKing's glider). Until him, I'd never even heard of or though of mittens, but maybe that would be something to consider--at least on the one foot that is most likely to reach the wound.

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 07:39 PM

Gina,
Having been out of town for the past two weeks, I'm not totally caught up on my readings yet. I'm sorry, but I don't know about the mittens you are referring to. I will go do a search about them now smile It does sound like this may be a viable solution to preventing her from removing her sutures thumb

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 07:39 PM

Oh my goodness I feel so bad for you and your little Mollie, your in good hands though. Sending prayers and hugz your way..

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 07:45 PM

Okay, I found the reference to the mittens in MrsKing's post about Scrat. She actually posted a picture of Scrat wearing one (view picture Here). It appears to be made from veterinary tape. I think that it may work if it is only placed on the right hind foot. However, I'm concerned about it limiting Mollie's ability to climb... I think I would hold off on it unless it becomes obvious that Mollie won't leave the wound alone.

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 07:54 PM

O Stacie I hope mollie is going to be ok, she is Daisy's mom. Please keep us updated on her. I am sending my prayers your ways and also lots of huggs from Daisy and I...

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 08:04 PM

Thank you so much everyone!

As soon as I discovered her wound, today, (she was fine last night!!!) I removed her from her family, cleaned her alittle, clipped her nails, gave her a special treat and water (while taking her pic) and gave her a clean pouch. I had neosporin in hand, but it was obvious the wound is too deep. So, only applied some around the outside of the wound.

Now, Hollie, her joey is back with her and I'm watching them closely. The reason I separated the joey from her immediately was because I saw her climb on Mom's back and it hurt ME all over!! She's nursing now, however. I'm fully prepared to hand-feed, if needed.

I've written everything down and am taking it with me. I still have about 30 mins until he will be in the office. I feel so fortunate to have such a great glider community to turn to when times are tough!! cry

Edited to add: OMG! Happy B-day, Suz! I'm glad you choose to celebrate here at GC!!
Posted By: Ellen

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 08:06 PM

My Ruby had the same thing the same place. The problem was it healed from the outside and not the inside. Thank God for her mate as since she looked healed I put her in the play room with her mate he just hardly touched it and blood came pouring out. Back to the Vet. She kept it open so it healed from the inside and she did fine.

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 08:07 PM

Keep us posted! and you are not alone!

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 08:16 PM

Okay...one more. So what would you recommend, as far as the stitches go? The disintegrating type or not?
Posted By: snowmanda

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 08:22 PM

Stac, You've gotten great advice here. I just wanted to offer my support to you. hug2

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 08:43 PM

My Vet did not stitch Sage… so I’m not sure about that one…
Posted By: Ellen

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 09:03 PM

My Vet did not stitch either. Untill it opened again. Then to be honest I don't know what she did. But I know she had a little drain in there so I would guess she did suture.

Keep us posted. My heart is with you and your little one.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 09:13 PM

Whisper's was not stitched either to allow healing from the inside out. If the wound is very severe, sutures may be necessary but the down side is, with a wound like that, stitching it closed can trap bacteria on the inside. (which is part of why the drain tube is needed)

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/19/07 11:16 PM

Sorry I missed your last question there about the sutures. Hopefully you will get this before going to the vet's. IF the vet chooses to suture it, then I would recommend the dissolving type of sutures. Ask her for the type that take a LONG time to dissolve, she should know what you're asking for. Don't forget to ask her to put the drainage tube in if she does suture it so that the bacteria can drain out of the wound. This type of wound always takes a very long time to heal internally.

I'm going to move this over to Health & Hygiene now. Please post an update when you get back from the vet's.
hug2

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/20/07 12:26 AM

Has anyone heard from stacie? Know how the vet vist went or anything, I am really worried about mollie...

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/20/07 12:32 AM

Nope, nothing yet shakehead I'm sure she'll post an update when she can...

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/20/07 01:55 AM

I'm back! It's 9:45 and I just walked in! It's been crazy, but all is well now. Mollie got treated and is resting comfortly with her daughter.

As soon as I get the children bathed & fed and the gliders fed...I'll post the details. need_hug
Posted By: Usha77

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/20/07 02:14 AM

hug2 hug2 hug2

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/20/07 02:16 AM

Glad your all home …. Thanks for letting us know… will be watching for the update ….

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/20/07 11:11 AM

Poor you, you must have been exhausted after all of that yesterday. I hope things are going better for you & Mollie now and that you were able to get a good night's sleep sleep
Here's some hugs for you to let you know we all care:
hug2 hug2 hug2

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/20/07 02:55 PM

Hope you all had an uneventful night.

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/21/07 03:07 AM

hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/24/07 12:22 AM

I realize I promised an update days ago...I needed a little time. I hope everyone understands.

Mollie is doing well. There were many issues getting her to the vet. My exotic vet opens at 6pm, as he runs an emergency clinic. So I waited...but he was off duty! Now, of course it is after hours and every other emergency clinic refused to see a sugar glider!!!! I was not taking "No" for an answer. In my opinion she could not wait until the next night to start antibiotics. I finally begged a receptionist to call an off-duty Dr and have him call me. He did. I then BEGGED him to at least tell me the correct dosage of Baytril to give my Mollie. (I'm thinking, if he gives me the dosage, I can try to convince the inexperienced Vet on-duty at my clinic to give it to her. Just to hold her off until Dr. Miller can see her the next day.) He was leery, thinking I wanted a dosage to treat her myself, but I finally convinced him that was not the case. So against his better judgement, he gave me the information.

I just showed up at my regular clinic, armed with all the valuable information everyone supplied and this other Doctor's advise. With a little encouragement from me and Mollie's beautiful brown eyes, the vet decided to help her even though she lacked experience with sugar gliders. She numbed the area, debrided the wound and gave an injection of Baytril and Metacam. I came home with Baytril, Metacam and a prescription for Silvadene. Thank goodness!!!! (I pushed for Torb, she pushed for Metacam...she won.)

She thought stitches were needed, but she couldn't do the anesthesia. From everyone's stories and seeing how Mollie is healing, I'm very glad we didn't do stitches.

Hollie, Mollie's 4 week old joey, is doing great. They are together and she is gaining weight and not bothering Mom's wound. However she does get on her back, which makes me cringe, but Mollie seems fine with it! thumb

I did do a search first thing on GC for info on mating wounds. I had, of course, prepared myself with different 1st Aid knowledge, but I remember reading that certain medicines were preferred. I NEEDED that info ASAP. Thank goodness for the Emergency Forum and all the wonderful GC people!! You all helped tremendously! You helped me stay calm, you gave wonderful advise and much needed support. I can not thank you enough! mlove thanks

I have attached photos of Mollie right after her Dr visit and from today (4 days later).

Attached picture 8061-Mollie&Hollie.jpg
Attached picture 8062-Mollie4dayspost.jpg
Attached picture 8063-MolliePost2.jpg

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/24/07 01:43 AM

It's looking much better. I'm so happy to hear Mollie's healing! Thanks for the update, and keep 'em coming. laugh

Re: Severe mating wound - 04/24/07 10:54 AM

It looks like it's healing really well! Good for you for insisting on getting treatment for her that night thumb You really did great! hug2
Thanks for the update & I'll continue to watch for further ones.

P.S. You're very welcome - I'm glad we were able to help you get the answers you needed hug2

Final Update Re: Severe mating wound - 05/25/07 04:21 AM

It's been 5 weeks since Mollie was hurt. She has completely healed and her hair has grown back nicely. (All while being the greatest Mom ever to her daughter, Hollie!) Tonight she is back with her hubby and all is well. Hollie is ready for her new home and will be going up to Michigan soon!! I've included pics from the afternoon I found her and tonight.

Again, I want to thank everybody for all their help and support!!

Love you guys!! mlove ~Stacie

Final Update Re: Severe mating wound - 05/25/07 04:27 AM

Wow! She looks amazing! Thanks for the update. I am so glad everythings going so well for her! laugh

Re: Final Update Re: Severe mating wound - 05/25/07 11:18 AM

Stacie,
I'm so glad that she healed up so well. She really looks great! Just keep a close eye on that area of her back and if it starts to look like he's grooming it at all, you may have to separate them for a little bit longer.

Re: Final Update Re: Severe mating wound - 05/25/07 05:10 PM

Thank you guys! She does look great, huh?!

Suz, I am keeping a VERY close eye on them. I was up all night...just in case. So far so good. They were thrilled to see each-other again and Sprocket hasn't attempted to bother her. I will always worry, though, and watch them very closely. Actually, all my gliders keep me extra worried after this ordeal. It was just so scary. I wish I could make sense of why it happened. worried dunno
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL