Featured Member
Last 10 Posts
RIP Spencer
by Srlb
06:05 AM
Another Prolapsed cloaca
by Cherylr1995
03:57 AM
My Caramel Gliders anything I need to know about neutering?
by Feather
11:08 PM
New odor issue??
by Feather
11:06 PM
Three weeks in, first timer, questions .
by Feather
11:04 PM
Recipe for glider yogi's please!
by Ladymagyver
10:53 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 5
by Ladymagyver
10:50 PM
Dear Crabby
by Feather
05:31 PM
Is a glider right for me?
by Feather
05:21 PM
Blindnedd in red eye gliders
by Srlb
12/10/17 10:54 AM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Topic Options
#1199716 - 12/03/11 05:10 PM Need Help!! Dehydration/Ensure Question!!
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis

Loc: USA
Badger has been having issues for a few days. I got him in to his vet today. I am reposting what I put on F/B when we got home.

Badger is back from the hospital. His only anal gland was so swollen the poo had backed up and couldn't come out. He had minor surgery to open the anal gland. He has bacteria in it and infection. The anal gland was left open to drain for app. 1 1/2 wks and he is back on the injectionable antibiotics again, this time for 14 days. (twice a day)

He got 6 cc's of sub-q fluids as he was dehydrated again. His blood pressure dropped too low under the anesthesia to do a blood draw today so will try that on next appt. in app. 2 weeks.

I have to keep debriding any scab that starts to form on his anal gland and use Q-tips to apply peroxide to it.

He might need to get this anal gland removed also. I hope not.

His weight has dropped down to 119 grams, he needs to gain weight back up to the 140 to 150 range for his build/bones.

He is weak and bleeding but it's mostly pus mixed with blood but still looks VERY scary!! He also has to be seperated from his girls. frown I'll give them time together under supervision at night and a little during the day though. He is already acting HUNGRY!! smile

Please keep praying for him!! Prayers are working!! HUGS!!

QUESTION!! Since Badger WAS dehydrated, is it safe to give him Ensure since he is not dehydrated now?

The reason he got dehydrated was because he was backed up and didn't want to eat or drink but now he CAN.

Since Badger can only have MOSTLY liquids, Ensure is his favorite. He does NOT have the front top and bottom front teeth and I have to make more PML but he LOVES Ensure.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.

#1199719 - 12/03/11 05:19 PM Re: Need Help!! Dehydration/Ensure Question!! [Re: SugarBlossoms]
Feather Offline
Administrator

Loc: Wisconsin
I would only give it if you are sure that he isn't dehydrated.

Have you tried giving him avocado, maybe mush it up and add some juice to it for make it the consistency he can eat.

If you do give him ensure make sure he is taking in plenty of water of juice or it will constipate him and make matters worse.
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

#1199720 - 12/03/11 05:22 PM Re: Need Help!! Dehydration/Ensure Question!! [Re: SugarBlossoms]
CB_pouchpilot Offline
Out of Pouch

Loc: Munford, Tennessee
I would personally give him the ensure with extra water or juice. He likes it and it is comforting, with what he's been through alittle can't hurt. Besides he won't drink it if he don't want it. I woud also be giving him his favorite pouch and lots of extra checking in on him.

Edited by CB_pouchpilot (12/03/11 05:28 PM)

Kryssi I know I stole ya, you were special beyond words.

#1199743 - 12/03/11 06:47 PM Re: Need Help!! Dehydration/Ensure Question!! [Re: SugarBlossoms]
hypnotist321 Offline
Glider Explorer

Loc: Mo
How did the little guy get in this state? (Prayers, of course, the poor little baby).

#1199762 - 12/03/11 07:34 PM Re: Need Help!! Dehydration/Ensure Question!! [Re: Feather]
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Loc: Washington D.C. Metro Area
Originally Posted By: Feather
I would only give it if you are sure that he isn't dehydrated.

Have you tried giving him avocado, maybe mush it up and add some juice to it for make it the consistency he can eat.

If you do give him ensure make sure he is taking in plenty of water of juice or it will constipate him and make matters worse.

This is good advice - just make sure he is absolutely not dehydrated. I know he was sub-q'd but it doesn't mean that he'll remain hydrated so I think I'd try some other things that he likes, as well, so that you have other options to keep him eating.

So very sorry he's going through this. Sending good thoughts your way and hug2 to little Badger.

www.gliderchef.com

www.thejumpinmonkey.com

#1199800 - 12/03/11 08:54 PM Re: Need Help!! Dehydration/Ensure Question!! [Re: SugarBlossoms]
Sherri Offline
Glider Addict

Loc: Big Sandy TN
I'm so sorry that Badger is going through yet another hard time. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers!

Forever home to a wide variety of animals, domestic, farm and exotic.
My passion is my little suggie sweethearts! 731-441-9814

http://www.newbysglidernook.com/index.html

#1199803 - 12/03/11 09:01 PM Re: Need Help!! Dehydration/Ensure Question!! [Re: Sherri]
sitkasmom Offline
Glider Addict

Loc: Finally in the Mountains!
Did the vet mention something you could use to get him to eat? Maybe some chicken babyfood, and some other veggie and fruit baby foods? Just to get him to get something on his tummy?

Of course I am a new owner, but just thought I would suggestion something because of his teeth and his bottom...

If he wont eat maybe you could call your vet for suggestions?

Two Boys
Sitka,
Pudge

Monkeys:
Nanuk, Dayz & Elfie
MudBug & Tista
Teemo & Rune (Cyndra gangel )
Lils, Razz & Nut

#1199806 - 12/03/11 09:05 PM Re: Need Help!! Dehydration/Ensure Question!! [Re: sitkasmom]
sitkasmom Offline
Glider Addict

I do hope the little booger gets better smile I will pray for him and you... hug2

Two Boys
Sitka,
Pudge

Monkeys:
Nanuk, Dayz & Elfie
MudBug & Tista
Lils, Razz & Nut

#1199860 - 12/03/11 11:05 PM Re: Need Help!! Dehydration/Ensure Question!! [Re: SugarBlossoms]
Guerita135 Offline
Glider Addict

Loc: Ohio
I've given a dehydrated glider Ensure before, but I halved it with Gatorade/Pedialyte to make sure the glider got hydration at the same time.

I wouldn't recommend feeding ANYTHING to a severely dehydrated glider though. Only give him water or juice if he's really bad.

Best of luck with your little boy and I hope he heals up quickly and is back to his normal self soon. :hugs:

Proudly enslaved by lots of silly suggies, 3 crazy kitties, a huffy hedgie, and a pretty puppy! grin

#1199870 - 12/03/11 11:25 PM Re: Need Help!! Dehydration/Ensure Question!! [Re: Guerita135]
sitkasmom Offline
Glider Addict

Do you have an e-jacket for him? Just in case?

If you dont Minkasmom makes them.

Its kinda like a papoose you wrap around so he cant chew on the spots that hurt... (My son called it a straighjacket for suggies, I'm sure minkasmom would get a giggle out of that)

Two Boys
Sitka,
Pudge

Monkeys:
Nanuk, Dayz & Elfie
MudBug & Tista
Lils, Razz & Nut

#1203859 - 12/12/11 11:52 PM Re: Need Help!! Dehydration/Ensure Question!! [Re: SugarBlossoms]
angelic4296 Offline
Glider Addict

Loc: Northeast U.S.
Hey hun, could you delete some of your PM's, I need to message ya lol...thanks so much!!!

2 spoiled gliders, Gizzy (6/05) and Ruthie (?/05) <3

Please consider rescuing first!

Please remember to complete your surveys at http://www.sugargroup.org/ - help better the lives of gliders everywhere smile

Moderator:  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver, Philwojo 
Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online
3 registered (Ladymagyver, KarenE, Sal305), 16 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Owner, Admin, Mod
Newest Members
Cherylr1995, SarasotaSugs, Lisa11, JessicaSound, MRK
6449 Registered Users
Forum Stats
43 posts in the last 24hrs
6450 Members
134 Forums
8989 Topics
148660 Posts

Max Online: 478 @ 07/15/07 01:24 AM
Last 10 New Topics
Recipe for glider yogi's please!
by Claralice
10:03 PM
My Caramel Gliders anything I need to know about neutering?
by Claralice
04:14 PM
Three weeks in, first timer, questions .
by Lisa11
04:42 AM
RIP Spencer
by Cora
12/11/17 04:58 PM
New odor issue??
by AlyCatz
12/08/17 05:37 PM
Lighter Gliders??
by AlyCatz
12/08/17 05:25 PM
Bing, bing, bing.... It's