GliderCENTRAL

waiting for blood work

Posted By: kittybaran

waiting for blood work - 05/02/12 03:14 AM

Crab, one of my cancer survivers is not feeling well. She's not eating much and has a somewhat poor general impression. The vet started her on antibiotics yesterday. Didn't do anything else, her abdomen on palpation was normal, she not jauntice or looking anemic so I opted for no blood work in order to save a couple of hundred bucks. I took her back today for blood work, because I would have expected some change in her eating behavior and general impression and there wasn't . Now I have to wait 2 to 3 days for blood work......and I don't want to! Ahhhh! I think the cancer is back!
I don't want to put her through surgery again, so I was going to discuss with the vet if we can just do the chemo. Maybe something a little more potent since she's not going to surgery. That is if it is cancer. I'm really nervous for her.
Posted By: Feather

Re: waiting for blood work - 05/02/12 03:35 AM

Sending you prayers and good thoughts.

Re: waiting for blood work - 05/02/12 12:41 PM

Crab ate on her own this morning. I was elated. I still syringe fed her some Ensure, because she didn't eat a lot, but she ate! I hope this is a good sign that perhaps its not the cancer. I think I'm going to call the vet and have him contact the oncologist about treating with chemo only. I have 4 cancer survivors and I don't think I would take any of them to surgery for the cancer a second time and the possibility of one of the 4 having a re-occurence is a possibility. To have a treatment plan would give me some peace of mind. Crab is 2 years post cancer surgery and a little over one year off chemo.
Posted By: mmatt

Re: waiting for blood work - 05/02/12 01:28 PM

Poor Crab, sending good thoughts!
Posted By: Meg_n_Von

Re: waiting for blood work - 05/02/12 11:08 PM

Good thoughts on the way! hug2

Re: waiting for blood work - 05/03/12 02:58 AM

Yeaaaa! Crab wolfed down her food this evening and is running on her wheel. I hope the blood work comes back good. smile
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: waiting for blood work - 05/03/12 04:19 AM

clap Keeping all crossables crossed! hug2
Posted By: lilangels

Re: waiting for blood work - 05/03/12 03:31 PM

I have never heard of a glider having chemo before. How did crab handle the chemo. Did it make her really sick like it does with humans? How long did she have to have the chemo treatments for? How costly was the chemo? Sorry for all the questions. We just lost our little Lucky to cancer. Once we discovered it it was way too late to save her. Within 3 weeks it was in her brain already. I really didn't know that chemo was even an option for a glider then.
I will keep your crab in my prayers and hope for the very best for her.

Re: waiting for blood work - 05/03/12 04:30 PM

I had 5 gliders on Chemo (Cyclophosphamide) oral. No one had side affects of any kind. They hated being given the Milk Thistle more than the chemo. They were on chemo for around 1 year. Nobody knew how long to keep them on it and I got tired of dishing out all the meds so I stopped it. I constantly question if I should have. I just have so many other animals on meds as well. Only one glider has died so far after the round of chemo. His cancer began in the same place as the others, but had affected another system as well. They all went to surgery to remove removable tumors prior to chemo. I think I was paying $25 -$ 30 for a 3 month supply.

Re: waiting for blood work - 05/04/12 07:10 PM

Crab's blood work showed high bile acids and liver values and white cell count. frown
Now it is possible that she has a liver infection, and the vet thinks it might be just that because she has reponded well to the antibiotics. He's not the one who delt with the majority of the cancer gliders though, so I'm going to get an opinion from him. I'm going to take her in for an ultra sound to look for tumors which is what the vet suggested, but if the changes are diffuse they probably will not be seen. I'll still not be sure that the cancer isn't back. A biopsy would show, but that means surgery and if she already under and open and she has cancer than I might as well take her through surgery. Surgery was what I was trying to avoid. I want to try chemo alone.
Posted By: Dreamsuggies

Re: waiting for blood work - 05/04/12 07:17 PM

Oh gosh my prayers are with you and Crab's. I hope you get a break through on her medical issues and everything turns out ok. hug*

Re: waiting for blood work - 05/07/12 02:23 PM

Crab is having her ultrasound today. I feel bad doing this to her because she feels better, eating, running on her wheel, her fur looks good and now she's going to have her belly shaved. But, I need to take the next step. If no tumors are present than I'll have to take her back after a month of antibiotics to repeat blood work to see if the levels are normal which would mean it was just a liver infection and not a return of the cancer. I pray that this is the case for my soon to be naked belly glider. I just bought her a friend because she is lonley by herself, but the baby boy has been to agressive to introduce them yet. Poor Crab I really hope she will be OK.

Re: waiting for blood work - 05/07/12 07:03 PM

Crab had her ultra sound and they didn't have to shave her belly like they did Cisco's. Her ultra sound showed some diffuse shadowing and her gall bladder looked abit enlarged, but there were no visible tumors. In 3-4 weeks I'll take her back for more blood work to see if her bile acids and liver enzymes are down. In the mean time I'm taking one of the other cancer gliders in for blood work to see if they are having changes without notable symptoms. Hopefully not.

Crabs cancer is back. - 06/02/12 04:33 AM

didn't bother with blood work for the recheck. I was gone a week working up on the reservation and when I got back Crab was due for blood work to recheck her enzymes, but she was jauntice. The cancer is back. Crab is now on Cyclophosphomide once a day, Milk Thistle twice a day, Prednisolone twice a day (short term and decreasing over time) Amoxcillian twice a day, Sub Q fluids once a day, B12 injections once a day, and Lasix as needed and I have morphine on stand by. I opted not to put her through surgery again and wanted to try just drugs.
She's hanging in there with all the meds and actually ran on the wheel for a bit. Please pray for Crab.

Re: waiting for blood work - 06/02/12 04:42 AM

I am so, so sorry to hear that! frown I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers... hug2
Posted By: Lunalove

Re: waiting for blood work - 06/02/12 06:38 AM

Gosh I am so sorry... frown . Prayers to you and Crab. Love is the best medicine...lots of love and positive vibes sent her way!

:bb: Luna
:grey: Phoebe
:rtmo: Drake(coming home in July!!!)
Posted By: Feather

Re: waiting for blood work - 06/02/12 12:35 PM

I am sorry that Crab when out of remission. Sending out prayers and good thoughts to you and Crabs.

Re: waiting for blood work - 06/02/12 01:01 PM

Crab ate all her food last night! She looks less jaundice as well. It appears that all the meds she is taking (7) are working. Its only been two days on the meds and there is a difference!

Re: waiting for blood work - 06/02/12 01:02 PM

Crab ate all her food last night! She looks less jaundice as well. It appears that all the meds she is taking (7) are working. Its only been two days on the meds and there is a difference!

Re: waiting for blood work - 06/02/12 08:25 PM

That's great to hear! Hopefully they will continue to work!

Re: waiting for blood work - 06/03/12 08:29 PM

Crab continues to improve. Hopefully I've caught the cancer in time and the chemo will stop it in its tracks. smile
Posted By: GliderNursery

Re: waiting for blood work - 06/03/12 08:32 PM

Keeping my fingers crossed for him!

Re: waiting for blood work - 06/04/12 04:25 AM

That would be a blessing!
Posted By: hwh4ev

Re: waiting for blood work - 06/04/12 04:16 PM

poor baby. will pray the meds help and keep him out of pain.

take care,
nancy in detroit
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL