GliderCENTRAL

SM can happen to anyone

Posted By: kitsune

SM can happen to anyone - 12/13/11 01:00 PM

I've never dealt with SM before, and I've thanked my lucky stars many times for that. Now, I can no longer say that.

My Lucy was just weaning her last set of joeys, they are 7 weeks. I heard odd noises the night before, but I checked them and everyone was ok. Took Lucy out for a kiss on the head, put her back. Last night I was pulling the boys out for some pouch training out and about and instead of pulling out one of the boys, I pulled out Lucy's limp body. She was still warm. Her pouch was torn open. I'm going to get her in for a necropsy, but my guess is she may have had mastitis. The boys are very upset and crabby. I put them with their daddy.

My point of this post is that there was no warning. The strange noises may have been a precursor, but there were none today. Her pouch was a little droopy, but these boys were her 14th and 15th joeys, and she was due to retire after these two. I didn't really think anything of the pouch, it didn't look irritated. She went from bright-eyed and bushy tailed to...what I found, 2 hours later. Lucy had no history of injuries or SM. She's been so healthy that she's only been to the vet for checkups. Please be vigilant with your little ones, especially mamas that may be showing discomfort. You never think it will happen to you until it does. Be prepared, keep an ecollar and jacket...I keep thinking to myself if I'd only caught her before she'd done too much damage, I could have saved her.
Posted By: nancy1202

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/13/11 01:44 PM

Beth, I am so sorry. Things happen no matter how vigilant we try to be. Lucy obviously was an awesome mom, and raised her last set of joeys until they were old enough to be eating on their own. :sorry:
Posted By: yiyo

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/13/11 01:56 PM

How terrible hug2 hug2 hug2
I'm so sorry to hear this cry
Posted By: glidrz5

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/13/11 02:11 PM

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/13/11 02:15 PM

Thank you for your sentiments, I really do appreciate them--but I don't want this thread to get tucked away in memorials. I would like this thread to help people understand how important it is to be prepared for SM behavior, no matter how unlikely it seems. Ecollars and jackets must be kept on hand for this kind of emergency. If I had caught her and didn't have a jacket or collar, I would have been just as helpless to save her.
Posted By: AmandaSnyder

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/13/11 02:19 PM

Aww sweety i am so sry this has happened to u,i know its hard but i hope the good memories of her helps you threw.I bet she loved you and enjoyed her time with you but shes in glider heaven now and will never hurt again.I can now say i know what your going threw because i have never went threw this and i hope and pray that it never does.Thanjks for sharing this story god bless you!!!
Posted By: Cora

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/13/11 02:37 PM

OMG how strange.Did you have a necropsy done? ((((HUGS)))) that was something none of should experience but it can happen to any glider anytime just like you said. lit a candle in memory of you girl...................
Posted By: Lunas_mom

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/13/11 04:11 PM

I'm sorry to hear about Lucy.
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/13/11 04:46 PM

cry cry cry Beth, I'm SOOOO heartbroken for you.....what else can I say? hug2 hug2
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/13/11 06:37 PM

Beth I'm so sorry for your loss. What a shock!

Hugs to you. So sorry and sad.
Posted By: Dancing

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/13/11 06:57 PM

First Beth, I am so very sorry. I can't imagine the loss you are feeling at such an unexpected turn of events. From what you described, this was NOT your fault and you should NOT be blaming yourself. I know it is second nature for us to second guess and it is true, hindsight is 20/20. Glide free Lucy.

Since you want this on here for educational purposes, not just a memorial, I want to comment on this.

You said...
Quote:
If I had caught her and didn't have a jacket or collar, I would have been just as helpless to save her.

Even if you (you being anyone with gliders) don't have an ecollar or ejacket RIGHT there and handy, you can take and wrap up a glider like a burrito, in fleece or a shirt or even a towel (what ever IS right there and handy) and HOLD him/her until you can get to the vet and/or get them in an ecollar or ejacket.
When a glider starts to self mutilate, you do what ever you have to do to keep them from chewing on themselves, even if it means they are chewing on you. You will survive the wounds they inflict, they might not.

Self mutilation is not common but it can happen to any glider. Always be prepared for the worst but don't hold your breath waiting for the worst to happen.
Posted By: tbull

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/13/11 07:32 PM

I am very sorry for your loss. Please let us know what the necropsy says. I am dealing with mastitis right now with one of my moms, and it is unmistakable. I don't want to take away from your post and important message about Sming, so will make another post in the health forum.

hug2

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/14/11 04:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Dancing
Even if you (you being anyone with gliders) don't have an ecollar or ejacket RIGHT there and handy, you can take and wrap up a glider like a burrito, in fleece or a shirt or even a towel (what ever IS right there and handy) and HOLD him/her until you can get to the vet and/or get them in an ecollar or ejacket.
When a glider starts to self mutilate, you do what ever you have to do to keep them from chewing on themselves, even if it means they are chewing on you. You will survive the wounds they inflict, they might not.

Self mutilation is not common but it can happen to any glider. Always be prepared for the worst but don't hold your breath waiting for the worst to happen.

Very good advice, Teresa. Thank you for adding to this thread.
Posted By: LSardou

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/14/11 04:31 AM

Beth, I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you. hug2

Glide Free, Lucy. :rbridge:
Posted By: Sherri

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/14/11 06:41 AM

I'm so sorry Beth! Glide free sweet Lucy.
Posted By: Meg_n_Von

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/14/11 07:05 AM

I'm so sorry. hug2 It's amazing how fast things like this can happen. frown But DO NOT blame yourself! hug2
Posted By: SecretSquirrel

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/14/11 07:56 AM

Firstly I want to tell you that I'm sorry for your loss and that I can't even begin to comprehend the hurt that you are suffering right now. I haven't had the chance to get to know you but I want to send you a cyber hug (I don't know how to do the cute smileys, so sorry for that too).

Secondly I would like to thank you for being willing to put something so painful up for the rest of us to learn from, honestly I thought that SM would typically take longer to have life-threatening effects and I will be more vigilant than I think I would have been when I get my gliders.
Posted By: suggiebabylover

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/14/11 08:04 AM

:rbridge: glide free little one.
hug2 to you Beth.
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/14/11 08:42 AM

So sorry hug2
Posted By: angelic4296

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/16/11 05:09 AM

Beth, I'm so sorry but thank you for making this post, its such an important reminder....
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/17/11 06:32 AM

So sorry to hear about this Beth.
Thanks for posting this.
Posted By: hwh4ev

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/17/11 12:57 PM

sorry to hear abt. this. glide free little momma.

take care,
nancy in detroit
Posted By: Sugaree

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/17/11 02:07 PM

I am so sorry about your loss Beth.. frown
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/17/11 02:49 PM

Beth, because you took the time thru your grief to share this with us, Lucy's death will not have been in vain. She will undoubtedly save many lives and prepare many glider owners.

I am so very sorry for your loss. hug2
Posted By: rach

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/17/11 03:09 PM

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. cry
Posted By: ssdreamsicles

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/17/11 04:26 PM

Beth,

Im so very very sorry for your loss. I know lucy was a good mom and glider. Im so heart broken for you. She was my esme's mommy and i could not even think of what id do if i lost esme. I know you and you are a good glider mommy. Sadly they just hide things until its to late. You will be in my thoughts.

I want to also add that even if we are prepaired to the max things can still happen that are not in out control to stop. No matter how many ecollars, fluids, and a crammped full ekit things can still go wrong. One shoul dnever blame themselfs. We know how fast a glider can go down hill.
Posted By: Feather

Re: SM can happen to anyone - 12/17/11 05:03 PM

Beth,

I am very sorry for your loss.

I would like to add to this thread, please try to keep e-collars and/or e-jackets on hand. You never know when you will need them.

I had four neuters done Thursday afternoon and one of the rescue males tore himself open as soon as he came out of the anesthetic. Thankfully I had three different sizes of Denise's e-jackets on hand.

Hugo was put back under and they put in two dissolving sutures in and we put the e-jacket on him.

I don't know what I would do without those e-jackets. They have just paid for themselves with one use.

Hugo isn't happy, even unhappier when I have to medicate him twice a day, he is getting pain meds 1X daily and antibiotics 2Xs daily, but he is alive.

I have 5 different e-collars and 3 e-jackets in my first aid kit.

It pays to be prepared.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL