by Ladymagyver
31 minutes 12 seconds ago
Introducing Two Colonies
by KarenE
Today at 01:26 PM
Seeking a Bra Baby Glider for PTSD
by KarenE
Today at 11:01 AM
Should breeding pairs ever be separated?
by KarenE
Today at 09:48 AM
Took in a glider from my Ex
by KarenE
Today at 09:48 AM
Looking for vet recommendation, Atlanta
by Jen_faith
Today at 04:40 AM
Fruits and Veggies
by KarenE
Yesterday at 10:39 AM
Questions about following Critter Love diet exactly as written
by KarenE
Yesterday at 10:37 AM
My dog Willow
by Terry
10/21/17 06:36 PM
Too Soon To Say Goodbye, my Lulu
by Ladymagyver
10/21/17 05:44 AM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Topic Options
#1086533 - 03/18/11 08:28 AM taming a new full grown glider never handled
johnp Offline

Loc: florida
HELP PLEASE MY FINGERS CANT TAKE MUCH MORE OF THIS! i recently purchased a glider full grown who seems to have never been handled i have tried everything yucky stuff sticking my thumb in his mouth and blowing on him nothing seems to work any suggestions? cry

#1086535 - 03/18/11 08:37 AM Re: taming a new full grown glider never handled [Re: johnp]
victoriarose1982 Offline
Glider Slave

Loc: Seattle, Washginton, USA
Start fresh. Leave the glider alone for a little bit to get use to you. Sleep with a tshirt for a few days and cover the cage then change the shirt every couple of days. The glider needs to get use to its surroundings, your smell, and your voice! Talk around the glider go talk on the phone in the glider room. It could take a few months before you can handle the glider, but in the long run it will be worth it.

I have done this process 3 times in the past 18 months. The hardest one to handle was a pregnant glider my hands were torn to pieces when I first got her. She is now the first one to the cage door to give me kisses. It took me 9 to 12 months to get her that way. It took me 3 months to handle her!

Slow is the key.

Glide free Hope, Cayden, and Zoey

victoriarose1982@yahoo.com
http://sugarcombs.webs.com/
http://www.sugargliderads.com/

#1086540 - 03/18/11 08:49 AM Re: taming a new full grown glider never handled [Re: johnp]
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis

Loc: Kilgore, Texas
I agree slow down, go at the gliders pace. Get a tent, I recommend a geji tent from amazon that pops up and down quickly, is roomy and well ventillated. Take her in it in the pouch and set the pouch down and read or something she may not even come out the first few times, but eventually she will. Take feather teasers, fingerpuppets, yoggies, mealworms in there. wear long sleeves and pants. Now ending tent time is a little trickier I teach them to go back in their pouch, nudgeing them in with a peice of fleece the first few times then the glider catches on. They are smart, fun, like things on a schedule and right now your glider thinks you are king kong and has no way what your intentions are so he/she is "fighting for its life".
Go slow, good luck and have fun. when you do acheive "the bond" it will all be so worth it!

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm

#1086546 - 03/18/11 09:05 AM Re: taming a new full grown glider never handled [Re: johnp]
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Loc: Washington D.C. Metro Area
Please let me add that you should NOT stick your finger in your gliders mouth to reprimand them for biting. This won't help and in fact, will only hinder your progress in bonding. This guy needs your patience and understanding - give it time - it may take LOTS of time. But in the end, the results will be worth it.

www.gliderchef.com

www.thejumpinmonkey.com

#1086550 - 03/18/11 09:20 AM Re: taming a new full grown glider never handled [Re: johnp]
cocobear
Unregistered

I agree with Aimee on the sticking the finger in the mouth. I will tell you first hand that THIS does NOT work. I got my first glider from (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets and before I found this site I had followed all of there bad info and was sticking my thumb in my gliders mouth every time she bit me and it eventually did make her stop biting me but she was just terrified of my hands so she did not trust me at all. I ended up having to start ALL over with her and it took months of work for her to trust my hands.

Now I have had her since October and I still can't get her to sit in my hands and cuddle but she will let me pet her so we are still working on the whole trust issue since I hindered it so bad in the beginning. She does not bite anymore and she is very loving towards me. I just hope one day she will let me hold her and trust my hands again like my other girl does.

So please just take your time, take a step back, and go at your gliders pace. It will definitely be worth the wait in the end!! Good luck!!

#1088024 - 03/21/11 09:51 AM Re: taming a new full grown glider never handled [Re: johnp]
johnp Offline

Loc: florida
i want to thank you all for your help, i read a report that put things altogether for me. it was ez for me when i got my first babies(harley&lasey)to they were babies i was able to bond with them right away, thanks to the owner,any way,after i read that post on bondinng i look at him in a diffrent light, he didnt know me as some one who wanted to love him, the other owners never handled him.so i put one of mmy shirts in his cage,so he could get used to me,and every morning i go to the cage and tell him good mornin and that things are ok,i am now able to put my hand in the cage and he will come and get it with out biteing me, i told my self i will let him come to me. he has to turst me. and in his way he is. once again ty all

#1088480 - 03/21/11 11:23 PM Re: taming a new full grown glider never handled [Re: johnp]
lovely1inred
Unregistered

That is such good news John! He'll make little steps each day that will be so rewarding for you!

Moderator:  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver, Philwojo 
Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online
4 registered (Terry, Jez, catdaddyharms, Ladymagyver), 31 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Owner, Admin, Mod
Newest Members
reba, AlyCatz, mandydarr, FinFiFuFe, Angelicat26
6389 Registered Users
Forum Stats
11 posts in the last 24hrs
6389 Members
134 Forums
8903 Topics
147917 Posts

Max Online: 478 @ 07/15/07 01:24 AM
Last 10 New Topics
Bare Tail Question
by kskill99
Today at 04:57 PM
Took in a glider from my Ex
by New_Guy
Today at 12:11 AM
Should breeding pairs ever be separated?
by AlyCatz
Yesterday at 04:53 AM
Twitchy tale movements
by FinFiFuFe
10/20/17 12:29 AM
Looking for vet recommendation, Atlanta
by Jen_faith
10/19/17 08:40 PM
First time glider owner looking for wisdom
by
10/19/17 03:36 PM
Older Male/Joey Female or Older Female?