Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Topic Options
#1389980 - 05/14/15 04:11 PM help with 2 rescued glider habits
mechnut450 Offline
Glider Lover

Loc: Delaware
So i have 2 rescued glider well it hard to do much with them. they both about 3 years old. The male is so scared he freaks out and jumps hos fat butt to the other side of the cage and wont' let you touch him. The female she almost complete opp. she comes running to your finger/hand( but she only interested in biting ) the tssh and no does not even seem to stop her . I want these guys to start geting use to me so the can spend time with me out and about. I need some idea on how to proceed with these two.

Th other 2 i got on the same day while in Dc area, are really the sweetest glider I seen the short tailed on ( she had it broken and amp in the fall) will come a running to me.and climbs right up the other is a little more reserved but will allow me to pet her.
Sterling :cream:
Kahless :rtmo:

rehomed and missed Sasha, Sammi, Elda,

My opinion is not endorsed or reflected by my employer or others they are my personal thoughts. If you have issues with my post take it up with me!!!!

Current Research, Studies & Resources
#1389984 - 05/14/15 08:42 PM Re: help with 2 rescued glider habits [Re: mechnut450]
Berg Offline
Glider Lover

Loc: Champaign Co., Illinois
The way to proceed with them is slowly and with a lot of patience. smile

How much do you know about their background? If nothing or not much, then you have to proceed giving them the benefit of the doubt. They may have been just neglected with little human contact, or worse. We have been in your situation with one we rescued about a year and a half ago. When we picked Flurry up he was 95 grams of terrified glider. The owner we got him from had seen him in a local pet store and he wasn't in good shape. She bought him to get him out of there. He had already been to one owner before being returned to the pet store.

It took 6 to 9 months of working with him before he was really comfortable with us. We strongly suspect he was abused at some point. We have no idea how old he is. Happily he is no longer afraid of us, but he is still wary about things at times. He is now part of a trio and a happy and hefty 135 grams (hefty at least compared to our other 5 gliders)!

We kept him in a cage by himself away from the other gliders initially. Each night we would go and talk to him quietly, and offered him mealworms. A big milestone for us was when he took a mealworm and didn't run to the back of the cage to eat it. My wife frequently carried him around during the day in a pouch. Each morning she would go in and offer him some yogurt to lick off of her finger. Eventually he grew to trust us.

And that is the key...building trust. He obviously is terrified and it's probably going to take some time before he comes around. You really can't compare him with your other gliders since they may have had entirely different experiences prior to coming to you.

Just be patient and consistent and he will come to trust you. Establish a routine with him so he knows what to expect. It may take a month, or it may take a lot longer. Don't rush things-let him set the pace. Don't give up on him and the results will be worth it.

Good luck!

:grey: Foehn, CB, Rossby, Sprite, Flurry, and Pascal

gangel Virga 9-10-2012
gangel Cirrus 4-29-2013

The Glider Chronicles blog

#1389985 - 05/14/15 10:02 PM Re: help with 2 rescued glider habits [Re: mechnut450]
mechnut450 Offline
Glider Lover

From the way the lady talked they been like this ever since she got them as Joeys 3 years ago. I am willing to work with them and go at a very slow pace.

My opinion is not endorsed or reflected by my employer or others they are my personal thoughts. If you have issues with my post take it up with me!!!!

#1390012 - 05/15/15 02:07 PM Re: help with 2 rescued glider habits [Re: mechnut450]
Feather Offline
Administrator

Loc: Wisconsin
Steve gave you some great advice, you are going to have to slow down and have a lot of patients with this pair.
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

#1390026 - 05/15/15 04:08 PM Re: help with 2 rescued glider habits [Re: mechnut450]
mechnut450 Offline
Glider Lover

Lol feather We are I actually think I may of found their ( all gliders weakness) honey sticks lo. I was giving treats in one hand and reaching under and up behind him in the pouch and petting him for a while until he realized it was me.

#1390093 - 05/17/15 10:56 PM Re: help with 2 rescued glider habits [Re: mechnut450]
Berg Offline
Glider Lover

Loc: Champaign Co., Illinois
Originally Posted By: mechnut450
From the way the lady talked they been like this ever since she got them as Joeys 3 years ago. I am willing to work with them and go at a very slow pace.

Well, my guess is if they were like that ever since she had them, she probably reinforced it by paying more attention to the socialized glider, and not really trying to deal with the scared little male figuring "he was just that way". ohwell

Keep at it - he will come around.

:grey: Foehn, CB, Rossby, Sprite, Flurry, and Pascal

gangel Virga 9-10-2012
gangel Cirrus 4-29-2013

The Glider Chronicles blog

#1390099 - 05/18/15 07:00 AM Re: help with 2 rescued glider habits [Re: mechnut450]
mechnut450 Offline
Glider Lover

I will I hoping my wife will get use them them around and never start in that they ready to move on to a new home ( she thinks ) That I only going to foster gliders I receive until a new home is found (cause she didn't pick the glider) I already told her I keeping my newest one ( 3 legged girl.) I figure that it had it hard enough in the 1.5 years it been alive. It gone from breeder, to owner one (were it foot was injured) owner 2( who had the amputation done and healing) Owner 3 (who had some issues) OWner four ( previous owner who has to move back home as mother is bad off due to cancer) and then Owner five ( me) so I figure that 6 people that this little girl been with so I keeping her.

Moderator:  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver, Philwojo 
Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online
2 registered (Hutch, Jen_faith), 22 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Owner, Admin, Mod
Newest Members
Amanda159, aalissa, Mio, Immelh, PipersMom
6382 Registered Users
Forum Stats
33 posts in the last 24hrs
6382 Members
134 Forums
8897 Topics
147853 Posts

Max Online: 478 @ 07/15/07 01:24 AM
Last 10 New Topics