GliderCENTRAL

Flip....

Posted By: Xfilefan

Flip.... - 08/10/08 11:24 AM

....Has always had a "sinus" issue. She came to me from Riverstone when her mom got sick and couldn't take care of her and Snug any more. She's a sweet girl, but would get these on/off sinus problems. The cage that came with them to her, and then to me, also has "Custom Cageworks" on it-I'll draw that parallel in a minute. Other than that her lineage is unclear.

She overgrooms her head on/off, which we kind of had under control here for a bit...and her nose gets darker when sinus issues are up-the funny thing with her is it doesn't stay that way long. I've really not had to put her on much meds since she came to me, though.

Now, some of you know about my Lyah and her teeth problems (at her death of pneumonia, she had 9 remaining). Lyah without a doubt came from Custom Cageworks.

The last couple weeks I've been watching her really close, because her nose kept going from pink, to dark red, and back to pink again, and she just seemed the slightest bit off. She's been eating good (190 grams, Mom!) up and active, nothing obvious.
Friday I was trimming nails. She grows some webbing on one nail in back that gets really close to the toe-and sharp. Normally I don't have a problem taking it off. This time, though, the nail split-right into the toe. I applied Betadine and stopped the bleeding-and looking at it later decided to go ahead with some antibiotics, both because of her nose color, and to keep infection out of that toe. I was NOT expecting what I got.

I checked her weight before giving her some meds-gently put the syringe in the side of her mouth, and had blood everywhere! The last glider that happened to me with was Lyah.

Took a look in her mouth and could see at least one abscess, one loose tooth on the bottom when I pulled the front of her lip down, and something going on with two bicuspid/premolars on the top. O M G

Had I not tore that nail, I might not have caught it for a while. No facial swelling, no apparent trouble eating, no nothing but that on/off red nose. I had her checked right after she came to me (Riverstone was there with me at the appointment) and we even looked at her teeth then, though not under anesthesia. Problem is, this isn't her teeth, like with Lyah, though it could result in tooth loss at some point.

She has periodontal disease-her gums are bad. Teeth are great-as odd as that sounds.

She now has THREE Doxirobe gelpacks in her mouth (they go in liquid via syringe, harden in the 'holes' and have an antibiotic in it-as it dissolves, complete with 24 hour meds right to the site, the abscess closes with it)-wish they worked on areas other than the mouth sometimes. Locations-lower front, lower front/side, and upper back premolar. She will also have to start having her mouth rinsed daily with the chlorhexadine rinse to try and beat back the gum disease and keep her gums healthy. Flip is around 5/6 years old now, if I'm not in error. About the same age Lyah was when her dental issues began.

She is, however, having a few issues post anesthetics-making an odd noise I've not heard before. Almost like I've heard a joey 'squeak' or whimper described. I'm having her watched tonight-she'll be coming with me to work tomorrow and for as long as it takes. I think part is due to the now added swelling in her sinuses-but at least unlike Lyah her face isn't filling with pus at the tooth roots-these are more....'superficial' for lack of a better word, although they were deep enough to fill with the gelpack material. She took longer than I like coming fully around out of the anesthesia-breathing hard for a bit and just not herself. Don't know how much of that had to do with Snug-he smelled her after she woke up (Isofluorine does leave an odor in the fur) and didn't recognize her and attacked-no injury...I was right there and stopped it and kept them 'together' in separate pouches in the carrier until he settled down, but it really bothered him (and her, I'm sure-she wouldn't go in a pouch with him for about 3 hours after we got home, and he kept trying to make up). So far she hasn't had metacam, she's on Torb and Clindamycin...but my 2am report over the phone says she seems to be having trouble eating and breathing at the same time--btw for the next week its BABYFOOD ONLY so nothing impacts in her teeth or the abscesses--indicating she may have some inflammation in her sinuses (and Dr. Harris okayed a couple days of Metacam-hopefully we can do with one)-so she'll get a dose as soon as I get home from work this morning.

Although she is on her way to recovery she will require daily long term care from now on...please keep this poor, sweet little girl in your thoughts.

Edit: back to the title...vet thinks this may have been an issue her whole life-hence the appearing/disappearing sinus problems and overgrooming (headaches). After Lyah-she's probably right.

And of course I got pics of her bad gums and the gelpacks going in-due to computer access issues it may be a while before I can post them, though.
Posted By: vagraphix

Re: Flip.... - 08/10/08 11:30 AM

Oh my goodness. Prayers and hugs for both of you comming your way. hug2 hug2
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Flip.... - 08/10/08 02:11 PM

hugs and prayers to your little one!!

Re: Flip.... - 08/10/08 04:47 PM

Oh that poor little one! My heart goes out to you both. I'm so glad that you accidently found this. Good luck to you both!!
Posted By: MatchMakerMagic

Re: Flip.... - 08/10/08 05:00 PM

Prayers and good energy going out to you and your little one Jen! This is a very interesting/scary situation. I very thankful your able to share it with us!
Posted By: SugareeErin

Re: Flip.... - 08/10/08 05:24 PM

hug2 hug2 Your poor little Flip! I hope she feels better soon! She is so lucky to have you to care for her.
Posted By: glidrz5

Re: Flip.... - 08/10/08 09:00 PM

Hang in there Jen hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Flip.... - 08/10/08 09:42 PM

I am so sorry you and Flip are going though this. You are both in my thoughts. hug2 hug2 hug2

Re: Flip.... - 08/10/08 10:16 PM

aww my goodness,poor little babydoll frown prayers being sent your way!!!

Re: Flip.... - 08/10/08 10:38 PM

Im keeping good thoughts for you and for little Flip!!
Posted By: hipbchik

Re: Flip.... - 08/10/08 10:53 PM

I'm so sorry Jen, I'll light a candle for you & Flip...
hug2

Re: Flip.... - 08/11/08 03:20 AM

Jen, just saw this. I am so sorry! My thoughts and prayers are going out to you. She is in good hands...trust me I know! hug2

Re: Flip.... - 08/11/08 12:44 PM

She's doing a little better as of last night-most of the odd squeaky sounds are gone-though she still has a lot going on in her sinuses and it's obvious she's uncomfortable. I pulled out the Metacam, but she didn't get any because it'd been a while and when I checked the date it's expired. frown If I really think it's unavoidable I'll have Dr. Harris call some into one of the pharmacies up here for her...but as long as she keeps improving I think we'll hold off.

Sam-one of the first things she asked about once we got underway with Flip was how Apollo was doing. smile

Val-Dr. Harris would really like to hear from his vet, and about his/Apollo's progress, if he wouldn't mind giving her a call - 801-485-4736. She's wants to keep up to date on his progress-since every case is different, and we learn from each one, even vets (the good ones, anyway). I LOVE my vet!

Re: Flip....Update with pics - 08/19/08 06:51 PM

Here are the pics from Flip's vet visit-the syringe is inserting the liquid form of the gelpack....

Description: 1 Anesthesia
Attached picture Flip 08-09-08 Dental.jpg

Description: 2-prep
Attached picture Flip 08-09-08 Dental 01.jpg

Description: 3
Attached picture Flip 08-09-08 Dental 02.jpg

Description: 4
Attached picture Flip 08-09-08 Dental 03.jpg

Description: 5
Attached picture Flip 08-09-08 Dental 04.jpg
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: Flip....Update with pics - 08/19/08 06:52 PM

Awwwww, look at him! Bless his little heart! (Seeing these pics made me think of Timmy when he was under. It is so hard seeing them that way. Well, for me it is!)

Re: Flip....Update with pics - 08/19/08 06:53 PM

Last two

Description: 6-just prior to recovery-and yes, I'm allowed in the OR
Attached picture Flip 08-09-08 Dental 05.jpg

Description: 7 Post-Op after anesthesia and still not ourself-she had a hard time with it.
Attached picture Flip 08-09-08 Post Op.jpg
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL