GliderCENTRAL

allergy to wood?

Posted By: Kim Schrader

allergy to wood? - 02/14/07 05:24 PM

recently my gliders were acting funny, out of the ordinary. about two weeks ago i put grapewood in their cage. or what i believe is grapewood. are they allergic to that? i have an appt. to see a vet in two days.
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: allergy to wood? - 02/14/07 05:51 PM

I'm not at all familiar with grapewood, so can't be of any help dunno I do know it seems like a lot of out of the ordinary suggie activity has been happening over the past few days. Please let us know how the vet visit goes.
Posted By: Gossamer

Re: allergy to wood? - 02/14/07 07:52 PM

How are they acting? Are they chewing on the wood?

Re: allergy to wood? - 02/14/07 08:52 PM

yes they crew on it..is that bad, they love hiding in it. we put it in their cage about two weeks ago, and just last night they were acting really strangely. so we took it out. today they seem to be normal. but i am keeping close eye on them and have a vet appt ready for friday just in case.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: allergy to wood? - 02/14/07 09:52 PM

is grapewood the same as grapevine? grapevine is safe for gliders.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: allergy to wood? - 02/14/07 10:09 PM

This is kinda scary. My suggies cage is full of grapewood perches, logs & hiding places. I'd really like to get feedback on this topic from everyone.

Re: allergy to wood? - 02/14/07 10:28 PM

Teresa, it is the same thing. I have a large grapewood branch/tree that comes up through the center and Hermes chews on that (and EVERYTHING), and has never gotten sick from it. So, i'd say a vet check would be the best wink

Re: allergy to wood? - 02/14/07 11:09 PM

so since grapewood and grapevine is the same it should be safe to put it back in their cage? i guess their symptoms are from something else.

Re: allergy to wood? - 02/14/07 11:12 PM

you can, but i'd suggest washing it with a 1 part bleach to 10 parts water rinse just in case there's something on it that's making them sick wink Allow it to dry completely before you put it back in their cage smile
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL