by the gliders angel
05:43 AM
gr8pots
by Terry
10/16/17 09:21 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 5
by KarenE
10/16/17 10:10 AM
Can sugar gliders live in darkness or do they need a light in the day time?
by KarenE
10/16/17 10:05 AM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Topic Options
#1391828 - 07/12/15 08:54 PM Hissing & Clicking - Mating or in Heat?
SuggieGirl16 Offline
Joey Member

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
So last night I made a post about how after just putting my new male in the same cage as my female after days of supervised interactions and the thirty day quarantine period, they started mating. Almost right away. And as I previously stated, I had been concerned that she might get pregnant. Although I have decided to keep the male in the same cage as I wouldn't be too upset with having one or two more joeys. However, I have made an appointment to have him neutered in three weeks. Though for all I know she may already be pregnant, as I said they were mating last night. Now though I hear my female making a hissing (sort of a blowing through a straw kind of noise) and clicking noise. Could this possibly indicate that she is in heat? If she is in heat, I'm guessing that will greatly increase the likelihood of her getting pregnant? Also, are there any signs or symptoms of pregnancy that I should be looking for? Or is there no way to know until she gives birth and the joeys begin to mature in her pouch? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again and I am sorry for all of the probably amateur questions. I am just very nervous about all of this. Lucy as been my baby for almost three years now and I don't want anything to happen to her because of breeding or me not doing something I should be doing, or not recognizing something I should be recognizing, etc.

Mommy to

:grey: Lucy :wfb: Luka

:grey: Liam mlove

:rbridge: Casper and Leroy ~ Glide free babies!

Current Research, Studies & Resources
#1391836 - 07/13/15 11:31 AM Re: Hissing & Clicking - Mating or in Heat? [Re: SuggieGirl16]
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Loc: Kansas
She could be in heat. If you feel that she is, you can separate her from the male until her cycle passes. This can last anywhere from 3-7 days.

If you suspect that she is pregnant, I suggest that you read the following Suz Sugar Gliders - Breeding & Babies

#1391893 - 07/14/15 01:17 PM Re: Hissing & Clicking - Mating or in Heat? [Re: SuggieGirl16]
Feather Offline
Administrator

Loc: Wisconsin
Linda has given you some awesome advise. Please keep us posted on your two love birds, erm love sugar gliders. LOL
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

#1391899 - 07/14/15 01:30 PM Re: Hissing & Clicking - Mating or in Heat? [Re: SuggieGirl16]
SuggieGirl16 Offline
Joey Member

Update:

So I think she is "out of" heat now, they didn't mate last night to my knowledge. I, of course, still don't know if she is pregnant but I'll be keeping a close eye on her around the 26th and 27th, because if she is pregnant I'm guessing that is about the date she will give birth. As of right now the two are best buddies. They are just so cute together in the pouch all cuddled up. I can tell that she is definitely A LOT happier now that she has a friend. Makes me sad that I didn't adopt another glider sooner. I feel so bad that she spent the past three years not as happy as she could be. But better late than never! As far as the new little guy, he is just sweet as pie. Hasn't crabbed once or really bit me, only some tester nips lol. Definitely very food-oriented, I can win him over with a finger tip of honey haha! I've been doing lots of research the past few days on breeding and joeys. Still have a lot to do, but at least I'm making some progress. Feeling a little more excited at the possibility of a joey or two than before now that I have a better grasp on things. He will definitely be neutered though with in the next month. I'm having him neutered at Harris Pet Hospital in Paddock Lake, WI. Any one have any experience with them? Are they good? Thanks again for all of your help everyone! And I will definitely be giving updates. I'm sure I will have plenty more questions if she is in fact having joeys.

Mommy to

#1391904 - 07/14/15 01:35 PM Re: Hissing & Clicking - Mating or in Heat? [Re: Feather]
SuggieGirl16 Offline
Joey Member

I did some reading up and am feeling much more comfortable now, I think going into this knowing close to nothing made me nervous. But now I think I have a better grasp on things. I will definitely be giving updates and a keeping a close eye on her in case she is pregnant.

By the way, I noticed you are from Wisconsin. Where did you go to have your gliders neutered if you had them neutered? I'm planning on having my boy neutered at Harris Pet Hospital in Paddock Lake. They are charging $125 for the neuter, which is a lot cheaper than any of the other places I have called. Just wondering if you might have heard anything about them? Thanks!

Julia

Mommy to

#1391919 - 07/14/15 05:17 PM Re: Hissing & Clicking - Mating or in Heat? [Re: SuggieGirl16]
Feather Offline
Administrator

Loc: Wisconsin
That isn't a bad place for a neuter, they are more expensive here around Madison.
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Moderator:  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver, Philwojo 
Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Owner, Admin, Mod
Newest Members
aalissa, Mio, Immelh, PipersMom, Bravo
6381 Registered Users
Forum Stats
20 posts in the last 24hrs
6382 Members
134 Forums
8893 Topics
147821 Posts

Max Online: 478 @ 07/15/07 01:24 AM
Last 10 New Topics
Little Roxie
by kidqwik
06:57 PM
Is newspaper safe?
by Glamper
06:39 PM
Taking your glider to work
by Amanda159
05:08 PM
Fruits and Veggies
by Amanda159
05:06 PM
Seeking a Bra Baby Glider for PTSD
by Mio
10/16/17 05:32 PM
gr8pots
by Feather
10/16/17 05:20 PM
Beads wooden are they safe?
by tootles
10/14/17 06:20 PM
Can sugar gliders live in darkness or do they need a light in the day time?
by Link
10/14/17 01:53 PM
One Year
by Stef333
10/14/17 09:16 AM
Too Soon To Say Goodbye, my Lulu
by Terry
10/13/17 08:23 PM
(Views)Popular Topics
I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! 20202923
Spencer needs your prayers/good thoughts 12464917
TEXAS 645203