More coming soon!!
Today's Birthdays
jen102375, NatalieFuzzbutt, upsoon
Featured Member
Last 10 Posts
Took in a glider from my Ex
by New_Guy
Today at 12:11 AM
Should breeding pairs ever be separated?
by AlyCatz
Yesterday at 10:24 PM
Introducing Two Colonies
by Feather
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
Fruits and Veggies
by KarenE
Yesterday at 10:39 AM
Questions about following Critter Love diet exactly as written
by KarenE
Yesterday at 10:37 AM
My dog Willow
by Terry
10/21/17 06:36 PM
Too Soon To Say Goodbye, my Lulu
by Ladymagyver
10/21/17 05:44 AM
Twitchy tale movements
by Feather
10/20/17 04:15 PM
Looking for vet recommendation, Atlanta
by Feather
10/20/17 04:05 PM
Seeking a Bra Baby Glider for PTSD
by Ladymagyver
10/20/17 02:00 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Topic Options
#1386220 - 01/29/15 06:20 PM Future Trio!
Tiata Offline
In Pouch

Loc: Canada, Qc
Hi everyone! :D

So I'll try yo resume this quickly. In october, one of my females died (an accident, not health related) she had a joey ip. By some miracle, we saved the joey. She is now as healthy as can be and supper friendly! My first plan was to put her with her neutered older brother and an other female. But, I decided on something else. I drove to NY to pick up an other female to make a breeding trio in the future. I think (I'll have to double check) the female I went to go get at NY was OOP Oct 11th and Thea we started to hand raise the 14th of october. I introduced them a month ago, they loved each other at first sight. The eat together, sleep together, groom etc. Thea really helped Rayven adapt to her new home.

I'm very stressed knowing how hard trios can be! I've read allot about them. I read the three files about trios on GC (I plan on reading them again). But, they can kinda old and I'd like the most info if possible!
I want to know your experiences! Did your trio work? Where they sisters or not related at all? What age did you introduce them at? What age did you intro the male and how old was the male? Did they ever cannibalize any of the joeys before being okay? etc, etc! I really want to be as informed as I can!

Thank you and have a nice day :hdance:

Current Research, Studies & Resources
#1386222 - 01/29/15 07:43 PM Re: Future Trio! [Re: Tiata]
Terry Offline
Glider Addict

Loc: Maryland
Well, I've never bred or had intention to do so, but I do have a trio. I have my first pair, both females that I homed at around a year old, about two months age difference between them. They were from the same breeder and their adoptive family had them for almost a year before rehoming them. I had them well over a year when I homed a four year old neutered, and recently single male (his cage mate, a much older female had passed). I went ahead and did the 30 day quarantine and two fecal tests, even though I was sure he was okay. After the quarantine and second fecal was alright, I began the standard introduction procedure of scent swapping/mingling. I wasn't able to place their cages near each other or even in the same room, I also didn't do cage swap. I just used fleece blankies for mingling their scents and carried them in separate, single layered bonding pouches at the same time. After some time of doing that, I faced the screened windows face to face. They looked at each other and they were all quiet. After a few bonding visits like that, I introduced them, it took two tries, but done the same day. They have been together ever since, but now sometimes my boy has some "bully" issues, usually related to food. It's not serious, just fussing and chasing, but it sounds mean and I don't like my girls dealing with that. Apparently though, it's just the way of gliders and it happens sometimes, but not all the time. I'm lucky I guess that it hasn't escalated so far or hasn't been worse as I've read it can be in some cases. I'm just perplexed because they were like the three amigos for the first several months.

I know I didn't answer all your questions, but wanted to share my experience of having a trio and how it came about. With young joeys, you may find things are easier, I don't really know. dunno Also, my male is neutered and not being so may change things.

Do you mind me asking why you are breeding? I'm curious if you just want to experience it, or create a family colony, or if you want to sell.
2 Sugies, (Ollie & Skadoosh)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)

#1386264 - 01/30/15 05:30 PM Re: Future Trio! [Re: Tiata]
GliderNursery Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Loc: North Central Ohio
Typically, trios with different aged females don't work. As a general rule, sisters have worked better than non-related, but that is never a guarantee.

The only thing I can tell you is that no one ever really knows if a trio is going to work well or not. Unfortunately, all you can do is set one up in the best way possible (twin sisters/females of the same age) and hope for the best. When/if you experience pulled or cannibalized joeys, that is when you will know that it is a failed trio. At that point you have to decide whether to separate or to neuter the male.

I've had both, successful and unsuccessful breeding colonies.

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Moderator:  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver, Philwojo 
Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Owner, Admin, Mod
Newest Members
reba, AlyCatz, mandydarr, FinFiFuFe, Angelicat26
6389 Registered Users
Forum Stats
13 posts in the last 24hrs
6389 Members
134 Forums
8902 Topics
147908 Posts

Max Online: 478 @ 07/15/07 01:24 AM
Last 10 New Topics
Took in a glider from my Ex
by New_Guy
Today at 12:11 AM
Should breeding pairs ever be separated?
by AlyCatz
Yesterday at 04:53 AM
Twitchy tale movements
by FinFiFuFe
10/20/17 12:29 AM
Looking for vet recommendation, Atlanta
by Jen_faith
10/19/17 08:40 PM
First time glider owner looking for wisdom
by
10/19/17 03:36 PM
Older Male/Joey Female or Older Female?