10/17/17 06:14 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Topic Options
#224193 - 02/25/07 12:01 AM dark red nose
Anonymous
Unregistered

so i just finished reading "at the vets and glider health" and just realized that my gliders nose has been dark red since the day I brought him home, and he's had diarrhea. considering all of the false information i was given when i did get him,
examples: I was told they never needed to go to the vet because they "didn't" get sick. told they never carried, or picked up parasites. was told a horrible diet to feed for 6 weeks. I was basically told that this would be the easiest pet i've ever owned. turns out now that im finding out otherwise. what should i do now? report the breeder? to who?
I feel horrible saying this now, but if i would've known all of this beforehand, i don't think i would've ever gotten one. guess that's what i get for trusting a breeder.

#224205 - 02/25/07 12:28 AM Re: dark red nose [Re: ]
RSXTC Offline
Glider Slave

Loc: Albany, NY
Originally Posted By: jnnfrhllwy
so i just finished reading "at the vets and glider health" and just realized that my gliders nose has been dark red since the day I brought him home, and he's had diarrhea. considering all of the false information i was given when i did get him,
examples: I was told they never needed to go to the vet because they "didn't" get sick. told they never carried, or picked up parasites. was told a horrible diet to feed for 6 weeks. I was basically told that this would be the easiest pet i've ever owned. turns out now that im finding out otherwise. what should i do now? report the breeder? to who?
I feel horrible saying this now, but if i would've known all of this beforehand, i don't think i would've ever gotten one. guess that's what i get for trusting a breeder.

Oh jeez. frown Well, first off, I don't think there is any animal that "doesn't get sick". And the only animal that doesn't need to be brought to a vet... is a fish.

I'm sorry that you were so misinformed by your breeder. Where are you located? I hope you will still be able to give your glider a good home...I think the FIRST thing you need to do is get him to a vet, since it sounds like he is sick.

Now that you're finding out how high-maintenance sugar gliders are, perhaps you should have a word with your breeder, so that he/she doesn't continue to misrepresent these exotic animals and sell them to people who don't know enough about them, and aren't prepared to care for them.

#224206 - 02/25/07 12:30 AM Re: dark red nose [Re: RSXTC]
RSXTC Offline
Glider Slave

I'm guessing you also weren't informed that they should be bought in pairs, since they can get depressed and even die of loneliness?

And did the breeder tell you that gliders live for 10 - 15 years?

I'm surprised someone would advertise them as an "easy" pet. They're definitely not.

#224209 - 02/25/07 12:42 AM Re: dark red nose [Re: RSXTC]
Anonymous
Unregistered

no. i was not told they should be bought in pairs. infact, the day i brought him home, was the day he was taken from his mommy and daddy. the thing that makes me even madder about the whole situation is that i had spoken to this "breeder" twice. www.sandmanssugargliders.com before i decided to get mine. I told him then that if they weren't as easy or easier than my chinchilla, then i didn't want to get one. but oh no, i was told that compared to my chinchilla, this would be a cakewalk. HA!!!! was i misinformed or what? makes me sad. i think i will find him a home with other gliders.

#224211 - 02/25/07 12:46 AM Re: dark red nose [Re: RSXTC]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I dont know...suggies are one of the easiest pets that I have ever owned.

And they do not need the same kind of vet care that many pets need. No immunizations or meds everyday to prevent heartworms. I just read somewhere that the yearly maintainance on a dog was $600 for immunizations, heartworm prevention and flea prevention. And that was for a healthy dog, just to keep them that way.

And keep in mind that the stories of how well suggies are doing all end up in Glider Talk. Only the post with questions about health problems are left in the Health and Hygiene forum.

Reading the Health and Hygiene forum does not give a balanced view of what is involved in owning a suggie either. Remember, you are reading about all the things that can go wrong. Most of our suggies never have any of these problems.

What are you feeding your little one. The diarrhea could be from an imbalanced diet.

A vet visit would be a good idea. Any new pet should visit the vet and establish a baseline for future reference.

In the meanwhile, sit back, relax, take a deep breath. ..owning any animal is a big responsibility. Owning a suggie is such an enjoyable responsibility.

#224212 - 02/25/07 12:50 AM Re: dark red nose [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

you can read my previous posts titled Help!!!! we've got diarrhea in the diet and nutrition forum. explains what i was told to feed and what i started feeding today.
thanks

#224213 - 02/25/07 12:52 AM Re: dark red nose [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

suggies are definitely social animals, but many of us own suggies that are single for one reason or another. If you are willing to spend some time with your suggie, he will not be lonely. Of course, all suggies have different personalities.

But lots of suggies are bonded to their humans and very happy.

#224215 - 02/25/07 12:55 AM Re: dark red nose [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

im gonna try what i can. i wasn't prepared for this. thats whats throwing me off.

#224222 - 02/25/07 01:27 AM Re: dark red nose [Re: ]
RSXTC Offline
Glider Slave

I'm sorry you weren't better informed before buying your glider. frown Hopefully you'll be able to get her on a good diet, and in better shape, then do what's best for her, whether it's keeping her or finding her a more suitable home.

#224223 - 02/25/07 01:29 AM Re: dark red nose [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just read your other thread in diet and Nutrition. As I posted there

Quote:
I actually purchased one of my suggies from that breeder. He gave me a lesson in how to care for him, a written packet of information on his care that included the recipe for BML, an email and phone number to contact him if I had any questions. And I had many, even though I had researched suggies for years before I bought one. All in all, he was very responsible and my suggie was very healthy.

I know you are feeling like you have been deceived, but maybe there is some other explanation. If you feel strongly about this breeder you should file a complaint with the USDA and they will investigate.

The purpose of this forum is to help you with your suggie now.

You and your suggie are going to be fine. There are people here to help with any questions that come up. You are on the right track with a good diet, and your suggie is doing better and seems happier.

Now, we just need you to be happier....lol We cheered your suggie up with a mealie, it may be harder with you. I know it can be a little overwhelming at first.

For starters, what is your little guy's name?

#224228 - 02/25/07 01:42 AM Re: dark red nose [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Clyde

#224234 - 02/25/07 01:57 AM Re: dark red nose [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Clyde....I love that name. I had a very good friend once named Clyde. If your suggie has his personality, you will be lucky indeed.

What can we do for you and for Clyde, other than passing the mealies to Clyde...lol

#224242 - 02/25/07 02:21 AM Re: dark red nose [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

My husband nad I almost bought a Sugar Glider from that guy. Is that the one that is at the "Dirt mall" or flea market in Arlington, TX? He seemed very knowledgeable about the animals when we saw him back in December.

I hope everything works out for you and Clyde.

#224244 - 02/25/07 02:46 AM Re: dark red nose [Re: ]
KattyM Offline
Serious Glideritis

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Yes, the important thing now is to move forward with Clyde on the road to health and happiness with you. Having unmet expectations is a sure-fire way to disappointment. But in a way you're very lucky. You found this board right away, and now you have a new set of expectations.

You're already looking into a healthier diet. The next thing to do is find a glider-knowledgeable vet and take little Clyde in for a wellness exam.

Here’s a great page with bonding links. Once you and Clyde form a deep bond, you might wonder (like the rest of us stricken with glideritis) how you ever lived without him in the past. heart

Any questions that you have, please don't hesitate to ask in the most appropriate forums. We're all here to help as best we can.

• 2003: Hiroshi (M)
• 2009: Herbie (M)

:rbridge:
• 2002-2004: Keiko (F) and baby Tomoki (M)
• 2009: Sammy (F), Charlie (F), Murray (M)
• 2010: BJ (M)
My gallery

Moderator:  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver, Philwojo 
Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online
4 registered (Mio, Growman, mechnut450, 1 invisible), 24 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Owner, Admin, Mod
Newest Members
aalissa, Mio, Immelh, PipersMom, Bravo
6381 Registered Users
Forum Stats
29 posts in the last 24hrs
6382 Members
134 Forums
8897 Topics
147847 Posts

Max Online: 478 @ 07/15/07 01:24 AM
Last 10 New Topics