Bear <BR>written by Michael<P>Bear is one of our rescued gliders. He is a bit more wild than our <BR>hand-tamed babies, and he is missing a good part of his tail, due to <BR>stress from his previous home. His and his mate's cage was kind of <BR>close to an Oriental Ficus, which is dangerous to gliders, but we <BR>thought that the leaves couldn't reach the cages, and figured that they <BR>wouldn't reach out for them. <BR>Apparently, one of us or our daughter had bumped the plant enough so the <BR>leaves were almost in the cage of Ruth and Bear. Since they are curious <BR>animals as we all know, Bear decided to take a nibble, and we didn't <BR>find out until later that night when we fed them. We were really <BR>scared, but didn't know how to get it out of his system, so we just <BR>watched him closely for the next few days to see if anything happened. <BR>Four days later, I came home from work at 11:30pm and fed the gliders, <BR>and I noticed that Bear's face was swollen. It had just kind of popped <BR>up all of a sudden, and I wasn't sure what to think, so we kept an eye <BR>on it for another couple of days. It got bad enough that Bear got <BR>dehydrated, couldn't stick his tongue out of his mouth to eat or drink, <BR>and he had diarrhea. We took him to the emergency vet the next day. <BR>The vet found an abcess in his cheek/jaw area, not from a tooth or a <BR>wound. We are convinced that it was the result of his little snack on <BR>the Ficus. The vet drained it and gave him an antibiotic and one for us <BR>to administer at home. We took him home and gave him a grape. He <BR>attacked it like he hadn't eaten in days, which he probably hadn't. <BR>He's doing much better now, the antibiotic seems to have really helped. <BR>We moved the plant away from the cages so this won't happen again. Just <BR>goes to show that gliders are a lot like babies: if they really want <BR>it, they'll find a way to get it. <P>