GliderCENTRAL

berries and seeds

Posted By: Anonymous

berries and seeds - 07/20/08 05:06 AM

everyone knows seeds are a no no, but many diets feature berries, which house their seeds in every tiny section of meat. Soooo...I take it these seeds are non-toxic? what about cucumber seeds or the seeds of any fruit or veggie? is there a certain factor seeds must have to present fear of aflatoxin?

Re: berries and seeds - 07/20/08 05:19 AM

Mine eat strawberries and raspberries and blackberries regularly. They just spit the seeds out.
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: berries and seeds - 07/20/08 05:24 AM

nuts and grains are the concern with Aflatoxin (corn, peanuts, oats, wheat, etc.) Figure if there is mold on your fruit/veggies, you aren't feeding it to them anyway. thumb

Re: berries and seeds - 07/20/08 05:53 AM

Bless my ignorance...well, isn't there some issue with at least some kinds of seeds? Pits are toxic, I know. Sorry I'm such an ignoramus.

Re: berries and seeds - 07/20/08 06:48 AM

Oops, I'm sorry Gretchen...I was rude not to say thank you...Thanks for pointing that out to me so I don't look like a dum dum later!

Re: berries and seeds - 07/20/08 07:36 AM

I know apple seeds are toxic but not very. Berry seeds don't hurt critters though.

Re: berries and seeds - 07/20/08 07:48 AM

That is so weird...I can't imagine the mishaps people have had finding out what is toxic or not frown
thanks for the added info Rachael smile

Re: berries and seeds - 07/20/08 09:01 AM

By toxic I don't mean apple seeds can kill you. You'd have to eat a lot to get sick off of them.

Re: berries and seeds - 07/20/08 10:13 AM

my gliders love blueberries the most
Posted By: sugarlope

Re: berries and seeds - 07/20/08 04:31 PM

If you don't ask you don't know NammyPants, I don't think i was a dumb question. smile If there are big seeds, most people will take them out. But gliders are pretty smart and eat around seeds generally, so if you miss one, don't fret (they don't taste very good). wink

Re: berries and seeds - 07/20/08 08:21 PM

Ok, I feel much better informed now. Thanks all you guys!
Posted By: BeckiT

Re: berries and seeds - 07/21/08 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Rachel
I know apple seeds are toxic but not very. Berry seeds don't hurt critters though.
apple seeds contain arsenic which is why they're not good to feed little critters. while it'd take a lot to make a human sick, gliders are a lot smaller and it wouldn't take much at all wink
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL