Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Update: Mareki's Saga Continues #323621
06/25/07 07:59 AM
06/25/07 07:59 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Many of you have been following Mareki's story and so I wanted to post an update for you. I picked up Darwin from Karen (sugeebaby) on Saturday, the 9th of June. Darwin is a very sweet 7 year old neutered male. He is very friendly and it didn't take him long to break down Mareki's defenses. I placed him in a 100 gallon Reptarium and Mareki into a 38 gallon Rept inside of his. For the first few nights, she crabbed at him every time he came near her Rept. On the evening of Thursday the 14th, I opened up their Rept's to put their food in. As soon as I unzipped Mareki's Rept, Darwin jumped inside. Mareki was already on the floor of her cage, waiting for her food. I placed the food in the cage and sat back to see what would happen. Mareki grabbed a piece of corn and started to eat it. Darwin grabbed a piece and ran to the opposite wall of the Rept to eat it. They went back and forth with grabbing veggies and retreating to their respective spots for about 15 minutes while I watched them. No crabbing, no sparring, nothing, so I decided to zip up the outer Rept and leave them be. I went downstairs and kept a close ear on them, just in case. About a half hour later, after not hearing anything at all, I went back up to check on them. Mareki had just gone into her pouch. As I watched, Darwin hopped onto her pouch and then dove inside. I waited with baited breath to see what her reaction would be...

Nothing.

All was silent!

Yes!!! He had broken through to her and she accepted him without any reserves thumb They were together from that point on heart

~~~~~~~~~~~
Fast forward to this past Saturday, the 23rd... I had fed the gliders at about 7 p.m. and at about 10 p.m. I was getting ready for bed. I saw Mareki climbing up the side of the Rept but I had a "feeling" so I pulled her out to check on her. I discovered that she had gotten a mating wound from Darwin sometime during the past 24 hours cry It appeared to be very fresh. I had never heard any indication that they had been mating, but the location of the wound tells the tale blush
Here are a few pix I got of the wound...

For larger image, click HERE

For larger image, click HERE
For a close-up image of the wound, click HERE.
I immediately pulled her out of the Rept., set the 38 gallon Rept back up for her and separated her from Darwin. I have started her back on antibiotics (topical and oral) and she is starting the healing process, yet again frown Darwin seems to be taking the separation okay, but he would obviously like to have his Mareki back cry I know that I will have to keep them separated until the wound is healed, but it will probably be a few weeks, at least shakehead

My question is, do you all think it is safe to put them back together again? Or do you think he'll reopen the wound when she goes into heat again? I really want them to be companions to each other, but I'm worried that it will become a continuous problem with the mating wounds worried

They haven't even been together long enough to know whether or not his companionship will prevent her from continuing to SM her chest and patagiums shakehead

In regards to her latest SM wound on her chest, it appears to be healing nicely. Externally all looks good. I have no idea how it is doing internally though worried Also, I didn't end up getting the biopsy and bloodwork done because my vet contacted me to let me know that she is closing her practice at the end of this month and there wouldn't have been time to get the results back or to follow up with treatments, if necessary cry So, now I need to try to find another vet that is relatively near so that I can continue with her treatments frown

Poor Mareki... as I said in the title... her saga continues... cry

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Update: Mareki's Saga Continues [Re: sugarglidersuz] #323628
06/25/07 08:13 AM
06/25/07 08:13 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Poor girl! Goodness! That's pretty rough with your vet closing up shop too! I've never had any experience with mating wounds. I got lucky I guess; Bucky and Miri always played nice, and now everyone is neutered. Is neutering Darwin an option? I really hope you can find another vet quickly, that will work well with you and Mareki. Sorry I'm not at all helpful, my only experience has been with staph infections and liver disease. :/

Re: Update: Mareki's Saga Continues [Re: ] #323630
06/25/07 08:17 AM
06/25/07 08:17 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Suz, are you positive it is a mating wound? There seems to be quite a bit of these "wounds" going around lately. There are a few threads going now about them.

I don't have any experience with this and can't help but wanted to say I pray she gets well fast and she is one BEAUTIFUL lady!!

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: Update: Mareki's Saga Continues [Re: sugarglidersuz] #323631
06/25/07 08:19 AM
06/25/07 08:19 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How about if Mareki had a female buddy instead?

Darwin is one frisky neutered male! Has he been neutered recently or many years ago?

Or maybe they can be seperated like you are currently doing whenever Mareki is in heat?

I'm sorry you are going through this, and I wish I could offer up some really good advice as you have given me so much good advice in the short time I have had gliders. hug2

Re: Update: Mareki's Saga Continues [Re: ] #323633
06/25/07 08:26 AM
06/25/07 08:26 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
Glideritis Anonymous
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Darwin has already been neutered - I believe about a year ago when Karen first got him, but I'm not sure on that, he may have already been neutered when she got him dunno

I have tried to put females with Mareki in the past and she would NOT accept them shakehead Most recently, I tried with my Nara (who has been lonely since Pika passed away in March cry ) but she attacked Nara at every opportunity, so after a month, I gave up on that frown

No, I'm not absolutely positive it's a mating wound, but the location and size would indicate that it probably is dunno

Suz Enyedy
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Update: Mareki's Saga Continues [Re: sugarglidersuz] #323637
06/25/07 08:33 AM
06/25/07 08:33 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA

Re: Update: Mareki's Saga Continues [Re: SugarBlossoms] #323646
06/25/07 09:11 AM
06/25/07 09:11 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
Glideritis Anonymous
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
I had already read through the first & third threads, but not the one about Petunia yet... I've now read through it, too. I'm going to be calling the vet who's an hour away pretty soon to find out about treatment options. Sadly, my vet is moving, so I can't continue treatments with her shakehead
The wound has not gotten any bigger in the past couple of days since I first observed it, so I don't think it is the kind of infection that KarIn was dealing with for Tira...

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Update: Mareki's Saga Continues [Re: sugarglidersuz] #323650
06/25/07 09:19 AM
06/25/07 09:19 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
I hope the new vet is a great vet and Miraki heals fast. It's scary to see anything wrong with a glider. I don't know what to say about putting her back with him, just me, but I would be afraid to in case it is a mating wound. That would mean Darwin without her though. This is tough Suz. I sure wish I had an answer, you've always been there for me.

HUGS

Re: Update: Mareki's Saga Continues [Re: sugarglidersuz] #323651
06/25/07 09:21 AM
06/25/07 09:21 AM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Suz, I'm so sorry that Mareki is having a difficult time with Darwin. The overall process sounds like everything is going good when you put them together. If the problem occurs only when she goes on her cycle, could you just separate them during that period of time?

You mentioned that Darwin had been neutered, I'm just wondering if there is a slim chance that his neuter didn't take. I't been known to happen (especially if the poms have been left on) just a thought...I will keep Mareki in my prayers! hug2 hug2

Last edited by LSardou; 06/25/07 09:22 AM.
Re: Update: Mareki's Saga Continues [Re: sugarglidersuz] #323654
06/25/07 09:25 AM
06/25/07 09:25 AM
Michigan
S
sugeebaby Offline
Glider Slave
sugeebaby  Offline
Glider Slave
S

Michigan
Darwin was neuterd at 10wks old. So he has been neutered all his life. I know T had a glider that put a mating wound on their mate did it once and never did it again. Also try the Hartville vet Clinic and only speak with Dr.Susan Seman. I can get you the website if you want.Call me for more details.
As far as Darwin is concerned. I would wait till Mareki is healed and try again. I think this just might be a one time thing. Since he neve got that rough with Esther in all the years they were together. So it might have just been that first time thing with a new mate.

Karen
President of The Glider Initiative
:bb: The Glider Crue :grey:

The Pampered Glider

The Glider Initiative
Have you educated someone today?

Re: Update: Mareki's Saga Continues [Re: sugeebaby] #323661
06/25/07 09:38 AM
06/25/07 09:38 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
Glideritis Anonymous
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Karen,
Thanks for the information on Darwin's background - that helps a lot!

I've got an appointment for Mareki this afternoon with Dr. Mandel at the Mandel Veterinary Hospital in Euclid Heights - it's about 25 minutes away from me, per MapQuest... I'll update after we get home again thumb

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Update: Mareki's Saga Continues [Re: sugarglidersuz] #323780
06/25/07 12:19 PM
06/25/07 12:19 PM
Sycamore Illinois
Karin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Karin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Sycamore Illinois
Gosh Gosh Suz hug2 . I cannot offer any advice, because you already know I am gun shy about this worried . Since you are willing, what about putting them back together when the time is right...and if it happens again, well, then we all know something else is going on.

I find it hard to believe that is a mating wound though, from a neutered male. But that's just me confused .

Karin

Miss Lily and Bud
Prada and Armani
Tessa, Deuce and Cami

Tira and Misu angel Deja and Vu

Glider Daydreams

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...It is about learning to
dance in the rain!"
Re: Update: Mareki's Saga Continues [Re: Karin] #323944
06/25/07 03:14 PM
06/25/07 03:14 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
Glideritis Anonymous
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Karin, I understand and I'm having a really hard time with the concept, too... But with the location, what else would it be??? I just don't know. They're in a Reptarium, so there are not sharp edges she could have been wounded on. His nails are nice and trim because he uses his Stealth Junior with the Trimmer Trax a lot every night... so I don't think it started as a puncture wound from his nails... So really, what other options are there? The only other thing I can think of is that there might have been an underlying infection (maybe spread from the chest wound?) that he sensed and tried to groom out dunno But her chest wound appears to be healing well after the 10 day course of antibiotics, so I don't know about the plausibility there worried Hopefully Dr. Mandel will have some answers for me this afternoon... I'll post an update after I get back again...

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Update: Mareki's Saga Continues [Re: sugarglidersuz] #323962
06/25/07 03:35 PM
06/25/07 03:35 PM
Lenexa, KS
TracieB Offline
Glider Addict
TracieB  Offline
Glider Addict

Lenexa, KS
hug2 Suz, I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope that in this case it was something else entirely, or that it was a one-time thing. I only have two girls so I've got no experience with this kind of thing so I know I'm of no help, but I just wanted you to know that I'll be keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. heart

Tracie
1 wonderful husband - Chris
1 goofy Yorkie - Dexter
2 naughty kitties - Chloe & Alek

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
1 spoiled Yorkie, Myles - April 5, 1993-June 5, 2007
1 sweet :wfb: Xavier - August 5, 2007-May 20, 2010
2 sweet :grey: :grey: Nara & Alkina - February, 2006-November, 2011

Re: Update: Mareki's Saga Continues [Re: TracieB] #324029
06/25/07 04:26 PM
06/25/07 04:26 PM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
hug2 and prayers for poor, sweet, beautiful Mareki. And for you, too! I hope everything starts going better soon! hug2

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove
Gliders: Eugene, Sandy, Seri; Bobbi, Spice; Star, Squiddi; Pearl, Pip; Petrie; Jimny, Pinocchio; Anna & Elsa
Dogs: Nacho & Dory
RIP my glider angels: Nynaeve, Poppy, Lan, Toffee, Zoey, Tika & Tas

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: Update: Mareki's Saga Continues [Re: Usha77] #324138
06/25/07 07:07 PM
06/25/07 07:07 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
Glideritis Anonymous
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Back from the vet's now. He said that in all likelihood it's not really a mating wound so much as just that Darwin was establishing dominance over Mareki and she resisted shakehead I can see this as a very plausible case since she is a very dominant personality type herself.
For now, the treatment is going to be oral antibiotics (Cefa-drops - similar to Cephalexin, which has worked well for her in the past) and topical treatment with SSD ointment. He also wants me to clean the wound a couple times a day using alcohol-free baby wipes to gently rub off any extraneous matter. I liked Dr. Mandel and will add his information to the vet links database soon thumb

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Update: Mareki's Saga Continues [Re: sugarglidersuz] #328771
07/01/07 09:03 AM
07/01/07 09:03 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Suz, how is Mareki doing? I can't get over how beautiful and sweet she is!

Re: Update: Mareki's Saga Continues [Re: SugarBlossoms] #328776
07/01/07 09:23 AM
07/01/07 09:23 AM
Texas
morksmom Offline
Glider Slave
morksmom  Offline
Glider Slave

Texas
Poor baby. I did not know they would mate if neutered.

Re: Update: Mareki's Saga Continues [Re: morksmom] #329383
07/02/07 02:41 AM
07/02/07 02:41 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
off_topic Some will try (to mate), at least to attempt to establish dominance over the female, even though nothing will come of it. Binx is more than happy to 'oblige' Roxy when she's in heat, even though he's been neutered since about 6 months OOP (he's almost 6 years old). In the horse world, it's the difference between a Stag, and a Gelding. Both are neutered males, but the Stag has well established secondary sex characteristics neutering won't eliminate-in other words they behave like an intact stallion even though they're not, and can't reproduce. Geldings were usually done (neutered) before those traits manifested, and as a result are both more docile, and without the drive in that direction. Some gliders can be sexually mature as young as 10-12 weeks OOP, others as late as 6 months or so, so say one matured young, and wasn't neutered until 6 months of age-those traits are going to be dominant, and you will end up with a stag instead of a gelding. Does that help?

Suz, I'm so sorry Mareki has to go thru yet another trial cry Hopefully a solution will present itself-poor girl! You know I'm always around if you need to talk, and I hope it heals soon. You probably have, but have you tried silvodine on the wound? I have a bunch I just bought for my emergency kit (old stuff expired), and can send some if you'd like. hug2

Last edited by Xfilefan; 07/02/07 02:43 AM.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: Update: Mareki's Saga Continues [Re: Xfilefan] #329428
07/02/07 07:18 AM
07/02/07 07:18 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
Glideritis Anonymous
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
Mareki is doing okay right now. The vet hypostulated that Darwin was establishing dominance (not mating) and Mareki resisted, thus ending up with the wound. Since Darwin was neutered at only 10 weeks oop and is now 7 years old, that makes sense - especially since I witnessed NO signs of mating, nor of her being in heat, over the 48 hours prior to finding the wound. In addition, Karen (sugeebaby) told me that he had never tried to mate with his previous companion in all the years they had been together.
Mareki's wound is healing okay. The vet gave me some oral antibiotics for her and I have been applying Silvadine to the wound twice a day, plus have been cleaning the wound with sterile saline rinses. She doesn't like all of the treatments, but she DOES like the oral antibiotics roflmao She grabs the syringe and sucks it dry... Silly Girl!
For now, I have Mareki in a 38 gallon Reptarium at the bottom of Darwin's 100 gallon Reptarium so that they can still associate with each other but are separated. That seems to be going well. Once her wound heals, then I will try putting them back together again. If that goes well then we'll be all set! If not, then I'm considering having Teresa (Dancing) custom-make a "Condo Reptarium" for me - a concept that Chris (glidrz5) suggested while I was chatting with her the other day. Our thought is that they could then each have their own side of the Reptarium but still be separated from each other - so they'd have companionship but not be able to touch and harm each other. I don't know if it would work or not, but I'm willing to give it a try since the alternative is to have Mareki completely alone again - and we already know that leads to her Self Mutilation frown

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Update: Mareki's Saga Continues [Re: sugarglidersuz] #329435
07/02/07 08:04 AM
07/02/07 08:04 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You have some excellent ideas to try! I like the idea of a 'condo reptarium' too!

And I am glad Mareki's wound is healing well! clap

Re: Update: Mareki's Saga Continues [Re: ] #340204
07/16/07 03:23 PM
07/16/07 03:23 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
Glideritis Anonymous
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
It's been awhile since I posted about Mareki's progress, so I thought I'd better post an update for everyone.
Mareki's dominance wound is healing very well. Here is a picture so you can see how she's doing heart

(click HERE to see larger image.)
The previous self-inflicted wound on the thoracic area of her chest has completely healed over now thumb The fur is growing back in, which means that it is healed internally as well smile This is a picture of her chest now heart

Right now, she is still separated from Darwin but is doing very well. I now have her Reptarium next to his instead of inside it. This seems to be working out okay. Darwin had decided that he wanted to be friends with Nara (whose Rept. was on top of his) and so they are now together and doing great! I am going to be ordering the specialty GliderCondo from Teresa to use for the 3 of them. I'll house Mareki on one side of it and Darwin & Nara on the other side. Hopefully this will work out well. I'll let everyone know how it goes once I get it set up. Thanks again to everyone for your support and encouragement hug2

Suz Enyedy

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: Update: Mareki's Saga Continues [Re: sugarglidersuz] #340205
07/16/07 03:26 PM
07/16/07 03:26 PM
Upstate NY
glidergrl1513 Offline
Serious Glideritis
glidergrl1513  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Upstate NY
Oh I'm so happy she's healing up so well!! She looks great.

Good luck with the new set-up!

Re: Update: Mareki's Saga Continues [Re: glidergrl1513] #340255
07/16/07 04:13 PM
Lenexa, KS
TracieB Offline
Glider Addict
TracieB  Offline
Glider Addict

Lenexa, KS
Thanks for the update, Suz. I'm glad Mareki seems to be healing well. clap And I hope that the new living arrangements work out well for the three of them. hug2

Tracie
1 wonderful husband - Chris
1 goofy Yorkie - Dexter
2 naughty kitties - Chloe & Alek

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
1 spoiled Yorkie, Myles - April 5, 1993-June 5, 2007
1 sweet :wfb: Xavier - August 5, 2007-May 20, 2010
2 sweet :grey: :grey: Nara & Alkina - February, 2006-November, 2011

Re: Update: Mareki's Saga Continues [Re: glidergrl1513] #340256

M
MOEsMom
Unregistered
MOEsMom
Unregistered
M

WOW Suz, big improvement! Hope it continues to go well smile

Re: Update: Mareki's Saga Continues [Re: ] #340268
07/16/07 04:30 PM
07/16/07 04:30 PM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
She looks wonderful! So glad to hear she's doing so well! Hope everything works out with the condo! laugh

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove
Gliders: Eugene, Sandy, Seri; Bobbi, Spice; Star, Squiddi; Pearl, Pip; Petrie; Jimny, Pinocchio; Anna & Elsa
Dogs: Nacho & Dory
RIP my glider angels: Nynaeve, Poppy, Lan, Toffee, Zoey, Tika & Tas

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024