Articles
More coming soon!!
Today's Birthdays
kimberlypoole72
Featured Member
Last 10 Posts
Embarking on a return Voyage to Pirate's Cove
by Terry
Friday evening, when a Unidentified Object Appears in.....
by Terry
Photobucket Fiasco?
by Terry
New Sugar Glider Parents
by Hutch
Sick glider- post surgery decline
by Feather
05:14 PM
Is this a suitable cage?
by Ladymagyver
11:45 AM
Flat rock in cage?
by Ladymagyver
06:48 AM
Intact Male with Neutered Male -- Help!
by Ladymagyver
06:27 AM
Travel diets
by Ladymagyver
06:22 AM
Travel
by Terry
06:21 AM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Topic Options
#1405985 - 12/25/16 09:28 PM Next steps for my senior glider who lost cage mate
Nejwig Offline
Glider Explorer

Loc: New York
For those who didn't see my posts the last couple of days, I just lost my baby Suge (well, not a baby...he was 11 years old) this morning.

He is survived by brother/cage mate Ollie, who is the same age. Fortunately, I am off from work for the next few days, so I am able to spend a lot of time with him, but I worry about Ollie once I don't have all this time.

I think I would eventually like to get a pair to keep Ollie company.

Ollie is visibly sad right now. He came out for a little bit, ate a little, then crawled back into my shirt and went back to sleep. I had read that I should let him grieve first before introducing a new friend? How long do I let this go for? It breaks my heart to see him this way.

Also, will the age of the pair matter? Ollie is pretty easy-going and has a relaxed personality. He's also still fairly active - I just worry about overwhelming him with some youngins.

I already have two cages at home (their regular cage and their "travel" reptarium), so I'm prepared to house them separately until they're 100% introduced. But is there anything else I should know? Any advice to be given?

I've barely slept the last 3 nights, so I'm running on fumes at this point, but want to make sure I waste no time or effort with taking care of my Ollie.

:grey: Ollie :wt: Kirby & :wfb: DeeDee

:rbridge: my beloved Suge (05/2005 - 12/25/2016)

Current Research, Studies & Resources
#1405986 - 12/25/16 11:01 PM Re: Next steps for my senior glider who lost cage mate [Re: Nejwig]
KarenE Offline
Owner

Loc: LittleRock, AR USA
Because of Ollie's behavior at the vet's office, I'm pretty sure he knew his brother was close to the end and simply wanted to say his good bye.

He will need some time to mourn his loss, and you should be able to know when he is getting back to his normal self.

Get some rest yourself, and then let him have some extra cuddle time while you are off work.

It could be at his age he may be just fine by himself or he may indeed need the company of a couple of new cagemates. Whatever you do, thinking in terms of two is good. I'm not sure about what age to consider.

Hopefully someone else will have an idea about that.

#1405991 - 12/26/16 02:42 AM Re: Next steps for my senior glider who lost cage mate [Re: Nejwig]
Feather Online   gc/lgc
Administrator

Loc: Wisconsin
Again, I am very sorry for your loss. Does Ollie play in his wheel? If he is fairly active a pair of young gliders may give him a little zest for life.

Like Karen said he could be happy as a single glider, but getting him a pair of buddies would be great if he accepts them.
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

#1405992 - 12/26/16 08:53 AM Re: Next steps for my senior glider who lost cage mate [Re: Feather]
Nejwig Offline
Glider Explorer

Ollie does play in the wheel. It's actually the only thing he's been doing the last couple of days aside from sleeping and cuddling, but still only brief spurts. Before Suge got sick, the two of them would play in the wheel for HOURS.

#1405993 - 12/26/16 09:06 AM Re: Next steps for my senior glider who lost cage mate [Re: Nejwig]
Feather Online   gc/lgc
Administrator

If and when you get him buddies you may want to have two wheels in the cage so they can all play.

#1405999 - 12/26/16 10:01 AM Re: Next steps for my senior glider who lost cage mate [Re: Feather]
KarenE Offline
Owner

Loc: LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted By: Feather
If and when you get him buddies you may want to have two wheels in the cage so they can all play.

Great idea :thumb2:

#1406002 - 12/26/16 10:37 AM Re: Next steps for my senior glider who lost cage mate [Re: KarenE]
Nejwig Offline
Glider Explorer

I actually already have two wheels. Suge and Ollie didn't like sharing the wheel too much, so I got them each their own.

I've also been thinking about getting Ollie a new cage. He has a big cage now, and it's fine, but it's the cage he and Suge have been in their whole lives. I feel like maybe Ollie should have a "fresh start," so to speak. Also, the cage doors he currently has wouldn't allow the Stealth Wheel to fit in, only Wodent wheels. (So...in actuality he has three wheels. 2 WW in the cage and the stealth on top for out of cage play time.) But I think I'd like to get that Stealth Wheel in the cage for him now.

That being said, does anyone have any experience with Exotic Nutrition cages? I was looking at this one in particular: http://www.sugar-glider-store.com/newstca.html

I was looking at this one, as well: https://www.amazon.com/Cockatiel-Removab...gar+glider+cage

I'm also up for any recommendations, as well. It's been a while since I've looked for cages!

#1406003 - 12/26/16 01:06 PM Re: Next steps for my senior glider who lost cage mate [Re: Nejwig]
Feather Online   gc/lgc
Administrator

The Congo cage is a nice sized cage for 2 to 4 gliders. I would take out the ramps the gliders don't really use them.

Leave in the shelves, place them higher for putting their dinner dishes on so they can't poop or pee in their food.

#1406019 - 12/27/16 01:44 PM Re: Next steps for my senior glider who lost cage mate [Re: Nejwig]
ShyMayahMom Offline
Out of Pouch

Loc: Tampa Bay, Fl.
Originally Posted By: Nejwig

I'm also up for any recommendations, as well. It's been a while since I've looked for cages!

I just got a DCN and an add-on. LOVE IT. And so do the furrbutts. SO MUCH ROOM. Lol. I don't feel so bad when I can't take them out every day.

#1406031 - 12/27/16 07:00 PM Re: Next steps for my senior glider who lost cage mate [Re: ShyMayahMom]
Nejwig Offline
Glider Explorer

Originally Posted By: ShyMayahMom

I just got a DCN and an add-on. LOVE IT. And so do the furrbutts. SO MUCH ROOM. Lol. I don't feel so bad when I can't take them out every day.

I was looking at the DCN cage, but was unsure about it. It looked like it was two separate units. Can they be combined so it's one big cage?

If it's not too much trouble could you send me a photo of your cage?

#1406197 - 01/03/17 11:03 AM Re: Next steps for my senior glider who lost cage mate [Re: Nejwig]
Stef333 Offline
Glider Explorer

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I bought the Large Sturdy Cage from Suncoast Sugar Gliders, since their shipping costs were more reasonable than any other supplier ($9.95) http://www.sugar-gliders.com/glider-cages/11-large-sturdy-sugar-glider-cage.html

It is basically the same as the Congo Cage from Exotic Nutrition, but without the ramps that you don't need anyway. smile

#1406213 - 01/04/17 05:39 AM Re: Next steps for my senior glider who lost cage mate [Re: Nejwig]
Ladymagyver Offline

Loc: SW Missouri
:thumb2:

I really like mine. I just take it outside and scrub it down a few times a year, and wipe it down when weather isn't warm.

Once you get it assembled, I think you will like it.

https://www.facebook.com/uptilldawngliders/

Inhale the future...
Exhale the past...

Fiona :grey:
Dot :grey:

Moderator:  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver, Philwojo 
Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online
1 registered (Terry), 28 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Owner, Admin, Mod
Newest Members
stupidapples, MommyMack, Beanmom, ChefSteff, Sirrestrikk
6283 Registered Users
Forum Stats
53 posts in the last 24hrs
6284 Members
134 Forums
8768 Topics
146601 Posts

Max Online: 478 @ 07/15/07 01:24 AM
Last 10 New Topics