GliderCENTRAL

Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo

Posted By: ozzi

Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 06:20 PM

I took Boo-Boo to the vet yesterday. He has had a "Fat Pad" that has somewhat solidified. He has gone from 187 in like Oct of last year to the 150's. He looks so much older now than 1/2 a year ago, especially if I put him next to BJ who is only a year younger. He acts fine, does not eat as much, and seems to be in no pain.
The vet is supposed to remove the mass and have it tested next Monday.
My question's are-
The Vet is concerned how Boo will handle the anesthesia at his age. Anyone have any experience there?
Should I risk the surgery? If it is cancer what are his odds with or with out it, given his age?
What else should I be aware of?
Sorry, I am just kind of numb right now...
angel
Pat, Boo-Boo, and BJ wave
Posted By: vagraphix

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 06:23 PM

I'm so sorry you and the boys are going through this
Posted By: MissSarah

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 06:24 PM

I dont have any experience to offer, but just wanted to let you know id keep him in my thoughts. smile Hope all goes well.
Posted By: Feather

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 07:58 PM

Oh poor Boo-Boo. Good thoughts and prayers coming your way Pat. Keep us posted!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 08:15 PM

Pat, I am sending lots of prayers and good thoughts your way, for both you and BooBoo (and BJ, too!)!

Pat, I sent you an email.

Jen

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 08:16 PM

Poor Boo Boo. Hugs to you and the boys. Keep us posted
Posted By: chattrbabe

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 08:20 PM

Awh Pat! That makes me sad! I'll keep him in my thoughts! hug2

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 08:27 PM

sorry about the troubles pat!!!
Posted By: CharmedSuggies

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 08:28 PM

Those are excellent questions Pat and I really hope someone with any experience in something like this will pop in soon to help.

You know you and the boys are in my thoughts and prayers. Should you decide to go through with the surgery, I will pray for a successsful outcome and speedy recovery for Boo.

Give the boys my love and kisses angel mlove and a hug2 for you
Posted By: saturngirl

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 08:36 PM

Oh Pat I'm so sorry to hear about Boo Boo. I wish I had advice for you. You and the boys are in my thoughts and prayers. hug2
Posted By: Janie

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 08:45 PM

You and Boo-Boo are in my prayers.
Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 08:57 PM

Pat, you and your darling boys are in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated.

HUGS
Posted By: Usha77

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 09:03 PM

hug2 hug2 Pat, you and Boo-Boo and BJ will be in my thoughts and prayers!
Posted By: oakley

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 09:07 PM

Boo-Boo is in my thoughts!

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 09:14 PM

Hopefully, the experienced members will chime in with their thoughts on the surgery and possible cancer survival rates.

I wish him a speedy recovery and that he remains pain free. ((HUGS))
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 09:21 PM

I'm so sorry that you and Boo-Boo are going through this. My prayers are with you and your boys hug2
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 09:22 PM

My whole family will be praying for all 3 of you!

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 09:29 PM

Pat, I let my mom know and she will keep you guys in her prayers, as well. hug2
Posted By: josefine

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 09:34 PM

i would give almost anything to be close to you rite now.
you were a strong helper to me w/sissie.
& i have so enjoyed reading thru all of your knowledge, & seeing the pic's & vid's have been wonderful!!!!!
i know nothing when it comes to gliders as you do,but i do want to let you know that you will be in my fore front of thoughts until this is all over w/& he is home & well,& happy as befor!!!!!!!!!!!
josefine

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 09:39 PM

Thanks everyone. I have sent some PM's out to people recommended to me that would have experience with something like this and I am waiting to hear back.
thanks
Pat

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 09:46 PM

Please keep us posted Pat...
Your boys are just the cutest ever!
I am thinking of you guys!

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 10:03 PM

Prayers are coming your way for Boo-Boo - let's hope Suz gets on and gives you some advise -

How old is Boo-Boo - I didn't see his age mentioned anywhere - and has your Vet been taking care of your kids for long -

We're all guessing and it might not be cancer and then the Vet can get in and out fast - Please think positive -

Sue
owned by &
mom to
Posted By: Cora

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 10:34 PM

My prayers are with you guys. I can only share my experiences and would be happy to do so. ((((HUGS))))

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Cora
My prayers are with you guys. I can only share my experiences and would be happy to do so. ((((HUGS))))

Please do. That is what I am looking for and it may be of help to others too.

Boo will be 9 next Thursday.
This is one of several vets I have used, one I feel comfortable with.
Thanks everyone :O)
Pat, Boo-Boo, and BJ angel
Posted By: flutterbye

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 11:11 PM

hoping that you heard from someone that had some insight. You are all in our prayers.....
Posted By: sketchyglider

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 11:13 PM

Oh pat i am soo sorry to here about Boo-Boo i hope everything goes well! thoughts and prayers are with youand your suggie family! hug2

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 11:15 PM

Oh Pat, you must be a wreck! I will sure be keeping you and Boo Boo are in my thoughts (And of course Boo Jr.) hug2 hug2 hug2
Posted By: the gliders angel

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 11:36 PM

if it were me. i would first make sure its not an abdominal surgery because the blood loss will kill him. so as long as its not and your vet is experienced with isoflurin gas the only one to use as its safest. it would be worth traveling to a very experienced glider vet like dr tristan or dr bradley.

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By: the gliders angel
if it were me. i would first make sure its not an abdominal surgery because the blood loss will kill him. so as long as its not and your vet is experienced with isoflurin gas the only one to use as its safest. it would be worth traveling to a very experienced glider vet like dr tristan or dr bradley.

She has she will be using Sevoflurane if I read it right.
The paper says Sevoflurane Adjustment, and then Anestesia Inhalent right underneath that on the estimate?
I will get a new picture of the mass and it's location tonight and post it.
Thank you.....Pat

While the estimate says Sevoflurane I am pretty sure she said isoflurane when she was in the room with me. I will confirm this tomorrow

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/16/09 11:56 PM

i hadn't thought of that. this may be something you should check into,pat.doesn't dr bradley live in ks,& that isn't too awfully far from you,is it?
please let us know what you think on this. even if your vet is a good one,if he doesn't really know this procedure very well,it would be great for him & you to be talking to either vet.
my vet,before sissie died,did confer w/tristan quite abit.
once she had died,though,he would no longer see gliders,no matter how much i pleaded w/him to continue on w/helping me w/cosmos. but he was firm,a no ment no. the only thing i could have come up w/on this was that evidently he wasn't as knowledgeable as we thought,& he didn't want anymore babies to die under his care.
josefine
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 12:06 AM

Pat, I am so very sorry to see this. I don't know what to say, sending massive HUGS and prayers for Boo Boo. I must confess I am concerned about the "diagnosis". I don't know what can be treated as far as cancers in glides if anything. I pray he makes it fine and nothing serious is found. (((((HUGS)))))
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 12:12 AM

Pat, sending many, many prayers for you and Boo-Boo!!!! Please update us as soon as you find out anything! hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2 hug2
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 12:19 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with Boo-Boo! I feel that whatever the diagnosis will be you will find it in your heart to make the right choices for him.
I pray that it's just a fatty tumor that's become cystic, which would not pose a serious problem. My concern would be the anesthesia, before deciding, I would suggest to have your vet consult with another glider knowledgeable vet to discuss the proper sedative dosages. hug2
Posted By: gliderma

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 12:32 AM

Pat I am so sorry to here this. I do not know what to say! You and yours will be in my thoughts & prayers. Please keep us posted as things go along. Take care!

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 12:32 AM

Originally Posted By: LSardou

I pray that it's just a fatty tumor that's become cystic, which would not pose a serious problem.

I feel, especially by feeling the mass, that this is what has happened. Boo is doing well all in all. The weight loss is over a long period of time considering. He just dosen't eat as much as he used to but he eats well. Well see??? I just want to get all my ducks in a row.
Thank you Linda
angel
Posted By: DirtyPaws

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 12:37 AM

Oh Pat! This must be so hard for you! Just PLEASE, ask lots of questions. Let your vet know you're very worried for him to go through surgery. You're such a kind person, hopefully she'll see it as honest concern and not take it personally. Don't be afraid to ask how many similar surgeries she's done. Monday comes so soon!

hug2 Hugs and prayers and lots of love from the Martin house!
Posted By: sugarglidersuz

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: ozzi
I took Boo-Boo to the vet yesterday. He has had a "Fat Pad" that has somewhat solidified. He has gone from 187 in like Oct of last year to the 150's. He looks so much older now than 1/2 a year ago, especially if I put him next to BJ who is only a year younger. He acts fine, does not eat as much, and seems to be in no pain.
The vet is supposed to remove the mass and have it tested next Monday.
My question's are-
The Vet is concerned how Boo will handle the anesthesia at his age. Anyone have any experience there?
Should I risk the surgery? If it is cancer what are his odds with or with out it, given his age?
What else should I be aware of?
Sorry, I am just kind of numb right now...
angel
Pat, my Cricky had a tumor on his chest scent gland that had to be removed surgically when he was about 10 years old. He went through the surgery just fine. He did remove his stitches a couple of times though and an e-collar was necessary. Other than that, no problems with surgery or with recovery though. So Boo-Boo's age shouldn't be a terrible risk with him being just 9 now. Hope this helps to put your heart at ease. I'll be keeping both of you in my prayers hug2 hug2 hug2

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 12:42 AM

Lots of hugs and good thoughts to you and Boo Boo hug2

I know it's hard but try to relax and take care of yourself heart
Posted By: tbull

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 12:45 AM

Oh No! I just sent you an email. All our thoughts and prayers are with you and Boo-Boo. I'm sure he will be fine. He knows you need him too much. hug2 hug2
Posted By: theresaw

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 12:46 AM

Pat
The best of luck to you and Boo-Boo. Theresa

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 02:03 AM

thanks again everyone.
Here is a picture and a video of Boo tonight showing the lump on his thigh area.

Boo's Fat Pad 1

Boo's Fat Pad 2
The lump has been this size but looks bigger now because Boo lost all that weight in the last 6-8 months

angel
Pat

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 02:13 AM

Ohmygosh that video is absolutely precious heart

I hope you have been able to get some answers from people with experience and knowledge about this.

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 02:15 AM

Oh Pat! He loves you so much! I'm praying so hard for him to be ok!!!!

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 03:07 AM

hug2 He loves his daddy! that's for sure Pat! hug2 mlove
Posted By: reeny

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 03:22 AM

Pat I hope BooBoo does well and it turns out to be nothing. I always love seeing your pictures of Boo Boo and BJ. Keeping you in my thought and prayers.

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 05:57 AM

i would only use an experienced vet who is familiar with isoflurane nothing else. it is the safest i dont know of any other names.

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 06:11 AM

That's the only one my vet will use (isoflurane).

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 06:12 AM

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers! hug2

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 10:07 AM

Pat, it does look considerably larger than the last time you posted pictures of it, but with his weight loss, that may be the reason why...
At this point though, I believe that surgery is in all likelihood the best option for him.

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 11:51 AM

Since he posted, i've been dying for someone to answer his questions and help him out with his concerns. Thankyou Suz for jumping in. hug2

Pat, I hope Suz's experience also helps to put some of your worry at ease for now. Boo-Boo can't have his daddy get sick from too much stress hug2 Hopefully when you see the special gift for you and the boys, maybe it will help ease you some more. hug2
Posted By: LabNGliderMom

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 12:44 PM

Oh, Pat- I do hope he will be okay! LOTS of prayers being sent out for Boo-Boo...
Posted By: Srlb

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 01:17 PM

Prayers and well wishes heading your way Pat and Boo Boo.
Posted By: hwh4ev

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 01:20 PM

prayers coming your way for boo boo and you, pat.
that 2nd video of you and boo boo was so precious and
just shows all the love you and boo boo share, it
brought tears to my eyes, he looks so sweet.

take care and good luck,
nancy in detroit
Posted By: BCChins

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 01:27 PM

Pat we will be keeping Boo-Boo and you in our thoughts.

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 02:17 PM

Pat,
That video was so cute, he does love his daddy alot. We will keep boo-boo and you in our prayers. He is such a sweet and loving boy.
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 02:54 PM

Sending prayers your way :2 hug:

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 03:03 PM

OMG Pat! I love those guys! I hope Boo Boo is ok. My girls would never have known about milk rings had it not been for your two boys. My kids and I always look foward to seeing those two boys in videos. They truley love you and I'm sure Boo Boo will do fine in surgery. I will pray for him and give him a kiss from Lilo and Stitch!

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 05:02 PM

Aww poor boo boo frown

Hang in there guys
Posted By: Dalysugar

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 05:49 PM

Pat sending Hugs and Prayers to you and Boo-Boo!!! hug2 hug2

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 07:29 PM

most of us don't know what to tell you,as we haven't gone thru this. but,if more vets could get involved,i know it would help you & your vet out.
your pic was so precious,& the video of him kissing you is something very few of us can experience.
keep your chin up,we are ALL worried w/you,we have come to love you as one of the most caring,loving person.it is hard not to love you back!!!!!
boo boo & you ARE this forum,also. i would never be able to run out of words &/or feelings for you.
we will all be waiting for an update as you can send it,i know that sometimes we get so involved that we don't want to sit here,but i will be patient & wait.
talk @ ya L8R
josefine & larry

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 09:58 PM

I just put in a call to my vet to ask questions and give her what input and info I have received from all you wonderful people here. I hope to hear from her a little later as it is only 3pm here and she is seeing patients.
Thanks so much everybody for all the love, support, and prayers and well wishes for me and Boo-Boo.
angel
Posted By: Karin

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 10:29 PM

I wish this post didn't exist. frown Makes my heart hurt. upset

Pat, follow what your gut is telling you to do. When I listen to that little inner voice, it's usually the right/best answer.

If it helps ease your mind even a little bit, Vu had to go through anesthesia twice within a 2 week period and he did just fine. He was 7 at the time. Is it possible for the vet to do a needle biopsy first, instead of surgery?

Regardless, we are all here with you through this hug2 .

Karin

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 10:34 PM

Please keep us posted on all the news you get! You know we are all here for you to help celebrate the good times and get you thru the rough patches!

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/17/09 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Karin
I wish this post didn't exist. frown Makes my heart hurt.upset
Pat, follow what your gut is telling you to do. When I listen to that little inner voice, it's usually the right/best answer.
If it helps ease your mind even a little bit, Vu had to go through anesthesia twice within a 2 week period and he did just fine. He was 7 at the time. Is it possible for the vet to do a needle biopsy first, instead of surgery?
Regardless, we are all here with you through this hug2 .
Karin

Thanks Karin,
I just spoke with the vet and read her my list and the needle biopsy was one of the things. She did that back when It was a soft Fat Pad but now that has solidified somewhat she does not want a traumatized surgery site. I think the Boo man will do just fine. A big part of that is completely out of our hands anyway isn't it angel
I gave her another vet's number to consult with and she said she will do that probably Friday. I wish Boo wasn't going through any of this either but here we are. We have to do the best we can and keep praying angel
Thank you again....Pat

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/18/09 04:41 AM

I send hugs for you and little BJ and Mr. Boo boo. I do not know yall really but enjoy reading and looking at your cute videos. smile

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/19/09 04:00 PM

Pat let us know what you and the vet decides

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/20/09 12:27 AM

I took Boo for a second opinion today and I have canceled his surgery on Monday as I now explore my options. The DR. I took him to Aspirated the hard part of the lump and results looked good as far as the new DR was concerned. She said it would be up to me what I wanted to do but it was no emergency. I am going to step back a little and not rush things.
The next step will be either let the new DR do the surgery (and I know she is experienced and has seen the boys before) and run tests afterward or do a blood draw first and check Boo's Blood to see if there is anything going on.
Soooo....here I sit, but I am breathing.
Boo was such a mush mellow at the vet. She could not believe he just sat through the aspiration so calmly. He just wanted to go back to his blankie and his bed angel

Pat

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/20/09 12:31 AM

Yea! Boo Boo!

Good call on the second opinion Pat

Keep us posted

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/20/09 01:44 AM

Good for you Pat clap I truly believe in "sleeping on things" when you have the time to do so. And the second opinion was so smart.

Still sending prayers ~
Posted By: Karin

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/20/09 02:13 AM

clap dance clap hug2 Good boy Boo Boo!

Karin

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/20/09 02:15 AM

I want to play with the "mush mellow" lol

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/20/09 02:17 AM

at is good news that was good that you got another opinionl. its always the best thing to do. i am a strong believer in 2nd opinions. never rush into anything

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/20/09 02:25 AM

Awe, BooBoo your a good little patient. Glad you got the second opinion Pat.

Keep us posted.

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/20/09 02:26 AM

i'm so happy happy happy!!!!! was she able to get the stuff out of his leg,is that what she did?
i'm so glad that you can now breath. it is so hard to do that,when we are so wrapped up & worried about these little creatures. i had better news today,myself,so i am now breathing,too!!
talk @ ya L8R
josefine

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/20/09 02:53 AM

I'm so glad to hear this news!!!

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/20/09 02:53 AM

clap

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/20/09 02:54 AM

Originally Posted By: josefine
was she able to get the stuff out of his leg,is that what she did?

The DR just sticks a fine needle in to the lump in different areas and pulls out some of what ever it is and looks at it under a microscope. I wish they could just suck the whole thing out agree
I read about your good news too Josefine dance
I hope you are breathing easier too angel
Thank you everybody heart

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/20/09 03:00 AM

dance I'm so happy for you and Boo-Boo! I know the blood work will come out just fine. Thanks for the update. Like I said in my email, the Bs are community property now, we all love and worry about them like they are our own. mlove mlove mlove

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/20/09 02:35 PM

Pat I am glad you made the choice to get a second opinion. So many times we go with just one as we feel uneasy about going to another Dr. You can now think about things as you know more about what is going on.
Please give Boo Boo a spoon with some yogurt on it for me as I have seen someplace wink he loves that!

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/21/09 10:17 PM

grin I hope all goes well!!

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/21/09 11:02 PM

*praying for Mr. Boo-Boo!* Getting a 2nd opinion is always a good answer. smile Thinking on it is too. Good call. I hope everything turns out well for the cute little man.

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/22/09 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: ozzi
The DR. I took him to Aspirated the hard part of the lump and results looked good
Pat

Pat, any news yet?????

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/22/09 05:21 PM

I just got off the phone with the vets office and I won't get to talk to the vet till Wednesday. The DR wants to do a blood draw before doing the surgery. I am thinking this lump needs to be removed regardless and they could do a blood draw while he is under then. If the lump should come out anyway, and most opinions point to that, it would save Boo going under twice, and me $120 for the separate blood draw. Any opinions????
Thanks for asking thanks

Posted By: ValkyrieMome

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/22/09 05:25 PM

Pat - yes, it would save you money.

However - why would Boo have to go under twice?

Usually pre-surgery blood testing is done to make sure organs are functioning well, so that the animal can tolerate the anesthesia.

If they have to put him under for that - it defeats the purpose.

However, if they don't - sometimes dangerous side-effects of anesthesia can be avoided just because of that blood test.

Good luck ... Hugs for you both.

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/22/09 05:28 PM

I don't know much about this kind of stuff, but based on what you're saying it sounds like that's the right thing to do. If he needs to go under anyway, you might as well get it all done in one shot. Like you said, that way he won't have to go through it twice.. less stress on him (and you!!) I would think.

You guys are in my thoughts hug2

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/22/09 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: ValkyrieMome

However - why would Boo have to go under twice?
Usually pre-surgery blood testing is done to make sure organs are functioning well, so that the animal can tolerate the anesthesia.
If they have to put him under for that - it defeats the purpose.
However, if they don't - sometimes dangerous side-effects of anesthesia can be avoided just because of that blood test.

Good luck ... Hugs for you both.

The DR, said they would put Boo under for like 2 minutes for a blood draw. Yes, The DR said this would be a good test to see how he handles the anesthesia in general.

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/22/09 06:58 PM

My prayers are coming your way for Boo-Boo and you!!!
Posted By: Dancing

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/22/09 07:43 PM

Being put under for 2 minutes for a blood draw is a very very small amount of gas. The surgery could be half an hour or more under the anesthsia.

When Spryte broke her leg, she was under for 2 1/2 hours. A VERY VERY long time for such a small animal. I don't believe she fully recovered from it either. She always seemed a little "off" after.

The anesthsia "test" is really a very good idea.

When my vet neuters, the gliders are under anesthsia for less than 10 minutes. (closer to 5) so is considered short term and why it is fairly safe. Just thought that might put it in to prospective. I would ask how long does the vet think he will be under for the surgery. This may help you decide as well.

Keeping you and the boys in my thoughts.

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/22/09 08:17 PM

I don't know if this applies, but when our neutered male cat had a urinary tract blockage (very common in neutered males) they used a drug called ketamine. It put him in a trance like state, but not totally asleep. He was able to be treated without the anesthesia and had no memory of it. I guess it wouldn't really work, now that I think of it, for a surgical procedure but it seems extreme to put him under to get blood. I sure hope this all works out for the best of all of you!

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/22/09 08:53 PM

I know absolutely NOTHING about anesthesia for gliders but I remember when Beezer (Greyhound) had to be put under there was a special anesthesia the Vet used because Greyhounds can not handle anesthesia at all - maybe the Vet can use that anesthesia -??? Like I said - I know absolutely nothing about anesthesia -

Good luck Pat

All my prayers are going out to you and Boo-Boo

Sue
owned by &
mom to

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/22/09 09:24 PM

From what I have learned the 2 anesthesias used for gliders are Isoflurin, and Sevoflurane. One vet uses one, the other uses the other. Sevo is supposed to be very expensive. Which one is better I would get 10 different opinions on, including the vets. On the 1st estimate the vet estimated 30 minutes of anesthesia. I do not have w written estimate from the latest vet but will speak to her Wednesday.
Thank you all for all the prayers.

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/22/09 09:47 PM

My Pharmacy years long past shakehead however, in my opinion the Isoflurin would be the safest as far as I'm concerned. I read up on the Sevoflurane when it first came out on the market. Isoflurin has less cardiovascular effects. It also has been used for many years whereas Sevoflurane has been used for about 8 years (roughly).

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/22/09 10:05 PM

Thanks Linda,
The new vet tried Sevo for a while but there was no big difference to justify how expensive it is as opposed to Iso.

Pat

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/22/09 10:11 PM

Depending on the buffers, and of course since it is considered a 'trial', the cost would be higher.

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/23/09 06:56 PM

Isoflurin is the only one my vet uses. Peanut was under 3 times, twice for leg amputation and did very well. Badge has had gum surgery 4 times, I have had many boys neutered also. None of my gliders had any problems whatsoever with the Isoflurin and all woke up normal, no fighting, trying to SM or anything. Poss was the only one who woke up and literally jumped off of the operating table and took off running full speed! (It's funny now, lol)

Pat, you are doing the right thing no matter what you do. We only know so much about these precious little ones and are forced at times to go with our gut instinct when it comes to others' knowledge and our vets. I am so happy you decided not to have the original surgery, I had a bad feeling about it. Boo Boo will do well, look at who he has for HIS daddy!!!! smile

HUGS

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/23/09 07:00 PM

None of my gliders were given a blood draw to test for any anethesia. Peanut was too weak and needed antibiotics and sub-q for 2 days before the surgery. Dr. Williams took her home with her to do that before the surgery was done.

They all have done fine. smile
Posted By: kittybaran

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/23/09 07:12 PM

That is the anesthesia that is used on my gliders on a regular basis. They are around 6 and 7 years. Out of all the ones that have gone under only one had some problems and they were easily corrected if the problem is watched for. I originally discoverd the problem when he vomited after being neutered, I mean projectile vomiting. That particular vet did not think much of it, but checked him over just the same and he said he was OK. To make a long story short I ended up doing mounth to mouth/snout as I drove back to the vet. So now he is monitored by my new vet closely for a couple of hours when he goes under for blood work. I hope your glider does not have cancer. Mine do. There is chinese herbal meds used for cancer pt. And also my vet oncologist has found a chemo drug she believes will not be harmful to the gliders. My glider Geo went through major exploratoty surgery where they took out not only the mass, but a portion of his gall bladder and liver has well. It has been a month and he appears to be doing well. He is as the vet right now having blood work, and depending on the results we either stay with the herbs and other meds he is on or we add chemo to the mix. Don't give up they are amazingly strong animals and there are possible treatments. Take care and God be with you and your glider.

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/24/09 07:01 PM

Boo-Boo will be getting his blood work done tomorrow morning at 10:30.
I will let everyone know how it goes when we get back angel
Pat

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/24/09 07:24 PM

Boo-Boo is going to be alright ozzi! My thoughts and prayers will be with you both. hug2

Boo-Boo, you be a good boy for your daddy!!!! hug2
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/24/09 07:27 PM

Prayers by my family for your family.
Hugs hugs hugs

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/24/09 07:57 PM

Just remember to try to be relaxed so that he can be a good boy for this doctor too.

Still praying for you and the Boo Man. Tell BJ we all still love him too!

Thank you Pat for "sharing" your boys!
Posted By: USMom

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/24/09 07:59 PM

I've been thinking about Boo-Boo. I'm hoping it all comes back fine. Let us know.

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/24/09 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: kittybaran
I hope your glider does not have cancer. Mine do. There is chinese herbal meds used for cancer pt. And also my vet oncologist has found a chemo drug she believes will not be harmful to the gliders. My glider Geo went through major exploratoty surgery where they took out not only the mass, but a portion of his gall bladder and liver has well. It has been a month and he appears to be doing well. He is as the vet right now having blood work, and depending on the results we either stay with the herbs and other meds he is on or we add chemo to the mix. Don't give up they are amazingly strong animals and there are possible treatments. Take care and God be with you and your glider.

Kitty, please let us know who your vet is! Do you have another post about this? If not, would you mind making one? I am very interested about treatment your gliders are receiving for cancer! Any information is valuable for these precious little ones as we still have much to learn about them! Thank you in advance!!

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/24/09 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: SugarBlossoms
Originally Posted By: kittybaran
I hope your glider does not have cancer. Mine do. There is chinese herbal meds used for cancer pt. And also my vet oncologist has found a chemo drug she believes will not be harmful to the gliders. My glider Geo went through major exploratoty surgery where they took out not only the mass, but a portion of his gall bladder and liver has well. It has been a month and he appears to be doing well. He is as the vet right now having blood work, and depending on the results we either stay with the herbs and other meds he is on or we add chemo to the mix. Don't give up they are amazingly strong animals and there are possible treatments. Take care and God be with you and your glider.

Kitty, please let us know who your vet is! Do you have another post about this? If not, would you mind making one? I am very interested about treatment your gliders are receiving for cancer! Any information is valuable for these precious little ones as we still have much to learn about them! Thank you in advance!!
Kitty lives here in Phoenix too, so there's a bonus Pat!!!

hug2

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/24/09 09:53 PM

The Iso is what most vets use on Greyhounds - so I'd go with the Iso - it is less invasive -

Sue
owned by &
mom to

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/24/09 10:01 PM

I will wait to hear about Boo's blood work. Give him my love and kisses!

Re: Need help and prayers for Boo-Boo - 06/25/09 06:03 AM

Read Part 2

Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 06/25/09 06:04 AM

Read Part 1

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 06/25/09 02:14 PM

Somehow I missed this post. hug2 to you and boo boo. He will be in my thoughts and prayers!! heart
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 06/25/09 04:36 PM

VERY VERY positive thoughts for you & BooBoo....

St. Francis of Assisi, if you could grace Ozzi & Booboo with your presence....in your spare time of watching over Mojo....this soul would be most grateful.

Amen.

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 06/25/09 07:47 PM

We just got in from the Vet and they did a blood draw. Boo handled the anesthesia very well although his breathing was pretty slow going. The DR said usually when they are under for a neuter they breath a littler huffier. Unfortunately Boo did not give up much blood so she will work with what she has, maybe have to get more. While Boo was under and relaxed the DR was able to feel Boo's abdominal and liver ares. She felt that the liver is somewhat enlarged. Took x-rays. There appears to be little lumpy things in the intestinal area. The DR is going top consult with a DR at the University of Colorado for another opinion as to what might be going on. Have to wait on the blood work.
Boo was a charm and just hung out on the DR's chest :O)
So, nothing conclusive right now but the Boo man is home and just had some birthday mealies and is content to go back to bed. Poked, prodded, gassed on your birthday. That's no fun!!! hug2

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 06/25/09 07:55 PM

hug2 I was sure hoping for more encouraging news ozzi. I pray that whatever they saw is benign cysts. Hopefully they will have been able to get the right amount of blood to complete these tests.

Give BooBoo many many hugs and sweet kisses from all of us.

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 06/25/09 08:23 PM

Thanks Linda. I am sending out nothing but positive energy to Boo. I am not stressing, and I am keeping everything in perspective. angel
He is getting lots of love and prayers sent his way, I know that and appreciate it more than you all know. angel
wave
Pat
Posted By: SugareeErin

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 06/25/09 08:31 PM

hug2 Many prayers for Boo Boo! hug2

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 06/25/09 08:36 PM

I sure hope every thing goes okay for Boo-Boo - Ozzie try not to stress so Boo doesn't feel it - you know how animals get when they know their daddy is upset - My prayers are with you and Boo-Boo

Sue
owned by &
mom to

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 06/25/09 08:44 PM

good thoughts and prayers for Boo mlove

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 06/25/09 09:15 PM

All our thoughts are with you. The Boo man will be just fine. thumb

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 06/26/09 12:15 AM

You all have extra prayers coming your way from here in Florida!

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 06/26/09 01:16 AM

Aww what a lame birthday gift... I hope everythign goes well for him!

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 06/26/09 01:38 AM

Prayers going out all is fine. Please keep us posted Pat. Give the Boo man kisses.

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 06/26/09 02:49 PM

hug2 Thoughts and prayers for Boo Boo and a hug for you!! Hang in there!! hug2
Posted By: SariYappa

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 06/26/09 03:05 PM

OMG Pat! I am just getting caught up. Poor Boo!!!!! I've had birthdays like that too! tounge

You and Boo Boo and BJ are in my thoughts, and I have all my positive energy coming your way!! What a wonderful life your boys have, and I'm sure Boo knows it too hug2

Everything will happen the way it is supposed to. We are all here for you, as you can see!

I love your little boys!! Kisses & Mealies!! hug2
Love,
Sari, Sugar, Nibbles & Destiny

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 06/26/09 05:37 PM

Hugs for Boo hug2 keep us posted!

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 06/26/09 07:46 PM

Awe, Boo you tell daddy that isn't what you do to celebrate birthdays.

Good thoughts and prayers coming your way give Boo a kiss and hug for us.

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 06/26/09 08:10 PM

I can relate on celebrating a birthday in the hospital! A few yrs. back I was wating to have a very much needed hysterectomy only to find out I was diabetic and spent 3 days in ICU! My worst birthday ever, but I survived and am great now! Boo will do the same, I'm sure! You and yours are very much thought of & prayed for every day!

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 06/26/09 08:52 PM

hug2 Hugs for Boo Boo for his Boo-boo hug2

And a hug for Pat for being such a great glider dad! hug2
Posted By: Xfilefan

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 06/28/09 05:31 AM

Pat, give me a call on my cell tomorrow 435-640-9438...I have not had internet access in weeks, and am thinking you want to ask (per your PM) about abdominal surgery). Do not know when/if I'll be able to get online in the near future, either. Phone is the best way. It can depend on where, and how deep they are going. I can post pics of Chronos' surgery (he didn't survive-but it was to remove a gall bladder, and he had little/no usable liver left)....but that deep and the odds are very much against the glider. I'm still happy to talk, or refer to others I know have had operations at different levels on a glider. Give me a call, and know my thoughts/prayers are with you and your little Boo-Boo hug2
Posted By: sandbat

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 06/28/09 06:18 AM

I am sending out good thoughts and prayers as well. Hoping everything turns out well!
Posted By: KattyM

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 06/28/09 07:20 AM

Pat, I just found these threads. Super gigantic hug2 to you and Boo Boo and of course, BJ, who is patiently waiting for his buddy to return to normal.

Sending lots of love and positive thoughts and prayers up your way. You live in a healing environment and are surrounded up there by some powerful love and energy. I know, because I know some very special people who live up there. heart

Not long ago my vet used isoflurane to put Keiko under for a few minutes to pull fluids out. A couple of vets have suggested she has cancer and even with her pulse dose of meds, periodically just stops going to the bathroom and needs assistance. frown She is coming up on 7 years this fall. I was in the room and it was such an odd experience for me to see her seem so lifeless for awhile. But she immediately returned and is back to her sweet self with no ill effects and no hard feelings against me. angel

Let us know the day and time of Boo Boo's actual surgery, and we can send collective prayers during his procedure. hug2

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 06/28/09 06:14 PM

Thanks Kat and everyone else.
I got a message on my machine from the vet about Boo's blood work.
His liver enzymes are elevated at 105, protein a little low (no numbers), and he is not anemic.
That's all I know right now but I will be leaving a message with her about the other DR's she might want to confer with as recommended by people here angel
Time for Boo's mid morning smoochin', and a mealie or 2!
I will let everyone know more when I find out.
thanks

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 06/28/09 06:27 PM

I still have you and the boys in my thoughts Pat! I will be waiting to know what you find out.

Boo-Boo's X-Rays - 06/29/09 09:54 PM

I went to the vet today and took pictures of Boo-Boo's X-Rays from the other day. I am not a DR so I can't read them, other than what the Vet told me but I thought some people here might want to take a look at them.
Boo is snoozing happily with BJ hug2 sleep hug2 and seems like he is doing well.
It is interesting how the "Fat Pad" shows up. The last picture shows close up the little lumps in the intestinal area she is a little concerned about?
angel
Pat

X-Ray1

X-Ray2

X-Ray4

X-Ray3

X-Ray5

X-Ray6

X-Ray7

Re: Boo-Boo's X-Rays - 06/29/09 10:03 PM

That is so flippin cool Pat! THANK YOU for sharing those!!!!!

Re: Boo-Boo's X-Rays - 06/29/09 10:31 PM

Thanks for sharing Pat. wink
Posted By: SugaWhit

Re: Boo-Boo's X-Rays - 06/29/09 10:36 PM

I am not familar with *his story, why did you have the rays done?
Thank you for sharing! Those are so neat!

Re: Boo-Boo's X-Rays - 06/29/09 10:56 PM

Here's the story
http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/796248/1
Posted By: SugaWhit

Re: Boo-Boo's X-Rays - 06/29/09 11:31 PM

What a sweet baby! I loved your video!!
*huge hugs and prayers headed your way*

Re: Boo-Boo's X-Rays - 06/30/09 12:30 AM

Boo is even fluffy in Xrays! mlove
That is so cool Pat. I had Xrays of my bearded dragon that were similar, but also different in obvious ways! heart

I'm glad the boys are in peace together, hugs to them and you.

Re: Boo-Boo's X-Rays - 06/30/09 03:24 AM

WOW! So thats what they are like in the inside smile lol I hope everything turns out ok for this famous little man!

Re: Boo-Boo's X-Rays - 06/30/09 11:54 PM

Thanks for sharing! smile I am so glad the boys are snuggled together and doing well!! hug2

Re: Boo-Boo's X-Rays - 07/01/09 12:26 AM

Pat,
I do see the spots of concern in the intestines, but don't know what they might be. I will send an inquiry to my vet to see if she has an ideas...

Re: Boo-Boo's X-Rays - 07/01/09 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: sugarglidersuz
Pat,
I do see the spots of concern in the intestines, but don't know what they might be. I will send an inquiry to my vet to see if she has an ideas...

Thank you Suz angel

Re: Boo-Boo's X-Rays - 07/01/09 12:46 AM

Sorry I didn't get a chance to reply sooner Pat, I agree with Suz, there appears to be some areas of density in the intestinal wall. However, sometimes stool or gas can represent something too, although with the AP and Lateral Views the 'spots' do remain immobile.

The heart and lungs look clear with no apparent signs of abnormality. clap

Re: Boo-Boo's X-Rays - 07/01/09 01:11 AM

Glad to see that BooBoo made it through his xrays ok. What is your next plan of action now?

Stay tough BooBoo!

Re: Boo-Boo's X-Rays - 07/01/09 01:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Feather
Glad to see that BooBoo made it through his xrays ok. What is your next plan of action now?

Stay tough BooBoo!

I hope to talk to the vet tomorrow. I dropped off some phone numbers for her for consults that I have received from here angel
I will let you all know what is next.
thanks

Re: Boo-Boo's X-Rays - 07/01/09 10:20 AM

Pat,
I received a reply from my vet. I have forwarded it to you via e-mail. Hopefully her analysis will be helpful in diagnosing what is wrong with Boo-Boo so that your vet can come up with an action plan for treatment. hug2 hug2 hug2

Re: Boo-Boo's X-Rays - 07/01/09 11:23 AM

Pat I am praying for a swift recovery for Boo agree

Re: Boo-Boo's X-Rays - 07/01/09 01:03 PM

I hope they can figure a good plan out for Boo. He's still in my thoughts and prayers Pat! I'll keep looking out for updates and info on him as you go along. hug2

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/03/09 05:47 PM

Just an update on Boo-Boo. Boo is going to Arizona Exotic Animal Hospital in PX to be seen by DR. Wright on 7/7. Boo is doing well and sends love and little Boo-Boo hugs hug2
I will let you know what we find out.
angel
Pat, Boo-Boo, and BJ

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/03/09 05:51 PM

hug2

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/03/09 07:32 PM

Hope everything goes well. Give Boo-Boo a hug and treat from me.
Posted By: mommawannabe

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/03/09 08:21 PM

Oh my gosh I missed this too. Oh Pat, I am sending happy thoughts and many prayers BooBoo's way. You must be frazzled. That video was just the most precious thing. What a big mush face. I love it when they are like that. Well of course and who of us wouldn't...lol. You guys are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Anna

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/03/09 09:08 PM

Pat, I read these posts with tears in my eyes. I'm just so scared I'm going to read a sad ending and know I'll end up sobbing like a baby. Boo-Boo is in YOUR custody, but he belongs to all of US! I'm still sending lots of prayers, best wishes and tons of love to Mr. Boo!

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/03/09 09:53 PM

I will continue to keep you in my prayers. I sure hope all goes well at the next visit.

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/04/09 02:18 AM

Quote:
Pat, I read these posts with tears in my eyes. I'm just so scared I'm going to read a sad ending and know I'll end up sobbing like a baby. Boo-Boo is in YOUR custody, but he belongs to all of US! I'm still sending lots of prayers, best wishes and tons of love to Mr. Boo!

All I can say is DITTO!

Praying for the best outcome.

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/04/09 03:17 AM

hug2

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/05/09 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Feather
Quote:

All I can say is DITTO!

Praying for the best outcome.

Believe me when I tell you I try very hard not to even go there. This is very stressing and is kind of a helpless feeling where I just do the best I can, stay as positive as I can, and give the little man lots of lovin'. I am anxious as to what the Exotic people in Phoenix will have to say. I wish me and the Boo Boys would have known about G/C years ago so we all could have followed their lives from way back when. Who would have known Boo-Boo would be loved so much and I thank everyone for their love and prayers for him. He is awake now and chilling out with BJ.
Thank you everyone thanks

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/07/09 02:28 PM

Praying for you and Boo-Boo and that you get good news today.

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/07/09 03:14 PM

Keeping you and your boys in my thoughts Pat, and waiting to hear some good news!

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/07/09 03:57 PM

I hope you get some good news today. You and your boys are in my thoughts. smile
Posted By: Critters

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/07/09 04:42 PM

hug2 and prayers sent your way

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/07/09 04:55 PM

So sorry to hear about Boo. Prayers and thoughts with you from WNY.

heart

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/07/09 05:16 PM

I've got all my crossables crossed for a good report today Ozzi! hug2

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/07/09 05:31 PM

hug2 We hope you get good news today! Our thoughts and prayers are with you 100%!! hug2
Posted By: KarenE

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/07/09 08:03 PM

Pat, I have been out of town and missed this post. My goodness you two have been through quite alot. My thoughts are with both of you and especially with Boo that all goes well.

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/07/09 08:59 PM

Sending healing prayers....can't wait to hear from you Pat...

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/08/09 01:08 AM

Hey Pat I see you online.....how's Boo Boo and how was the vet visit today????

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/08/09 01:11 AM

please do tell. smile

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/08/09 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: saturngirl
Hey Pat I see you online.....how's Boo Boo and how was the vet visit today????

Sorry, I am a slow typer and I was just typing out about today's vet visit.
Here is what he said-
"Boo-Boo has a mass beneath the skin of his right web and a larger mass in his upper abdomen that is likely a Liver or Gall Bladder tumor.
Boo-Boo's blood work today had some mildly elevated values suggestive of Liver or Gall Bladder disease. I have seen dramatic changes in a short period of time and recommend that we recheck blood work in 3-4 weeks to have a better understanding of what is happening.

Boo-Boo weighed 158 grams so his weight, though he has lost about 30 grams since the beginning of October last year, is not an issue right now.
I will have to weigh any options such as exploratory surgery and do what I feel will be in the best interest of Boo-Boo and his quality of life.

I don't know what else to say right now. It was a long day but me and the BB's are home and they are happy to be sleeping in their "Real" bed at home and not in their travel pouch. I have to absorb today.
Thanks for caring angel

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/08/09 01:36 AM

Thanks for the update Pat. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers that you are able to make a decision.

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/08/09 01:37 AM

Pat,

I know your trying to digest all the vet has said and that your in pain knowing that your little man is facing a rough time.

We all share in your pain, prayers and good thoughts coming your way.

Kisses for BooBoo and BJ.

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/08/09 01:38 AM

hug2 hug2 My prayers for you and your boys continue.

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/08/09 01:41 AM

hug2 Pat, do you still have the items that I sent you?
When your rested and feel up to it please give me a call.

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/08/09 01:45 AM

Hey Pat, have you and your vet talked about having a bile acid test done on Boo Boo? If not have him get in touch with Dr.Tristan about it 361-994-1145

He can go over it a whole lot better than I can here.

Watching this thread and sending prayers.

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/08/09 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By: LSardou
hug2 Pat, do you still have the items that I sent you?
When your rested and feel up to it please give me a call.

I do and I will but probably tomorrow as my head is tant
Thank you Linda, and everyone angel

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/08/09 01:48 AM

Oh Pat....I'm sorry to hear about the visit. Give Boo Boo lots of hugs and kisses.

If you need anything just let me know. Lots of hugs & prayers coming your way. hug2 hug2 hug2

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/08/09 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Srlb
Hey Pat, have you and your vet talked about having a bile acid test done on Boo Boo? If not have him get in touch with Dr.Tristan about it 361-994-1145
He can go over it a whole lot better than I can here.
Watching this thread and sending prayers.

My vet from today, DR. Kevin Wright in Phoenix, Mentioned DR. Tristan today and I have to go back and listen to the tape I made today of our visit to see what he might have said about Bile Acid.
Thank you Peggy thanks

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/08/09 01:52 AM

hug2 hug2 heart heart We're here for you.
Posted By: mommawannabe

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/08/09 01:54 AM

Oh Pat, I am so sorry to hear about BooBoo. You guys are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Anna

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/08/09 01:57 AM

What a tough day... hug2

Here's what I have to say for today...
To Pat, BooBoo and BJ...
wave heart hug2 mlove

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/08/09 02:12 AM

Hang tough Pat!!! Everything is going to happen the way it is supposed to and we are just along for the ride. Me and my gang are here for you and yours! smile
Posted By: IowaMisty

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/08/09 03:16 AM

Hey Pat,

Sounds like a really tough day. I'm really sorry you and Boo Boo are going through this. My thoughts are with you. hug2

Misty

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/08/09 01:53 PM

Pat, we ALL love you and we are with you every step of the way. The love and support from this glider community are beyond words! Many prayers and good thoughts are sent your way!

Jen

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/08/09 03:38 PM

We love you and your boys Pat! All this love and positive energy HAS to be doing some good!!!!! We'll keep a steady supply of it coming!

BTW... you were SO SMART to tape the visit! I wish peopel would do that at the Dr too. Sometimes what you hear a tthe vet/Dr office is overwhelming and you may forget important information. Very smart move Pat!

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/08/09 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By: BelladonnasMom
We love you and your boys Pat! All this love and positive energy HAS to be doing some good!!!!! We'll keep a steady supply of it coming!

BTW... you were SO SMART to tape the visit! I wish peopel would do that at the Dr too. Sometimes what you hear a tthe vet/Dr office is overwhelming and you may forget important information. Very smart move Pat!

Thank you everyone for all the Lo heart VE, and support.
I am so glad I thought to bring the camera just for audio. I had thought about getting a voice recorder but then remembered I could get just audio from the camera. It was so nice to be able to come home and listen to everything the DR. said again in a peaceful environment with out a bunch of thoughts and questions to ask the DR running through my head. I recommend that everyone does this both for their pets Vet Visit or their own DR. visit. Wait a minute? I don't go to the DR but my pets do roflmao roflmao I can't afford to go to the DR!!! I best not get sick angel
thanks

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/09/09 01:36 AM

For anyone that is interested and for those that have not heard this already here is the DR's diagnosis as he tell it.
I highly recommend everyone does this at their vets office cause it makes all the difference in the world to be able to listen to it all again, a little at a time if necessary, and absorb it better and to have it to refer back to for any new questions that you might have missed the chance to ask at the office.

Boo is doing well tonight. I woke him earlier to see how he was and he was happy to get some mealies, a pine nut, and a little piece of watermelon. He is back snoozing with the Big Dog BJ. BJ had some snacks too. Actually he gets to clean up what Boo leaves behind of the mealies agree . I have to watch his weight.

Boo's Vet Visit 1 Audio

Boo's Vet Visit Pt.2

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/09/09 02:18 PM

Pat my best advice to you would be as follows. You know Boo-Boo best, you can tell if he is bothered by this, better then anyone. His quality of life is what seems to be most important here. At least I would put my Gliders quality of life above everything else first. Just as you seem to already do as well.

My thoughts when it comes to my Gliders is this. I didn't bring them into this world, they were born here in the USA but can not survive out in the wild here if they were to be "set free" (as a lot of animal rights folks think we should do with them. Shows how little they know about Sugar Gliders.) With that in mind my goal is to give them the best life they could possibly have. I try to put myself in their place and I ask myself what I might like if I were them. I feel like you already do this with yours too.

I do what ever I feel I should do, to make sure that when I go to sleep, I have a clean conscious. I base a lot of my decisions in life in general with these thoughts in mind. Do I have a clean conscious? If not what can I do to change or try to improve on what ever it is that seems to be tugging at my conscious. Then I do what I can to try to have as clean of a conscious as I can and I feel better about things in general. I may sometimes question things like what if I had done this instead of that? If things like this were to happen again, do I have anything from a past experience that I can remember that might help me do things better the next time things are similar?

Working EMS, there are plenty of times when we are forced to make quick life and death decisions and sometimes we are forced to decide who we work on and who we don't based on triage, situations, resources etc... Sometimes people die as a result of a decision we have made, based on our training, skills etc... We can not save everyone.

After every call my partner and I run together, no matter what it was, we will ask each other how we felt things went on that call? Was there anything we could have done differently for a better outcome? What could we have done differently if anything? etc... By talking about it between ourselves we are able to learn from our experiences together and try to make things better for the future. Just like we all are doing here in GC right now.

Pat you are a Trooper when it comes to Suggies and issues similar to what we have both been through and what you are currently going through now. You will pull through this and Boo-Boo and BJ are in the best hands they could possibly be in. Lots of folks are pulling for you here and will continue to pull for you, because you are a wonderful Suggie Daddy.

I have found this to be useful and thought I would share it with you all. http://www.gdrc.org/uem/qol-define.html

Take Care all and Pat you know how to contact me if you want to chat or vent etc...

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/09/09 02:53 PM

Hi Richard!
Good to see you here on G/C. It has been a while and I still have your Sutton posts bookmarked somewhere from way back when on the other forum. I often wondered how you guys were all doing.
Thank you very much for your post here. I am all about Boo-Boo's quality of life. I know exactly what I won't go through for myself and I know what I won't put Boo-Boo through. He is doing well and may do well for who knows how long yet. He is 9 now and that is a good run for a glider although I know some live a lot past that. I am still going to explore some options.
Thank you for the "Quality of Life" link and I will keep everybody posted.

Smooches to Sutton and Suzie!

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/09/09 03:19 PM

Pat Hang in there. We are all praying for you and Boo Boo! hug2

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/09/09 03:44 PM

I couldn't listen to the vet things... it made me sad... I would have been balling in the vet room. I know the vet is only trying to help, but it hurts to hear bad news. I am so sorry and I hope you and the boys pull through this ordeal...

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/09/09 03:52 PM

hug2

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/09/09 05:38 PM

Pat
I just listened to the vet audio and I'm just balling my eyes out right now. I think of Boo Boo has one of my own gliders and have never met him.
Now, I go back to Sophie and thinking about the times at the vet with her. I did cry at the vet's office... especially leaving her with him but I knew it was for the best.
Pat if you and Boo Boo need anything please don't hestiate to let me know. I will do what I can for you. I love those boys of yours...they have a very special place in my heart. Pat you're a remarkable person and I'm glad to call you friend.

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/09/09 06:30 PM

Thank you Tara, and everybody.
Now your going to make me cryry.
You are all like family to "Us" and when one of our "Family" members has problems we all rally around. Very heart warming to say the least.

I get the Boo man up every day around this time to check on him, slobber him with kisses, and give him his favorite treats. Then send him back off to sleep sleep. He never seems to mind-LOL!!!
That is where I am headed now heart

Thank you all again so very much angel

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/09/09 06:30 PM

Huge hugs to you and Boo-Boo. I know you are keeping your head up and so is he. Gliders can be truly miraculous sometimes, this is my hope for you and your boys. hug2

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/09/09 06:44 PM

Pat, your vet sounds very knowledgeable. However, I must say that no matter, people are diagnosed with a deadly disease and live for many many years without pain or problems only to find the disease has "gone". I pray this is what happens with our Boo Boo, that whatever is going on will just go away and he will have many more years with you.

I could give you personal accounts of what I've been told by my doctors that didn't materialize, like my youngest daughter that came 10 years after I was told I could never have another child. She will be 20 next month. smile

TRY not to stress to much when you are with him, I know it's hard but they can feel OUR stress. He has the best daddy!!

Much LOVE and HUGS to you Pat and of course, Boo Boo and BJ!!!

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/09/09 07:02 PM

The only change to Boo-Boo as to my stress is that he is getting much more loving.
I accept that no one, and nothing, gets out alive but I do believe miracles can, do, and will happen angel
angel

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/09/09 08:16 PM

Pat I'm still praying for the best for you and Boo. hug2

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 07/09/09 09:18 PM

this has been a long haul for you,& we can feel it,too.
if he is not feeling ill,or acting like he is,maybe that is a good(positive)thing? especially since they are masters of hiding illness',& he is acting normal? the weight loss was probably a good thing for him,too.it is ok to have'fluffy'
gliders for most people,but i really don't see it as a healthy thing,myself.this has been so hard to read,but w/him still being here is also so encouraging.
you have always been there for me,well,for everyone,we want to be here for you,also.those little boys really brought smiles to my tears many evenings,& i do sincerely hope that he will continue to do that for MANY more years. you have been the most excellent daddy to these little creatures,we all can see how much you love them,& we want to be able to share that love,& you many times have let us,by opening up their room w/pics & videos.
i will close for now,but my thoughts will continue on,as they have always been for you!!!!!!!
larry & josefine.

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 08/11/09 10:57 PM

Just a little (but I think huge) update on Boo-Boo. I have been supplementing him with Milk Thistle, Co Q 10 liquid, and vitamin E as per the Vets suggestion. As of this writing the hard pebble feeling thing in his fat pad that led me to take him back to the vet in the first place is gone? Boo seems fine, has more energy in my opinion, and his weight is holding. He is still getting spoiled as usual agree, and so is BJ. I will keep you all posted angel
Pat

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 08/11/09 11:01 PM

clap That is good news Pat.

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 08/11/09 11:08 PM

That is great news Pat! Keep lovin on those two boys.

Give them a kiss for me.

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 08/12/09 12:36 AM

That is just great Pat! jump so glad to hear it.

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 08/12/09 12:51 AM

jump dance mlove party
YEAH!!! Give those boys some cuddles from us.

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 08/12/09 01:39 AM

dance So happy to hear it, Pat!!! hug2

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 08/12/09 01:54 AM

jump That is wonderful news! Thank you for updating us!

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 08/12/09 02:58 AM

i do hope that he continues to get better.
i'm sure it has been hard on you all this time,but i'm sure, w/what you are having to give him,he is going to get better.
can't wait to see more pic's & vid's!!!!!!!
talk @ ya L8R

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 08/12/09 03:47 AM

That is great news, Pat! Give the boys an extra mealie from their Aunt Julie for me!

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 08/12/09 05:43 AM

hi pat, remember i told you i will pray and did pray for boo boo maybe you got your answer and especially so if the tumor is gone. that truly is a miracle. i am a firm believer that God answers prayer and is in the business of doing miracles. like he is on boo boo.

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 08/12/09 01:35 PM

Hi Pat, BooBoo and BJ. I have to admit, I was afraid to look at this thread when I saw there was an update...

But to my surprise, it was GOOD news! jump
I am so happy to hear this. Mealies all around! dance

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 08/12/09 02:12 PM

YAY for BooBoo!!!

Re: Help and prayers for Boo-Boo - Part 2 - 08/12/09 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: the gliders angel
hi pat, remember i told you i will pray and did pray for boo boo maybe you got your answer and especially so if the tumor is gone. that truly is a miracle. i am a firm believer that God answers prayer and is in the business of doing miracles. like he is on boo boo.

I do not know that the inside mass is gone with out another x-ray but what I said is gone is the hard pebble sized lump that had formed in his fat pad. That is what initially got me worried and led to further tests. That in itself is a good sign to me angel

Thank you for your Prayers and thank you everyone angel
Pat
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL