GliderCENTRAL

Rejected joey...Bloated?

Posted By: krysKritters

Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 12:05 PM

For those of you that don't know, I have my first rejected joey that I have been handfeeding for about 2 days now.
Her appetite seems good and she is warm and voiding well, however she seems bloated. confused

When I look at her belly there is a large white spot which I though was the formula (meaning she was full) but the area is now across her belly. about the size of a thumb print (she is barley the size of my thumb.) Her belly looks bloated and feels firm.

Yesterday she weighed 0.4 oz and today 0.3 oz, I expected there to be a little flexuation in the weight since is it such a small amount but I am concerned about the white spot on her belly. confused

I don't know what to do!

...I am breathing and calm.... but VERY concerned
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 12:12 PM

The bloating combined with the weight loss are both very strong signs that she needs to be seen by a vet right away. Please bring her in as soon as your vet's office opens up and then keep us posted on her progress...

Bloating in joeys CAN be overcome, but veterinary intervention is needed. I know that Crescent's Sky went through this and the vets at Cornell University were able to get him past it. I will PM Crescent's phone number to you so you can contact her about possible treatment options.

hug2 hug2 hug2
Posted By: SweetGliders

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 12:12 PM

Ok, you said she has been voiding ok? How often are you feeding her and approx. how old is she?

Anita heart

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 12:19 PM

I took a picture to try to give an idea of what I mean.

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 12:21 PM

She is eating approx every 1 1/2 - 2 hours about 0.4 - 0.5 cc

She is about 1 - 2 week OOP.

I will call my vet now, I am not sure if they open at 8 or 9...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 12:25 PM

Suz I had the same thing last night.
I am sending you a pm.

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 12:28 PM

Krys,
She does look like she's bloated and the white spot does appear to be formula in her stomach... Please let us know what the vet says once you get her in hug2 hug2 hug2

macwood6,
I'll still be online for about another 15 minutes. Otherwise, you can call me at 440-520-4799 (cell#)...

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 12:34 PM

The vet opens at 8:30am so I will let you all know. I figure it was formula because at her last feeding she only ate 0.2 cc but still seems hungry.
Poor Baby.
I will keep you all posted!

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 12:35 PM

I going to call cresent now.

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 12:42 PM

Thanks again Suz

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 03:35 PM

Any update on these little ones KrysKritters & macwood6???

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 04:32 PM

Sorry, I had to tend to my human children...
I spoke to Cresent & the vet...

So far Ruby (the joey) isn't showing any other signs of "danger" she is active, hungry and voiding fine.

I did make an appointment with the vet anyway. Tomorrow @ 9AM. I can bring her in today but it would cost the "emergency fee"...
So after speaking with the vet and cresent, we all think she will be ok until tomorrow but if anything changes she will go ASAP to the vet.

I am also spacing out her feedings a little to try to give her time to digest. I've been checking on her every hour and trying to let her void, along with keeping her warm but I only feed her every 2 1/2 hours or so. She seems ok with this, not crying for more food or waking up hungry.

I am also weighing her to watch for any changes. She was 0.4oz and is now 0.3oz if she drops lower, I will immediatley bring her to the vet. I am hoping (as with newborn human babies) the weight will just vary a little.

I think (hope) for now this is the best I can do.

Suz, if you have any time, I'd love to speak with you to get your opinions. (I PM'd you my cell #)

Thanks again everyone for your support and advice! I will keep you all updated. smile
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 04:56 PM

Krys, you may want to weigh her in grams as it will be easier to see the difference in fluctuation with her weight... For instance, 0.3 ounces is 8.54 grams and 0.4 ounces is 11.39 grams, which is a rather large difference in gliders, but especially in a joey.

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 04:58 PM

Unfortuantley the only scale I have that is capable of weighing somthing so small is my postal scale and it only has oz & lbs.
frown

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 05:49 PM

well darn frown You can use this site to do your conversion to grams, I really think it'll make a big difference instead of weighing in ounces!

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 05:54 PM

Hi Suz I was going to call you I just ran out to get more pedialyte my son knock the bottle over. Eager to help.

I spoke with Dr. Pisciottas office he is not in today.I did relay info to another vet there that does not spealize in gliders.
She told me to increase the times I am feeding since it appears mom has no milk or only enough for those two still in pouch. As of this morning I was lettinh her do some of the feeding but that is not working because like just now when I went to fed one had a full belly one was empty.
So they told me tocheck every hour or two and to keep feeding the formula and pedialyte to help get them a little more hydrated since her milk supply is not stable.
She said she did not know if it would effect the babies in pouch if she kept trying to feed, they said to keep a close eye and to call 8am when they opened and that they would get me in his schedule in the morning.
They are both 8 grams but eating and going smile
Any other advice?
I just fed then and I put them in the incubator since mom is sleeping to see if I can get a better idea how far apart they need to eat since he seems to empty out faster then her. Both are more active and stronger this morning they were both climbing up my shirt smile

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 06:40 PM

Your not in NY are you?

... we could get together & feed everyone in shifts... roflmao

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 06:45 PM

actually, I think they are in NY wink

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 06:56 PM

Long Island actually.
My head was spinning this morning my daughter still gets up so I did them when I got up with her just took longer to get back to bed. LOL
I finally fell back asleep to hear my son come in right up to my face and say mom (very light)
Then scream the babies are crying!!
I said Im coming and then I hear thats ok I'll feed them.
Nothing makes you move faster at 5 in the morning!!

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 07:08 PM

Oh yeah... Mine are 9yr, 6yr and 10 months... All girls...all trouble... roflmao I am in orange county, not far but still a hefty drive.

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 07:18 PM

Sorry I was cleaning FLOAM out of my childrens bed sheets LOL
My husband was just in Walden dropping off his work truck the other day.
Mine are 13yrs, 7yrs, 5 yrs (BOYS) and my daughter just turned 3 but she hates to sleep. I also have my neice here who is 3 so between them and these 2 joeys I am getting no sleep.

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 07:31 PM

yeah, Walden is about 5 minutes from my house... small world an't it ?

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 07:38 PM

Did you hear anything from Suz?

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 07:44 PM

no, not yet. but I pretty much know what to do, I just wanted to hear her opinion on the subject.
Do you need help?

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 07:45 PM

No just wanted to see if there was anything else to do till morning. The suggie vet gets in at 8.

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 07:46 PM

Hire a babysitter and take a nap... roflmao

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 08:07 PM

I am home right now, but am on the phone... I'll call you Krys as soon as I can...
Posted By: Kiiru

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/16/07 10:04 PM

Is that one of Pipers new babies? >.< I hope everything works out!

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/17/07 06:30 PM

No Kiiru, Piper's joey are not OOP yet (any day now) this is actually one of Shorty's joeys, she belongs to Nana_Kym.

This was Shorty & Sebastian's 2nd attemp at being parents, Sebastian will now be neutered, as it is obvious they don't want to raise joeys. frown

Nana_Kym lives down the road from me and was leaving for 3 days so that is why I had Ruby.

I want to thank everyone for there help and support, unfortunatley Ruby passed away. We tried everything we could... cry

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/17/07 06:34 PM

cry I'm so sorry hug2

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/17/07 06:40 PM

Krys,
You truly did everything possible for Ruby and know that she is now gliding & free in a much better place gangel I'm sure my Pika & Cricky will be watching over her for you and your mom heart
Call me if you need a shoulder to cry on cry
hug2 hug2 hug2

Sadly moving this over to Rainbow Memorials now... frown

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/17/07 07:01 PM

Thanks again, everyone...
My daughters are decorating a small white box for us to bury her in when my mom returns home tonight. I know that it just wasn't meant to be and she is safe and happy where she is...

This morning my daughter cried and told me "...but mommy, she didn't get to live her life yet..." and I told her, The thing that matters most is that we did the best we could ... and even though her life was short, she was LOVED and that is all that matters! gangel

Posted By: Dancing

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/17/07 07:09 PM

Kry, I'm so sorry that Ruby didn't make it. Looking at the pictures and remembering back to my rejected joey (who's tummy never looked THAT full) I wonder if the joey may have had a defective stomach? I know it is something we won't know with out a necropsy and those are pretty expensive (I doubt I would have it done myself).

There is generally a reason the joeys are rejected and often those reasons are only known to the parents. I just wonder if this pair are producing joeys with birth defects. I still agree that he should be neutered so the parents (and your mom) doesn't have to go through this again.

I am so sorry and I wish I had been more available to you.

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/17/07 07:18 PM

I was wondering the same thing, that there was something wrong that I could not see.

The daddy is definatley getting neutered.

You were very available to me. I also spoke with Cresent & Suz, I thank you ALL for your support, time, & help. I just think there was nothing really any of us could do.

...but as I said earlier, the more important thing is we tried our best & she was loved...
Posted By: SweetGliders

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/17/07 09:46 PM

Kry,
I went to read your post about Ruby hoping things were going well and read that Ruby had passed on, my heart just dropped. I know you had some great people helping you, I wish I could have been there too. You got alot of good advise, but always remember with rejected babies sometimes it's just not meant for us to be able to pull them through. I am so sorry sweetie. My heart go out to you and your daughter for doing everything possible to save her. Believe you me she knows how much she was loved before she passed on. Sending you both lots of hugs.... hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2

Anita heart
Posted By: Sheila

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/17/07 11:07 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. Sometimes babies can get backed up and for those reading in the future, more frequent feeding and less than .4 to .5 for that age joey (if their tummy looks like that). At 8 grams they are not developed enough to actually digest that much milk. I know how sad you are right now. You did everything you could. cry

Re: Rejected joey...Bloated? - 08/18/07 08:53 PM

Thank you all for your kind words & thoughtfull expressions. It's so very comforting to know you are all out there.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL