GliderCENTRAL

shocked? hiberneted? sugar glider

Posted By: Anonymous

shocked? hiberneted? sugar glider - 01/02/07 11:07 AM

Hello
Please help.
I have bought a pair oof sugar gliders only 1 week ago.
This morning when i went to see them the girl was down the bottam of the cage not mooving i felt her and she was cold and quite stiff so thought she had died. It seems she somehow managed to get her front foot caught in the pull out tray down the bottam of the cage so i unhooked her foot and put her on a hot water bottle. The only sighn of life was that she wasn't totaly stiff yet so we massaged her and even tried a bit of recussitation anyway after a lot of warmth and massage she seemed to get a bit more supple and is at the moment still totaly unconcious but is getting more and more supple. it has been sugested that it could be shock and exhaustion and got cold down the bottam of the cage. so to keep her warm and quiet and as soon as she comes too to give her high energy food like honey. I just wondered and hoped you may have some idea as to whats happening and what i should do.
my email address is- kraizyk@hotmail.com and tel no.- 01558668831. ( although i live in the UK so dont expect you to phone.) I will be here to check my emails though for replies or any more info needed to get a full picture. please help. Thank you
kirsty.

Re: shocked? hiberneted? sugar glider - 01/02/07 12:16 PM

I am so sorry this is happening.

Please keep her warm and get her to a vet now. There are so many different things that could be wrong. Whatever happened to her, she needs vet care now. They can give her sub-q fluids and medication.

Please keep us posted and register if you get a free moment so you can access all the info on the different forums.

Godspeed

Angel

Re: shocked? hiberneted? sugar glider - 01/02/07 01:19 PM

hi
thank you for your reply. i have booked to go to the vets but its several hours untuil they can see her. she is showing increasing sighns of life i saw her eye moove and she's let off some smells. but still no conciousness.
as it's a while untuil she can see the vet. Could it be hibernation as she get soooo cold. and if so i've been searching everywhere for info on hibernation and what to do if they hibernate but all i can find is that they often die if they go into hibernation. please any further ideas.
thank you
kirsty.
Posted By: Xfilefan

Re: shocked? hiberneted? sugar glider - 01/02/07 01:23 PM

Actually no, it's not hibernation. That takes a lot colder temps for longer periods. This would be stress, shock, and likely dehydration-all of which can kill. Keep her ON YOU and warm until you get there...if you can, call the vet back and tell them that this glider is critical and needs care NOW. She needs fluids and electrolytes and warmth immediately, and the vet as soon as you can. This little one is not in good shape. If you can get her to take some fluids between now and then, that would be good...fruit juice, nectar, pedialyte if you have some. Keep us updated.
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: shocked? hiberneted? sugar glider - 01/02/07 01:42 PM

I agree with Jen. Please get this little one to the vet RIGHT AWAY! Show up & tell them it is critical. If she doesn't get immediate veterinary attention, she will die! As Jen said, she needs sub-q fluids, electrolytes, possibly oxygen. She is in shock and needs immediate vet care if she is going to survive.
Please let us know what the vet says once you get back home again & keep us updated on her condition. Do not take "later" for an answer from your vet. If they can't see her immediately, take her to a different vet. If you show up on their doorstep, I doubt they'll turn you away. Gliders do NOT hibernate in normal temperatures.

Re: shocked? hiberneted? sugar glider - 01/02/07 06:09 PM

this is just to say thank you to all of you for your help and advice.
Sadly and much to my heartbreak she died. I did get her to the vets and they were very good and gave her fluids and electrolites etc and even adrenalin to the heart but sadly she died.
But i wanted to let you all know and also say how greatfull i am for the website's emergency page and also that you dont have to be a member to post on there as there really is no time for registering in emergencies. so thank you for that provision.
now i've got to give her companion loads of attention and get her tame (as i've only had them a week and they are unfriendly at the moment) as quickly as possible so that i can comfort her as shes very upset and hasn't gone to bed all day just hung around the top of the cage. so i've got to try to make the loss easier on her.
I guess i'll be scrolling the forums for how to help her next.
sometimes life stinks!
thanx again
kirsty

Re: shocked? hiberneted? sugar glider - 01/02/07 06:29 PM

So sorry for your loss. If only there were words that would help.

Godspeed

Angel cloud9
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: shocked? hiberneted? sugar glider - 01/02/07 06:49 PM

Kirsty, sorry to hear you lost her hug2
Posted By: Xglider

Re: shocked? hiberneted? sugar glider - 01/02/07 06:55 PM

SO sorry for your loss...
Posted By: FURBYnGIZMO

Re: shocked? hiberneted? sugar glider - 01/02/07 07:21 PM

You certainly did what you could for your baby cry

I'm so sorry she didn't make it hug2

She was loved by you all the way to the end...

Even if you just had her for a week they do seem to know you want to do right by them. upset

Posted By: LSardou

Re: shocked? hiberneted? sugar glider - 01/02/07 08:12 PM

hug2 that is so sad, I am sorry that you lost her. You did everything that you could and she knew it. Thank You for giving her the love and home that you did. heart
Posted By: Gossamer

Re: shocked? hiberneted? sugar glider - 01/02/07 09:09 PM

I'm so sorry. I was really hoping she would be okay.
Posted By: Their_mommy

Re: shocked? hiberneted? sugar glider - 01/02/07 10:09 PM

So sorry to hear you lost your little girl.
There was no way you can have prevented this from happening but I know that all of us will learn from this and try harder to keep our little fuzbutts safe.

Re: shocked? hiberneted? sugar glider - 01/02/07 10:25 PM

Oh No! I'm so terribly sorry! I was reading this post earlier this morning and thinking about you all day! Sending lots of hugs your way!
Posted By: TracieB

Re: shocked? hiberneted? sugar glider - 01/02/07 10:32 PM

kirsty, I'm so sorry you lost your little girl. Yes, be sure and give her cagemate lots of love and attention and keep her with you as much as possible. You'll both need each other to get through this. I wish there was something I could say or do to help. Sending ((((Hugs)))), prayers and good thoughts your way.

Re: shocked? hiberneted? sugar glider - 01/02/07 11:44 PM

Kirsty I am so sorry honey. I hope you can bond with your other baby and maybe that will help you both heal! hug2
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: shocked? hiberneted? sugar glider - 01/03/07 01:55 AM

Kirsty,
I'm so sorry that she didn't make it. Please do take advantage of your new membership and browse the rest of the forums, asking of help as you need it. We're all here for you...
hug2 hug2 hug2
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL