by kskill99
28 minutes 33 seconds ago
Introducing Two Colonies
by KarenE
Today at 01:26 PM
Seeking a Bra Baby Glider for PTSD
by KarenE
Today at 11:01 AM
Should breeding pairs ever be separated?
by KarenE
Today at 09:48 AM
Took in a glider from my Ex
by KarenE
Today at 09:48 AM
Looking for vet recommendation, Atlanta
by Jen_faith
Today at 04:40 AM
Fruits and Veggies
by KarenE
Yesterday at 10:39 AM
Questions about following Critter Love diet exactly as written
by KarenE
Yesterday at 10:37 AM
My dog Willow
by Terry
10/21/17 06:36 PM
Too Soon To Say Goodbye, my Lulu
by Ladymagyver
10/21/17 05:44 AM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
New Reply
Topic Options
#1412399 - 10/09/17 08:52 PM Second Thoughts
Cherry Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi everyone! I'm going to be an official sugar glider owner of two in a week, but I'm suddenly having second thoughts about it. frown

I have done all the necessary research about caring for them and have the supplies and equipment ready for them. But now I'm just worried that I won't be able to take care of them as well as I thought I could.

The thing is, I'm a high school student who is going to graduate next year, and I am afraid I won't have the time to care for them than I had originally thought.

I am totally fine with having to constantly care for them by taking the time to make their meals, clean their cages, play with them, and have them chatter in the night (I'm a deep sleeper and I don't mind noise). I also don't do many extracurricular activities so I go home straight away.

But I worry that I cannot find the time to bond with them with days I have a busy schedule. Also, I'm at school from 8:40AM to 3:00PM and I wonder if that time period is too long to be away from them. I also know that when I go to university, I might be away for longer periods of time from them. (The universities I plan to go to all allow exotic pets)

I am mainly worried for their health and bonding them with me. So should I still get them or not? (Though I really want them and I understand the responsibility with having sugar gliders, I am okay with not getting them if it is for the best)

Edited by Cherry (10/09/17 08:52 PM)

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
Current Research, Studies & Resources
#1412402 - 10/09/17 09:22 PM Re: Second Thoughts [Re: Cherry]
Terry Offline
Glider Addict

Loc: Maryland
:welcomegc:

First you need to determine if you're experiencing "cold feet" or if you are coming to a real, realization that you may be limited in time to fulfill the needs of the gliders.

It seems you have two weeks, maybe less to make this decision, and it's really one that only you can make. I don't want to encourage you and say, "oh you can do it", when I don't really know what your future holds any more than you do. Although, you do have some control in that, being what you take on in your college years. And again, I don't know your situation as to if you must go full-time, if you're going away to college or staying home, going to school locally. These are all factors you need to determine.

1. I recommend come up with a plan. Take maybe 2-3 nights to review your schedule throughout the week and also consider your college schedule & location. If you find that your plan is suitable to work in your situation, then you'll have your answer.

2. I don't want to come of the wrong way, but honestly there are circumstances where people have no control over limitation to care for animals, but there are many times they do have control. So basically, the question is how committed are you to your pet(s), or prospective pet(s), that you will, whenever necessary take measures that dictate around them and their need rather than your own? This is a tough question, but another that can help you determine if they're right for you.

Basically, best you know now that you are limited in your time than to get them home and have to find a new home for them. That's a tougher place to be.

However, if you're just experiencing "cold feet", that is the doubt of knowing you're capable, then by considering the two points above should help you determine if that's the case.

Also, to answer your question about your daytime hours. I personally work 9-6, plus commute time, I'm gone long days. I don't get so much "pouch time" with my trio so much. Fortunately, my hours were a lot different, plus I worked closer to where I lived, so the critical bonding time with them (especially the first two) was more manageable. With your personal schedule for daytime bonding, even three days a week from 3:30-4:00, or even a little later, would be fine, following proper methods.
2 Sugies, (Ollie & Skadoosh)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)

#1412405 - 10/09/17 10:25 PM Re: Second Thoughts [Re: Cherry]
Ladymagyver Offline

Loc: SW Missouri

:welcomegc:

Terry has some great points, and I agree with her.

One other thing you might consider is their lifespan can be up to 15 years. Where will you be?

I commend you on taking a responsible step back, and thinking ahead.

I feel the hardest thing to do would be rehoming them if circumstances came up and you couldn't care for them anymore.

https://www.facebook.com/uptilldawngliders/

Inhale the future...
Exhale the past...

Fiona :grey:
Dot :grey:

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver, Philwojo 
Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online
1 registered (kskill99), 19 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Owner, Admin, Mod
Newest Members
reba, AlyCatz, mandydarr, FinFiFuFe, Angelicat26
6389 Registered Users
Forum Stats
10 posts in the last 24hrs
6389 Members
134 Forums
8903 Topics
147916 Posts

Max Online: 478 @ 07/15/07 01:24 AM
Last 10 New Topics
Bare Tail Question
by kskill99
28 minutes 33 seconds ago
Took in a glider from my Ex
by New_Guy
Today at 12:11 AM
Should breeding pairs ever be separated?
by AlyCatz
Yesterday at 04:53 AM
Twitchy tale movements
by FinFiFuFe
10/20/17 12:29 AM
Looking for vet recommendation, Atlanta
by Jen_faith
10/19/17 08:40 PM
First time glider owner looking for wisdom
by
10/19/17 03:36 PM
Older Male/Joey Female or Older Female?