GliderCENTRAL

Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!!

Posted By: Suggieluvin

Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/07/08 06:21 PM

Let me start by saying, I'm sorry if I ramble, don't spell well, & forget some things, its been a LONG, horrible morning!!!! I JUST NOW got home from the vets (going since 4:30 AM)
Where to start.......
At about 4:30AM, my husband heard the cats acting funny and went to check it out. He then comes back and wakes me. He said (trying to keep his cool for me), "Honey, wake up, something has happened to Lola." I asked him if it was bad and he said yes. I went in and he had found her out of the cage, on the floor, unable to move her back legs. So we scooped her up, grabbed the other pouch and brought Leelan (the daddy, her hubby) and her 2, 1 month old (OOP) joeys with us and went straight to the emergency vet.
They took her back, then the vet came back with her about 15 min. later (by the way, other than not being able to move from about the waist down, she acted fine, she drank water and you would have never known anything was wrong, until she tried to walk and had to drag herself, she had NO marks or wounds on her~~ We don't know if she fell or the cats batted at her, we have NO CLUE, there were no other signs of anything!!!!!) and off the bat the vet says, she cannot feel any pain at all and I said, isn't that REALLY BAD, and he replied, the worst news you can get. I then asked him if he had done x-rays and he said no, I wanted to talk to you about this. And then basically was insinuating (spelling ?) that there was no use and said the only thing to do was to put her to sleep.
So knowing, this may be true, but that I didn't like the vet anyways, I asked him if it would matter to wait and get my vet to x ray her or should I do it now, and he said it wouldn't matter. I told him either way she was going to be seen by my vet regaurdless and I was not putting her down right now. And then I asked him if he thought it would be ok for her to go back with her family and he said yes.
So we left and I had to wait for my vet to open. She did 2 x rays and didn't see any broken or fractured bones. She told me that things didn't look good for her but we could try giving her some time and meds. She said that with the x-ray not showing anything, that still didn't mean that a disc could have slipped and severed her spinal cord???
So I will have to pull her from her joeys and start her on meds. The meds are Burprenex, chloramphenicol, and metacam. She also showed me how the try and "milk" her bladder as we have not seen her go to the bathroom?
So all and all things look really bad, but all I can do is try!!!! If anyone has ever had any kind of experience with anything similar to this, any advise or what ever would be great!
Thanks, Ryan
Oh, and prayers would be great for my little baby Lola too!!! I think we will need a mirical! cry cry cry

PS~ we found out how she got out of the cage, its a suncoast tpye cage and there was a small gap from the back of the cage to the pull out grate and tray! PLEASE zip tie you grates to the back of the cage so it cannot move or be jarred at all!! Its was a small gap, but she found it.
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/07/08 06:30 PM

I'm sorry this is happening. I can't offer you any help - only my sympathy.

I'll be hanging on this thread waiting for updates, and holding good thoughts for you and Lola.

Do NOT give up on her! Val (jackie chan's mom) has experience with this, and Jackie Chan lives a normal, active life - Paralysis is NOT a death sentence. Don't let them condemn Lola!
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/07/08 06:37 PM

I don't have any experience, but I am praying very hard for Lola. You must be so scared for her. Please keep us posted.
Posted By: Suggiegramma

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/07/08 06:40 PM

My thoughts and prayers go out to Lola and you. As Val says, remember Jackie Chan!!!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/07/08 06:45 PM

I would say give Val a call she has had several gliders with back leg issues and a vet used to treating them.
I am going to pm you her number.
Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/07/08 07:00 PM

I'm on the phone with them now.

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/07/08 07:11 PM

Oh My! Im so sorry

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/07/08 07:27 PM

So sorry my prayers are with you. I have had experiences with the grate as well. And zip tied them because of my experiences!
Wishing you the best!

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/07/08 07:31 PM

Thank You Val

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/07/08 08:02 PM

Thank you all SO much!!! cloud9 I just got off the phone with val and suz! I now have my game plan! I just got Lolas nails freshly trimmed so she will not get hung on anything, Oh and on a good note!! I found her bladder!!! LOL And I got it empty ( now if she will start pooping on her own soon, I will feel so much better)!! I bet she feels better, although she didn't like it much (she still has a good chomp!! lol), but we gave her 2 mealworms after that and the nail trim, so she forgives me hug2
I will try & take some video of her later tonight and post it so you all can see how much she can move around. Again, thank you all so much, we will keep you all updated!!

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/07/08 08:05 PM

Sending good thoughts to you all hug2
Thanks again Val and Suz
Posted By: BCChins

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/07/08 09:07 PM

I am sorry Lola is injured and we will be keeping her and your family in our thoughts. Please give her a mealie from her friends here and keep us posted on how she does.
Your in good hands with Val and Suz.

hug2

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/07/08 09:09 PM

hug2 Lola is in my thoughts and prayers hug2 .
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/07/08 09:13 PM

hug2 I'm so sorry to hear about Lola.
It's possible that when she fell or if the cat had gotten ahold of her that she has an injured spinal cord.
I'm praying that she will recover. Your in great hands with Suz and Val......Many prayers and blessings being sent out to Lola.
hug2
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/07/08 09:39 PM

Please, keep us updated!!!

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/07/08 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Suggieluvin
I just got off the phone with val and suz! I now have my game plan!

Wonderful news! You are in great hands!!

There is no one that I know of better to help you with this particular kind of emergency.

Just please *do NOT* let your vet - or anyone else - give up on that sweetie, Lola! Her injuries, while serious, sound so much milder than what poor Jackie Chan has gone through! So- just hold his success in your thoughts when you get discouraged!
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/08/08 12:13 AM

You have two of the best working with you, Val and Suz.

I do want to add...metacam shouldn't be given for more than three days. It can damage the liver and cause even more problems for her. It is a anti inflamitory though and will help with swelling and does have it's purposes but not for long term.

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/08/08 12:21 AM

This may be way off base, but has anyone considered HLP syndrome? A calcium deficiency. Since the vet didn't see any injuries, is this a possibility? dunno Especially since she has joeys? Just a thought Keeping you and and your little ones in my prayers hug2

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/08/08 04:35 AM

My little Lola has traveled over the rainbow bridge
She seemed to have gotten dehydrated tonight, so I took her back to the emergency vet for some fluids about 11:20 PM and she passed in my hands, against my chest, a few min after we got home.
May you rest in peace my sweet baby
Thank you all so much for all the help

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/08/08 04:42 AM

Im so sorry you are going through this... I will be thinking of you and sending lots of good thoughts your way! Keep us updated on those babies. How are they? Hows the daddy?

hug2 hug2

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/08/08 05:10 AM

So very sorry. Reading that brought tears to my eyes. A couple of months ago, my dear cat passed. The night before he passed I was holding him and he for the first time ever, literally put his arms around my neck and slept. The next morning he passed as I was holding and soothing him. I can relate to your pain.
Posted By: glidergrl1513

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/08/08 05:44 AM

cry I'm so sorry for your loss! You're such a great glider owner, and she loves you for that. hug2

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/08/08 06:28 AM

I'm so very sorry.

How are the joeys? How are you?

I am so sad for your loss.
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/08/08 06:31 AM

hug2 I'm sorry for your loss. God speed sweet little one. gangel
Posted By: jannee66

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/08/08 06:40 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss hug2
Posted By: Cora

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/08/08 08:03 AM

I am so very sorry. (((((Hugs))))
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/08/08 12:09 PM

I am so very sorry. God bless and Godspeed little one....
Posted By: Feather

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/08/08 01:23 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope all goes well for her mate and joey.

Deepest Sympathy,

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/08/08 05:49 PM

Awww I'm sooo sorry! That happend to our lab once. He has seizers (not sure how to spell)and one was real bad and he slipped a disc in his back. so he couldnt walk using his back legs. cry But thankfully the vet and us didnt give up and they gave him a shot of steroids or something like that and a few days later he was better.
I would be devistated if he had died. Or if that happened to my suggies.
I'm so sorry this happend to you.

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/08/08 08:35 PM

I know I spoke with you on the phone just awhile ago, but I'd still like to post and say again that I'm so sorry for your loss, and it was heartbreaking to read this. frown I just recently lost my bunny of 6-7 years, and I've lost beloved pets in the past and know how hard it is. I'm glad to hear that the daddy and babies are still doing alright, and I'll say a prayer for you that they continue to do so. Once again I'm so sorry, but just remember Lola is in a place now where she can be in peace and isn't in pain. *hugs*
Posted By: Karin

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/09/08 03:27 AM

((((((hugs))))) I am so sorry.

Karin

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/09/08 03:23 PM

I cannot even imagine what you're going through. Hugs to you and suggies frown
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/09/08 07:03 PM

I'm so very sorry she didn't make it after all cry
Please don't hesitate to call me again if you have questions about raising her joeys hug2 hug2 hug2

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/10/08 02:04 AM

Well I'm having a necropsy done on Lola, so we can hopefully find out what was wrong with her. I think I'm also going to have her cremated (? spelling), I have found an urn that I like the best so far. I really don't like the traditional urns, I like something that you can't always tell what it is. I have been searching for something on the internet with sugar gliders on it, but of course not luck so far. But I did find this one that I think is really cute, its kinda a jungle theme.....tell me what you think

http://www.perfectmemorials.com/tropical-animals-urn-monkeys-frogs-exotic-animals-p-2802.html

If anyone knows of anywhere else I could get a really unique ( and tiny) urm, please let me know.
Thank you for all the support!
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/10/08 12:00 PM

I'm pretty sure that Peggy/srlb used to make wooden Sugar Glider Urns... Her website is Critter Love - if you don't see any listed there, send her a PM to ask if she can custom-make one for you dunno
Posted By: kthiessen

Re: Medical Advise/Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!! - 06/12/08 11:00 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. hug2
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL