GliderCENTRAL

Fractured femur

Posted By: tbull

Fractured femur - 05/11/11 11:42 PM

One of my joeys who was adopted several months ago was attacked by a dog the mom is babysitting. The vet said that his femur is broken and there is no way to immobilize it. They are putting him in a small cage with no toys to try to keep his movements to a minumum. I gave her Val's number, but has anyone else had anything like this?
They said that if the bone comes thru the skin they will amputate, but they are hoping not to have to.
The little guy is being good and not messing with his leg, but mom is worried about the cage set up and him and his wife being separated for a month.
If he does need the leg removed, would an e-jacket help? A short cage with lots of ramps?
Any ideas would be very appreciated. Mom feels horrible, she forgot to put the lock on the cage and he got out, that's how the dog got him. His wife stayed in the cage.
Posted By: DCMuffin

Re: Fractured femur - 05/11/11 11:45 PM

Oh my gosh, how horrible! I do hope she contacts Val! I can't help on the rest but please keep us updated!
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: Fractured femur - 05/12/11 12:19 AM

I agree. Contacting Val is her best option. Poor baby!
Posted By: victoriarose1982

Re: Fractured femur - 05/12/11 12:31 AM

I hope she contacts Val as well. I have been there but I had a loner glider (Zoey) she had a broken femur and we had to make her cage into several layers so that she would not jump we also needed her cage ranch house style instead of condo style. She is all better now. She got better with in 2-3 months of living that way. frown

Re: Fractured femur - 05/12/11 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By: victoriarose1982
I hope she contacts Val as well. I have been there but I had a loner glider (Zoey) she had a broken femur and we had to make her cage into several layers so that she would not jump we also needed her cage ranch house style instead of condo style. She is all better now. She got better with in 2-3 months of living that way. frown

mlove Hope, some hope, that's what we're looking for. THANK YOU.

Re: Fractured femur - 05/12/11 01:20 AM

mlove Val to the rescue! Kerri spoke to Val and feels so much better. She is going to get a smooth sided container to put him in with just a fleece blanket on the bottome and no toys, so he can not climb. He has to stay in it for at least 4 weeks, but Val said he should be fine and to NOT let them amputate his leg.

Thank you all for your caring and concern. I'll update as things progress.
hug2
Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom

Re: Fractured femur - 05/12/11 01:34 AM

Even if the bone pokes through the skin, it is not necessary to amputate. Just FYI.

For future reference:
http://thesweetspot.forumotion.net/t6-broken-leg-after-care-and-rehabilitation-instructions

Re: Fractured femur - 05/12/11 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom
Even if the bone pokes through the skin, it is not necessary to amputate. Just FYI.

For future reference:
http://thesweetspot.forumotion.net/t6-broken-leg-after-care-and-rehabilitation-instructions

OMG, I have that saved and didn't even think to go to it. Brain totally shuts down with one of my babies is hurting.

Thanks again Val. LOVE you woman!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Fractured femur - 05/12/11 07:02 AM

A THOUGHT:

Can that vet wrap be wrapped around the leg to help prevent the bone from moving around a lot? Then just change it at least once daily. Kinda of like a soft cast.
Posted By: glidrz5

Re: Fractured femur - 05/12/11 07:59 AM

I know that Dr Bradley has pinned a gliders broken leg before, so if necessary their vet could contact her for info on it.
Posted By: Bozeman

Re: Fractured femur - 05/12/11 10:22 AM

Poor little one. My heart truly breaks when I read stories like this. And the thing is, it can happen to ANY ONE of us!
Posted By: sphynxie

Re: Fractured femur - 05/13/11 03:48 AM

Any update, how is this baby doing?

Re: Fractured femur - 05/13/11 03:57 AM

He is doing better than his mom. She feels bad that he is in such a small cage, but he needs bedrest. He is lying still and recouping. I think it's going to be much harder, once he starts to feel better.
Posted By: Gizmogirl

Re: Fractured femur - 05/13/11 05:31 AM

Keeping this little guy and his mommy in my prayers. hug2
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL