GliderCENTRAL

Freezing Apples

Posted By: Anonymous

Freezing Apples - 09/26/06 12:57 AM

Trying to get a jump on the holidays. You know how busy they can be. I want to freeze some fruit & veggies for my little guys. I do have one question, when freezing apples is it ok to soak them in vitamin C? I read on the internet you should soak them so they do not turn brown.

Here is the link.

Has anyone ever done this before? read

Re: Freezing Apples - 09/26/06 01:01 AM

I personally would not soak them in anything.

I freeze apples quite reguarly for my gliders and so long as I put them in a freezer right after chopping, I have not had a problem with them turning brown. I usually try to turn the freezer temp down the night before I freeze new BML or fruits so it is colder in there and the fruits/BML freeze faster.

HTH thumb

Re: Freezing Apples - 09/26/06 02:53 PM

Thanks for the tip, I try it this weekend.
Posted By: TracieB

Re: Freezing Apples - 09/26/06 03:16 PM

I haven't tried this yet, but I was checking out some info on dried ice. Here's what it says about freezing fruit (strawberries in particular)
"FREEZE FRESH STRAWBERRIES PERFECTLY
Karyn Gilbert writes: "I use Dry Ice to freeze my strawberries - fresh, washed ones, once a year:

Wash fresh strawberries
Place directly on top of dry ice in cooler for about 20-30 minutes
Close cooler
Remove when solid
Place in freezer safe plastic bag, mark with date
Place in freezer - to thaw take out and set on plate at room temp (use within a year to be sure freshness)
They will thaw almost like fresh - without being soggy like usual frozen strawberries are.
I suppose this might work for other fruits and veggies because of the quick freeze time, not allowing them to get soggy..."

I thought I might try this with melons and other fruit as well. Since dry ice is so much colder, it freezes faster.

Re: Freezing Apples - 09/26/06 03:22 PM

I freeze apples also.. and i haven't had a problem with them turning brown as long as i don't leave them in there TO long....

Re: Freezing Apples - 09/26/06 05:22 PM

[quote=SUGGIEBOYS]Trying to get a jump on the holidays. You know how busy they can be. I want to freeze some fruit & veggies for my little guys. I do have one question, when freezing apples is it ok to soak them in vitamin C? I read on the internet you should soak them so they do not turn brown.

Re: Freezing Apples - 09/26/06 05:38 PM

I've just begun experimenting with freezing fruits and have had great results with apples (no soaking or additives), watermelon, strawberries, canteloupes, mangoes and grapes. I put the fruit in zip-lock freezer bags, and flatten it slightly with a rolling pin to create a sheet-like shape. This makes it really easy to break off a serving-size piece. HTH! mlove glider

Re: Freezing Apples - 09/26/06 06:59 PM

yeah that might help but that will most likey not be good for the gliders...

I wouldn't soak them if i were you.

Re: Freezing Apples - 09/29/06 02:06 PM

Thanks everyone for your help, going to freeze with out soaking.
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL