GliderCENTRAL

exercise

Posted By: JillMarie

exercise - 01/20/09 08:19 AM

has anyone ever researched the effects of lack of proper exercise and Hind Leg Paralysis? I know we use exercise wheels and such but that may be a bit different than they get in the wild jumping from tree to tree. the impact of their landings would help improve bone density just like "pounding" exercise in humans. anyone have an opinion or info to share?...but of course...
Posted By: Gossamer

Re: exercise - 01/20/09 11:12 AM

HLP is caused by a lack of calcium - it's in the bone. Exercise will help keep muscle in shape. I think pounding exercises in humans is actually bad for your bones.

Re: exercise - 01/20/09 07:21 PM

I understand lack of calcium can cause HLP, was just wondering if anyone knew of any research being done on exercise or lack thereof and its effects. When I say "pounding" I do not mean like a hammer and nail pounding, but just impact...it does effect bone density in humans.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: exercise - 01/20/09 07:28 PM

I see what you are saying, I don't think it is 'pounding' exercise, but weight bearing exercise helps strengthen bones in humans. It would seem to follow that the more sedentary gliders would be at higher risk for bone related problems (as they age) just like sedentary people are because of lack of weight bearing exercise. Nothing is cut and dry, bone health has not just to do with how much calcium, but how much of other nutrients, that help or inhibit calcium absorption, along with how the body is treated otherwise.

Just as HLP in gliders is not *just* caused by lack of calcium, but there can be many contributing factors, even if the glider is on a good diet. The glider may utilize nutrients differently than other gliders and therefore need more (or less) or there may be a parasite/bacterial infection that is causing absorption issues, or something else in the system that causes leaching of the calcium from the bones. (Gives you a headache)

That is why whenever a glider starts dragging it's back legs the answer is NOT to give it more calcium, but to get to the bottom of what caused the issue to begin with (as dragging the back legs can also come from too much calcium in the diet!!!) and work to solve the problem from the root.

Re: exercise - 01/21/09 08:16 PM

Thank you Gretchen! I actually do the tent bonding thing and as my adults get "closer" to me (I bought them as adults) I plan on giving them play time out of the tent and will encourage lots of jumping around. we are actually considering converting a sun porch to a glider room complete with trees native to australia! I also have two babies who only try small jumps for now and they all love the exercise wheels and those clear "run about" balls. My one mommy actually chases the cat in it hahahaha! thanks again!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: exercise - 01/21/09 08:18 PM

My doctor has told me that anything that puts pressure on your bones - but does not break them - will improve your bone density. What it does for your joints is a different story though.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: exercise - 01/21/09 08:25 PM

I have a screened in porch that I take my kids out to play on. I don't have native trees, but do take trees out and a pvc frame out for them to run and jump on. It is fantastic to watch. Be aware, that at least in Missouri (high humidity), things left out on the porch do mold and the gliders come in contact with that stuff when climbing. worried I found that out the first year and had to pitch all of my trees and scrub everything cleanable REALLY well. Now I take things in and out with me.
Posted By: LSardou

Re: exercise - 01/21/09 11:22 PM

Bone density in small animals minimal compared to that of larger animals and humans.
The sugar gliders ability to 'launch' and land from full body weight is due to the 'spring/sponge' marrow contained in their joints.
Lack of use can cause them to become arthritic just as in humans and larger animals. Calcium deposits can form in the joints which would cause stiffening. There is also another problem with over usage which would deplete the levels of calcium in the bones which would lead to (osteogenisimperfecta) Brittle Bone Disease.
So excessive use (which would apply more to highly nervous) gliders in addition to the lack of proper diet can lead to bone or joint problems.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL