Sugar Glider Community Calendar

Please click here to see larger view
Articles
More coming soon!!
Today's Birthdays
Sherri
Featured Member
Last 10 Posts
Three weeks in, first timer, questions .
by Terry
0 seconds ago
Self Mutilating
by Ladymagyver
5 minutes 45 seconds ago
Injured Tail W/No Vet Instru/Help!
by Terry
27 minutes 5 seconds ago
Another Prolapsed cloaca
by Terry
55 minutes 1 second ago
Grieving sugar glider
by Firefly
Today at 08:36 PM
BML Help
by Feather
Today at 05:32 PM
Recipe for glider yogi's please!
by Ladymagyver
Today at 01:58 PM
Hi new to forum.
by durga
Today at 10:36 AM
New odor issue??
by AlyCatz
Yesterday at 10:56 PM
Lighter Gliders??
by Feather
Yesterday at 05:59 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Topic Options
#1375452 - 08/03/14 10:20 PM Help input please!!!!!
kittybaran Offline
Glider Explorer

Loc: arizona
My cancer glider Crab got into a hole in the wall the stupid contractor left. I had taped the dry wall in place until I could move all the gliders out to have the wall replace. Crab found it last night. I have put holes in the wall all over the place at different levels. I hear no noise amd I can hear house gecko barking in the walls. I've stung christmas light to light up the holes. There is not rhymn or reason to the placement of the 2x2s so her containment with in a specific area of the wall is unknown. I've place food inside the wall and have uncovered a hole in another room that I put there as a kid and covered it so my parents wouldn't find out and dropped the folding ladder in another room incase she had acsses to the attic. I've place food and water in both of those rooms. Still no Crab and I can't hear anything. Any suggestions as to how long I should wait to see if she shows up? Any idea on how to find her? And please, please prayer for her safe return. She does not eat bugs so she has no food source with in the wall. I'm worried sick. So are the other gliders. They all seem to know something is wrong.

#1375458 - 08/04/14 04:34 AM Re: Help input please!!!!! [Re: kittybaran]
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis

Loc: New Jersey
I have had no real experience in this, but I would not put lights by the holes. Gliders being nocturnal would avoid an area brightly lit, and you WANT her to come out of the holes. Thinking along those lines, I also would not put food IN the walls, not only will it attract bugs, but if she has food in there, why would she want to come out?

Put a pouch she likes and food and water outside the walls and away from the holes a bit to encourage her to come out.

Do not do any laundry or throw anything away until you find her.

Hopefully someone with more experience in this area will chime in with better help.

Praying for you and her.

Remember that God Loves You!

#1375467 - 08/04/14 07:51 AM Re: Help input please!!!!! [Re: kittybaran]
yiyo Offline
Serious Glideritis

Loc: Long Island, NY
Sorry to hear about your little one frown

I agree with the above. You'll want to coax her out of the walls so putting food inside or lights probably wouldn't help with that.

Any luck thru the night finding her?

"Moving on is a simple thing, what it leaves behind is hard."

#1375470 - 08/04/14 08:29 AM Re: Help input please!!!!! [Re: kittybaran]
kittybaran Offline
Glider Explorer

I don't hear anything in the walls. I put the lights in the wall to hoepfully draw her, because there is a tree in the bedroom with colored chrisrtmas lights on it. I will take the lights away, but I hear nothing. Its been 2 days and she is a glider who does not eat bugs. I've had this happen before in a house that was actuall constructed in an intellegent manner, so there was containment in. Rectangular sections and this house is not that way.
Juno had decided to enlarge a nail hole and I was able to tear out the dry wall and just grab him. Thank you for the input.

#1375482 - 08/04/14 03:06 PM Re: Help input please!!!!! [Re: kittybaran]
ApacheOEM Offline
In Pouch

Loc: Triad Area, North Carolina
Lack of water would become a problem for her before food would. These ideas might sound really far-fetched, but they might trigger another thought. All mammals despise the smell of adult male human urine. That scent will drive them away (old exterminator trick for getting raccoons and night squirrels to go 'anywhere else but where you are'). It has to be male and it has to be adult, but no small mamal will remain near it. I have a cheap wi-fi camera that will send an e-mail or a text when motion is detected - it is instantaneous and even a flutter sets it off. I could see potiential for that being useful. That camera is also has night vision - the slightest amount of light in pitch black can be seen - she can't hide her eyes from it. I am thinking about an apple slice / hunk of avocado / favorite food with a bell dangling that, if touched, will fall and be heard. There are also humane mouse traps at any walmart - they walk in after a treat and their weight closes the door behind - then she'll scream for you. Won't work if there is no room to work with or if she is too large. Blacklights are good - a little 75 watt incandescent blacklight bulb could help you without driveing her away. Is she friendly to you. If so, your stinky socks might help her find her way. Once she starts to panic a bit, she'll use her nose. Did you say you can/can't hear her barking in the wall? If I told my dog (part hound) to tell me where my suggie was, she dang sure would. Think about any sound, smell, sight that she would recognize as safety and use it to your advantage. Also, do not panic if you see her - she'll sense it and things could get tough. Does she have a mate? As tough as it sounds, if he's making distress sounds, she'll show up. Consider zipping him up in a bag near the hole you want her out in.

#1375495 - 08/04/14 07:25 PM Re: Help input please!!!!! [Re: kittybaran]
kittybaran Offline
Glider Explorer

My dear Crab is dead. I crawled into the nasty attic crawl space, covered in spiders, webs dust and heat. I found what appeared to be tracks on a pipe that lead to a hole where the pipe exited the house. I followed the pipe as it wrapped around the house and descended to the ground. I found her ant covered body under the orange tree. By the amount of decomp she was probably killed the morning she crawled through the hole in the wall. That explainss why I could not hear her in the walls.
Every glider is speacial, but some require more attention than others. Crab would not eat bugs [censored] all the other ones loved so I had to boil her chicken and turkey. She would not eat her food unless it was seperated so the different fruit and veggies were stacked in seperate piles and the meat could not tough the side dishes. This isn't all in my head I'm serious...this was who Crab was. I kept ensure as aa base food, because I always knew she would drink that if her system was upset . After the cancer surgery her glider family did want her so she was alone in the cage and she hated that. That's why every morning I got up at 3:30am to let her out of the cage to run and be nearer other gliders. I had the room glider proof, but I knew it was always a risk, but my concerns were that another glider may bite her not that a stupid incompetant contractor would put a hole in the wall and the super taped up drywall would fail. If I could only go back in time. frown.........

#1375500 - 08/04/14 08:01 PM Re: Help input please!!!!! [Re: kittybaran]
GliderNursery Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Loc: North Central Ohio
I'm so sorry for your loss. hug2

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

#1375513 - 08/05/14 06:30 AM Re: Help input please!!!!! [Re: kittybaran]
Ela11 Offline
Glider Explorer

Loc: Alabama
So sorry for your loss!

#1375515 - 08/05/14 06:54 AM Re: Help input please!!!!! [Re: kittybaran]
yiyo Offline
Serious Glideritis

Loc: Long Island, NY
hug2 hug2

"Moving on is a simple thing, what it leaves behind is hard."

#1375523 - 08/05/14 10:04 AM Re: Help input please!!!!! [Re: kittybaran]
Feather Offline
Administrator

Loc: Wisconsin
I am very sorry for your loss. May you find comfort and peace in your memories of her.

Glide Free Little Crab :rbridge:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

#1375532 - 08/05/14 01:11 PM Re: Help input please!!!!! [Re: kittybaran]
ApacheOEM Offline
In Pouch

Loc: Triad Area, North Carolina
I'm very sad to see this KittyBaran. - Rick

#1375537 - 08/05/14 03:07 PM Re: Help input please!!!!! [Re: ApacheOEM]
KarenE Offline
Owner

Loc: LittleRock, AR USA
So very sorry for your loss hug2

#1375572 - 08/06/14 05:27 AM Re: Help input please!!!!! [Re: kittybaran]
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis

Loc: New Jersey
I am so sorry frown

Remember that God Loves You!

#1376080 - 08/16/14 07:58 PM Re: Help input please!!!!! [Re: JillMarie]
Kesha Offline
Glider Explorer

Loc: Georgia
I'm sorry to hear about your lost. Remember the good memories. My prayers are with you.

Moderator:  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver, Philwojo 
Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online
5 registered (Terry, Ladymagyver, Lisa11, Firefly, AlyCatz), 21 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Owner, Admin, Mod
Newest Members
Sal305, Cherylr1995, SarasotaSugs, Lisa11, JessicaSound
6450 Registered Users
Forum Stats
25 posts in the last 24hrs
6450 Members
134 Forums
8995 Topics
148717 Posts

Max Online: 478 @ 07/15/07 01:24 AM
Last 10 New Topics
BML Help
by Alan
Today at 04:59 PM
Grieving sugar glider
by Firefly
Today at 01:04 PM
Self Mutilating
by Anonymous
Today at 11:26 AM
Injured Tail W/No Vet Instru/Help!
by
Yesterday at 03:57 AM
Recipe for glider yogi's please!
by Claralice
12/12/17 10:03 PM
My Caramel Gliders anything I need to know about neutering?
by Claralice
12/12/17 04:14 PM
Three weeks in, first timer, questions .
by Lisa11
12/12/17 04:42 AM
RIP Spencer
by Cora
12/11/17 04:58 PM
New odor issue??
by AlyCatz
12/08/17 05:37 PM
Lighter Gliders??
by AlyCatz
12/08/17 05:25 PM
(Views)Popular Topics