by Feather
05:59 PM
RIP Spencer
by Hutch
09:39 AM
Is a glider right for me?
by Hutch
09:31 AM
Three weeks in, first timer, questions .
by Hutch
09:28 AM
My Caramel Gliders anything I need to know about neutering?
by Feather
11:08 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 5
by Ladymagyver
10:50 PM
Dear Crabby
by Feather
05:31 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Topic Options
#1246989 - 04/09/12 03:10 PM Older Gliders bonding with multiple People
TxSuggies Offline
Joey Member

Loc: North Texas
So, I have two boy gliders. One is father and one is son. The older one is around 2 years old and the younger is now about 10 months old and we've had them a bit over a month now. They have both been super sweet always; with the exception of the random, non-aggressive biting the father does sometimes - but I don't think it is meanness, I think he just likes to bite things sometimes and sometimes it happens to be me.

Anyhow; both gliders are happy to get on me or my son, who is 9, and climb around. They let us pet them. They never, ever have crabbed or lunged at either of us.

I don't think that either glider is especially bonded to either of us. I think the younger one is starting to bond to me. The older one might be - but I'm just not sure.

Is it confusing for them to have two people handle them and try to bond with them? Can they bond with two people?

The thing is, they are my babies. I love my son dearly - but these little guys are mine. I don't think he is ready to be responsible for them on his own at all yet. He loves them and is VERY good with them, thankfully as my hubby is a bit scared of them and I've needed help sometimes. Even our vet mentioned how great my kiddo was with them (made me glad to she thought so). BUT....if they are going to bond with only one person I need and want it to be me. (Is that selfish?)

He wants to hold them sometimes when they are in the bonding pouch and I usually say no unless I'm cleaning the cage or something and don't want them on me. I say no b/c I don't want to confuse the babies. Am I wrong in doing so? (also, just to mention, my son is never left alone with the gliders as he is JUST 9 and while he is good with them...he is 9...and well, 9 year old boys sometimes seem to have their brains turn off for a second or two now and then....and I know he'd never forgive himself if anything happened and neither would I)

So - bottom line, can gliders - especially ones that aren't babies anymore, bond with more than one person at a time?

My happy trio: Widget,Bink & The Doc

As well as one human kid, a Boston terrier, two Andalusians, 7 cats, a leopard gecko, two red eared sliders, and too many fishies to count!! Plus a hubby who puts up with us all.

#1247058 - 04/09/12 06:27 PM Re: Older Gliders bonding with multiple People [Re: TxSuggies]
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Loc: Washington D.C. Metro Area
There is absolutely no reason at all that your son can't also have time with the gliders, I think this is a fine idea. If you assume the majority of responsibilities, the gliders will know that. And clearly they already do, if they allow you to do the things they do. And honestly, having others spend some time with your gliders, play with them, hold them - only serves to help socialize them and get them used to others. I think it's great. smile

www.gliderchef.com

www.thejumpinmonkey.com

#1247092 - 04/09/12 09:04 PM Re: Older Gliders bonding with multiple People [Re: TxSuggies]
TxSuggies Offline
Joey Member

Loc: North Texas
Ok, good. I just didn't want to confuse issues at all with them. smile

My happy trio: Widget,Bink & The Doc

As well as one human kid, a Boston terrier, two Andalusians, 7 cats, a leopard gecko, two red eared sliders, and too many fishies to count!! Plus a hubby who puts up with us all.

#1247127 - 04/09/12 10:44 PM Re: Older Gliders bonding with multiple People [Re: TxSuggies]
MamaBird Offline
Glider Lover

Loc: Georgia
I feel they should bond with the whole family. Mine definitely know I'm Mama, but are bonding well with my husband, 4.5 y/o son, the nanny, and 2 of my friends who visit regularly.
They have the strongest bond with me, but I feel since in the wild they would live in colonies of as many 16, that they can and will bond with multiple people.
I personally want them to be well socialized so other people can see them and handle them a bit, but, like so many things with gliders, I think it's your choice and what works for you!
The Boys: Joby, Tyrion and Momo

:grey: :grey: :rtmo: :leu:

#1247133 - 04/09/12 11:31 PM Re: Older Gliders bonding with multiple People [Re: TxSuggies]
EJB17 Offline
Glider Lover

Loc: Maryland, my Maryland.
I think that even though gliders can really strongly bond with just one person, they still can get to know and like other people.. which I would say is a form of bonding. All my gliders know and like my boyfriend and will let him handle them, although if something "scary" happens like a big noise or sound, they will hop over onto me to hide.. I don't think allowing him to handle them will confuse them, it will just open their horizons if you know what I mean.

Moderator:  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver, Philwojo 
Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online
1 registered (AlyCatz), 16 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Owner, Admin, Mod
Newest Members
Cherylr1995, SarasotaSugs, Lisa11, JessicaSound, MRK
6449 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30 posts in the last 24hrs
6450 Members
134 Forums
8991 Topics
148688 Posts

Max Online: 478 @ 07/15/07 01:24 AM
Last 10 New Topics
Injured Tail W/No Vet Instru/Help!
by
03:57 AM
Recipe for glider yogi's please!
by Claralice
10:03 PM
My Caramel Gliders anything I need to know about neutering?
by Claralice
04:14 PM
Three weeks in, first timer, questions .
by Lisa11
04:42 AM
RIP Spencer
by Cora
12/11/17 04:58 PM
New odor issue??
by AlyCatz
12/08/17 05:37 PM
Lighter Gliders??
by AlyCatz
12/08/17 05:25 PM
Bing, bing, bing.... It's