GliderCENTRAL

My boy died. I dont know what to do now.

Posted By: darkmornings

My boy died. I dont know what to do now. - 02/25/15 10:45 PM

I dont know what happened to him. He was acting fine and then he was at the bottom of the cage trying to wedge himself between the cage bars and the toy box. When i took him from the cage, he tried to curl into a ball, putting his back foot on his head, almost grabbing at his eye. He died before i could go anywhere.

I cried, my daughter cried, we burried him in the morning. I wasnt thinking. I got him only a very short time ago, hes been to the vet for 2 well checks and a neuter. I was told he was only 2 but, i will never know really. I fed them bml diet. I dont know what he ate before, he was very overweight and even though weight loss is a sign of illness, in his cas it was a goal. I didnt pay it much attention. The food was always mostly gone by morning. He was not overly thin, he was still a little chunky.

My little girl isnt being herself, shes still eating but, so was he. Shes been barking at night. She did this before he was with her but, not with him there. She isnt as outgoing as she was before. I want to get her to the vet, hopefully tomorrow. I just dont know what to tell them to look for. Any advice or imput?

I should have thought of a autopsy, i just didnt. I dont know if my girl isnt well, or if she is greiving, i dont know if she depressed. What are those signs?
Posted By: Feather

Re: My boy died. I dont know what to do now. - 02/26/15 12:17 AM

She is looking for him. A vet check for her is a good idea.

I am very sorry for your loss. May you find comfort and peace in your memories of him.

Glide Free Little Angel :rbridge:
Posted By: Terry

Re: My boy died. I dont know what to do now. - 02/26/15 01:16 AM

I a so sorry for your loss. Please keep us posted on your girl.

Re: My boy died. I dont know what to do now. - 02/26/15 11:17 AM

I dont know what i should do for my girl. I want to pull her out and cuddle her but, she doesnt seem to want that, she isnt crabbing but shes not coming out of her pouch to see me either. She is eating her bml and fruits, the veggies shes ignoring. That was usual. Ill be taking her to the vet this afternoon, this will probably upset her more. How much is to much for her to take? How long should i expect her to search? Is she greiving? Its so soon for me but, should i try to find her another cage mate? Hes been gone only a week. Is there an expected time for this to go on?
Posted By: CLo1227

Re: My boy died. I dont know what to do now. - 02/26/15 12:35 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. How awful.

Just like people, everyone experiences grief differently. Taking your girl for the vet check may stress her more, but it's definitely called for. Better safe than sorry.

As far as looking for a new potential cage mate, you will need to assess your girl's behavior and how extreme her depression or adjustment may be. First thing is first, your girl's health needs to be assessed.

Keep us posted on how the vet appointment goes this afternoon.
Posted By: KarenE

Re: My boy died. I dont know what to do now. - 02/26/15 04:27 PM

I am so very sorry for your loss and hers. As everyone has said, she is grieving her loss, and she may/may not have health issues of her own even though you are offering a good diet.

It is a good idea to go ahead and take her for a vet check.

If you have a bonding pouch, she may not realize how much she needs your comfort. It would be worth a try to carry her some to see if it helps her through this period.

Re: My boy died. I dont know what to do now. - 02/26/15 06:56 PM

The vet visit went well. Xena acted like she used to when we were there. Bright eyed and bushy tailed. Climbed the drs arm and pooped on her shoulder. They did a fecal and that was fine too.I'm suppose to monitor her weight and watch her eating habits. The dr believes Rex died from a trauma of some sort but, we will never really know. She also said to wash my pouches well or replace them. should i be trying to get rid of his smell?
Posted By: the gliders angel

Re: My boy died. I dont know what to do now. - 02/27/15 09:05 AM

no don't use any chemicals they are deadly to gliders just wash her pouch in the washer and dry it it should be fine
Posted By: KarenE

Re: My boy died. I dont know what to do now. - 02/27/15 04:08 PM

No chemicals were mentioned.

Most of us just wash with our regular detergent and dry without dryer sheets or let them air dry. No special treatment needed.

She should be okay.
Posted By: Terry

Re: My boy died. I dont know what to do now. - 02/27/15 05:05 PM

I have usually used my regular detergent. I did after some point switch to an unscented, but now using what's available, which is scented. However, I never use fabric softener and always run through an extra rinse no matter what detergent I use. I wash in cold water and will either throw in dryer at low heat or air dry. If you want you can wash with vinegar.

Carrying her in a bonding pouch is a great idea.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL