GliderCENTRAL

Don't give up trying to revive them!

Posted By: Anonymous

Don't give up trying to revive them! - 03/30/10 05:09 AM

Over the weekend I made a horrible mistake, and tonight I am joining as many sugar-glider-related forums as possible to make sure no one makes the same stupid mistake.

Most of you know that toilets are one of the most dangerous things to a sugar glider in your home. If you're smart, you will keep an eye on the glider when they are out of the cage, and if you're smarter, you'll close the toilet lids as an extra precaution.

But, if for some horrible reason you should find your glider in the toilet - don't freak out. I assumed my baby was dead - she was completely rigid, unresponsive and not breathing when I pulled her out of the toilet. I tried rubbing her and pushing her stomach in and talking loudly: nothing. Worst feeling in the world.

But! She wasn't dead. Sugar gliders lack body fat so when they hit semi-cold water they immediately go into shock - which saved her life. It looked as if she was dead, and my boyfriend actually put her in a sack and stuck her on the back porch to keep me from [censored] out. But I begged him to keep trying, and I'm so glad I did.

He took her back in, rubbed in a towel while occasionally blowing hot breath on her, and in about five to ten minutes she grabbed his finger, and slowly starting breathing again. It was quite a miracle, to say the least.

But I couldn't help wondering if this terrible freak accident has happened to others, and if they assumed their glider was dead. Can you imagine if we left her on the back porch and she woke up?

God, a terrible thought. I am hoping to prevent this by sharing my mistake.

If you are unlucky and irresponsible enough as I was (and will NEVER be again) and you happen to find your glider in water, don't assume she is dead, please! Keep her warm and help her circulation. If she makes it, keep her warm for THREE days, and check on her breathing - if it is uneven she may have a respiratory infection, which is easy to treat by visiting your vet.

Don't give up on her!

Best of luck to all you glider lovers.
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Don't give up trying to revive them! - 03/30/10 05:14 AM

What a remarkable story. I am so glad to hear that your little one is alright now.

Thank you for sharing, and bring this to everyone's attention. hug2

Moving this to Health & Hygiene
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: Don't give up trying to revive them! - 03/30/10 05:21 AM

Wow, I am so glad you kept on trying! Glad your baby is alright now. Get a toilet sticker under classifiedcentral:

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/918761/FREE_Toilet_stickers#Post918761

Re: Don't give up trying to revive them! - 03/30/10 05:22 AM

Yeah, I have heard of other people thinking their glider was dead and then having them come "back to life"...I guess out of shock.

Thanks goodness your girl is ok.
Posted By: WintersSong

Re: Don't give up trying to revive them! - 03/30/10 05:24 AM

I am glad that to hear that things turned out alright.
Thank you so much for sharing.
Posted By: Bozeman

Re: Don't give up trying to revive them! - 03/30/10 05:54 AM

I am glad to hear everything turned out ok. Let's be reminded of the dangers in our homes also. Slakesphere, gizmogirl is right, print out a toilet sticker, they are free!
Posted By: glidrz5

Re: Don't give up trying to revive them! - 03/30/10 08:02 AM

I'm so glad that you found her and were able to revive her.
Posted By: TempyKDog

Re: Don't give up trying to revive them! - 03/30/10 08:25 AM

Thanks for sharing that! Im so glad she was okay

Re: Don't give up trying to revive them! - 03/30/10 09:56 AM

I made toilet ladders. I took clear plastic canvas, zip ties and cheap toilet cleaners that hang on the inside of the toilet. I cut the toilet cleaner off it's bracket, zip tied a 2" x 4" piece of plastic canvas to it, bent the canvas a bit so it hugged the side of the toilet better, and clipped it toward the rear side of each toilet. I double check cage latches all the time, and I'm always checking the toilets to make sure the lids are down, but in a house with 3 boys, you can't be sure they will always shut the lids.
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Don't give up trying to revive them! - 03/30/10 10:06 AM

Thank you for relating your experience to all of us so we could learn. I knew that gliders could go into hypothermia quite easily, but didn't know that would cause them to appear deceased. Your experience, and the sharing of it, will likely save many other gliders' lives.

Re: Don't give up trying to revive them! - 03/30/10 10:58 AM

A truly beautiful story - I'm so glad your boyfriend listened to you and you got your baby back -

Sue
owned by
Posted By: tjlong

Re: Don't give up trying to revive them! - 03/30/10 02:44 PM

What an unfortunate event with such a fantastic ending! Thank you for sharing. What you experienced will definitely help others.
Posted By: hwh4ev

Re: Don't give up trying to revive them! - 03/30/10 03:46 PM

i am glad your baby is safe. this is a true learning experience for us, bringing the glider back.

thank you,
nancy in detroit
Posted By: SariYappa

Re: Don't give up trying to revive them! - 03/30/10 03:47 PM

What an amazing story. clap Yay for your baby being safe and sound with Mommy & Daddy again!

Thank you for sharing this story with as many suggie lovers as possible. I'm sure you'll be helping other glider slaves save their baby's lives! thanks
Posted By: Feather

Re: Don't give up trying to revive them! - 03/30/10 04:15 PM

I am so glad that this terrible situation turn out good. I hope your little one continues to thrive.

Please people keep all containers of water or liquids covered. Even if you think the glider cannot possibly fit into the container they can. I remember a post months back where the glider got into a gallon jug with liquid in it and she found him just before he got to tired to tread water and had to cut apart the jug to get him out.

Open containers of any liquid = dead glider!
Posted By: hpyhwn2003

Re: Don't give up trying to revive them! - 03/30/10 05:09 PM

Truely an inspiritual story! Thank you for sharing it. Prayers for continued healing and warmth are gliding your way.

Re: Don't give up trying to revive them! - 04/04/10 01:17 AM

That's an amazing story! I'm so glad she was okay.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL