Featured Member
Last 10 Posts
Self muting in my boy
by Ladymagyver
0 seconds ago
Hiya (Once more, long time!)
by Ladymagyver
12 minutes 28 seconds ago
Should I get another glider? Please Help.
by Ladymagyver
Today at 12:51 AM
Ate a Crayon
by Feather
Yesterday at 06:47 PM
Diet for Kidney Stone Predisposition
by GliderLuvr
Yesterday at 05:18 PM
Pet Pro Happy Glider Rainbow Pack
by kidqwik
Yesterday at 11:12 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 4
by Stef333
Yesterday at 08:02 AM
Kicking Rocks...
by Ladymagyver
Yesterday at 04:32 AM
New Cage, Picture Heavy
by Terry
06/25/17 08:11 PM
Cage Mates (on loan)?
by Hutch
06/24/17 02:59 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Topic Options
#1410009 - 05/20/17 06:39 PM Official Sugar Glider Safe & Unsafe Toys List
drum Offline
In Pouch

Loc: WI
Hello everyone I tried to do a search for safe toys for gliders but didn't come up with anything so I thought i'd start off the thread so we can make a list of Safe and Unsafe toys out there.

Mods can always update and edit this list if need be.

I am a Newb though as far as Sugar Glider knowledge and just got mine a month ago so I probably should be the last person to make the list but just had the idea.

I have some little action figures and wanted to know if that was safe for them? It looks like it, but wanted to ask other owners. Thanks and hopefully we can make this list grow smile

Safe Toys:

Unsafe Toys

Current Research, Studies & Resources
#1410011 - 05/20/17 07:08 PM Re: Official Sugar Glider Safe & Unsafe Toys List [Re: drum]
Terry Offline
Glider Addict

Loc: Maryland
Do your little action figures have moveable joints? I ask because a lot of people use the little plastic army men you can get at dollar stores in play pit/bowls or toy bins for their suggies to pick up and chew on. I would suppose if there are moveable joints, I wouldn't recommend using them.

I like the idea of a safe and not safe list, but I feel the lists, both of them would be too long.

The ways I figure if a toy is safe is if I've seen it used frequently by experienced suggie servants or I've posted a pic or link of something in question.

I do believe there are list somewhere of some of the things that are safe and some that are not, but I don't believe they're complete and I'm not sure where to find them. I will try a search and see what I can find to get it started, then maybe things can be added or subtracted.

Edited by Terry (05/20/17 07:15 PM)
3 Sugies, (Ollie, Lulu, & Skadoosh)

#1410012 - 05/20/17 07:23 PM Re: Official Sugar Glider Safe & Unsafe Toys List [Re: drum]
Terry Offline
Glider Addict

There is not a whole lot I can find by Google, but this one website has some good suggestions to start with. I do not agree with the idea that if it's safe for a baby, it's safe for a suggie. Some teething toys contain fluid and I don't know that they'd be safe if a suggie punctured it.

Sugar Gliders as Pets

#1410014 - 05/21/17 12:22 AM Re: Official Sugar Glider Safe & Unsafe Toys List [Re: drum]
Feather Offline
Administrator

Loc: Wisconsin
I would say for toy parts no:
Anything small they could possibly choke on.
Any beads that are metallic as it flakes off.
Sisal rope
Flowers and vines that have metal in the stems.
Any thing made of zinc or pewter.
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

#1410017 - 05/21/17 10:42 AM Re: Official Sugar Glider Safe & Unsafe Toys List [Re: Feather]
KarenE Offline
Owner

Loc: LittleRock, AR USA
You can purchase fireman and army men plastic action figures at Dollar Tree like below. I would not leave them in the cage 24/7 because gliders might chew on them and possibly swallow a small piece of plastic. These used to be popular back in the day, but not sure if they are now dunno

Attachments
fireman action toys.jpg (1 downloads)
Description: fireman action toys

#1410018 - 05/21/17 11:08 AM Re: Official Sugar Glider Safe & Unsafe Toys List [Re: KarenE]
Terry Offline
Glider Addict

I just noticed there was this HAZARDOUS toys or toy parts posted right here in our locked threads.

Edited by Terry (05/21/17 11:09 AM)

#1410021 - 05/22/17 08:57 AM Re: Official Sugar Glider Safe & Unsafe Toys List [Re: Terry]
Alan Offline
Out of Pouch

Loc: Orlando, FL
I would just double check your army men daily. I got some originally for my girls and they did play with them until they fell through the bars Barlow. However, I noticed a lot of the small gun pieces would bend and they have some rough edges from where the plastic was molded. Just double check the ones you have put in. My girls didn't care for them much but they did investigate and throw haha.

#1410022 - 05/22/17 10:11 AM Re: Official Sugar Glider Safe & Unsafe Toys List [Re: Alan]
KarenE Offline
Owner

Loc: LittleRock, AR USA
Good point rofl , Alan. A friend of mine and I also went so far as to cut off the end of the rifle bayonets that were pointed to prevent injury.

You are correct though about how long they probably played with them along with many other things we purchased.

Just like human children, they much preferred the boxes (not the bags shakehead ) the toys came in :rofl2:

#1410051 - 05/24/17 03:36 PM Re: Official Sugar Glider Safe & Unsafe Toys List [Re: drum]
kidqwik Offline
Joey Member

Loc: Wallington, NJ
I bought a dual coconut house with a bridge that connects them. I'm doing some modifications to it because I don't feel all parts of it are safe. Inside the coconut there is a key ring that holds the chains attached to it to the coconut. I feel the ring is too big and they may try to put their heads in it and get stuck. So instead I removed the ring and but a carriage bolt thought it so the inside is a smooth curved flat surface on the top of the inside of the coconut. I'm still trying to figure out the best ways to connect the chain bolt to the chain but have some ideas.

Also, the bridge.. It's made of a kind of grassy twine with wood chunks for the ladder pieces connecting each coconut. I think I'm going to remove the bridge and make a bridge of c-links some how to connect them. Also the top has some straw kind of hut material I think I'll remove. I'll post a pic later. Tell me what you think would be safe for them with this.

#1410057 - 05/24/17 06:03 PM Re: Official Sugar Glider Safe & Unsafe Toys List [Re: drum]
Feather Offline
Administrator

Loc: Wisconsin
sounds good.
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

#1410072 - 05/25/17 09:44 PM Re: Official Sugar Glider Safe & Unsafe Toys List [Re: drum]
Ladymagyver Online   content

Loc: SW Missouri
Terry had a great idea of braiding a ladder. I haven't attempted it yet. (Been way too busy).

Hemp or twine are not glider friendly. It can be replaced with thin strip of fleece.

Edited by Ladymagyver (05/25/17 09:46 PM)

https://www.facebook.com/uptilldawngliders/

Inhale the future...
Exhale the past...

Fiona :grey:
Dot :grey:

Moderator:  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver, Philwojo 
Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online
2 registered (CrypticDelirium, Ladymagyver), 17 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Owner, Admin, Mod
Newest Members
panchyn, Madelynn, Hassaan, nvl, Mookachu
6245 Registered Users
Forum Stats
21 posts in the last 24hrs
6246 Members
134 Forums
8725 Topics
146070 Posts

Max Online: 478 @ 07/15/07 01:24 AM
Last 10 New Topics
Hiya (Once more, long time!)
by CrypticDelirium
29 minutes 27 seconds ago
Self muting in my boy
by Carmelpi
Today at 01:32 AM
Ate a Crayon
by PipersGlider
Yesterday at 02:26 PM
Should I get another glider? Please Help.
by Madelynn
06/25/17 11:51 PM
Grooming their joey pouches alot
by kidqwik
06/23/17 11:41 AM
Two White-Faced Gliders in North Alabama
by zenjenn
06/23/17 01:53 AM
Pet Pro Happy Glider Rainbow Pack
by kidqwik
06/22/17 05:25 PM
New pictures of Sheldon!