Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pedialyte #15528
12/18/03 01:52 AM
12/18/03 01:52 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I read a post over on WSGN the other day about Pedialyte for gliders as a daily drink. The poster asked their vet about Pedialyte, who ripped it. 2 take home messages were: 1) OK for "healthy" gliders and 2) Recommended against Pedialyte with Aspartame (sweetener) use. Just can't resist commenting.

1. Why does one use Pedialyte, especially in a healthy subject? The purpose of the product is to maintain hydration and electrolytes (sodium, potassium, and chloride) in a non-eating critter or re-hydrate a dehydrated one. If everybody is eating well, give tap water. All the electrolyte needed is in the food if they are eating well, and free water would be the best water source. In fact, too much electrolyte can be harmful. If the critter is really too dry and needs Pedialyte, then the re-hydration solution should be used and not the maintenance solution. So if they are healthy, Pedialyte is unnecessary and a bad idea.
2. Aspartame? Don't worry about it. Ideally one is rarely using Pedialyte. There will not be sufficient levels of anything build up to do harm, even if one chooses to believe any of the ridiculous, non-scientific claims rampant on the net. In my practice I would be ecstatic if the parents would dump the cigarettes and high fat fast food for their kids, and sugar in soda and juice, and use Aspartame. And develop a relationship with them. And love and get to know them. Do the things that really count. Worrying about Aspartame is not seeing the forest for the trees. I usually re-hydrate dry children at home. I have literally saved lives (not to mention dollars, hospital admissions, and painful IV's) with Pedialyte. In third world countries where there are no hospitals, no IV's, and no donkey to get there, they save their children's lives from dehydration from common diarrhea with electrolyte solutions. There is probably a better site for a debate on Aspartame use than GliderCENTRAL, but I'm up to the challenge if anybody feels compelled to go there. If you want to use WHO fluid (World Health Organization), or some alternative to Pedialyte, help yourself. They are good products. My only caution would be make sure the glider will take it. It doesn't do any good if they don't drink it. And DON'T add sugar or ANYTHING to an electrolyte solution to make it sweeter or more palatable. Making it hyperosmolar (too much stuff dissolved in the water) can aggravate diarrhea and lead to the much nastier hypertonic form of dehydration. I hope you never need Pedialyte, but if you do, I'd just be thankful it's there.

Re: Pedialyte [Re: ] #15529
12/18/03 02:21 AM
12/18/03 02:21 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I only use Pedialyte when it is needed. Weather it be for my kids or my suggies. It comes in handy for both sets of kiddos until you get to the doctors office. I would not want to use it all the time for humans or animals. I have tasted pedialyte my self and it is not the best tasting stuff. Suggies and kids take things better if it is sweeter. tounge I wonder if any of them that made the statements have gliders or kids? I have 3 daughters and 5 gliders and the word unsweet don't exist here.. roflmao

Re: Pedialyte [Re: ] #15530
12/18/03 03:44 AM
12/18/03 03:44 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If I checked my glider for hydration and found it to be dehydrated, I would take it to the vet. immediately and forget about the pedialyte unless the vet. recommended it. More likely than not if the glider were truely dehydrated it would probably require a subq., (under the skin), injection of fluids. The vet. would also need to discover why the glider became dehydrated so that the cause could be treated. Not just the effect.

Re: Pedialyte [Re: ] #15531
12/18/03 03:49 AM
12/18/03 03:49 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Cynthia, we are running into problems such as there not being an emergency vet open/available in the wee hours of the morning, pedialyte is one thing we can use to help keep the glider hydrated til we can get him to the vet for the shots. It's ALWAYS recommended that you take your glider to the vet for ANY illness or suspected illness, as the smallest signs of something being wrong could be a MAJOR illness. However, we are finding that some members have to educate their vet as they go. So, you will see a lot of this kind of topic. As well as what to do in other situations till you can get to the vet! There's a situation right now with someone who is using the pedialyte to get thru the night till they can get in in the am!
Chey wave

Re: Pedialyte [Re: ] #15532
12/18/03 04:10 AM
12/18/03 04:10 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I didn't realize! shock I suppose that I am lucky to have an emergency vet. nearby. I just assumed, (and everyone knows how to break that word down to spell it) that everyone had an emergency vet. nearby. My mistake. I stand corrected.

Re: Pedialyte [Re: ] #15533
12/18/03 04:29 AM
12/18/03 04:29 AM
Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

It is interesting that is discussion is taking place. Once in a while....someone will post as to adding pedialtye to the BML...which is a no no.

Myself...I do not use it. I just sub q the glider till I can get to the vet in the morning. But not everyone can do that...so, keeping it on hand for an emergancy is wise. However, the taste is horrible...and most gliders hate it.

Last edited by Judie; 12/18/03 04:33 AM.
Re: Pedialyte [Re: ] #15534
12/18/03 09:55 AM
12/18/03 09:55 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I use the gerber version and only use it when necessary.. it also does NOT contain aspartame smile

Re: Pedialyte [Re: ] #15535
12/18/03 10:01 AM
12/18/03 10:01 AM
Sycamore Illinois
Karin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Karin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Sycamore Illinois
Thankfully I have not had to use it yet, but I have a question Schlep. There are flavored versions of Pedialte (I keep the popsicle type for less waste)...and now it's available in the small bottles. Is there a problem with the flavored kind, or does it make a difference in an emergency (until you can reach the vet)?

Karin

Miss Lily and Bud
Prada and Armani
Tessa, Deuce and Cami

Tira and Misu angel Deja and Vu

Glider Daydreams

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...It is about learning to
dance in the rain!"
Re: Pedialyte [Re: ] #15536
12/18/03 10:02 AM
12/18/03 10:02 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i have the little apple juice ones in small bottles...

Re: Pedialyte [Re: ] #15537
12/18/03 10:17 AM
12/18/03 10:17 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

wave
When Sydney was ill, I used the pedialyte per my vets suggestion. She didn't want it given full strength though, half water and half pedialyte. We did this between sub-q fluids if needed. I used the unflavored regular kind and never had problems with Sydney taking it. I hope I will not have to use it again, but I am glad it is available if I do.
Angie

Re: Pedialyte [Re: ] #15538
12/18/03 11:05 AM
12/18/03 11:05 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Over a decade ago I worked at Mead Johnsons/Bristol Meyers Squib, the makers of Pedialyte. They have always and still continue to work on the taste of that product. UCK! It's always been some nasty stuff! It does do what it is suppose to do if you can get it down them. If you can't water is your best bet for a glider.

Re: Pedialyte [Re: ] #15539
12/19/03 02:34 AM
12/19/03 02:34 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Karin, I would personally use (on the instructions of the vet) aspartame sweetened and flavored Pedialyte. Straight-up with no added water. If they are dry, they might drink even the unpalatable. Just like children, a little cheat with sweets added is in their interest, as it doesn't do any good if they won't take it. A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down, right? Aspartame is 2 amino acids, phenylalanine and aspartic acid, both of which are essential to our cells. They are found in meats, grains, and dairy foods. They are joined as a methyl ester. Methyl esters are found in fruits and vegetables. I have no worries about the small aspartame use. The flavoring may help acceptance. Flavoring agents are in so many foods, including many of the licky treats people use. Again, ideally we are talking about an emergency measure that we are rarely using. No worries here.

Re: Pedialyte [Re: ] #15540
12/19/03 02:42 AM
12/19/03 02:42 AM
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Aspertane is an artifical sweetner. So, I think the point is...it does not matter as the glider in a crisis needs the electrolites from the Pedialite.

Re: Pedialyte [Re: ] #15541
12/19/03 03:04 AM
12/19/03 03:04 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Judie, That's right. It's the electrolyte that makes it taste bad in the first place.

I have a question for you about what you use for sub-Q fluids. We determined some years ago that preemies were accumulating a fair load of preservative from all of the saline flushes they were getting with each med given and with line flushes after blood draws. Over the course of a day it was a staggering amount. So now we only use preservative free saline in the nursery. When we got our gliders, I got some of this preservative-free saline to have on hand in our emergency kit in case the vet recommends sub-Q fluids. Luckily, we've never needed it yet. Are you using normal saline or lactated ringer's solution, and with preservative, or preservative-free?

Re: Pedialyte [Re: ] #15542
12/19/03 03:19 AM
12/19/03 03:19 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

First of all, Chey Ace is going to be fine. PM me and I will tell you everything.

I can say this though, my vet was glad to hear I gave him some pedialyte. The one I use for all of my kids is Gerber and I awlways keep it on hand. I was able to get Ace to drink it by adding plain yogurt to the pedialyte, just enough to flavor it. I stayed up all night with him and any time he stirred I offered him more of the drink with a glass dropper. Adding to yogurt to it made it taste better to him and he drank on his own without having to force him to drinking and taking to chance of the fluids to go in his lungs. Ace would have been a lot worse off if I did not give him the pedialyte. After this happening I will use the pedialyte to help all my kids (human and animal) till I am able to get them to the doc.

Re: Pedialyte [Re: ] #15543
12/19/03 05:21 AM
12/19/03 05:21 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Jenni,
That's great news!
PM'ing for details!
Chey wave

Re: Pedialyte [Re: ] #15544
12/19/03 08:45 AM
12/19/03 08:45 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

One of my gliders is prone to dehydration (he doesn't seem to like plain water that much). Because of this, I offer pedialyte once a week to my gliders to maintain his hydration. I use grape or fruit flavored pedialyte and I use it fresh the first week, then freeze the extra in ice-cube trays and give my gliders a cube of it a week. It last for quite a while with only 4 gliders, but my vet said that it's okay to freeze it and I've had quite a bit of success with it. My little boy is even starting to put on weight and he's now always hydrated.

Re: Pedialyte [Re: ] #15545
12/19/03 11:54 AM
12/19/03 11:54 AM
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

I only use normal saline and it is preserative free. I have used D5w on occassion for a glider seizing due to low blood sugar...but this one.... have to be carefull as it can push a glider over the edge so to speak if he having a kidney problem. As for LR....I do not use it.

Last edited by Judie; 12/19/03 12:07 PM.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024