by KarenE
Today at 07:49 PM
Seeking a Bra Baby Glider for PTSD
by Mio
Today at 05:32 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 5
by KarenE
Today at 10:10 AM
Can sugar gliders live in darkness or do they need a light in the day time?
by KarenE
Today at 10:05 AM
Sick glider- post surgery decline
by KarenE
Today at 09:51 AM
Beads wooden are they safe?
by Feather
10/14/17 06:43 PM
Too Soon To Say Goodbye, my Lulu
by Terry
10/14/17 04:37 PM
OK Tennessee/Georgia peeps! The time has come!!!
by cyndiekb
10/14/17 04:13 PM
Help! I don't know where my babies came from!
by bae
10/14/17 04:07 PM
One Year
by Ladymagyver
10/14/17 02:18 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Topic Options
#1411217 - 07/24/17 01:44 PM Seeking loving home for 2 gliders (male & female)
lilniffa Offline

Loc: MA
I am looking for an experienced person to give a good and loving home to my 2 5 1/2 year old sugar gliders, Ferris (M) and Buelah (F), who I am extremely sad to part with. My husband and I were told we were unable to have children for 8 years and so made other life choices, one of which was to take on these two little fur babies. They had their own room in our extremely tiny 2 bedroom condo until last summer when I was surprised to find out I was pregnant. Now that the baby is here I am unable to give them the time, space and love they were once showered in and they deserve better than that.

I really want to make sure they go to a home that understands all that goes into caring for these little guys. They are on a diet of Critter Love Original Formula (HPW) as well as the frozen veggie/fruit mix suggested by Critter Love to accompany HPW and a variety of treats including canned worms and dried fruits. Just as an FYI, Ferris has had occasional seizures when he gets too excited. I have taken him to the vet and the vet determined it was due to excitement/anxiety and as a result he is not medicated. They are sporadic and he can go long stretches without one, I usually snuggle him gently for a few minutes and then give him something sweet and he snaps out of it. He's a sweet and snuggly timid little boy. He is otherwise very healthy, they both are.

I don't know that they would do well with other gliders but I do know they absolutely have to remain together, I will not separate them.

I would like to ask the following questions of anyone interested:

Have you ever owned gliders?
Do you still have them? If not, why not? Did they die? Did you give them away or what happened to them?
If so, for how long?
Do you have an exotic vet?
What diet do you feed/plan to feed?
Do you have other pets in the home?
Are you willing to send me photos and updates?

I would really like for the person who takes them to keep in touch with me via email on occasion so I could maybe see a photo and hear how they are doing. It is not easy for me to part with them and I'd appreciate this very much.

Please contact me for more information.
-Jen

Here are some photos of them.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yi6967yajoxpoej/AABuTX_exBQZxu_CV09NZt-Ga?dl=0

#1411247 - 07/25/17 05:05 PM Re: Seeking loving home for 2 gliders (male & female) [Re: lilniffa]
Hutch Offline
Glider Guardian

Loc: Heinsberg, Germany
I wish I could take them, but having shipped mine over here to Germany, I know the cost would be too prohibitive frown They're adorable & sounds like they came from a wonderful, loving home.

I wanted to ask you a bit more about Ferris's seizures. What you described sounds so much like what one of my boys goes through, including what I personally suspect is the trigger for them. My vet hasn't had any better ideas than anxiety, either. I hope you don't mind the questions, I just worry about my little furball & would like to know more than I do.

Was your vet able to come with anything to isolate that excitement/anxiety was the underlying cause? What was the reasoning for not medicating Ferris, was if just because they were so infrequent? Have you noticed any long-term issues related to the seizures that I should keep an eye out for (or just be aware of) with my Merlin? Have you found anything in particular that helps?

If you are able to provide even a little more insight, I would be grateful. I really hope you're able to quickly find a home worthy of your little loves.

:plat: Arthur :wfb: Gwynevere :bb: Merlin :grey: Morgana

The epic saga begins here!

#1411251 - 07/25/17 07:06 PM Re: Seeking loving home for 2 gliders (male & female) [Re: Hutch]
lilniffa Offline

Hi Hutch,

Thank you, I certainly think my babies are extremely cute (😉) and they've meant a great deal to us so I'm also hoping to find them the right home. Germany is beautiful (we loved the Bavarian region) but definitely too far for these little guys unfortunately.

Ferris' vet had done an exam checking for dehydration and ran some tests on a stool sample but came up with nothing. We were all pretty sure it was related to stress/anxiety as it seemed to happen immediately after something that freaked him out. He is a very shy boy, not as nosy as Bue-Bue. Just the other day it happened for the first time in a while when I was cutting his nails. He (naturally) hates it and he got away from me and scrambled back in the cage. When I scooped him up and tried to continue he got panicked and had an episode. He gets panicked on occasion if he has been out of the cage longer than he decides he wants to be and if he can't scramble into a pouch or he doesn't think he can glide to the cage on his own, he will bob his head up and down at the farthest point out on my shoulder or arm in the direction of the cage as if to say "put me back put me back". He has had episodes after occasions like that, but again, not an everyday thing, maybe a handful of times a year? Once every couple months? Because his diet was good and he was healthy otherwise, there really wasn't much else to do as they were too infrequent to know how to treat them and when. I wish he didn't have them at all but I do my best to prevent them by knowing his limits and keeping him comfortable when out of the cage. I haven't seen any long term issues (as of yet and I pray he doesn't have any). He's clearly a nervous shy little guy but he's very sweet.

I wish you luck with little Merlin, sounds like he has a good daddy who will do his very best for him.

#1411259 - 07/26/17 12:34 PM Re: Seeking loving home for 2 gliders (male & female) [Re: lilniffa]
Hutch Offline
Glider Guardian

Thank you for your reply, is so very appreciated! It does sound like Merlin's & Ferris' cases are very similar. Unfortunately, Merlin's are more frequent (1, sometimes 2 a month). Knowing your Ferris is still doing well & you've done much the same as I do for Merlin is a great comfort. Again, thank you!!

#1411728 - 08/29/17 08:55 AM Re: Seeking loving home for 2 gliders (male & female) [Re: lilniffa]
lilniffa Offline

Hi all,

I'm just following up as I haven't had much for feedback on my babies and I really hope to find them a nice place to call home. I am not necessarily in a hurry or looking to give them the boot (I love them to pieces) but I find myself feeling guilty about the lack of time my husband and I have for them right now, our infant son is getting bigger and for those of you who have had a baby, you how how crazy (and fast) the night flies by. Hearing barking makes me feel sad, and they are just looking to get my attention so we can snuggle (they really are so sweet). Plus as I am exclusively breastfeeding, having them in my shirt isn't really a safe or sanitary option right now.

I could leave them sitting in the cage and feed them and care for their basic needs and they would be healthy, but not truly happy. That would be selfish of me, they deserve better.

They will come with a cage and toys, etc. I just need for them to find someone who can give them the love and attention I am unable to provide to them now that I have a baby.

Please message me if you are interested.

#1411743 - 08/29/17 05:38 PM Re: Seeking loving home for 2 gliders (male & female) [Re: lilniffa]
Feather Offline
Administrator

Loc: Wisconsin
This is something I tell everyone who has gliders and then has children.

Does your glider have another glider as a buddy?

Is there a wheel in the cage?

Can you handle their dietary needs?

Can you keep up with fleece washing and cleaning the age and drop pan?

If you answered yes to these questions you don't need to rehome your gliders. They are just fine with their buddy. Give them some treats and talk to them a couple times a day and they will be fine.
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

#1411748 - 08/29/17 07:56 PM Re: Seeking loving home for 2 gliders (male & female) [Re: Feather]
Terry Offline
Glider Addict

Loc: Maryland
Kimberly has made some excellent points. I have personally been in a situation around three years ago, well, where I thought I might need to relinquish my trio and my dog. This was more because of the case that it looked like I may not have been able to continue to afford the proper diet, and even possibly not have a roof over my own head. This thought was heart-breaking. I had already gone through the guilt of not having the time to spend with them beyond basic needs for the most part for several months. As it turned out, I ended up able to afford to go back across country and move back in with family which allowed me to keep my animals. But I had to uproot everything, travel alone with my pets, and tow my life-long belongings back to my childhood home. It was still about 2 1/2 years before I could work out a way to spend quality time with my trio out of cage in a routine fashion. The out of cage play was very limited in space for several months because I have such a small space. Most of my belongings are in storage because there's not enough room in this home for me with all my stuff. My work hours during the weekdays do not allow me to spend any day time holding "pouch time" with my gliders and so to make up for no quality time for almost 2 1/2 yrs (minus a few months upon my return to MD before getting a job), I did cage visits as often as I could and when I could manage to set up arrangements in the bathroom or get the tent set up on my bed, they got a bit of out of cage play time.

I'm not saying that it's ideal for gliders, especially those used to a routine, mine sure were. But these guys are very resilient, more than most people realize. I learned this from the ordeal my trio went through that really changed their "quality" of life, as far as the time they were used to. Mine are fine now. I just recently created a roof-top playground for them, and still have to limit their "play space" for their safety, but I managed to make it more interesting. They have the opportunity to come out of cage 3x a week, two weeknight evenings, where the cage door is open for at most 30 minutes, and then a weekend evening where I give them doors open for about an hour. This time all depends also on whether they're even coming out, and how long they stay out. Much of the time they're in & out of their cage during this time, if they even come out. Sometimes one or two will, rarely all three are out, and then not for long.

Sorry, I know this is a lot to read, but I'm just saying, where a lot of time with them is important and ideal, it's not detrimental to them to go without it. Little cage visits go a long way, and before you know it, you may have time here and there at least to get them out.

Edited by Terry (08/29/17 07:57 PM)
2 Sugies, (Ollie & Skadoosh)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)

#1411760 - 08/29/17 09:31 PM Re: Seeking loving home for 2 gliders (male & female) [Re: lilniffa]
lilniffa Offline

I can absolutely tick all those boxes, I guess I just feel like I'm shortchanging them because I used to come home and put them right in the pouch and have them with me all night long. They got loads of love. I just can't do that for them with a baby who demands our attention and deprives us of sleep. Bue has been regularly barking for attention, something she used to only do occasionally, most of the time it was after we would get back from vacation. They also definitely don't have the space they did before (a whole bedroom to themselves) and now they take up most of my living room, which is hard in a 2 bedroom condo we're stuck in. It's just not an ideal situation all around, but I love them and if there is no better option for them then of course they will stay with me even if it means it's not the same as it was before. I wasn't looking to just put them on Craigslist or give them to just anybody, I had just hoped to find someone who was actively looking to give their time and love to some fur babies. I felt selfish giving them less than I used to, I wanted the best for them, that's all. Thanks for your responses.

#1411764 - 08/30/17 02:07 AM Re: Seeking loving home for 2 gliders (male & female) [Re: lilniffa]
Hutch Offline
Glider Guardian

lilniffa,

I didn't want to be the one to ask because I know how it is to make a hard decision then have everyone questioning it. Since someone else brought it up... I won't challenge the issues you brought up & how they affect your life & home. I only want to share something of my experiences. You can actually verify pretty much all of this in my various threads (including the self-torment much as you describe).

Three things to paint the picture up front: I'm single/living alone; I'm military & the only one on post who is qualified to do my job; I've been was battling severe depression for two years (still recovering). So, I'm sure from that you are able to imagine how my life sometimes (frequently?) leaves me with only minimal capacity to show my fuzzbutts some love. Not to mention travel that I cannot take them with me. Yet, we've still managed to bond fairly well over the last year-&-a-half & they seem healthy & happy to me.

I've experienced much of what you've described (barking at night, etc.). One thing I've discovered is that even a little attention every few nights means a lot to them. When things have gotten bad with me, giving them 15-20 minutes out of the cage interacting with me a few days a week has been enough to settle everyone (besides Gwyn). My occasional crazy week, all I am able to do is feed them, give them a couple treats by hand while chatting/petting, & say good night (I still always feel bad about those weeks).

Again, if you still feel rehoming is best, I am not challenging that decision & I wish you the best of luck finding them a new forever home; I'd be happy to help if I was closer. If, however, you'd prefer to keep them in your life, I will confidently say they'll remain happy if you give them what little you are able until things improve. You shouldn't feel selfish if they're bonded/affectionate to you, since you're family to them.

Edited by Hutch (08/30/17 02:11 AM)
Edit Reason: Spelling

#1411769 - 08/30/17 03:17 PM Re: Seeking loving home for 2 gliders (male & female) [Re: lilniffa]
lilniffa Offline

You know, I feel a lot better. I'm really surprised, I was under the impression that other glider parents might not understand, everyone seems so dedicated and I felt like I was falling short of what's expected when it comes to caring for them. I guess I was being too hard on myself, turns out I was the one who was being unrealistic. I will continue caring for them and that will definitely be good enough. You're all right, they have each other, they are healthy and they are still quick to come to me when I pop in to visit despite it being less frequently. The bond is still there and I'm still the Mumma. Thank you, I am ashamed that I almost made a big mistake.

#1411774 - 08/30/17 07:22 PM Re: Seeking loving home for 2 gliders (male & female) [Re: lilniffa]
Terry Offline
Glider Addict

Loc: Maryland
Don't feel ashamed, you were looking out for what you felt was best.

There are many different views or opinions on this matter. Many people have stressed for a long time that they require so much one-on-one, and that's a fact for bonding, but it doesn't have to be hours a day, it can be hours a week. Take advantage of the moments you can spend, they'll add up. Then down the road, you may have even more time.

I feel bad because I was going on about my situation to help you realize how resilient they are, I forgot to congratulate you on your new baby. So congrats!!
2 Sugies, (Ollie & Skadoosh)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)

#1411776 - 08/30/17 08:21 PM Re: Seeking loving home for 2 gliders (male & female) [Re: lilniffa]
Feather Offline
Administrator

Would you like me to remove this post now?

#1411786 - 08/31/17 07:34 AM Re: Seeking loving home for 2 gliders (male & female) [Re: lilniffa]
lilniffa Offline

Terry - Thank you so much! We are truly blessed, still can't believe after all this time we are finally parents, it is surreal. We are over the moon.

Thanks for all the positive thoughts about Ferry and Bue, I wholeheartedly appreciate how much better you have all made me feel.

Feather - Yes, please. I appreciate it.

#1411791 - 08/31/17 01:00 PM Re: Seeking loving home for 2 gliders (male & female) [Re: lilniffa]
Hutch Offline
Glider Guardian

lilniffa,

Maybe Kim (Feather) can move this to Talk & Travel & you can keep us updated on how everyone is doing as time goes by wink hehe

PS: No reason to feel ashamed, your heart was in the right place! It is as Terry said :D

Edited by Hutch (08/31/17 01:02 PM)
Edit Reason: PS

#1411797 - 08/31/17 07:28 PM Re: Seeking loving home for 2 gliders (male & female) [Re: lilniffa]
Feather Offline
Administrator

I am locking this thread and will remove it tomorrow.

Please start a thread in Glider Talk & Traveling to keep us updated on your family.

Moderator:  Feather, KarenE, Philwojo 
Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Owner, Admin, Mod
Newest Members
Immelh, PipersMom, Bravo, Jre2012, Shon_P
6379 Registered Users
Forum Stats
22 posts in the last 24hrs
6380 Members
134 Forums
8888 Topics
147786 Posts

Max Online: 478 @ 07/15/07 01:24 AM
Last 10 New Topics
Seeking a Bra Baby Glider for PTSD
by Mio
Today at 05:32 PM
gr8pots
by Feather
Today at 05:20 PM
Beads wooden are they safe?
by tootles
10/14/17 06:20 PM
Can sugar gliders live in darkness or do they need a light in the day time?
by Link
10/14/17 01:53 PM
One Year
by Stef333
10/14/17 09:16 AM
Too Soon To Say Goodbye, my Lulu
by Terry
10/13/17 08:23 PM
Fabric Softener Sheets
by Terry
10/11/17 08:53 PM
Still trying to bond with my gliders, almost a year