Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
getting no where... again #1242553
03/24/12 10:12 PM
03/24/12 10:12 PM
new york
X
xxashleighannxx Offline OP
Glider Explorer
xxashleighannxx  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
X

new york
I don't know how to bond with rilee. I can't use a bonding pouch because she's chewing through everything! I sat by the cage forever when I first got them but they're use to me now. I'm afraid to let her roam my body, or let her in my shirt because she bites like crazy. And during tent time tonight, she bit my feet and ran away. Only coming to me for a treat and then again ran. Bandits the sweetest little boy. Why is she so difficult???

Momma of
Bandit and Rilee :grey:
Ozzy :wfb: <3
Re: getting no where... again [Re: xxashleighannxx] #1242561
03/24/12 10:47 PM
03/24/12 10:47 PM
Peoria, Illinois
uhoh Offline
Glider Lover
uhoh  Offline
Glider Lover

Peoria, Illinois
well kiddo, some gliders just don't bond. i first got my jayhana 7 years ago and he is totally bonded to me, my love!
then 5 years ago i got Chingu. I've tried many many things and cannot get the little guy to warm up to me at all. He did one time when in the bathroom he was sitting on a hanging towel and i dropped a plastic cup, scared him so bad he came to me, but seeing as keeping him in fear to get some affection doesn't sound like a good idea, i've resigned myself to the fact that i bought my pet jayhana his own personal pet, and i think he should give me a suggie kiss every day for doing that for him.

Becci

"Today is a gift, that's why it is called the present."
Re: getting no where... again [Re: xxashleighannxx] #1242568
03/24/12 11:08 PM
03/24/12 11:08 PM
Washington D.C. Metro Area
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Ashleigh - it's been a short time since you got Rilee - you need to be patient. Some gliders just bond quicker than others, but don't lose hope so soon.

Re: getting no where... again [Re: xxashleighannxx] #1242571
03/24/12 11:26 PM
03/24/12 11:26 PM
Panama City, FL
mmatt Offline
Glider Slave
mmatt  Offline
Glider Slave

Panama City, FL
Please be patient...Ruby was my crabby girl ( and still pouch crabs). It has taken me over a year to gain her trust and she still runs hot and cold but when she's giving me kisses it's worth the patience! And if I don't have on socks, she still bites my feet...lol. I just wear socks! Rilee will come around, she may or may not be a cuddle glider but she'll love and trust you eventually I'm sure.

Mary
Mom to Max :grey: , Cynder :wfb: ,Polar :rtmo: ,Toby :grey: and my 5 barkers...Cinnamon, Piper, Sandy and Charley
Re: getting no where... again [Re: xxashleighannxx] #1242614
03/25/12 10:25 AM
03/25/12 10:25 AM
Bristol, Va
MissSarah Offline
Glider Addict
MissSarah  Offline
Glider Addict

Bristol, Va
Saying "He's so sweet. Why is she so difficult?" is kinda like if your Mom said "Why can't you be more like your brother??" :rofl2: All gliders are individuals with unique thoughts and feelings. What took Bandit a short time to understand may have Riley still feeling uneasy.

My little Dora used to bite me when she first came to live with me. It was baffling to me because in the tent, she would seek me out specifically to give me a good, hard nip. She would smell my skin, cock her head to the side, and then bite. She never broke the skin, thank goodness, but it still didn't feel good.

And we didn't even have to be in the tent! Once my foot got too close to her cage screen and she bit the dickens out of my big toe.

For Dora, she was sending me the signal that I was moving too fast. I backed way off and gave her some time. After a while passed, I tried tent time again and she did much better. It really is all about patience and understanding with these guys.

You'll get there with your little one. hug2

Proud Mom to Princess Pim The Insane. heart(and several other babies, skin and fur.)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. Gliders have indentured servants.

:rbridge: Dexter. You left blueberry stains on my wall and pawprints on my heart. I love you Decker-Boy. heart
Full Moon Gliders
(Under Construction)

Re: getting no where... again [Re: xxashleighannxx] #1242635
03/25/12 12:13 PM
03/25/12 12:13 PM
Brooksville, Florida
SugarBattyPatty Offline
Glider Guardian
SugarBattyPatty  Offline
Glider Guardian

Brooksville, Florida
I am having the same problem but I think I have realized what is causing it. I have 3 dogs and a cat that are always sitting on me and I think my babies don't like their smells. I am having to get into the habit of putting sanitizer on my hands and changing into a housecoat when we have tent time. It seems to be making a difference or maybe they are just getting used to me. Don't know for sure but I'll keep trying. They crawl all over me, I'm just not feelin the LUV. But it is very soon for them so I am being patient.

SugarBattyPatty
AKA Pat
Mommy to: Sparky :wfb: and Precious :wfb:
Gizmo :wfb:

There is no sin in being ignorant, there is in remaining ignorant.
Re: getting no where... again [Re: SugarBattyPatty] #1242713
03/25/12 04:30 PM
03/25/12 04:30 PM
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Originally Posted By: SugarBattyPatty
I am having the same problem but I think I have realized what is causing it. I have 3 dogs and a cat that are always sitting on me and I think my babies don't like their smells. I am having to get into the habit of putting sanitizer on my hands and changing into a housecoat when we have tent time. It seems to be making a difference or maybe they are just getting used to me. Don't know for sure but I'll keep trying. They crawl all over me, I'm just not feelin the LUV. But it is very soon for them so I am being patient.

Just want to touch on this a bit. In my home, when going between gliders (excluding rescues in quarantine, of course), dogs or other things here in the house, I don't make any changes or special arrangements for my gliders. What happens when you wash your hands each and every time you do something you think might bother your gliders? They'll never get used to those smells. I can pet my dog, make dinner, fold laundry and many other things, then put my hand in any pouches in the house without issue.

My advice is not to worry so much about it.

Re: getting no where... again [Re: xxashleighannxx] #1242738
03/25/12 05:56 PM
03/25/12 05:56 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
I agree here. I don't make any special considerations like that for my gliders either. Smell, noises, everything is the same for them. They need to get used to you and their environment, that includes all the smells and sounds.

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: getting no where... again [Re: xxashleighannxx] #1242766
03/25/12 07:28 PM
03/25/12 07:28 PM
new york
X
Glider Explorer
Glider Explorer
X

new york
I know, I'm being patient, its frustrating, we go 3 steps forward and 100 steps back. Should I just do tent time with Bandit until she comes around? I know she might no be a cuddler like bandit, but I want her to STOP biting me. Lol she latches on like crazy! Enough to draw blood, and sometimes makes whereeer she bites go numb. Even if were just in the tent, or if I reach my hand in to get the dished.

Lol @ mmatt, I wear socks and she still gets me, I'm gonna start wearing slippers in there.

I work in a pizza place so I always smell like pizza, they don't seem to mind. Even when I cuddle with my kitties they don't seem to mind. smile

Momma of
Re: getting no where... again [Re: xxashleighannxx] #1242772
03/25/12 07:43 PM
03/25/12 07:43 PM
New Jersey
etrnalsunshinee Offline
Glider Slave
etrnalsunshinee  Offline
Glider Slave

New Jersey
Smelling like food is a HUGE reason for biting, and although it may not affect Bandit in that way it may be affecting Rilee. Try blowing lightly when she bites, this could help discourage her. Good luck! She'll come around hug2

Amy

:wfb: Micah
:wfb: Momo
Re: getting no where... again [Re: xxashleighannxx] #1242774
03/25/12 07:51 PM
03/25/12 07:51 PM
new york
X
Glider Explorer
Glider Explorer
X

new york
I would have never thought of that! Ill have to start showering before tent time instead of after.

Momma of
Re: getting no where... again [Re: xxashleighannxx] #1242794
03/25/12 08:48 PM
03/25/12 08:48 PM
Butte, Mt. USA
lilangels Offline
Glider Addict
lilangels  Offline
Glider Addict

Butte, Mt. USA
ashleigh my little prince was awful about biting me. I swore I would never be able to touch him without him drawing blood. He has turned into a pretty sweet glider now. He still occassionally nips at me but most of the time he is sweet. he just took way longer and a way slower approach than any of my other gliders. So don't give up your baby will come around eventually. Start wearing shoes for tent time...lol.

Connie: soon to be wife to Harold, mom to 3 children, 2 precious kitties, and my treasured gliders.
Re: getting no where... again [Re: xxashleighannxx] #1243061
03/26/12 05:21 PM
03/26/12 05:21 PM
Saint Louis MO
xSwtxSugaX Offline
Glider Addict
xSwtxSugaX  Offline
Glider Addict

Saint Louis MO
Have your tried licky treats? This helped me tremendously with my crabby glider. She now grooms me every chance she can get.

"The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals"

*Stitch* :grey: *Button* :wfb: *Charlie* :leu:

Cats: Rista and Cali

~*Stacie*~
Re: getting no where... again [Re: xxashleighannxx] #1243072
03/26/12 05:52 PM
03/26/12 05:52 PM
new york
X
Glider Explorer
Glider Explorer
X

new york
Yeah but she just latches on. Lol

Momma of
Re: getting no where... again [Re: xxashleighannxx] #1243125
03/26/12 08:48 PM
03/26/12 08:48 PM
Saint Louis MO
xSwtxSugaX Offline
Glider Addict
xSwtxSugaX  Offline
Glider Addict

Saint Louis MO
Does she lick then bite? or just bite off the bat?

"The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals"

~*Stacie*~
Re: getting no where... again [Re: xxashleighannxx] #1243127
03/26/12 08:57 PM
03/26/12 08:57 PM
new york
X
Glider Explorer
Glider Explorer
X

new york
Shell sniff, then bite.

Momma of
Re: getting no where... again [Re: xxashleighannxx] #1243169
03/26/12 10:18 PM
03/26/12 10:18 PM
Saint Louis MO
xSwtxSugaX Offline
Glider Addict
xSwtxSugaX  Offline
Glider Addict

Saint Louis MO
What do you usually use for a licky treat? Have you changed it up at all? Sometimes gliders dont like certains thing. Maybe you need to use something extra yummy wink

~*Stacie*~
Re: getting no where... again [Re: xxashleighannxx] #1243245
03/27/12 08:19 AM
03/27/12 08:19 AM
new york
X
Glider Explorer
Glider Explorer
X

new york
I've tried honey, but they don't like it. I've done yogurt, again its wicked hard to find a flavor they like. I haven't tried applesauce. I'm not sure what else I could use?

Momma of
Re: getting no where... again?? Try at ALL here! [Re: xxashleighannxx] #1243754
03/28/12 10:54 PM
03/28/12 10:54 PM
Saint Augustine, FL
SonGoku Offline
SonGoku  Offline

Saint Augustine, FL
I can SO relate to your lament. We're going on a month since we found Queen Juliana, and she still seems uninterested in anything. She's healthy, vet said so anyway, runs around her new, HUGE cage quite friskily, but other than pet her, I am nothing more than the maid/food bag. I know I have to be patient and consistent, but when I see absolutely NO change...what do I do??

I'm starting to think I've gotten myself in WAY over my head with Juliana. I'm used to cats, I have no problems with even the wildest, meanest cat, I can win any over within a matter of a week. Yet I can't seem to gain this little one's attention let alone her trust. I do plan on getting a small tent next week for Juliana to run around in, a last shot at this and I will remain hopeful. ANY other advice, suggestions, ideas...THANK YOU in advance. I really don't want to give Juliana up, I've grown VERY fond of her...even if the feeling is not mutual.

Re: getting no where... again?? Try at ALL here! [Re: xxashleighannxx] #1243793
03/29/12 07:08 AM
03/29/12 07:08 AM
Georgia
C
CathyMetcalf Offline
Glider Explorer
CathyMetcalf  Offline
Glider Explorer
C

Georgia
SonGoku, I would get my babies out in their pouch they were sleeping in and wear them around my neck for a couple hours every morning and every evening for a couple of hours before their normal get up time. At first when i would look in at them they would be awake. I just rub the bag and talk to them LOTS, rub and talk, rub and talk. I would offer them yogert on the spoon when i was preparing the pups breakfast (they get a spoon of plain yogert). I just stick the spoon in the pouch and they started licking it up, then i learned about mealies and got some of those, they would actually come to the top of the pouch to get them. It took several weeks before they trusted me enough to sleep while i carried them around. *please other members don't get on me for what i'm about to say* FOR ME ONLY, I didn't like the tent. I'm to old and stiff to crawl in it, I got to #$%^^ hot in there ( i did get one and used it once). So I started converting a bedroom to be their room. In the meantime I carried them in the pouch, well after a couple of months, yes months, they started to trust me and now 4 months later when i go in their room and open the cage door, they all run to me and jump out on me, run all over me, get down and play and then come back and run on me again. *they are probably looking for the mealies they know i have his on my person somewhere* ROFL . anyway, what works for one maybe a little different for another. but time and patience and love works for all smile don't forget the mealies, they love, love, love them. they will forget any fears to get them. If they have never had them you have to break them in half, they will be hooked for life then. Oh and if you make them a room of their own and you can't get them back in the cage when you need them to go this is what you do...get a mealie or a yogie and your pouch, talk softly hold the pouch in front of them, dangle the treat in front of the pouch, when they come to the pouch just slide their little fuzz butt right on in the pouch give them their treat and they will munch away happily safe and sound in the pouch ..hope this helps.

Re: getting no where... again?? Try at ALL here! [Re: xxashleighannxx] #1244726
04/01/12 11:07 PM
04/01/12 11:07 PM
United States
C
Coconut Offline
Joey Member
Coconut  Offline
Joey Member
C

United States
I think I'm pretty clever, but I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it. I got my babies a couple of months ago, and they were pretty friendly but of course I wasn't their "home". So I started stuffing them in my hoodie sweatshirt in the big pocket in the front. They love it!!! They love the pocket probably more than me. Sometimes they love being in the pocket more than they love running around my house.
Just an idea to try.

Re: getting no where... again?? Try at ALL here! [Re: Coconut] #1244793
04/02/12 09:19 AM
04/02/12 09:19 AM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Originally Posted By: Coconut
I think I'm pretty clever, but I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it. I got my babies a couple of months ago, and they were pretty friendly but of course I wasn't their "home". So I started stuffing them in my hoodie sweatshirt in the big pocket in the front. They love it!!! They love the pocket probably more than me. Sometimes they love being in the pocket more than they love running around my house.
Just an idea to try.

You should look into one of these as well! Since they like your hoodie pocket, this sweatshirt has a special bonding pouch sewn in, and you still have use of your own pocket! They also can't get out because it zips closed. wink Hoodies & T-Shirts

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024