GliderCENTRAL

Can gliders have mushrooms?

Posted By: Anonymous

Can gliders have mushrooms? - 05/29/09 01:48 PM

I know for flying squirrels they say to feed them, as since they are nocturnal, it gives them the vitamin D3 to help with the uptake of calcium. Wondering if it would be the same for gliders. Anyone know???? Thanks!
Posted By: suggiemom1980

Re: Can gliders have mushrooms? - 05/29/09 02:11 PM

I have fed mine baby portabella (sp?)mushrooms many times. Ivory will crab the whole time he is eating his, so that no one takes it away, even tho everyone has one too! LOL!
Posted By: CharmedSuggies

Re: Can gliders have mushrooms? - 05/29/09 02:37 PM

I'm curious about this too.

1. are there only specific mushrooms that can be fed?

2. do you feed them cooked or raw?

3. how often are they allowed to have them?

I think that's it for now, lol.
Posted By: Donnarae

Re: Can gliders have mushrooms? - 06/04/09 05:03 AM

I've been told they can have mushrooms. If you can eat them, so can they. I'd say raw, don't know for sure. I haven't tried mushrooms on my kids yet. They are real skeptical about anything new on their plate and it might take several attempts before they actually eat some.
Posted By: snowbabygliders

Re: Can gliders have mushrooms? - 06/04/09 06:36 AM

mine love the portebello mushrooms. to me they are gross lol. I feel like i'm touching fungus...literally but they love it. I have been varying up my fruits and veggies portion of my HPW diet very much so they can get all the nutrients., vitamins etc they need. To sum it up, for gliders never given them, they cleaned those plates! lol
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Can gliders have mushrooms? - 06/04/09 07:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Donnarae
If you can eat them, so can they.

be careful saying things like that. someone new to gliders might take that to heart and try feeding their gliders garlic...which I read here was toxic to them (?)
Posted By: KattyM

Re: Can gliders have mushrooms? - 06/04/09 07:19 AM

If you feed mushrooms, first make sure they are allowed in the diet plan you're following.

Then, make sure they are thoroughly cleaned. Otherwise, you run the risk of introducing giardia, just as you might with other difficult-to-clean foods like berries.

Also note that they are not the greatest as far as the Ca:P (calcium to phosphorus) ratios. In fact, some are downright horrific. From the USDA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, per 100 gram servings:
  • Brown, Italian, or Crimini (raw): 18 mg Ca : 120 mg P (6.67 times higher in P than Ca)
  • Enoki (raw): 1 mg Ca : 109 mg P (109 times higher in P than Ca)
  • Portabello (raw): 8 mg Ca : 130 mg P (16.25 times higher in P than Ca)
  • White (raw): 3 mg Ca : 86 mg P (28.67 times higher in P than Ca)

I don't know if these varieties are all safe to offer to gliders. Foods that are safe for us may not be safe for them. Rhubarb is one example. Remember, if in doubt, leave it out. wink

Anonymous, I encourage you to register so you can take full advantage of the board (posting in all the forums, e.g., Diet & Nutrition). It's fast, and it's free! thumb
Posted By: CharmedSuggies

Re: Can gliders have mushrooms? - 06/04/09 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: JillMarie
be careful saying things like that. someone new to gliders might take that to heart and try feeding their gliders garlic...which I read here was toxic to them (?)

Yes JillMarie you are right.

Dangers of Onion, Garlic, Lima Bean & Soy
Posted By: kipluck

Re: Can gliders have mushrooms? - 06/08/09 04:14 AM

Originally Posted By: kristy55303
...I feel like i'm touching fungus...
Wel... you ARE. hee hee! Mushrooms ARE a fungi.
grin

Personally, while I don't think of them as a big No-No, they aren't a GOOD enough food for me to go out of the way to feed them. *I* don't like them and they have never seemed to have enough of a benefit to do so.
Posted By: SugarBlossoms

Re: Can gliders have mushrooms? - 06/08/09 04:48 AM

That is a HORRIBLE Ca:Ph rate!!! I'll skip the Portabella..or any mushroom.
Posted By: JillMarie

Re: Can gliders have mushrooms? - 06/10/09 07:05 AM

haha My hubby LOVES mushrooms so one night I provided him with some for dinner and i gave a small piece to the gliders just to see if they would like it....they looked at me like "you MUST be joking" wouldnt touch it...in fact seemed disturbed by it.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Can gliders have mushrooms? - 06/10/09 07:27 AM

Can you find something high enough in calcium (like spinach or greens,) to balance out the ratios. What if you found a fruit with a high calcium ration too, maybe add that too? Do you think that would be alright?

I was curious about water chestnuts? Are those alright do you think?
© 2024 GliderCENTRAL