GliderCENTRAL

Teeth trimming?

Posted By: Anonymous

Teeth trimming? - 05/02/07 12:01 PM

I've read and heard about nail trimming, but teeth trimming? Do they actually need it? I read about giving dog biscuit on one site and I was actually surprised to see that it was listed on the things you should always keep in the cage, for teeth trimming.

Any opinions?

Re: Teeth trimming? - 05/02/07 12:10 PM

Gliders are not rodents and should never have their teeth trimmed.
I am so glad you have come here to ask questions and are not simply going by things you are reading.

Re: Teeth trimming? - 05/02/07 12:19 PM

I have heard that some people use dog biscuits as treats, but not for teeth trimming. I keep dry food and monkey biscuits in my glider cages during the day, but that is part of their diet. If it is not part of the diet you are feeding, I wouldn't use dog biscuits. Especially with all the recalls here lately
Posted By: melek007

Re: Teeth trimming? - 05/02/07 12:24 PM

Teeth trimming should NEVER be done. Their teeth are comparable to ours in that they stop growing. When done, it is painful and the teeth will not grow back!
Posted By: Mel2mdl

Re: Teeth trimming? - 05/02/07 12:31 PM

Gliders teeth do not continue to grow. They are not rodents. They do not need their teeth "floated" or trimmed, nor do they need to chew to wear them down. Imagine someone drilling your teeth with no novicane. grin Not a pleasant thought. Kudos to you for checking!
Posted By: glidrz5

Re: Teeth trimming? - 05/02/07 02:02 PM

Please NEVER have your gliders teeth trimmed (floated). As was previously said, they do not continue to grow & are as long as they ever will be. If you would trim their teeth, your glider will have difficulty eating & holding food. Trust me on this one. I've got a glider who has no front incisors (due to peridontal problems rather than floating) & Nicky had alot of trouble biting food or even holding it in his mouth when his teeth hurt. He would continually drop the food he was trying to eat. Now that they are removed he has learned to adjust but it is very hard to watch them go through something like that.

Re: Teeth trimming? - 05/03/07 11:20 AM

Okay, thanks for your replies laugh
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL