by theresaw
0 seconds ago
Self Mutilating
by Ladymagyver
Today at 05:53 PM
Hi! I need some help
by Ladymagyver
Today at 05:51 PM
Three weeks in, first timer, questions .
by Terry
Today at 05:14 PM
BML Help
by Ladymagyver
Today at 10:21 AM
Injured Tail W/No Vet Instru/Help!
by Terry
Yesterday at 09:31 PM
Another Prolapsed cloaca
by Terry
Yesterday at 09:03 PM
Grieving sugar glider
by Firefly
Yesterday at 08:36 PM
Recipe for glider yogi's please!
by Ladymagyver
Yesterday at 01:58 PM
Hi new to forum.
by durga
Yesterday at 10:36 AM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Topic Options
#1052351 - 01/08/11 07:40 PM Catching unbonded glider after tent time
IslandGliders Offline
Glider Addict

Loc: Maine
I know someone more experienced out there has some tips for me. I'm pretty desperate for a way to easily scoop up Novak after tent time is over. Tricking him into going for treats in a pouch worked for the first couple nights, but now NOTHING is more important to him than sweet freeeeeedom.

(I also got a couple nights' worth of capturing him by kinda surprising him with the bonding pouch and scooping him into it, but now that no longer works... and I don't want to be chasing him around the tent, undoing our progress.)

He is far too feral to safely ride on me for the five foot walk from the tent to cage (which is what I do with the girls).

Help!

#1052362 - 01/08/11 07:48 PM Re: Catching unbonded glider after tent time [Re: IslandGliders]
GliderNursery Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Loc: North Central Ohio
Does he get to play long enough to wear himself out? Sometimes they will decide its time to go back to sleep and crawl in.

What time are you doing tent time, and what time does he normally wake up?

Maybe you are having tent time too close to his normal time to wake up. If you can do it earlier, maybe he'll be more willing to catch a few more winks and go into the pouch. dunno

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

#1052366 - 01/08/11 08:00 PM Re: Catching unbonded glider after tent time [Re: IslandGliders]
xoerikae Offline
Glider Slave

Loc: NC, USA
lol. mine are bonded, and they still dont want to be done when playtime is over.
what we do is one of us quickly gets out of the cage [so the gliders dont get out!] and turn on the light. a couple minutes later, and they go in their pouch.

#1052374 - 01/08/11 08:23 PM Re: Catching unbonded glider after tent time [Re: IslandGliders]
IslandGliders Offline
Glider Addict

I do tent time at about 8:00 PM. I wish I could do it at a different (later) time but I need them on a certain schedule because of my job.

Erika, thank you SO much for the light suggestion. I think that just might work! smile Or at least make it easier for me to scoop him up in the pouch.

My girls never WANT tent time to be over, however they are quite cooperative about riding back to the cage on my shoulder. Going into the cage? Not so much. But they are bonded to me and so I don't worry about them running off like I do with Novak.

#1052376 - 01/08/11 08:26 PM Re: Catching unbonded glider after tent time [Re: IslandGliders]
xoerikae Offline
Glider Slave

no problem!
my boys take about three minutes in light to go into a pouch, lol. we've found that regular light encourages the pouch, while red light encourages play time. blue light encourages unhappy gliders tounge
chris had an old led light system that is built to go under a car that we strung around the top of the walls at the apt. now we just replaced the main lights in the main place with red lights, and we have a lamp for white light if need be smile

#1055280 - 01/14/11 04:18 PM Re: Catching unbonded glider after tent time [Re: IslandGliders]
IslandGliders Offline
Glider Addict

Gosh, Erika, thanks again! I can't believe how great this works! I was started to get so stressed out at the end of tent time because I was always thinking, "Here we go..." and anticipating spending ten minutes catching Nov. But now I just call to my husband, he flips on the light, and Novak crawls right into the pouch! No stress on any of us. smile It's great!

#1055284 - 01/14/11 04:28 PM Re: Catching unbonded glider after tent time [Re: IslandGliders]
xoerikae Offline
Glider Slave

no worries! smile glad it works for you!

#1055288 - 01/14/11 04:38 PM Re: Catching unbonded glider after tent time [Re: IslandGliders]
Mastiff_Mama Offline
Glider Guardian

Loc: Missouri
I had an escapee 3 mornings ago. I was worried about my husband leaving for work early in the morning with all of the ice on our roads, so when he left at 4am I went to feed our fuzzbutts some mealies.

One of my non bonded males decided to leap out onto mama, then down the hall and under her king size bed!

I tried bribing him with yogies and mealies but he just kept running around, bouncing while he was running.

I finally lost my cool, grabbed his pouch, held it out and said "I swear to god if you try and get past me, I will kill you." He jumped right into the pouch. Sometimes it is all about your tone smile LOL JK But this did happen this way. I just tell myself he went in because he knew mom wasnt playing.
A Slave To Many... :grey: :wfb: :leu: :rtmo:
A loving wife to Chris

***Sprinkled With Sugar Paradise***
http://swsp.weebly.com

#1055318 - 01/14/11 06:28 PM Re: Catching unbonded glider after tent time [Re: Mastiff_Mama]
wildlifeangel Offline
Glider Slave

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Originally Posted By: Mastiff_Mama
I finally lost my cool, grabbed his pouch, held it out and said "I swear to god if you try and get past me, I will kill you." He jumped right into the pouch. Sometimes it is all about your tone smile LOL JK But this did happen this way. I just tell myself he went in because he knew mom wasnt playing.

roflmao roflmao I used to yell at my rat... she would never respond to "lily, come"... but when I said, "Lily, get your scrawny little butt over here NOW" she would always come.

I also know gliders do respond to our tones... but it's TOO funny to hear that.

Adam-Eve
Starsky-Bianca
Gabriel-Charity
Barrington-Bailey
Travis-Rose-Ruby
Justice-Mercy
Natalia-Carmella-Cayden
Minka-Marco
Reagan-Jocelynn
Donnovin-Selina
Kaluah-Keeko-Emily-Monty-Lexy-Kevin-Raven-Skeeter
:rtmo: :leu: :bb: :cream: :plat:

www.tspsugar.com

Moderator:  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver, Philwojo 
Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online
3 registered (theresaw, Ladymagyver, RAWRnivore), 15 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Owner, Admin, Mod
Newest Members
Tara24, Sal305, Cherylr1995, SarasotaSugs, Lisa11
6451 Registered Users
Forum Stats
41 posts in the last 24hrs
6452 Members
134 Forums
8999 Topics
148767 Posts

Max Online: 478 @ 07/15/07 01:24 AM
Last 10 New Topics
Hi! I need some help
by RAWRnivore
Today at 05:12 PM
BML Help
by Alan
Yesterday at 04:59 PM
Grieving sugar glider
by Firefly
Yesterday at 01:04 PM
Self Mutilating
by Anonymous
Yesterday at 11:26 AM
Injured Tail W/No Vet Instru/Help!
by
12/13/17 03:57 AM
Recipe for glider yogi's please!
by Claralice
12/12/17 10:03 PM
My Caramel Gliders anything I need to know about neutering?
by Claralice
12/12/17 04:14 PM
Three weeks in, first timer, questions .
by Lisa11
12/12/17 04:42 AM
RIP Spencer
by Cora
12/11/17 04:58 PM
New odor issue??
by AlyCatz
12/08/17 05:37 PM
(Views)Popular Topics
I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! 20205057
Spencer needs your prayers/good thoughts 12468448
TEXAS 658886