GliderCENTRAL

Can they eat nopales(cactus)???

Posted By: Guerita135

Can they eat nopales(cactus)??? - 12/04/07 09:28 PM

I bought a bag of pre-cut cactus because I thought the giders might like it. smile

However, I wanted to check with ya'll if it's good for them?

I don't know if this will be of much help, but here's the nutritional info:

Total fat: 0
Soduim: 0
Total carbs: 7 grams
Dietary fiber: 4 grams
Sugar: 0

Vit. A: 4%
Vitamin C: 20%
Fiber: 35%
Calcium: 25%
Iron: 2%
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Can they eat nopales(cactus)??? - 12/04/07 10:59 PM

I don't know if this is a 'safe' food for gliders, but I sure like the 25% calcium. I wonder if nopales are available fresh in Miami? dunno
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Can they eat nopales(cactus)??? - 12/04/07 11:17 PM

I'm not certain. Here is a list of safe fruits and veggies. Maybe this will help.
Safe Fruits & Veggies

Re: Can they eat nopales(cactus)??? - 12/05/07 12:02 AM

Linda that link takes you back to the "we've moved message".
Posted By: LSardou

Re: Can they eat nopales(cactus)??? - 12/05/07 12:09 AM

Thanks, I think that Eddie is still trying to get things moved over. There will be some technical problems for a little while until everything is finished.

Re: Can they eat nopales(cactus)??? - 12/05/07 12:19 AM

Thanks everyone, I'll see if I can find the "safe fruits and veggies" list and check if it's on there. wink

WANTIKI2- Nopales are a popular food in Mexico and since there's lots of hispanics(Mexican, Cuban, Puerto Rican) in Miami then I'm sure if you check some of the Spanish grocery stores you can find some. wink

Here's a wikipedia link you can see what it actually looks like un-cut: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nopal . I prefer to go for the pre-cut stuff, lol.

I hope it's good for them. If so then I also hope they like it! laugh
Posted By: USMom

Re: Can they eat nopales(cactus)??? - 12/05/07 01:14 AM

Yeah, I was gonna say, but will they eat it? Little weirdo's like the strangest things. I will try and find the list, too.

Re: Can they eat nopales(cactus)??? - 12/05/07 01:16 AM

Is this the link you are looking for ? This should be what Linda posted, look on page 2 I think...

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/309291/fpart/1

Re: Can they eat nopales(cactus)??? - 12/05/07 01:34 AM

Maco, I borrowed your link from Kristen's post--
http://www.moondance-sugargliders.com/sugar_glider_plant-tree_information.htm
Shows them as safe to eat...

Re: Can they eat nopales(cactus)??? - 12/05/07 02:11 AM

Thanks!

I offered the gliders some and heard them licking it, but I'm not sure if anyone ate any, I'll have to check the pouch later. Either way, at least now I know they can have it. wink

Re: Can they eat nopales(cactus)??? - 12/05/07 07:37 AM

If they don't do it this time, maybe try again later. Sometimes they like something one day, then won't touch it the next. Kind of like a baby.

Re: Can they eat nopales(cactus)??? - 12/05/07 09:01 AM

Well, I cleaned out the pouch and only found 1 piece of cactus(I put about 4-5 pieces in there) and a bunch of little dried chuncks so I guess it was a hit! laugh

Re: Can they eat nopales(cactus)??? - 12/05/07 04:11 PM

That's good news, especially in view of the calcium content.

Re: Can they eat nopales(cactus)??? - 12/05/07 04:51 PM

i just read the entire wiki about the calcium in the napol's and the calcium content is HIGH but it's not biologically available because it is in the form of calcium oxalate which is not easily absorbed through the intestines..

I was about to special order some to my house, but if the calcium isn't there, i am not sure it would be worth it..

I do wanna try some for myself as i always had in my mind an idea what a cactus would taste like..

Re: Can they eat nopales(cactus)??? - 12/05/07 07:21 PM

UH-OH! I just read on the Wiki site that adding nopales to a mixed meal reduces the glycemic effect!

Isn't that BAD for gliders because they NEED to absorb all the sugars in their food?

Here's a link about the glycemic index stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index

Good thing I haven't added the cactus to their food mix, I just gave em a couple pieces yesterday and that was WAY before they ate.

Re: Can they eat nopales(cactus)??? - 12/05/07 07:46 PM

Do you think maybe it should be put on the list of fruits/veggies NOT to feed?

Re: Can they eat nopales(cactus)??? - 12/05/07 08:30 PM

I also noticed that the site said that the calcium was in the form of oxalates. question

Lucky Glider Ed...where are you? Need input.

Re: Can they eat nopales(cactus)??? - 12/06/07 12:20 AM

Oxalates are a more solid form of calcium. It is a needle shaped crystal, what some kidney stones are made of.

This might be a VERY bad thing, as animals can get kidney stones too!
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL