GliderCENTRAL

Choking and what to do?

Posted By: Anonymous

Choking and what to do? - 03/20/08 04:07 AM

not sure if this was in a sticky or post, but just a bit ago i was givin a mealie to Mr. and he gobbled it up so fast he started choking. He kept opening his mouth real wide and sticking his tongue out. my heart was in my throat and i got that cold feeling. THANK GOD he handled it himself and was ok after what seemed like forever but was really 5 or 6 seconds.

inthe vent that a glider is choking, what can be done? should i rub his throat or something to stimulate it or move it?
Posted By: GliderLove

Re: Choking and what to do? - 03/20/08 04:25 AM

Actually this has happened a few times in last few months that I can remember. I bet that was scary to see!! I would have been flipping out as well. Besides pulling it out if visable, I am not sure if there is anything you can do? I am CPR certified..but I would have no clue what to do in that situation...very scary!
Posted By: Jackie_Chans_Mom

Re: Choking and what to do? - 03/20/08 04:30 AM

When this happened with my Boomer, I was able to reach in and pull the mealie out with tweezers. He absolutely was not going to be able to get it out himself. His nose was very dark and he was unable to breathe at all.

Beyond that, I don't know what I would do, but I know I would try every trick I had ever heard of.

I know how terrifying this can be. Sorry it happened to you!

Re: Choking and what to do? - 03/20/08 04:30 AM

it was the same reaction i would have if a friend was choking, only i was helpless. it shook me up. i could only watch and hope. i am also cpr certed. but yeah what can you do for a little fuzzy, mouth to mouth? lol!

Re: Choking and what to do? - 03/20/08 05:11 PM

That sounds pretty scary! I would be a reck if that happened to me. Now I will have a pair of tweezers in my emergency kit too!

Re: Choking and what to do? - 03/20/08 05:17 PM

Yikes! I never even THOUGHT about them choking on FOOD shakehead I'm always concerned with toys, but not food! Oh... thanks! Now I have one more suggie nightmare!

Re: Choking and what to do? - 03/20/08 05:20 PM

Get tweezers!

CHECK!!

smile

I have to get an Emergency Kit, though. Yipes!
Posted By: Xfilefan

Re: Choking and what to do? - 03/20/08 06:00 PM

When that happened to ours (and her nose started turning blue) we used a sort of CPR...GENTLE chest compressions from the sides (you need to be careful NOT to break ribs or puncture a lung)...and shaking her upside down at the same time. Hers was so lodged in she couldn't get it out and was suffocating. By 'compressions' I really mean squeezing-they're so small it's all that applies. crazy I've heard some can pull out the offending object, IF they can see it (with Troi we couldn't), but this will work if it's lodged farther down, and you can't see what you're grabbing or what's lodged. Hers was also a mealie.

Re: Choking and what to do? - 03/21/08 11:19 AM

thats good to know xfilefan.

yeah it was my worst nightmare for 5 seconds. i do have tweezers always ready though. he needs to calm down with the greedyness haha.

Re: Choking and what to do? - 03/21/08 08:22 PM

Just to add to what Jen said about shaking upside down...

With rats, if you can't dislodge the item yourself some go ahead and wrap the animal in a towel then do a swift downward motion. Sort've like what they do to remove fluid from the lungs of puppies. I suppose it could be tried with suggies too in extreme cases. dunno
Posted By: pappy1264

Re: Choking and what to do? - 03/21/08 10:54 PM

This has happened twice with Timmy (it was a waxie). First time, he actually put his own foot into his mouth and pulled it out with a nail. Second time, I had to use the tweezers, which was scary. His nose turned blue! I now chop waxies into pieces so they aren't big enough to lodge in there. Never had it happen with mealies. But definitely very scary!!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL