GliderCENTRAL

A warning about mites...

Posted By: Anonymous

A warning about mites... - 08/06/01 09:39 PM

I just found out bongo has mites in his ears.<BR>I think he got them from the Girbles bedding.<BR>We are goin to the vet on wed..I talked to the "Secret Breeder" today and she said if a glider has mites untreated it can loose its ear.So chek your gliders ears often for little black dots.Hope I helpd someone.<P> []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif[/] []http://www.sugarglider.net/ubb/images/icons/blush.gif[/]<P>Josh n Bongo

Re: A warning about mites... - 08/08/01 02:34 PM

Go to a good vet for a miticide that will take care of the problem.

Re: A warning about mites... - 08/14/01 08:34 PM

You may wish to try a drop of ivermectin in each ear. Vets often dispense this for mites in other small animals. In my experience with ferrets and ear mites, it has worked well. Good luck.<P>Naarah<BR>

Re: A warning about mites... - 09/04/01 01:27 PM

A good bird spray for mites works also. Will not harm the glider.

Re: A warning about mites... - 09/04/01 08:38 PM

You will find that "Bedding" often harvests mites in it. Especially the wood beddings like Aspen, Pine and such. <BR>To kill off the mites before putting the bedding into your animals cage....freeze it for 24 hours before hand. <BR>Put the bedding into the freezer for a full 24 hours prior to using it. All mites will be killed. <BR>I am pretty new to our glider friends but we have done this for hedgehogs for years now.<BR>Mites can be a real pest.

Re: A warning about mites... - 09/08/01 03:59 PM

Last year I bought some cheap Aspen at Wal-mart and had used it for my Quaker. He became infested with mites. Did not know what was wrong with him as he was over grooming to the point he had a couple of areas that were bleeding. Took him to the vet and sure enough it was mites. This bird was over five years old and had never had mites till I purchased that bedding. Needless to say, I do not purchase my Aspen from Wal-Mart anymore.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL