GliderCENTRAL

A New Battle

Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom

A New Battle - 04/06/08 01:00 AM

I wanted to share a story with you, though I do not know how it will end just yet. Be warned, though, it is a LONG one.

I share this in hopes that we all can get a better understanding of just how important proper breeding practices are; just how important diet and hygiene are; just how important it is that we all have KNOWLEDGEABLE and EXPERIENCED vets.

This is the story of little Naruto, though around here we call him New-Nu, because that is what we plan for him to be when he leaves here: NEW.

New-Nu and his cage mate were purchased 5 or so weeks ago at a home and garden show in Arizona from Custom Cage Works. CCW sold these gliders to a teenage girl with a small, over-priced cage and a year's supply of supplements. She was instructed to feed them apple slices and dog food.

New-Nu and mate were at the vet within 48 hours of purchase because, in that short time, New-Nu had begun to self mutilate. 8 visits in 4 weeks, and New-Nu received 2 different antibiotics, a cream for his wounds and a SEDATIVE. Not once in those 4 weeks/8 visits did the vet recommend an ecollar. Not once was he tested for parasites or given pain medication. At no time did the SMing stop. Finally, help was found through USGN. Mary, Karen and Denise were tireless in getting this little one help and getting him in an ecollar. None of them could have really known what they were dealing with. Finally, New-Nu's mom admitted that his needs were beyond her abilities/knowledge and that sweet girl and her mother drove those babies 11 1/2 hours ONE WAY to my doorstep.

I was expecting a 16 week OOP glider who was Sming and needed to be nursed back to health. Imagine my surprise when I opened the pouch and found a 21 gram BABY in an ecollar almost as big as he was!

New-Nu upon arriving at my house

New-Nu has such bad diarrhea that he is constantly needing baths - this is still an issue. He had damage to his cloaca, pompom and base of tail. Couldn't get a great picture.
This is the best I could do

All I could think when he got here is "how does a BABY even get to the point that he feels he needs to self-mutilate?"

Knowing that they were coming, I had made a vet appointment. So, off to Tulsa I go again. Dr. Walsh diagnosed New-Nu with parasites (no surprise there), early onset HLP (his gait is odd), severe malnutrition, severe dehydration and an eye infection. Cloacal damage was the worst (though not nearly as bad as I have had here). Tail and pompom were already healing up. Additionally, New-Nu is closer to 8 weeks OOP and is significantly underweight - he was at 21 grams.

THIS BABY WAS PULLED FROM MOM AT 3 WEEKS OOP AND SOLD MALNURISHED AND WITH A PARASITE THAT RESULTED IN SEVERE DIARRHEA LEADING TO SELF-MUTILATION AND DEHYDRATION. BOTH of these gliders had parasites. The SELLER (CCW) gave diet advice that furthered all of these issues and lead to early onset HLP.

So, Naruto now receives a calcium supplement daily. He receives anitbiotic and antiparasite meds 2X/day and sub-q liquids 2X/day. He is given supplemental feedings every other hour 'round the clock until he reaches 35 grams, at which time feedings will go to every 3 hours.

Preparing to medicate
Giving Sub-Q liquids

One of the biggest challenges with New-Nu has been finding an ecollar that works for him. I have tried satellite and shot-glass style ecollars, the tape and even the foam, but all were either too bulky, too heavy or otherwise not functional for him. Remember, he is a tiny, tiny glider! AND, he is a magician when it comes to getting out of them. So, I finally fashioned my own collar, and it is working for now:
New collar

Despite all of this treatment and all the love I can give him, New-Nu is still going downhill. We used a medicated wash on his cloaca and to clean him up a bit, and it left him a sticky, crusty, matted mess. I don't dare bathe him every day because i don't need him catching cold on top of all this. Besides, I am much more concerned about his health than I am about his fur condition. But, his fur has become kinda greasy even in areas that the wash never touched, his eyes are not bright and he is quite lethargic.

Very, Very Sick

New-Nu is fighting to win this battle. He has increased in weight to 24 grams, so that is the hope that we hang on to here. He is a fighter, and you all know that I am. I will not let him go! We both could use some prayers, support and encouragement. Thank God for my mother, who has stepped in and administered some of the feedings and love so that i could get a little sleep.

I pray that we all can learn from this, that your eyes are open to just how much damage a mill can do to a precious life, that your heart is touched by New-Nu's story, and that you have resolved to love your babies now more than before.
Posted By: USMom

Re: A New Battle - 04/06/08 01:24 AM

Val, I believe that he is in the best place. You work so hard with these babies. You have all my prayers.
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: A New Battle - 04/06/08 01:26 AM

Val, I cannot stop crying cry with every picture I see of this poor little one!!!!

OMG, if I had know that he was only what? 3 weeks old? when I was talking to his "human" mother last weekend, I would certainly have told her to CUT DOWN THE SIZE OF THE COLLAR. I got a hint when she told me how difficult it was to get the "water bottle" e-collar around his neck....but GEE WHILLACKERS MOLLY DODD!!!!

My unending, constant stream of prayers are being sent to both you AND Naruto that you can both hang on until he gets better. I know that many others are joining in, and I want to do EVERYTHING in my power to STOP THESE PEOPLE---ANYWHERE AND EVERYWHERE I CAN--from doing this to innocent lives!!!

I can't help but to remember a certain young lady who was pulled from HER mother not that long ago...and I can't STOP CRYING!!!!!
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: A New Battle - 04/06/08 01:46 AM

Tears and prayers for this precious little one. I know if love has anything to do with it, he will win this fight!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: A New Battle - 04/06/08 01:48 AM

good luck to you this poor baby has been to you know where and back.hopefully he pulls through if not at least he has been in the best care with you.thank you for taking him on!!!
Posted By: Kimberly1979

Re: A New Battle - 04/06/08 01:58 AM

Anyone have a tissue for me?

Re: A New Battle - 04/06/08 01:59 AM

i have personal experience with Custom Cage Works...in a pet atore i worked at they ordered 10 gliders from them for customers...8 died within 2 weeks...never again did we buy from them...i prat some1 gets them shut down..this was over 2 years ago...how many suggies have to suffer???
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: A New Battle - 04/06/08 02:07 AM

Prayers for him and all of the little gliders that are out there without someone like you to love them, Val. hug2
Posted By: Cora

Re: A New Battle - 04/06/08 02:42 AM

Wow Just Wow. Poor little guy. Prayers for you and him and all involved. Hey when ya get a few can you PM me about that collar...............What its made of , how its done, that kind of thing. You are one of a kind for helping these special needs gliders!!! A glider angel for sure! smile

Re: A New Battle - 04/06/08 03:47 AM

Cora, sending PM next....
Posted By: TracieB

Re: A New Battle - 04/06/08 04:03 AM

cry Prayers going out to you and New-Nu. That poor little guy. frown Bless you Val for taking him in. heart

Re: A New Battle - 04/06/08 04:15 AM

omg prayers def going out to both of you... i hope new-nu can recover and recieve a wonderful life after this awful ordeal... these mill breeders really need to be shut down... just how many animals have to suffer b4 the proper authorities can see whats going on without all the technicalities.. truly breaks my heart!!! cry
Posted By: glidrz5

Re: A New Battle - 04/06/08 09:33 AM

hug2 hug2 hug2 Val, if anyone can pull NewNu through this you can. I'm praying very hard for the both of you.

Re: A New Battle - 04/06/08 09:33 PM

i just found & signed the petition for Custom cage works to be shut down..

Re: A New Battle - 04/06/08 09:43 PM

I just signed! Prayers go out to Naruto...what a little fighter!
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: A New Battle - 04/06/08 09:58 PM

Stop!

Please don't sign that petition.

It was created by Abra ... you really do not want Abra to have your name and contact information. She is every bit as bad in her own way as CCW.
Posted By: Feather

Re: A New Battle - 04/06/08 10:18 PM

Poor little guy. I will say a prayer for him.

Best Wishes

Re: A New Battle - 04/06/08 10:18 PM

omg that abra is so messed up...

Good luck and best wishes Val.

Re: A New Battle - 04/06/08 10:23 PM

That petition has been out there for quite some time.
Posted By: LSardou

Re: A New Battle - 04/06/08 11:39 PM

Val, Much love and prayers being sent to you and to this precious little baby. I am so so sorry that this has happened, oh how my heart just aches for him.
Thank you Val, he is in the best hands....Love, Light and Blessings.... hug2

Re: A New Battle - 04/07/08 12:43 AM

I have to say GOD BLESS YOU and the little one. My prayers are with you.

Re: A New Battle - 04/07/08 01:06 AM

You are in our prayers, take care...if you need anything, please don't hesitate.
Posted By: GliderLove

Re: A New Battle - 04/07/08 01:07 AM

Oh my god, that is so incredibly sad! I signed that petition before! Now I am worried, who is Alba?

Re: A New Battle - 04/07/08 01:23 AM

Who is Abra? Never heard the name before.....
Posted By: USMom

Re: A New Battle - 04/07/08 01:47 AM

Check the forum thingie at the top, colony alert. Most of them are about her.

Re: A New Battle - 04/07/08 02:01 AM

NewNu sure is one lucky guy to have you save his life!! my prayers are out to you and this little boy!! hope he gets better soon!
Posted By: cyndiekb

Re: A New Battle - 04/07/08 02:02 AM

look in community alerts for info on abra.

Val i am praying for you again. Jackie is better I am pulling for the same outcome for this baby.

Re: A New Battle - 04/07/08 02:10 AM

Great now she has my info...I thought I was doing a good thing by signing the petition....

Re: A New Battle - 04/07/08 02:20 AM

I'm sorry, Outnumbered. It should be ok. There isn't much she can do to you ... except try to scam you! Just be alert!

Re: A New Battle - 04/07/08 02:50 PM

off_topic
Originally Posted By: outnumbered421
Great now she has my info...I thought I was doing a good thing by signing the petition....

Same here. It wasn't until AFTER I signed that I noticed her name as the one who started it. worried

Re: A New Battle - 04/07/08 05:50 PM

Val, any updates on little Naruto?

Re: A New Battle - 04/07/08 09:16 PM

Well, he is still hanging on and fighting hard. Yesterday and today he has eaten like he is starving. He perked up yesterday and really started to fight the collar, so I take that as a good sign. Yesterday he started passing the tent test, so it looks like we are getting over the dehydration. I continued to sub-q him yesterday and this morning, though, just to be safe.

He still has diarrhea, but it is somewhat more formed than before. AND, he no longer screams in pain each time he goes potty - though sometimes he still hisses.

He is looking a little bit better, and today began trying to groom himself. He has not spent even one moment grooming in the last week, so this is also a very good sign. His eyes are much more bright and he is lots more active - Before, I was waking him to eat and medicate, but now he wakes up and eats and plays a bit all on his own.

I know that it is "not possible," but the "not possible" happens around here a lot it seems. Anyway, even though it is "not possible," New-Nu has gained another 4 grams in the last 2 days --- He is weighing in at 28 grams now! I am feeling that he is finally rid of the parasites and is now able to use the food he eats appropriately. There is also, though, the added water weight from being sub-q'd, but I am celebrating each victory with him each day. He is still very sick, but making small steps forward. He still gets a bath every other day to remove all the food and feces, and he gets a new collar made for him every day. His balance is very, very poor, and he falls in his food and rolls in his poop very often every day. cry We are constantly cleaning him up.
(This picture was taken while I was making the new collar)

New-Nu after his bath today
Posted By: bethanyg

Re: A New Battle - 04/07/08 09:23 PM

Thats so good... I'm glad... I've been following this sad story and I'm glad that so far everything is getting better

Re: A New Battle - 04/07/08 09:25 PM

aaaaaawww good to hear he is perking up!!don't give up new nu

Re: A New Battle - 04/08/08 03:17 AM

Poor little guy is still so small, but at least he's gaining a little weight now. clap He is so lucky to be with you and getting the care he needs. I'll keep praying that he gets healthy and lives a long, happy, healthy life. heart

Thank you so much for the update. Sometimes in these kinds of cases I'm almost afraid to ask. frown

Re: A New Battle - 04/08/08 03:44 AM

There's a sparkle in his eyes today that wasn't there before. It appears like he's giving you the "do you know how much I hate/LOVE this?" kind of look on his face.
And all the little tidbits of GOOD news are making me smile.

Go New-Nu, Go New-Nu!!! We're all rooting for you and your nurse! hug2 mlove

Re: A New Battle - 04/08/08 09:36 AM

Awwww, what a little fighter! Your love and determination is giving him that will to fight this, Val! God has a very special place for you at his side, you are an angel for taking care of this little one. He remains in my prayers!!
Posted By: BCChins

Re: A New Battle - 04/08/08 11:27 AM

Val you are doing awesome with New-Nu. He is a fighter but he has a good person standing behind him helping him win this fight. Keep it up New-Nu.
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: A New Battle - 04/09/08 10:49 AM

Val,
We spoke on the phone last night and, as promised, I came on this morning just to read your post about little New-Nu. It looks and sounds like you're doing everything perfectly for him already thumb Switch up the formula with the recipe I gave you last night and I think you'll see even more weight gain smile He and his sibling are so lucky to have come into your heart and home heart It is people like you who really make the glider community so awesome hug2 hug2 hug2 Don't hesitate to call me again if you have any other questions. I'm sure the third joey you're now hand-raising will thrive and grow with your loving care just as New-Nu is mlove

One note for New-Nu, I'm not sure what you're bathing him with right now, but if you haven't already, you may want to try using Cottonelle Fresh Wipes. I found that they really do a nice job of getting the greasiness out of the joey's fur thumb You can heat it in the microwave for just a few seconds before using it, too smile

Re: A New Battle - 04/09/08 12:18 PM

What a sweet little glider face! Prayers that he pulls through. I'm glad that the teen who adopted him was mature enough to get help and to give him to someone who could help him once she realized she was in over her head--kudos to her! Val, what would the glider world do without people like you? I've learned so much by reading your posts through all of your experiences, THANK YOU!!!

Re: A New Battle - 04/10/08 01:04 AM

i did the same here...BUT..if she does try anything..i will have her IP addy and therefore all HER info! angel

Re: A New Battle - 04/11/08 08:32 PM

Oh man, my heart just breaks everytime I look at that little face!!! I have tears just rolling down my face....

I have great faith tho and I am sure this fuzzie is gonna pull through due to an AWESOME caregiver!!!! agree dance jump

A New Battle - UPDATE - 04/14/08 01:10 AM

Naruto is now 15 days into his treatment, and he is still with us. dance He has fought very hard and had many rough moments, but I think he is over the worst of it now.

We have finished his antibiotics and anti parasite treatments. Also, I no longer have to sub-q him. He remains on the calcium suppliment and I continue to hand feed him - mostly because he has a very difficult time eating on his own. His balance is very poor - prob. due to the HLP. AND, he has some issues maneuvering with the collar, so he keeps falling head first into the food bowl. To save a little bit of a mess, I am handfeeding all of his food.

Sadly, New-Nu continues to have a great deal of pain with going potty. In the short time he is out of his collar for a bath and a collar change, he attacks himself. This time has become a 2-person activity here. His cloacal injuries are healing very slowly, and there is a constant struggle to keep that area clean. I hate seeing and hearing him in pain so often. He is on pain medication, and the vet does not want to increase the dose. So, even on meds, he experiences pain.

The Good news is that he is now weighing in at 32 grams!!!! He is eating a LOT and is keeping the weight on. He is still very tiny, but is doing well. He is lots more active and alert, and no longer has droopy ears or eyes. jump

New-Nu today - still messy but better

Some of you may have heard that I am handfeeding 3 joeys at this time. Well, Naruto's cage mate is no longer being hand fed. He is doing so well, though he remains significatnly underweight as well - 36 grams at 8 weeks..

I had a pair of rescues that came to me with a joey just OOP. 2 days shy of 3 weeks OOP I found the joey (Cruiser) with 2 facial wounds, so I had to pull him. He is also doing fantastic and has become such a momma's boy! His facial wounds are healing well and are now at the point that they look worse than they are. Cruiser will be Nugget's new cage mate when the time is right. Nugget has been waiting so patiently!

Here's my Cruiser

Always an adventure around here! Thanks for letting me share.
Posted By: Sherri

Re: A New Battle - UPDATE - 04/14/08 01:21 AM

Val, I know there isnt any better hands that Naruto or the babies could be in but yours. Such poor sweeties. But it sounds like thngs are getting a little better. I will be praying for all your babies.

Re: A New Battle - UPDATE - 04/14/08 01:35 AM

Wow..I shudder to think what painful ends these joeys would have if it weren't for you. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all your babies!!
Posted By: Trigger

Re: A New Battle - UPDATE - 04/14/08 02:14 AM

Oh Val that baby just brings tears to my eyes. Bless his little heart and you for all the love you give these guys when they need it the most.

Re: A New Battle - UPDATE - 04/14/08 10:16 AM

Val, they're both looking really well, all things considered heart I know you're having a rough go of it with hand-feeding two joeys at once, especially with all of New-Nu's special needs... but I can't think of a person better qualified to do it all thumb You're the best!!! Keep up the great work and call me if you need me hug2

Re: A New Battle - UPDATE - 04/14/08 10:34 AM

Val,

You know already you are an angel. I look at that precious little face and see a fighter. You are giving that little one the stregnth to fight. I know you both have a long road ahead, but I believe this little one will continue to thrive and you will have the most amazing bond that has ever been between a human and an animal. God bless you both!!
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: A New Battle - UPDATE - 04/14/08 11:51 AM

New-Nu looks so much better than the last pic I saw of him! He doesn't even look like the same glider! I'm so glad these precious babies have you for a momma!

Re: A New Battle - UPDATE - 04/14/08 07:18 PM

Val, I can only begin to imagine what you are going through. Maisie was happy and healthy when I was blessed with her care and she continues to be. You and all of yours are in my thoughts and prayers. GOD bless you. I wish I was closer. Do not forget to breathe.

Re: A New Battle - UPDATE - 04/14/08 07:28 PM

Val, he looks wonderful! and he really is a tiny little thing isn't he? I have an atomic ducky too so I can just imagine....

Keep up with the updates! I love coming on here and seeing how much he has improved! smile

Re: A New Battle - UPDATE - 04/15/08 12:49 AM

I'm glad New-Nu is eating and gaining some weight. So sorry to hear he is still in pain even with the meds. Hopefully they at least dull it some for him. You certainly are a glider angel - and I'm sure these babies would agree. Keep up the great work. hug2

Re: A New Battle - UPDATE - 04/19/08 07:35 PM

New-Nu is doing just great! He still experiences some pain with going potty, but is mostly healed.

He now weighs 35 grams and is very active and curious. He is getting lots of play time with his cage mate, but still has some balance and grip issues, and is still in a collar each night, so he stays in the hospital cage at night. He continues to eat well and has begun to spend even more time grooming himself each day.... so he is getting fewer baths.

He still has some rough moments, but it seems the worst is behind him! dance
He gets some out-of-collar time each day while I make a new collar and/or clean the ecollar. Took a few pictures earlier:

Look at me now!

Took a few days ago - SO CUTE I had to share

This little one sure is a fighter. He has got some spunk! Yet again, a little one has taught me so much about hope, faith and the power of determination and LOVE.

Re: A New Battle - UPDATE - 04/19/08 07:52 PM

omg that poor scruffy boy! still cute tho.. i'm glad hes over the worst part..hes got an angel in you thats why!

Re: A New Battle - UPDATE - 04/19/08 08:18 PM

wow what an amazing job that you have done with him. he looks so much better. keep up the great work and god bless you.

Re: A New Battle - UPDATE - 04/19/08 10:51 PM

I'm so happy to hear he continues to give everything he has! God bless the both of you!!! Keep the pics and updates coming.......prayers continue!
Posted By: BCChins

Re: A New Battle - UPDATE - 04/19/08 11:26 PM

New-Nu is looking so much better Val. Good jub and thank you for sharing him again with us.

Re: A New Battle - UPDATE - 04/30/08 09:23 PM

Today is a Sad day for me - but not as sad as Friday will be.

Today we made the decision that New-Nu will be returning to his home on Friday. Though I knew he was just here for rehabilitation and would return home, I couldn't help but fall in love. I have been in tears all day.

Hanna, Naruto & Sasuke's mom - has been in contact with me literally EVERY day since bringing them to me. She has provided for all of his care financially and has been working hard to prepare a GOOD diet and cage environment for them. She loves her boys very much and I can't imagine how much she misses them.

Actually, I can imagine. I am going to miss them too.

Naruto has adopted the "ATTITUDE" of a self-mutilator without the INJURY of a SMer. By that, I mean that he will get frustrated and curl up in a ball and make the SM sound, but never actually bite himself. He does lick his tail a lot, though. So much so that he developed an abrasion on his tail. AND, he has rubbed and/or pulled all the fur off his tail. I would love to keep him here forever and continue to work on these things, but the truth is that these are now behavioral issues, and Hanna is prepared and capable of dealing with them. She now has 2 ecollars ready, just in case. Naruto will continue on a good diet, he will continue to recieve calcium suppliment and he will continue to have an ointment on his tail. He still does not groom himself very well, but Hanna is prepared to give him baths, too --- In fact, she was doing much of this stuff before she brought Naruto to me. The good news is that Naruto is no longer biting himself, he no longer has an open wound, and Hanna will be able to shower 100% of her attention on them. I cannot do that because I have many babies here that need special attention.

Sasuke has done very well. He has gained weight and his eye grew to an appropriate size. His ear remains deformed, and I fear he may have some hearing loss in that ear. But, he is a happy, healthy, playful glider.

So, it is very bittersweet to be planning for these guys to leave.
One more picture - here you can see how much Sasuke has grown, his one small ear, and Naruto's red tail. This was taken days ago, and Naruto has received several baths and meds since then. His tail looks much better now and he is SO happy to be living back with Sasuke.
Sasuke and Naruto
Posted By: Karin

Re: A New Battle - UPDATE - 04/30/08 09:55 PM

Your blessings for helping these babies will be returned to you tenfold Val...you definately need some hug2 's though.

Karin
Posted By: Sherri

Re: A New Battle - UPDATE - 04/30/08 09:59 PM

Val you are a wonderful, wonderful person with a heart of gold. I'm sure the babies and Hannah will be happy to be together. I know its going to be hard saying goodbye. But with a heart like yours, there will be a new glider that will need your expertize and love.
Posted By: ozzi

Re: A New Battle - UPDATE - 04/30/08 10:04 PM

That is truly "Bittersweet". mlove
I am happy for the little gliders, and you have gone above and beyond.
It sounds like Hanna is a wonderful glider mom and I am sure she will be happy to have Naruto & Sasuke back.

Thanks for the update.
Pat
Posted By: Janie

Re: A New Battle - UPDATE - 04/30/08 11:07 PM

They look so good now,, you did an amazing job with them. HUgs to you ,,those suggies will always remember you in their hearts thou,,, how could they not!

Re: A New Battle - UPDATE - 05/01/08 01:14 AM

I know that bittersweet pang that you're talking about...I felt it when I sent Cricket back to her mommy a couple months ago.

Can you do me a HUGE favor, Val? Make sure Hanna knows how to put the e-collar on. (Is it one of Sugeebaby's or the old fashioned "shot glass" type?) Maybe have her practice with you and Naruto before she leaves, just so she feels a little more comfortable with the procedure. And remind her that I'm still out here in cyberspace, giving her HUGE HUGS (and a few spare ones for YOU and all your hours of LOVE for these babies).

I'm about to start leaking....tears of JOY that they're going to be reunited.

Re: A New Battle - UPDATE - 05/01/08 09:30 AM

Val,
You've done such an awesome job with these little ones. I know how bittersweet Friday will be for you hug2 hug2 hug2 Sending lots of hugs & prayers your way...

Re: A New Battle - UPDATE - 05/02/08 02:16 PM

After a long, hard-fought battle, little Naruto and Sasuke returned to Hanna last night (one day earlier than planned cry). We met in their hotel room and spent 2 1/2 hours practicing everything from bathing to medicating and clipping nails and mixing food and ..... well - EVERYTHING.

I am SOOOO sad to see little Naruto and Sasuke go home. But also, so happy. Naruto has beat the system: He was a mill bred baby, sold at 4 weeks OOP with many issues. He has overcome self-mutilation of the cloaca, severe dehydration, severe malnutrition, HLP, a very nasty parasite and an eye infection. He still has some battles ahead of him, but he is very happy to be in his momma's loving arms.

Took a bunch of pictures as I was saying goodbye ......
Naruto & Sasuke back with Mom
Posted By: Usha77

Re: A New Battle - UPDATE - 05/02/08 02:29 PM

Awww...so precious. mlove

Re: A New Battle - UPDATE - 05/02/08 03:07 PM

Hugs to you Val.. you did an amazing job with them,,, the pictures were sooo sweet I am happy Hanna and her babies will get to be together now. You are a wonderful person helping them like you did!

Re: A New Battle - The Battle has ended - 05/03/08 01:42 PM

It is with an unexplainable sadness that I report that Naruto lost this battle last night. He has crossed the bridge and is finally experiencing TOTAL healing.

cry
I am beside myself with sadness. I can't even really process it all yet. He lived only a short 12 weeks or so. I feel responsible and guilty and worthless.

He had some major issues. He has always had some soft neurological signs and balance issues. He looks to have been not only mill bred, but inbred also. He had stopped gaining weight, and you can see in that last picture of the slide show how much smaller he is than Sasuke, even though Sasuke is younger. He was, though, very active and happy and fiesty. He was eating and drinking very well and was very playful with Sasuke. This lead to my decision to send them back home. Because the HLP issues didn't really resolve with calcium, I thought there might be something else wrong. Now we know that he had some deformed organs as well. His little body just couldn't take any more. He began having seizures, and the e-vet was unable to stop them. He held on until he could be reunited with his mom, then he let himself go. He spent his last 24 hours being smothered with love by his origninal mommy. Little did I know that when I said goodbye to him in that hotel room, it would be goodbye forever. cry

I can't help feeling like I sent him home to die; like everything I did was just a "tease' to Hanna; like I didn't help him, I only prolonged his suffering; like no one else should ever trust me with their baby; like Steve Larkin should suffer just as badly as Naruto did.

I will forever miss litte Naruto. He blessed me with his fiesty love, his adventurous spirit and his will to live. I learned so much about health care and joey care just because of him and I will be a better suggie momma because of it. I am so sad right now I can't really think this all out. But, when the sad passes, the MAD will come. I know there is a lot of anger at PPP right now, but CCW is going to feel the full extent of my fury.

Re: A New Battle - The Battle has ended - 05/03/08 02:02 PM

I am soo sorry for your loss and Hanna's...

Re: A New Battle - The Battle has ended - 05/03/08 02:02 PM

Oh my gosh Val, I'm really so sorry to hear that! You should NOT blame yourself in any way shape or form. I've been following this story from the beginning and you did EVERYTHING you could possibly do. You had no way of knowing what was going on in his poor little body. In his short life you showed him such love and compassion and even though he died after you sent him home - as you stated, he died being smothered in love and attention, how could anyone ask for more?
Please don't blame yourself, he wasn't even yours and you went above and beyond the normal person!

Re: A New Battle - The Battle has ended - 05/03/08 02:12 PM

hug2
You did everything you could.
I am so sorry for you and Hanna.

Re: A New Battle - The Battle has ended - 05/03/08 02:41 PM

Oh Val - this is so unexpected.

You STOP RIGHT NOW questioning yourself and blaming yourself. You know that you did all that you could to save a baby - and that's what matters! Hindsight is 20/20 - and maybe if you'd known the battle he was really up against, you would have done things differently. However, knowing what I know of you - I doubt it. You would have fought just as hard to keep this adorable, unfortunate misfit alive.

As you grieve - please remember to grieve for the loss of a beautiful life - DO NOT feel sad that you should have done more, or less, or different.

CCW is to blame for creating this sad soul, and when your anger is ready, you know we will help you fight them.

Re: A New Battle - The Battle has ended - 05/03/08 03:00 PM

Oh, I don't even know what to say. I am so very sorry, Val. Know that you gave that little guy more love in that short time then some gliders ever have in their entire lives. He knew it and he gained stregnth from that love. I agree that the person that is responsible for letting this little one be this way deserves payback in spades and pray God will serve justice not only for NuNu, but for all the other little ones that do not have a voice. Again, I am so very sorry for you and Hanna.

Godspeed sweetest little angel......Tom will take you under his wing now.......
Posted By: LSardou

Re: A New Battle - The Battle has ended - 05/03/08 03:04 PM

cry Val, your gift is and always will be cherished on earth and in heaven. Your heart and soul has given life and purpose to so many whether is be short or long term existence in your loving care...all these little angles will forever hold you dear to their hearts. Just as all of us here, we have the utmost respect and trust in your loving care for these babies.
Hanna, I am sorry for the loss of your sweet little Naruto, please know that he came home to touch you with his light. Godspeed sweet little baby.
gangel

Re: A New Battle - The Battle has ended - 05/03/08 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: ValkyrieMome
Oh Val - this is so unexpected.

You STOP RIGHT NOW questioning yourself and blaming yourself. You know that you did all that you could to save a baby - and that's what matters! Hindsight is 20/20 - and maybe if you'd known the battle he was really up against, you would have done things differently. However, knowing what I know of you - I doubt it. You would have fought just as hard to keep this adorable, unfortunate misfit alive.

As you grieve - please remember to grieve for the loss of a beautiful life - DO NOT feel sad that you should have done more, or less, or different.

CCW is to blame for creating this sad soul, and when your anger is ready, you know we will help you fight them.

I second that!!! You did WAY more than most people would for a pet that wasn't even yours!!

You are awesome!
Posted By: Dancing

Re: A New Battle - The Battle has ended - 05/03/08 04:07 PM

Val, my heart aches for you. What you do every single day is so difficult that many really can not grasp the emotions that you go through. So many times we give everything we have and then some and sadly, we loose the battle, even after we thought we had won. And it hurts. It is supposed to hurt. That hurt shows us how true and deeply we love. When it stops hurting, we need to stop doing what we do. (as rescuers)

I hope that your pain dimenishes quickly for you. I hope you know how much your love and efforts are appreciated by us lowly humans and the wonderful little souls you help each day.

Hanna, I'm so very sorry for you loss. You did everything you could, including getting help when you needed it. This tragic ending is NOT your fault, nor is it Val's. The blame here lies solely with CCW and the slime that follows the practices he does.

NewNu's life was short but he touched so many with his struggles and triamphs. May peace be with all touched by this little life.

Re: A New Battle - The Battle has ended - 05/03/08 06:11 PM

Oh Val, I'm so sorry this little guy didn't get to live a full life. At least he had some happiness & better health for a bit because you cared & his mom & grandma cared. You do so much good for these sick gliders, but you can't win them all & I know you did the best for this little guy, don't be so hard on yourself, sometimes, only God knows what is best for them. hug2 hug2 hug2 Lots of HUGS & PRAYERS being sent to you.

Re: A New Battle - The Battle has ended - 05/03/08 10:09 PM

Val! Im sooo sorry!!! Im crying reading your post and looking back at the last pics frown
Just take peace knowing he is no longer suffering and remeber all the good memeories even though his time with you was so short

~~~hugs~~~~
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: A New Battle - The Battle has ended - 05/04/08 01:26 AM

cry I'm so sorry Val hug2
Posted By: kthiessen

Re: A New Battle - The Battle has ended - 05/04/08 01:41 AM

hug2
Posted By: Sheila

Re: A New Battle - The Battle has ended - 05/04/08 03:25 AM

Val I am so sorry. You did everything you could. We are in the hands of the Father. It was his time to go. My prayers are for you. gangel
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: A New Battle - The Battle has ended - 05/04/08 04:46 AM

I am so sorry Val. hug2 He left this world knowing and feeling what absolute and unconditional love is, and you did that for him. hug2
Posted By: Feather

Re: A New Battle - The Battle has ended - 05/04/08 09:42 PM

hug2 I am so sorry to hear that the little guy has lost his battle with the poor start he got in life. He was a little fighter.

Don't beat yourself up about this, you went all out and did everything in your power to keep this little soul alive.

He is whole now and frolicing free over the rainbow bridge.

Deepest Sympathy and hug2 hug2

Re: A New Battle - The Battle has ended - 05/05/08 10:40 PM

Very few are the gliders who have 2 moms to love them & care for them...but Naruto is blessed that he has both of you, Hanna & Val.

Our time on the phone was brief, Hanna, but I could tell in your voice that you are a caring, loving glider mom. And Val, I know your heart...and how much it's breaking right now.

I'm joining my tears with yours over Naruto's passing...
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL