by glide247
Yesterday at 10:26 PM
Introducing Two Colonies
by Kris
Yesterday at 08:41 PM
Seeking a Bra Baby Glider for PTSD
by KarenE
Yesterday at 11:01 AM
Should breeding pairs ever be separated?
by KarenE
Yesterday at 09:48 AM
Looking for vet recommendation, Atlanta
by Jen_faith
Yesterday at 04:40 AM
Fruits and Veggies
by KarenE
10/22/17 10:39 AM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Topic Options
#1085627 - 03/16/11 01:35 PM Is an unneutered colony possible?
ssuver Offline
Glider Slave

Loc: Texas, U.S. 76022
I know that males are territorial but I also know that gliders are colony animals in the wild. So I am just wondering if it would be possible to have a colony of 4-6 gliders with an equal number of unneutered males and females if they were introduced at or around 12 weeks oop? Wouldn’t this lead to conditions that are more like they experience in the wild?

No hot heads please. This is just an idea I am rolling around. I currently have one pair of gliders and a trio of rescues. But in the future I know I want more and if I do decide to breed. I kind of wanted to know if this was an option.

:grey: :wfb: :rtmo: :leu:

#1085631 - 03/16/11 01:44 PM Re: Is an unneutered colony possible? [Re: ssuver]
IslandGliders Offline
Glider Addict

Loc: Maine
You have to remember that in the wild, they have much more space than we can ever provide them here in our homes. Their lifespans are also shorter, and fighting amongst each other might contribute to that.

Breeding--and it would be, of course, inevitable with an intact colony--would most likely be a disaster. You wouldn't know who was the father of who. Females might steal each other's joeys. Males would fight over the females in heat.

There is always the exception. I recall someone here posting about the breeder they got their joeys from having something like 12 gliders in a large aviary. It was 3 males/9 females, I believe (or close to that). And the breeder swore by this method, said she never lost a joey, said they all got along, etc. So who knows? dunno But I personally would not attempt this. I think there is only a one in a million chance of this working out well.

If you want to breed, multiple cages are basically a necessity.

#1085642 - 03/16/11 01:56 PM Re: Is an unneutered colony possible? [Re: ssuver]
Megs
Unregistered

^That. Couldn't agree more. agree

#1085643 - 03/16/11 01:57 PM Re: Is an unneutered colony possible? [Re: ssuver]
Laurens_Babies Offline
Glider Addict

Loc: Kansas City, MO
I would not recommend it in fact I would say with guarentee that it wouldn't work long term. The person Hannah mentioned says she never lost a joey but how does she know about joeys IP, PULLED joeys from stress or the other females /males..
Nope sorry.

Lauren's Animal Kingdom
*Website is down temporarily should be back up by November!*

#1085651 - 03/16/11 02:07 PM Re: Is an unneutered colony possible? [Re: ssuver]
ssuver Offline
Glider Slave

I had not thought about the females stealing each others joey's. Like I said, this is not something I am doing, just something I was thinking about. It is a shame though. The idea of a colony is nice. And that way you could just have 1 giant cage instead of multiple large ones.

#1085654 - 03/16/11 02:09 PM Re: Is an unneutered colony possible? [Re: ssuver]
Megs
Unregistered

You can have a colony. Just make sure the males are neutered.

#1085660 - 03/16/11 02:21 PM Re: Is an unneutered colony possible? [Re: ssuver]
kjgoulet Offline
Glider Slave

Loc: North Dakota
I agree with Megs, you can have a colony but I wouldn't have it be a breeding colony just for the fact stated above and there could be more likely joey disappearances.

Another option is if you want to breed have a breeding pair or 2 in their own cages and do the colony thing with other gliders that are either female or neutered.

Mommy to..
Daughter Abby
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo:
And my many fuzzy children <3
www.tenderlovingsuggies.webs.com

#1085664 - 03/16/11 02:39 PM Re: Is an unneutered colony possible? [Re: ssuver]
ssuver Offline
Glider Slave

That is an option I had not considered. Of course I had not thought about breeding until I got my set of 3. I found the mom in a pet store with baby's. Long story short I had to hand feed the joy's and now (This week!) they are eating on there own. I have found the whole experience so rewarding that I think sometime in the future. I might want to breed. Not on a big scale. Just 2-3 breeding pairs.

But I had considered neutering Max and putting the mama of my 2 rescue Joy's in with him and Britta. I don't want to breed her again as I don't know where she came from (she was a drop off at the pet store). So that option might be ideal. A small colony and a couple of breeding pairs.

#1085702 - 03/16/11 04:26 PM Re: Is an unneutered colony possible? [Re: ssuver]
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Loc: Vincennes, IN, USA
I have three breeding females. One in a pair, two in a trio. THIS YEAR, (and it's just the middle of March!) I have had two joeys OOP, one joey due OOP in 1-2 weeks and two more joeys due in about 9 weeks. That's five joeys, SO FAR. With two-three breeding females, it's quite possible to have 12-18 joeys, IN ONE YEAR.

A lot of people, when they think about breeding, don't realize how many joeys can be born in captivity. They add up fast!

Add to that, the possibility of having six joeys at a time, one or even all six, being rejected and needing to be hand raised. That's a whole lotta work! LOL!

Plus, the extra vet bills can be staggering....mating wounds, pouch infections, neutering joeys, etc. By the time you pay for vet bills, food, toys, cages, wheels, pouches, etc., you sure aren't going to make money. Gliders, even colors, just don't sell for how much they used to. AND, there's the stress of finding GREAT homes for them, so you don't worry about them after they leave your home.

Just wanted to give you an example of what you could be in for, with that many breeding females. I have mosaics/mosaic ring tails, and so far, have a waiting list for them. Once that list is filled, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have the males neutered. Right now, my goal is to fulfill the dreams of a few friends, to have mosaics or mosaic ring tails.

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."

#1085770 - 03/16/11 06:52 PM Re: Is an unneutered colony possible? [Re: ssuver]
angelic4296 Offline
Glider Addict

Loc: Northeast U.S.
I don't know much about breeding, but I would think that having everyone in a large cage would lead to inbreeding too...if you have male joeys, when they reach sexual maturity, they will mate with their mother or any sisters born. If you have female joeys, daddy will mate with the girls, most likely at wayyy too young an age...either way, it is a recipe for genetic issues and therefore physical health issues down the road....

2 spoiled gliders, Gizzy (6/05) and Ruthie (?/05) <3

Please consider rescuing first!

Please remember to complete your surveys at http://www.sugargroup.org/ - help better the lives of gliders everywhere smile

#1085830 - 03/16/11 08:43 PM Re: Is an unneutered colony possible? [Re: ssuver]
ssuver Offline
Glider Slave

I have pretty much ruled this out as an option. But I don't see what you mean angelic. If all four of the joey's that will later be mated come from different parents. And there Joey's are removed before sexual maturity. Than there should not be a problem.

However I could see this as being a problem for tracing lineage. As it might be difficult to know who has mated with whom. As ParietalOnCall brought to light. Which is one of the reasons I don't think that it would be wise.

#1086270 - 03/17/11 07:36 PM Re: Is an unneutered colony possible? [Re: ssuver]
angelic4296 Offline
Glider Addict

Loc: Northeast U.S.
OK, I wasn't sure if you'd leave the joeys in the cage or take them out before reaching sexual maturity...if you'd be taking them out, then nevermind, although you'd have to take any females out very early because males, namely the father, will breed with very young females...but since you ruled it out, no biggie! smile

2 spoiled gliders, Gizzy (6/05) and Ruthie (?/05) <3

Please consider rescuing first!

Please remember to complete your surveys at http://www.sugargroup.org/ - help better the lives of gliders everywhere smile

#1086548 - 03/18/11 09:19 AM Re: Is an unneutered colony possible? [Re: Laurens_Babies]
IslandGliders Offline
Glider Addict

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: Laurens_Babies
I would not recommend it in fact I would say with guarentee that it wouldn't work long term. The person Hannah mentioned says she never lost a joey but how does she know about joeys IP, PULLED joeys from stress or the other females /males..
Nope sorry.

Good point! I was just taking her words at face value. But you're right, how would you even know?

Moderator:  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver, Philwojo 
Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Owner, Admin, Mod
Newest Members
Alisa3333, reba, AlyCatz, mandydarr, FinFiFuFe
6390 Registered Users
Forum Stats
19 posts in the last 24hrs
6391 Members
134 Forums
8905 Topics
147924 Posts

Max Online: 478 @ 07/15/07 01:24 AM
Last 10 New Topics
I think my new glider Self-Mutilation
by Newbie
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
Our first sugar gliders
by Klasha
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
Bare Tail Question
by kskill99
Yesterday at 04:57 PM
Took in a glider from my Ex
by New_Guy
Yesterday at 12:11 AM
Should breeding pairs ever be separated?
by AlyCatz
10/22/17 04:53 AM
Twitchy tale movements
by FinFiFuFe
10/20/17 12:29 AM
Looking for vet recommendation, Atlanta
by Jen_faith
10/19/17 08:40 PM
First time glider owner looking for wisdom
by
10/19/17 03:36 PM
Older Male/Joey Female or Older Female?