GliderCENTRAL

Leptospirosis.

Posted By: Anonymous

Leptospirosis. - 10/08/10 02:28 AM

I got my little suggie man when he was 16 weeks oop. He came from an exotics pet store that the man who I bought him from found him. The man i got Alfredo from didnt take good care of him and left him in a cage with absolutely nothing in it except for a bowl of water and he told me he fed him a few meal worms as a meal. So i immediately took him in without thinking twice.

About a month later he bit me pretty good (gashing my finger and urinating on my finger at the same time.) He passed on a rare disease to me called Leptospirosis. And after a month of battling it, I'm finally ok, unfortunately after treating my suggie man with Doxycyline antibiotics (I work for a veterinary hospital as well,) he didnt make it.

I called the health dept about this 'exotic pet store' where I figured the disease was passed on to Alfredo and I was right. The 2 sugar gliders in the store as well as a few other exotics tested positive for this disease, which although sometimes rare, can be transferred to humans.

Its a rough disease but can be treated with antibiotics (Doxycycline or Penicillin) if caught in time.

Symptoms: Extreme nausea and vomiting, high persistent fever, achy joints and body, headaches, and flu symptoms.

RIP Alfredo <3 Because he died, we were able to treat the other animals that came back positive for Lepto, he was such a good boy
Posted By: jacknsally

Re: Leptospirosis. - 10/08/10 11:27 PM

I'm so sorry your lil man didn't make it. Under sad circumstances he was a blessing and was a great help to others.

Thank you for sharing your story with us hug2

Re: Leptospirosis. - 10/08/10 11:58 PM

Sorry for your loss and thank you for warning about this disease. I was considering a pet store until you reminded me of the dangers. Buying from a well known breeder makes me feel more secure. Even though the store said their gliders are shipped from a breeder, I had reservations buying because the store has been able to get half a dozen gliders every month.
thanks again
Posted By: Feather

Re: Leptospirosis. - 10/09/10 12:58 AM

I am sorry for your loss. May you find comfort in your memories of little Alfredo.

Glide Free Little Alfredo :rbridge:

Re: Leptospirosis. - 10/09/10 01:21 AM

Carly,

What causes Leptospirosis? First I have had heard of this and am just curious. I am glad where I live that I do not see any sugar gliders in any pet stores. I would be a mess, I am sure, if I did. Thank you for the information! I am very sorry for your little guy; but do agree with Nancy, that he served a very beneficial purpose in his short life.
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: Leptospirosis. - 10/09/10 10:57 AM

I am so very sorry for you loss. hug2

Re: Leptospirosis. - 10/12/10 04:13 PM

Thank you everyone. And Jennifer: its typically when they are shipped in large numbers and are in unclean conditions (like sitting in eachothers urine, etc)
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL