GliderCENTRAL

How smelly is glider pee?

Posted By: Anonymous

How smelly is glider pee? - 12/17/09 03:04 AM

So. How smelly is your glider's pee? On a scale of 1 to 5:

1: no smell at all
2: very slight smell (like extremely watery pee- almost no smell)
3: regular human pee smell
4: bad human pee smell, like a person who has a bad diet and their pee stinks up with the smell of urea (tuna smell)
5: so bad you can smell it from a distance
Posted By: LSardou

Re: How smelly is glider pee? - 12/17/09 03:12 AM

My gliders vary between 2-3.

Are your gliders having a strong odor, or are you just curious?
Posted By: pbear3s

Re: How smelly is glider pee? - 12/17/09 03:18 AM

My male glider is pretty bad. My females are not bad at all.

Re: How smelly is glider pee? - 12/17/09 03:26 AM

I'm curious- especially if there's a correlation between diet and stinkiness of pee. Cordie peed on me today and man was it a rank odor. I mean maybe when it dried it wouldn't have been so bad, but when I held my nose up to my shirt I had to decide I wouldn't wear it tomorrow. I'm normally very tolerant of her smell- and it's usually her fleece that smells- so I wanted to know how stinky a "healthy" glider pee is, just in case.
Posted By: LSardou

Re: How smelly is glider pee? - 12/17/09 03:54 AM

Diet will have some factor in the smell of their urine. There are also other things to take into consideration.
Strong urine smell can possibly represent a UTI or Bladder infection, lack of fluid intake which will cause the urine to be concentrated (yellowish)with a strong odor, also, crystals in the urine will cause a pungy smell.
If ever in doubt, please have a urinalysis done to make sure that everything is normal.
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: How smelly is glider pee? - 12/17/09 05:31 AM

I feed HPW and my gliders are about a 2 but with a sweet smell. If they have a UTI tho, it's a 4 or 5.

Re: How smelly is glider pee? - 12/17/09 02:13 PM

Cordie's pee is consistently a yellow color (not just yellowish, definitely yellow) and I only just got a big whiff of her stinky pee last night, so I don't know if it was that particular night or if she's always that smelly. I did notice when I got home yesterday that she didn't eat much of her BML for that day, whereas normally she eats ALL the BML and picks at her veggies. So that might have been it. I'm going to monitor her. By herself she doesn't smell bad at all.
Posted By: Xfilefan

Re: How smelly is glider pee? - 12/17/09 03:18 PM

On a proper diet a glider's urine shouldn't have an odor, unless a cage tray is really dirty, but not when it's fresh. If it does, particularly with other symptoms (ie lack of appetite), or it continues, a UTI is a very good bet. I would get her into the vet for a urinalysis asap-let go they can lead to other issues like SM or an infection that spreads into the kidneys or anal glands. It's always best to check if unsure (better safe than sorry) and a urinalisys is one of the less expensive tests-vet will want to look for bacteria, a very high pH, white blood cells, and/or a way overabundance of crystals that can go along with infection/elevated pH and can be very painful.
Posted By: eterrell84

Re: How smelly is glider pee? - 12/17/09 03:25 PM

my gliders are at about a 2 with a hint of human pee smell. its not very yellow either, real watery looking.

Re: How smelly is glider pee? - 12/17/09 03:28 PM

A pale yellow color is normal-absent other symptoms and depending on diet, the smell may be-but if you are concerned at all, particularly if no diet change and the smell is recent, a vet check cant hurt.

Re: How smelly is glider pee? - 12/17/09 03:35 PM

Hmmm. Her fleece has always smelled, she's just never peed ON me before (I've been lucky in the last two weeks).

Re: How smelly is glider pee? - 12/17/09 03:48 PM

By fleece, do you mean her pouch? Some gliders, particularly the more light sensitive ones, can be hesitant about coming out to pee in the day and will go in the pouch-with others there are other problems that cause it (joeys that were taken from their parents too young and didn't learn all they needed, those especially fearful, ill gliders, etc.), but regardless, with such a glider, the pouch needs changed more often than normal. If it's a same day smell, I'd say get her checked...if it's something that builds over days, you may just need to change the pouch daily or every other day-having them sleep in the ammonia that is present in all pee for any length of time isn't good for their lungs or health in general...unfortunately with a glider that does this there doesn't seem to be any way to change the habit unless it's due to a UTI. If it's a light sensitivity or fear issue, getting the glider out periodically during the day to pee elsewhere can help if they're cooperative. It won't fix the underlying issue though.

Re: How smelly is glider pee? - 12/17/09 03:59 PM

Well, when I first got her, the breeder said not to use a pouch for about a week so she would get used to me picking her up. I put fleece in the bottom of her cage and she would snuggle into a ball under a couple of layers. That stuff smelled pretty bad. I moved her into a pouch (which she seems to love) a couple of days ago, and that's not as rank as the fleece. The fleece would stink up after only a day or two. The pouch is still only slightly animal-smelling. Pee-pee is stinky, though! I'm going back to check on her today at lunch and sniff around.

Re: How smelly is glider pee? - 12/17/09 06:04 PM

My female glider has a faint odor to her urine, so a 2. My male's urine does smell more, maybe a 4, but I think it is more scent related rather than the urine itself (he gets neutered tomorrow).
Posted By: Heroine

Re: How smelly is glider pee? - 12/20/09 01:01 AM

I have to say that my girls is probably a 1 or 2 because I never notice her urine at all unless its time to clean something or she pees on me. Honestly Biddy's pouch hardly ever smells even when it needs washing. It sometimes still smells like the detergent I washed it in the time before. Once in a blue moon her fleece on the bottom of her cage will get to be (maybe a 3) right before I wash it. I feed her the Priscilla Price diet.
Posted By: heidi

Re: How smelly is glider pee? - 12/20/09 01:21 AM

i will tell you what my boys all three is less than one i use cage liners that can be bought in classified at jana,s suggie shop these are great she can make any size i cant say enuff about them but the musk smell on there blankies is about a 2 they get changeded everyother day

Re: How smelly is glider pee? - 12/20/09 05:25 PM

My gliders are about 1-2. Like someone else mentioned I only really smell them when it is time to clean out the cage.

Re: How smelly is glider pee? - 12/20/09 09:35 PM

Luckily my boys don't smell:0) I am a neat freak though so that might be part of it. Not a single person has come into my house and said "ewww" between the big dogs and three gliders if no one can smell anything I take that as a compliment:0) When I do get peed on (every night) I have sniffed it before and there wasn't really any smell to it.
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: How smelly is glider pee? - 12/21/09 12:52 AM

Mine are all a 1 or 2 except a couple of the boys, at times Badge and Abraham have a 2 to 3. They are not neutered though.
Posted By: minkasmom

Re: How smelly is glider pee? - 12/21/09 02:17 AM

Using your scale, the WORST mine have is a 2...most of them are in the 1 neighborhood. Now scent-marking is a COMPLETELY different issue here...
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL