GliderCENTRAL

femal glider passing blood in urine

Posted By: Anonymous

femal glider passing blood in urine - 08/02/08 10:44 AM

this morning my female glider passed blood in urine,she's 1 &1/2 years old and i have 2 and love them both VERY much do i need to take her to a vet immediatly or do female gliders go in heat(obviously new to this but i want to give them the best possible care)please someone give me some possible explanations for this THANK YOU...!!!!

Re: femal glider passing blood in urine - 08/02/08 10:45 AM

Originally Posted By: carwreck
this morning my female glider passed blood in urine,she's 1 &1/2 years old and i have 2 and love them both VERY much do i need to take her to a vet immediatly or do female gliders go in heat(obviously new to this but i want to give them the best possible care)please someone give me some possible explanations for this THANK YOU...!!!!
Posted By: konotashi

Re: femal glider passing blood in urine - 08/02/08 10:49 AM

Sugar gliders do go in heat, but they don't bleed like dogs. You need to get her to a vet as soon as you can!

Re: femal glider passing blood in urine - 08/02/08 10:51 AM

Thank you very much, I will take her today.
Posted By: reeny

Re: femal glider passing blood in urine - 08/02/08 10:52 AM

Your glider should not be passing blood from her urine. When a joey climbs in pouch they sometimes have a little gooey discharge that might have a hint of blood. But no blood when they pee. I would definitely get her to a vet!!
Posted By: LSardou

Re: femal glider passing blood in urine - 08/02/08 12:08 PM

As everyone has suggested it's important that you do get your little one into see a vet ASAP. There are several reasons for this happening, which all would require medical treatment.
Please keep us posted. Sending lots of prayers your way.
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: femal glider passing blood in urine - 08/02/08 01:37 PM

She needs a vet. It is most likely either a UTI, or possibly stones. I went through this with Roo (I would also suggest at least a few days of pain meds, as well). Good luck.

Re: femal glider passing blood in urine - 08/02/08 02:12 PM

Please keep us updated on your little one! Sending lots of good thoughts your way!
Posted By: USMom

Re: femal glider passing blood in urine - 08/02/08 04:00 PM

It sounds like she is at the vet now. We would love an update, though!

Re: femal glider passing blood in urine - 08/03/08 12:13 AM

Thank you'all so much for the advice posted so quickly i took Taz to the vet and it turns out she had a urinary iract infection i'm giving her amoxicillin for 7 days the doctor said since she is still so active (she ran in her wodent wheel all nite long)..she would probably be fine if not bring her back in 7 days

Re: femal glider passing blood in urine - 08/03/08 12:16 AM

thank goodness you caught it before it got any worse!
gliders with UTI's sometimes SM from the pain it causes, good job getting her to the vet smile
welcome to GC

Re: femal glider passing blood in urine - 08/03/08 12:49 AM

I am not trying to sound like I know more then a vet, but having been through a very resistent UTI, I would suggest they use the meds at least for 14, preferrably 21 days. I hope Jen will pop in, she recently posted about UTI's and meds. I'm glad you were able to get her into the vets. It can turn bad very quickly. Prayers continue.
Posted By: USMom

Re: femal glider passing blood in urine - 08/03/08 04:23 AM

I agree with Mary. While your vet is the best place for information, usually a UTI requires 21 days of meds. So, do what the vet says, and get her checked again in a week, just to be sure.

Thanks for letting us know!

Re: femal glider passing blood in urine - 08/03/08 12:49 PM

Roo did good, until two days off meds, then the hissing started again. There was no more blood, and since she had been on the meds, a test would not be clean because of the meds, so she added one more week (21 days). From now on, if I ever face a UTI, it will be 21 days, no less, for me. The last thing you want is an infection that becomes resistent from on/off/on meds.....
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL