01/21/18 01:08 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Topic Options
#1413505 - 12/17/17 06:19 PM Nail trimming
ptamom Offline

Loc: US
I am at my wit's end with nail trimming. I have tried the numerous ways that people have advised to no advail; I think all I do is stress my gliders and myself out.

They squirm so much that they won't even eat the treats given. I don't want to take them to the vet as they were worse with her (bit and glided off table) and despite her saying she was good at trimming; I am skeptical based upon their behavior.

Please help as their nails are long..

Current Research, Studies & Resources
#1413507 - 12/17/17 07:28 PM Re: Nail trimming [Re: ptamom]
Claralice Offline
Joey Member

Loc: Ada OK
Hi, I use a track for mine and their nails stay very trim. I switch the wheels-I have two and one has the track with the trimmer. I put that wheel in for a couple of days every week. It seems to keep them at the right length! Hope that helps and I use the Wodent Wheel and bought at Suncoast Gliders.

#1413509 - 12/17/17 08:29 PM Re: Nail trimming [Re: Claralice]
ptamom Offline

Thx; perhaps I need to change the sandpaper or center as it doesn't seem to be helping my ladies

#1413510 - 12/17/17 08:51 PM Re: Nail trimming [Re: ptamom]
Claralice Offline
Joey Member

How often are you changing it?
I just started changing the track because I noticed their nails were getting a bit long. They do great with it and no sharp nails usually. Now that they are older, about 10 months old they are going to town on the wheel. And that is keeping them short but I did have to change it due to a little growth this week and it seemed not to be working. Today when I picked them up and took them down stairs the nails were good so it worked.
Hope this helps.

#1413515 - 12/17/17 10:27 PM Re: Nail trimming [Re: Claralice]
Alan Offline
Joey Member

Loc: Orlando, FL
I had the same issue with trimming. I know someone already said sandpaper, but I had an issue when mine didnít seem to be working. I have an atticworx wheel. I found I needed to change my paper more regularly. So I took out the old stuff and put in longer strips I cut myself and put holes into. That works well for me. So it could be you might try longer strips, if they get going on the wheel and donít hit the paper it doesnít help and mine were way off. After a few days it started to help. I will say when I tried the first time and had to.....I just had to hold them and squirm on my chest wrapped in fleece. They werenít happy with me after that for a few days but they warm up again.

Good luck!!!

Alan

#1413519 - 12/18/17 01:02 AM Re: Nail trimming [Re: ptamom]
Feather Offline
Administrator

Loc: Wisconsin
Here is how I do nails.

I change them to clean pouches after I do nails as they will poop during nail trimming.

I keep them in their dirty pouch.

I position one glider near the top and hold onto their body with them in the pouch and my hand outside. That way I can grab a foot.

I pull one foot out, and then pin the pouch closed and glider to my chest with my left arm, seeing as I am right handed.

I use my thumb in their palm to keep them from making a fist and carefully trim the tips of the nails on that hand.

Repeat with the other 3 tootsies.

Maybe I can get my friend to video me doing it over Christmas then I can post it.

I am clumsy so I use one of these Bird Claw Scissors.
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

#1413522 - 12/18/17 06:17 AM Re: Nail trimming [Re: ptamom]
billytense aka Lisa11 Offline
Out of Pouch

Loc: Atlantis
How do you tell when the nails need clipped and do they crab the whole time? Also I'm guessing they hate this so how long will they hold a grudge?

#1413523 - 12/18/17 06:19 AM Re: Nail trimming [Re: ptamom]
Out of Pouch

How do you tell when the nails need clipped and do they crab the whole time? Also I'm guessing they hate this so how long will they hold a grudge?

Also everyone mentions sandpaper but which grit? I'm guessing 100 or finer?
Thanks!!!!

#1413525 - 12/18/17 07:15 AM Re: Nail trimming [Re: ptamom]
Ladymagyver Offline

Loc: SW Missouri
Hi Bill, The sand paper that came with my atticworx wheel was 320gr wet/dry.

I used to buy it at Lowe's, but haven't seen it there lately. My next option will be an auto parts store when I run out. I have considered a lower grit paper, but I don't want the pads on their feet to get sore.

I also use plastic bird perches that have grit built on the sides.

You will know when to trim by how "sticky" they become. They will get tangled in their fleece.

https://www.facebook.com/uptilldawngliders/

Inhale the future...
Exhale the past...

Fiona :grey:
Dot :grey:

#1413533 - 12/18/17 10:43 AM Re: Nail trimming [Re: ptamom]
Feather Offline
Administrator

Loc: Wisconsin
When they start getting hung up on their fleece it is time to trim nails.
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

#1413538 - 12/18/17 12:16 PM Re: Nail trimming [Re: ptamom]
Hutch Offline
The Grinch

Loc: Heinsberg, Germany
My raptor first came with 220 grit, but I've since switched to 120 or 80. It lasts longer & does a better job. Since it's on the exterior of the wheel, I don't need to worry about their feet. Does wonderful & I changed it whenever their nails become needles again.

:plat: Arthur :wfb: Gwynevere :bb: Merlin :grey: Morgana

The epic saga begins here!

#1413541 - 12/18/17 01:22 PM Re: Nail trimming [Re: billytense aka Lisa11]
Firefly Offline

Loc: USA
When they run on your arms and it hurts because their nails are sharp? That is how I know it's time. It isn't always easy to tell if they're getting them caught in the fleece.Also after awhile you can tell just by looking at nail length. I don't advise you let them get too long as the quick will extend and it's easier to cut into it.

Some people on here have mentioned the sandpaper can injure the pads of their feet, I've never tried it but good to be aware.

Edited by Firefly (12/18/17 01:23 PM)

#1413545 - 12/18/17 05:47 PM Re: Nail trimming [Re: Claralice]
ptamom Offline

I haven't changed the sandpaper since I purchased the gliders in July. Definitely time for nail trimming as I feel them on my back and they get caught on the mesh tent netting.

I know I need to do it just having a hard time trimming them.

#1413546 - 12/18/17 05:50 PM Re: Nail trimming [Re: Alan]
ptamom Offline

I guess my girls do not like me (like my teenage son at the moment) I have done the burrito method, the wheel, the vet, feeding treats, etc..

I know that I am nervous (even bought a magnified to go on my head to see better) but can't understand why I can not get this done. I have my son try to help me only for him to say I can't do this.

UGGGG

#1413547 - 12/18/17 05:53 PM Re: Nail trimming [Re: Feather]
ptamom Offline

Thx.. I am getting the nerve up to go and try it now. I bought a kit off etsy but can't get used to the trimmers and have been using regular trimmers. I did buy a pair off Amazon only to give it to the vet (she couldn't use it either)

A video would be great.

I cut a hole in the bottome of a pouch only to make it too large and they can put they head out.

UGGGG

#1413556 - 12/19/17 09:16 AM Re: Nail trimming [Re: ptamom]
KarenE Offline
Owner

Loc: LittleRock, AR USA
The best thing to give your gliders to keep their nails naturally trimmed is to put safe wood branches in their cage/enclosure. Apple is the wood of choice and gliders love them. If you have or can get access to apple trees, it will save you the worry of trimming their nails.

Here is a list of Safe Woods .

#1413573 - 12/19/17 08:29 PM Re: Nail trimming [Re: KarenE]
Claralice Offline
Joey Member

Originally Posted By: KarenE
The best thing to give your gliders to keep their nails naturally trimmed is to put safe wood branches in their cage/enclosure. Apple is the wood of choice and gliders love them. If you have or can get access to apple trees, it will save you the worry of trimming their nails.

Not my thread but I believe a relevant question, is there others that are close-like peach or crape myrtle?

#1413574 - 12/19/17 09:18 PM Re: Nail trimming [Re: Claralice]
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis

Loc: Maryland
Originally Posted By: Claralice

Not my thread but I believe a relevant question, is there others that are close-like peach or crape myrtle?

Can't remember if peach was on the list, but know crape myrtle is safe. I had a branch from my moms cm, but my gliders didn't bother with, nor did they bother with euc branch I tried. I'm wondering if the branches were not thick enough, and considered maybe trying to see if I can get a little bigger/fatter branch from the cm.
2 Sugies, (Ollie & Skadoosh)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)

#1413578 - 12/19/17 11:38 PM Re: Nail trimming [Re: Feather]
BYK_Chainsaw Offline
Joey Member

Loc: indiana
Originally Posted By: Feather
When they start getting hung up on their fleece it is time to trim nails.

We also use the feel of them walking on us, if it hurts, time for a trim.

#1413579 - 12/19/17 11:43 PM Re: Nail trimming [Re: billytense aka Lisa11]
BYK_Chainsaw Offline
Joey Member

Loc: indiana
Originally Posted By: billytense aka Lisa11

Our glider do NOT hold a grudge at all. We will usually have 2 LIVE mealworms ready to feed them after they are finished, maybe one during cutting. They seem to forget all about the trimming after the mealworm feeding.
Each of our gliders react differently, the more bonded they are usually the better they are, but most will give a small nip if allowed to sometime during the process, so I hold them all so they can't nip, most of the time.

#1413583 - 12/20/17 09:49 AM Re: Nail trimming [Re: ptamom]
Out of Pouch

Yikes, I tip toe in and out of the room during the day so I don't wake them up, I don't think I'm ready to hold a screaming glider yet. Sand paper (220) has been working well and I just realized that there is a natural Grove on bamboo on the way to work!
That wood list is great!
Thanks everyone!

#1413586 - 12/20/17 10:08 AM Re: Nail trimming [Re: billytense aka Lisa11]
Ladymagyver Offline

Loc: SW Missouri
Originally Posted By: billytense aka Lisa11
Yikes, I tip toe in and out of the room during the day so I don't wake them up, I don't think I'm ready to hold a screaming glider yet. Sand paper (220) has been working well and I just realized that there is a natural Grove on bamboo on the way to work!
That wood list is great!
Thanks everyone!

Well, it's good that you are quiet since they are new to your home, but talk softly to them when you enter. It's normal for them to crab at first. Someone is a light sleeper, it's their job to alert colony.

Also when you're in the room, and they are in their pouch, softly sing, read,or talk on the phone. This gets them used to your voice.

When you approach their cage, let them know you're there. I learned early if I let them have the last word, they continue to crab till you leave. If they learn you will leave when they quit crabbing, well they will stop. I usually "shush" till they stop. This vocalization starts your communication with them.

https://www.facebook.com/uptilldawngliders/

Inhale the future...
Exhale the past...

Fiona :grey:
Dot :grey:

#1413589 - 12/20/17 10:17 AM Re: Nail trimming [Re: Ladymagyver]
KarenE Offline
Owner

Quote:
Safe woods/branches include;
Acacia, Apple, Aspen, Balsa, Bamboo (real bamboo, not decorative which is toxic), Beech, Blue Spruce, Butterfly Bush, Buttonwood, Carob Tree, Cholla, Citrus (orange, lime, lemon, etc.), Cork Bark (not the wood of the cork oak, just the bark), Cottonwood, Crabapple, Crape Myrtle, Douglas Fir, Eucalyptus (), Forsythia, Grapewood (woody grape vines), Hazelnut, Hybiscus, Lilac, Madrone, Magnolia, Manzanita, Maple (except Red Maple varieties), Mimosa, Mountain Ash, Mulberry, Pear, Pecan, Plane Tree, Poplar, Rose of Sharon, Sassafras, Silk Tree, Strawberry Tree, Silver Maple, Sugar Maple, Sycamore, Redbud, Ribbonwood, Willow, Yucca.

Above is the list of the most common trees you will find. When cutting branches, cut them as long as possible to fit corner to corner in your cage and as large in diameter as you can to give your gliders plenty to grab when climbing. This makes sure their nails are doing the work when climbing and makes all the difference in keeping their nails naturally trimmed.

#1413717 - 12/23/17 12:35 PM Re: Nail trimming [Re: KarenE]
ptamom Offline

Since I live in a state where they are illegal and have quite a bit of agriculture; is it safe to get an apple branch from a local tree?

#1413718 - 12/23/17 01:53 PM Re: Nail trimming [Re: ptamom]
KarenE Offline
Owner

Most trees in yards or in the wild have not been sprayed, so should be safe.

#1413724 - 12/23/17 08:21 PM Re: Nail trimming [Re: KarenE]
Claralice Offline
Joey Member

Thanks for the list! I will use my Crape Myrtle but NOT the Peach (pitted)! So much to learn!

#1413725 - 12/23/17 09:19 PM Re: Nail trimming [Re: Claralice]
KarenE Offline
Owner

:thumb2:

Moderator:  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver, Philwojo 
Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Owner, Admin, Mod
Newest Members
BixbySiriMom, ACajunSugarMomma, chinalmazan, TXglider2, sofiedigital
6492 Registered Users
Forum Stats
26 posts in the last 24hrs
6493 Members
134 Forums
9095 Topics
149649 Posts

Max Online: 478 @ 07/15/07 01:24 AM
Last 10 New Topics