Sugar Glider Community Calendar

Please click here to see larger view
More coming soon!!
Today's Birthdays
Featured Member
Registered: 08/07/17
Posts: 4
Last 10 Posts
Dear Crabby
by Hutch
10:27 AM
Hubby said yes!
by KarenE
10:10 AM
by KarenE
10:06 AM
Joeys and parents long term?
by KarenE
10:04 AM
Double Critter Nation bedding ?
by Alan
09:19 AM
Melanistic Gliders
by Hutch
02:48 AM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by Kp3690
08/20/17 08:30 PM
by Terry
08/20/17 04:08 PM
Round 3 the swelling starts
by Terry
08/20/17 04:06 PM
"Homemade" yogie treats
by KarenE
08/20/17 10:04 AM

Join Us On Facebook
Topic Options
#1179600 - 10/07/11 12:15 AM Importing from the USA to Canada?

Hey everyone!

I was once a glider owner many years ago and I think that now its time I get another pair. I miss my last pair a lot and now that I'm moving into my own place its time to get another pair!

Right now I breed hedgehogs as a hobby and I get my hedgehogs shipped in from BeachBumHedgehogs, I am really familiar with this breeder and we do lots of business with her. She has really pretty joeys, im particularly interested in two Leu joeys, I love there coloring and I think there absolutely stunning.

My question is, what are the laws with importing Sugar Gliders into Canada from the USA? We get hedgehogs imported all the time and the process for them is they need to be sent with a health certificate from the breeders vet stating they are healthy and able to cross, then we have to meet with a vet at the border to have them inspected, then we pay the tax for them to cross (We need proof of purchase like a receipt or invoice to). How does it go with gliders? Does anyone know there process? Who can I call to get more information?

We would be driving down to Seattle airport to pick them up so we would drive across the border with them.

I seen that there was a thread started a while back but it was locked and the conclusion to it wasn't posted.

Thanks! smile

Edited by HappyHedgies (10/07/11 12:18 AM)

Current Research, Studies & Resources
#1179603 - 10/07/11 12:27 AM Re: Importing from the USA to Canada? [Re: ]
wildlifeangel Offline
Glider Slave

Registered: 11/25/08
Posts: 1414
Loc: Minneapolis, MN
I don't believe that the rules for gliders differ from the rules for hedgehogs. If you follow those rules, and ask customs if there is anything additional, it should be fine.

:rtmo: :leu: :bb: :cream: :plat:

#1179649 - 10/07/11 06:41 AM Re: Importing from the USA to Canada? [Re: ]
SarahSuggies Offline
Glider Lover

Registered: 07/20/10
Posts: 549
Loc: Wisconsin

I am currently going through the process here in the US to ship gliders to Canada. It has been a long some what frustrating process for me (the breeder) but now that I am on the right track I will be set to ship gliders out of the US from here going forward. Pretty soon my sweet girls will be on their way to thier new mommy who has been very understanding through this whole ordeal.

As a breeder I have to have a licenses with the US Fish & Wildlife which is $100 in order to ship/fly them into Canada. There is also a seperate expensive inspection that is required by a Fish & Wildlife agent before the glider can leave the country which is $165. They will help me fill out a declaration and off the gliders go to Canada. This is in addition to the health certificate required by the vet.

We looked at meeting at the border too at one of the port crossing as an option. If I (the breeder) took the animal into Canada I would still have to have the license and pay for the inspection fee but if the adopting family crossed the border and declared the animal as a pet and took them back north across the border all they would do is fill out a declaration on the US side, no fees. Fish and Wildlife on the US side would not require a health certificate before the animal could cross the border but they would want to come a see the glider before it crossed the border.

I do not recall Canada even requiring a Health Certificate from my conversation with them but rather a letter from the breeder on their letterhead stating that the animal was born in the US and had resided in the US for 60 days. You are right once you cross back into Canada a vet at the border may choose to do an examination on that animal and charge you. This is the same once the animal gets off a plane.

I another thing to consider or one of the most important things is that you can not cross the border without a passport. Of course I am sure you already knew this but without it crossing is not a possibility.

I hope this was helpful.

:bb: :wfb: :rtmo: :grey: :leu:


Moderator:  Feather, KarenE, Philwojo 
Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Who's Online
2 registered (Ladymagyver, KarenE), 18 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Owner, Admin, Mod
Newest Members
Glidermike, BeardedGlider, saharasnow, Louise, MzT3xdafun
6306 Registered Users
Forum Stats
12 posts in the last 24hrs
6306 Members
134 Forums
8814 Topics
147050 Posts

Max Online: 478 @ 07/15/07 01:24 AM
Last 10 New Topics
Hubby said yes!
by Ladymagyver
10:02 AM
by Feather
08:37 PM
Joeys and parents long term?
by Pigbat
01:56 PM
Double Critter Nation bedding ?
by Kp3690
11:35 AM
by Feather
08/19/17 10:14 PM
"Homemade" yogie treats
by sugarfluff
08/19/17 05:44 PM
Joey or Full grown
by kinn2388
08/16/17 09:43 AM
How could I help this glider?
by MomoShiva
08/15/17 05:21 PM
One day too late
by CrypticDelirium
08/15/17 03:06 PM
a strange Diabetic question
by mechnut450
08/15/17 11:37 AM
(Views)Popular Topics
I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! 20200268
Spencer needs your prayers/good thoughts 12461107
TEXAS 626389
Pitbull biter needs advice/help 560958
OHIO 482974
Member Titles 431369
URGENT - Genetic Flaw discovered 322878
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!