GliderCENTRAL

Diareah?

Posted By: Anonymous

Diareah? - 03/29/03 09:42 PM

I just brought a female joey that is 6 wks oop. yes i know she is still very young and she should probably still be with her mother but the breeder said she would be fine.Anyways i noticed that her butt and tail area seems to be a little dirty with poop. is this normal? please help

Re: Diareah? - 03/29/03 09:50 PM

just give it a wipe with a damp cloth and then make sure youre feeding her correctly. if it doesnt clear up, then take it to a vet and see if theres any problems

Re: Diareah? - 03/29/03 10:09 PM

Question? How am i going to try to clean a craby little joey which refuses to be held?

Re: Diareah? - 03/29/03 10:49 PM

You may need someone to help out. Do it during the day while she is sleepy and a bit easier to control. Put your hand under her while she is still in the pouch and then let her settle down in your hand while still in the pouch. Once she quiets a bit Put your other hand over her as you lift her out. You hold her very gently, but firmly, so in spite of the crabbing and fussing she doesn't wiggle out of your hands, and have someone else very gently wipe her bottom with a damp washcloth. That is the way I would do it anyway.

The loose stools are most likely caused by the stress of leaving her parents and home, and will become normal in a day or two. Be sure she is getting plenty of water so that dehydration doesn't become a problem. You can add Pedialyte to her water to replenish electrolytes lost from the diarrhea. Be sure she is on a good glider diet. There are several here to choose from. Many people use the BML diet because it makes getting the vitamins and calcium in the glider easier, and they do very well on it. There is also a baby glider version of this diet.

It is a good idea to take your new glider to the vet for a check up anyway, so you might want to do that, just to be safe.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: Ellen

Re: Diareah? - 03/30/03 04:09 AM

Have you changed her diet? The advice you got is good. Check out the diet page.
At 6wk. OOP she is young. She needs nutrients.

If this keeps up take her to the Vet.

At 6wk's she really should not be out of control. She is scared and try and remember that. She is probably scared of every thing. So jus talk softly to her and don't push her. BUT if she is still having loose stools after a day or two I would really take her in for a stool check and a well baby check.

Re: Diareah? - 03/30/03 06:06 PM

Thank you for writing and for the advice on how i should clean her. i just brought her home yesterday, she is extremely crabby and wont let anyone come near her. i fed her the bml last night along with her fruits and veggies.But i had noticed her dirty little bottom when i was bringing her home so i do not think she noticed the seperation of her parents yet.

Re: Diareah? - 03/30/03 06:14 PM

Hi Ellen
well her breeder told me that she was on the bml so i would have to say yes i have her on the same diet except she used be fed Oranges and i am not feeding her that,
Posted By: Judie

Re: Diareah? - 03/30/03 08:22 PM

[:"brown"]If your little one is still exhibiting signs of diarreah...suggest you take the baby back to the breeder or to a vet ASAP.

Stress related illnesses often need medication to eleminate the problem. Without proper treatment...your glider may become dehydrated which is another serious problem. [/]
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL