GliderCENTRAL

Glider with 2 joeys and no mate

Posted By: christmasglider

Glider with 2 joeys and no mate - 01/16/15 05:09 PM

We recently acquired a breeding pair of gliders at Christmas. Unfortunately, the male passed suddenly and on the same day we discovered the female had 2 in pouch. When should we consider getting her a cage mate?
Posted By: Kris_N_Zoe

Re: Glider with 2 joeys and no mate - 01/16/15 06:07 PM

I don't know what others would say, but I wouldn't for a little while. I'm afraid the stress of losing her mate and/or the stress of a new mate may make her feel threatened to the point that she pulls the joeys. Also, a new glider might pull the joeys from her and kill them. That's just my fears, but you may want advice from a more experienced owner.

Re: Glider with 2 joeys and no mate - 01/17/15 01:11 AM

Thank you. I called the vet today and that was their advice also.
Posted By: Kris_N_Zoe

Re: Glider with 2 joeys and no mate - 01/17/15 09:48 PM

Okay, I'm glad you called the vet. I hope your girl is doing okay.

Re: Glider with 2 joeys and no mate - 01/18/15 12:21 AM

She seems to be doing fine. Eating well. Solid feces. Pink and interactive. We didn't have him long but it broke our hearts. We are keeping close eye on her.
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Glider with 2 joeys and no mate - 01/18/15 02:06 AM

Definitely don't try to intro another glider to her until the joeys are weaned. You'll just need to step in to handle the joeys a bit to give her a break from them; take the place of dad. At that point, if there are male joeys, you may just want to have them neutered and keep the joey(s) as cage mates. Then you won't have to buy more gliders. wink

Re: Glider with 2 joeys and no mate - 01/31/15 06:17 PM

It appears she has cannabilized the joeys. Her pouch looks flat and I found 1 skull in the bonding pouch she sleeps in. Very sad day.
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: Glider with 2 joeys and no mate - 02/02/15 02:57 AM

frown I'm very sorry.
Posted By: yiyo

Re: Glider with 2 joeys and no mate - 02/12/15 03:13 PM

hug2 hug2
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Glider with 2 joeys and no mate - 02/13/15 07:29 PM

hug2
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL