GliderCENTRAL

Urgent help needed for joey

Posted By: Anonymous

Urgent help needed for joey - 05/04/08 02:47 AM

Mom died and baby in pouch is moving. I read about the surrogate but I don't have any nursing mom's now. Can I place the joey in a pouch of a mom who joey's oop in Dec 07. Not been with a male since. What to do. Baby is fully formed, sex is male, bald about 2 inches long very active. Is he to young to try to raise with dropper or is the only way with a surrogate? If surrogate does she have to be nursing or joey's in pouch???
Help...

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/04/08 02:52 AM

omg this is so horrible - I'm so sorry I have no experience with joeys or hand raising but I know there are many members on these forums with hands-on knowledge of what to do next. I know that for SURE you need to be keeping the joey warm as they cannot regulate their own temp. I'm sure someone will come with directions of how to respond very soon....

Also, do you know how long the mother has been "gone" and do you have any pics so maybe we will be able to tell how close to being OOP the joey is??

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/04/08 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: suggiemom_1980
For Rejected Joey Emergencies, please call me 24/7 at 440-953-0904 (or toll-free 866-399-4476); leave a message, then try my cell: 440-520-4799. Suz

I hope it was not bad for me to quote that from another post (and I'm sorry if it is) but I'd presume its kind of the same circumstances as having a rejected joey... I've heard that Suz is extremely helpful for these cases.
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/04/08 02:58 AM

Do you know how close to being OOP this baby is?

Your best bet is to call Suz -
440-953-0904 (home)
866-399-4476 (toll-free at home)
if no answer please leave a message and then try:
440-520-4799 (cell)
Posted By: Trigger

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/04/08 03:07 AM

Praying hard for this baby. Do your best to get in touch with Suz. She can walk you thru this. She is the best when it comes to joeys.

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/04/08 03:16 AM

I had read all of suz site but there was nothing for a joey this small. The mom was dead only a few minuets when I took the baby out and put him in a piece of warm fleece. He is now next to my heart like suz said. We had company over any their 18 month old girl took Nola "the mom" out and let her go outside. The next thing I knew was I heard the dogs bark and I went out to see what was going on and one of them had just killed Nola. I am sick with this. I will attach a picture but it is hard to see. I might have to take some more. Sorry I can't get the picture to attach.

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/04/08 03:19 AM

Have you actually gotten to call Suz? She may have some better insight for this young joey other than her site...
Posted By: glidergrl1513

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/04/08 03:19 AM

Please CALL Suz, she is willing to help out in an emergency at any hour.

Where are you located? It's probably a long shot, but maybe you could find someone whose glider might accept the joey.

Can you tell how old the joey is?

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/04/08 03:22 AM

((oh yeah, and maybe you need to register to get the pic/link to attach)) Please Call Suz!! crazy
Posted By: Laurens_Babies

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/04/08 03:23 AM

Did you have any issues getting the joey out??? If not the joey could be old enough. Where are you located??
Posted By: Laurens_Babies

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/04/08 03:29 AM

Oh please respond where are you located??

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/04/08 03:35 AM

Sorry it is taking me a while to reply...I have a newborn baby who keeps waking up because of all the commotion...I live in Louisiana. I now have the baby in Kia's pouch (my other mama)she seems to be nurturing it. I am afaid it is to small to latch on. I am going to call Suz on my way to the vet he is meeting me to give me some milk and an incubator for the baby. Hopefully Kia will take the baby since she has always been such a good mama....just I am not sure since she is not bred and has been dry for 3 months. SHe will at least keep baby warm until I can get the milk and incubator. I have no idea how old baby would be.....he is fully formed sex and all...transulsant....about 2 inches long ???
Got to head out to meet the vet...will let you know how it goes.

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/04/08 03:37 AM

Ok good, I'm glad to know you're on the way to get help for the little one. I hope everything works out well and you are in my thoughts!!!
Posted By: tbull

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/04/08 03:42 AM

hug2 best wishes for you and your little one hug2

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/04/08 03:49 AM

I hope your little one is ok . . .please keep us posted.
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/04/08 03:53 AM

cry I'm so sorry to hear about this tragic accident. I hope that everything will be alright for this little joey. Please keep us posted on how everything is, and let us know if we can be of further help.
Sending you lots of hugs and prayers.
hug2
Posted By: GliderLove

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/04/08 04:32 AM

Oh this is just so sad. Please do give an update when you can! Hang in there..miracles do happen hug2
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/04/08 03:53 PM

Any updates???

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/04/08 04:16 PM

I'm going to move this to breeding and babies. Please do register and update us on this little guy hug2

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/04/08 05:04 PM

This is LaNetta the owner of the baby joey in distress..I spoke to Suz and she feels the baby is too young to save but I am still trying....he is not moving as much today but I have him on pedialyte and breast milk. He is warm in an incubator or I carry him in my bra. The surragate mom decided she did not want him but as Suz said she wouldn't have had anything for him anyway since she did not have any joey's now.

Thank you all for all your help. Fast response's and wow baby Noah would not have lived this long if it hadn't been for you all.

I still have one problem and that is my male "Critter" is still loose outside and I guess he has found a warm place to go to sleep for the day. Hopefully tonight he will find his way back to his cage....I moved the whole cage outside for him to go to it.

My glider's are so kid friendly that I guess when that little girl opened the door to play with them last night they probably just jumped on her and she went outside to find us the jumped off to explore. We were all cooking BBQ in the yard and I didn't even know that she was in my Glider room in the house.

I feel like such a bad mama right now I am sick with myself.

Thanks again and keep praying.
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/04/08 05:27 PM

LaNetta, I wish the best for you and Noah. I'm so sorry you have to go thru this.

One of my husbands friends came to visit him. I'm not exactly fond of this friend, so I went into the bedroom, leaving hubby and friend in the front room with Jasper, Sara and new joey, Lady Jaclyn. (They weren't in the glider room cause they were still under 30 day quarantine) Fifteen minutes later, hubby went to the bathroom to get dressed for work, leaving his friend with my suggies.

About an hour after they left for work, a friend of mine came to visit. She wanted to see the new joey. I opened the door and looked in the pouch.

NO SUGGIES!!!

I quickly looked thru the entire cage.

NO SUGGIES!!!

I gently pulled the cover off the cage and laid it on the floor and started feeling for warm lumps. Thankfully, I found all three suggies! I am POSITIVE the doors were closed before I checked on them, as they had been the night before when I checked on them before I went to bed. So the ONLY way they could have gotten out of the cage was for my husband's friend to open the door, which, of course, he denied doing. (He wants a glider for his wife who is mentally slow and I refuse to sell one to him cause I know she isn't capable of taking care of one). I guess he thought he could reach in and get one like he had seen me do and steal it. I can only hope he got bit by daddy Jasper when he invaded their cage. They thankfully didn't go far to get away from him and I found them before anything bad could happen. I immediately put locks on their cage doors because this friend came to visit my husband 4-5 times a week.

You aren't a bad mama! You had no idea this child would go in their room or be able to open their cage, anymore than I knew my husbands friend would try to steal my gliders. Please, don't blame yourself!

As for Critter, the best thing you can do is what you've already done by putting his cage outside. Where are the dogs? Can you put them where they won't get to and/or scare him from coming home? Will he come to you if he hears your voice? Maybe you could call to him. In my experience, however, once they're asleep, my suggies don't wake up til dinner time.

Please, keep us posted!

Posted By: Trigger

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/04/08 05:51 PM

Oh I am so sorry this has happened. I will keep your joey and Critter in my prayers. Wishing you the best and sending hugs your way. hug2

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/04/08 06:32 PM

Sending prayers for Noah hug2

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/04/08 08:35 PM

Hows the little one doing?
Posted By: Janie

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/04/08 09:00 PM

I hope Critter finds his way home and lots of prayers to Noah also

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/05/08 01:31 AM

I have been outside crying for about 3 hours calling for Critter. I took "Sydney" my adopted sugar glider outside who chatters anytime you touch her. Critter is the only glider that can make her happy. I thought that maybe with her chattering he would come so far no luck.

On a worse note Noah died at 2:00 p.m. this afternoon and we buried him with his mom "Nola" in the back yard. I have never lost a glider or a joey before. I guess after this bout of crying for last 3 hours my husband can label me as he wants but her thinks I have lost my mind. I love my gliders as I do my children but I have never lost a child before. If it hurts this bad to loose a glider I will just love my children more.

I hope Critter will show. Nola and Critter where my first Gliders and I have had them 5 years. Nothing like this has ever happened to me and I hope nothing will again.

Thanks again for your prayers. I have not lost hope for Critter yet.

P.S. My dogs are in cages for now.
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/05/08 01:35 AM

hug2 My heart goes out to you sweetie. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your joey, mommy, and now your other baby is missing. I wished there was something I could say of do to help ease your sorrow. Please know that your in my thoughts and prayers. Many blessings.....
Godspeed sweet little angels gangel
Posted By: kthiessen

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/05/08 02:58 AM

I'm so sorry. hug2

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/05/08 02:03 PM

I'm so sorry LaNetta hug2 I hope Critter finds his way home to you and Sydney soon!

Re: Urgent help needed for joey - 05/05/08 08:47 PM

It is just heartbreaking to know that we can loose something so sweet so fast. My prayers and thoughts are with you and Critter.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL